harmonia mundi is reissuing some of its older titles on CD

Oscar

Oct 3, 2022, 3:16:25 AM10/3/22
A fine release! Bought it upon initial release: Melnikov's Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues. Also, I noticed Melnikov's and Isabelle Faust's Vol.1 of Mozart Sonatas is o.o.p., but Vols.2 and 3 are as yet still selling. This says to me that the print-runs of newer titles are far scarcer than a decade ago. Buy 'em while they're hot! P.S. One assumes these new reissues are digital clones and exact packaging of the earlier digipak titles. P.P.S. Presto's harmonia mundi annual offer ends tonight, 3.X.2022.

<< These twenty-four preludes and fugues have become so closely associated with the personality and playing style of their ‘official interpreter’ (Tatiana Nikolaeva) that history has ended up deciding that “that’s the way to perform them” without looking any more deeply into the matter.

Yet this op.87 is brimming with fascinating answers for anyone who takes the trouble to ask the right questions; and it is not the least merit of Alexander Melnikov to have approached the work from first principles and come up with his own, eminently musical solutions.

Reissue from 2010. >>

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9326704--shostakovich-24-preludes-fugues

Néstor Castiglione

Oct 3, 2022, 6:33:36 PM10/3/22
The reissue is missing the accompanying DVD in the original set. Great performance for sure; up there with Nikolayeva 1962, Sheppard, Woodward, and Levit. Good to see it reissued. The original was commanding surprisingly steep prices on the used market for a few years. Haven't gotten around to giving a listen to Blanes and Minnaar; both are sitting on my desk still shrink-wrapped. One of these days...

Oscar

Oct 4, 2022, 2:34:57 PM10/4/22
On Monday, October 3, 2022 at 3:33:36 PM, Néstor Castiglione wrote:

> The reissue is missing the accompanying DVD in the original set. Great performance for sure;
> up there with Nikolayeva 1962, Sheppard, Woodward, and Levit. Good to see it reissued. The original
> was commanding surprisingly steep prices on the used market for a few years. Haven't gotten around
> to giving a listen to Blanes and Minnaar; both are sitting on my desk still shrink-wrapped. One of these days...

Interesting!! Forgot about the DVD. Jenny Lin's is another good Preludes and Fugues, Néstor. It was my imprint version. You may already have it. Issued in 2009, I believe.

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-14879/