Warner Classics bringing forth a new set of Furtwängler remasterings

Randy Lane

Jan 30, 2021, 9:47:33 AM1/30/21
Curious to find out more about the contents.

Likely just EMI/HMV originals.

If so, will the RIA Ring be included?

https://www.warnerclassics.com/release/beethoven-symphonies-1-3-eroica

John Fowler

Jan 30, 2021, 12:24:42 PM1/30/21
I hope Warner does a better job than they did with their 21 CD box "Wilhelm Furtwangler: the Great EMI Recordings".
It had some obvious omissions, even forgetting some important EMI studio recordings:
the Wagner Prelude & Liebestod from 1938, and postwar recordings of Mahler, Mozart, Tchaikovsky and lots of Wagner + the studio Die Walkure.

Live recordings previously issued by EMI:
Beethoven 2, 8, 9, Fidelio*
Brahms 1, 3, 4
Bruckner 7*, 8*
Mozart Don Giovanni*
Wagner Ring*
* not in "Wilhelm Furtwangler: the Great EMI Recordings"
An absolutely complete Warner WF box would would be about 50 CDs.

drh8h

Feb 3, 2021, 8:59:25 AM2/3/21
I suspect the rights to all of those live Salzburg opera performances have reverted to Orfeo. I know the Otello was reissued by them a few years ago. The same thing happened to the Szell broadcasts originally issued by Sony.

DH

Néstor Castiglione

Feb 3, 2021, 10:49:37 PM2/3/21
Glad to see this announced. Hoping the 1939 Beethoven 9 is reissued complete. The GCOC transfer cut the repeat in the scherzo in order to cram the performance together with an overture onto a single disc. I've read that Toshiba/EMI remastered this performance and that the results were splendid, but I've never heard that one. Anyway, glad to see that Warner isn't just going to be shoving pre-existing transfers into a new box à la Universal.

drh8h

Feb 4, 2021, 8:42:30 AM2/4/21
They don't specify what they mean by a "box." It could just be the same set of Beethoven symphonies EMI reissued numerous times. Unless someone has more information, I am not assuming this is a "complete" remastering of Furtwängler's recordings either studio, or otherwise.

DH

Randy Lane

Feb 4, 2021, 9:08:26 AM2/4/21
A clip from the Tower Japan announcement (pardon the Google Translate wierdness)

The two symphonies recorded here are for the "New Furtwängler Complete Works" scheduled to be released in the fall of 2021, and the 24bit / 192kHz remastered sound source from the original master tape by Studio Art & Son in 2021 is adopted. The LP will be the first public release of this new remastering. The newest remastered sound source so far was from Abbey Road Studios in 2010-2011, but this time it is left on the master tape more than ever with the latest equipment and a careful new remaster with even higher bits. The record has been reproduced. This sound source will be released in advance with this 180g analog LP (limited quantity production) and digital distribution only.

I think this will be everything available on Warner-owned tapes and disks.

John Fowler

Feb 4, 2021, 12:02:22 PM2/4/21
I wonder if it will include both Versions of the 1951 Bayreuth Beethoven 9th.
EMI recorded it live, but only issued it on LP with some patch sessions recorded at rehearsals.
The unedited live performance had to wait until 2008, when it was released on Orfeo.
https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphony-No-29-51/dp/B00129XQ2W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=furtwangler+bayreuth&qid=1612457666&s=music&sr=1-1
Orfeo supposedly used a radio tape, but EMI should have their own unedited mastertape of the performance in a vault somewhere.

Randy Lane

Feb 4, 2021, 12:11:45 PM2/4/21
EMIs tapes include some parts of the live performance and considerable portions are actually from the dress rehearsal. Questions remain whether the complete actual live performance was preserved in its entirety by EMI.

Randy Lane

Feb 4, 2021, 12:16:38 PM2/4/21
That the release includes dress rehearsal portions was revealed (in some opinions somewhat scandalously) by Elizabeth Schwarzkopf in her memoir of her late husband, the famed producer Walter Legge:

https://www.amazon.com/Off-Record-Memoir-Walter-Legge/dp/1555535194/ref=tmm_pap_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1612458763&sr=1-2

Phl Maestro

Feb 4, 2021, 1:21:13 PM2/4/21
I've long thought that the EMI Vienna recording of The Moldau is one of Furtwangler's most undervalued, as well as one of his best of non-German/Austrian music.

A new mastering wouldn't hurt.

Néstor Castiglione

Feb 4, 2021, 3:09:25 PM2/4/21
John Ardoin praised that recording highly in his "The Furtwängler Record." It's been awhile since I last dusted it off my bookshelf, but I seem to recall that he felt that the first few bars sounded a touch prosaic, before giving way to an interpretation whose sweep, color, and seamlessness of transitions put it among the conductor's finest. There have been two remasterings on CD from EMI (three if we count the Japanese SACD remasters); all of them sound fine. The earliest one had a dry ambience which emphasized the mid-range, with shallow bass, and recessed treble. The two later ones were louder and had a noticeably boosted bass. They also had what sounded like just a dab of added reverb to them. I'd be curious to hear how Art et Son would handle these recordings. Haven't heard the recent remasters of Furtwängler's Beethoven and Brahms on Warner, but I'm guessing that's their handiwork too?

drh8h

Feb 4, 2021, 7:42:46 PM2/4/21
If you are talking about the Beethoven Symphony box of a few years back, that was an Abbey Road Studios job from around 2010 for the JP SACDs. The Brahms I believe was also by them. Some Furtwängler recordings remastered by Art et Son were in the Philharmonia box.

DH

gggg gggg

Feb 12, 2021, 9:29:31 PM2/12/21
On Saturday, January 30, 2021 at 9:24:42 AM UTC-8, John Fowler wrote:
> On Saturday, January 30, 2021 at 8:47:33 AM UTC-6, randy...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Curious to find out more about the contents.
> >
> > Likely just EMI/HMV originals.
> >
> > If so, will the RIA Ring be included?
> >
> > https://www.warnerclassics.com/release/beethoven-symphonies-1-3-eroica
> I hope Warner does a better job than they did with their 21 CD box "Wilhelm Furtwangler: the Great EMI Recordings".
> It had some obvious omissions, even forgetting some important EMI studio recordings:
> the Wagner Prelude & Liebestod from 1938, and postwar recordings of Mahler, Mozart, Tchaikovsky and lots of Wagner + the studio Die Walkure.
>
> Live recordings previously issued by EMI:
> Beethoven 2, 8, 9, Fidelio*
> Brahms 1, 3, 4
> Bruckner 7*, 8*
> Mozart Don Giovanni*

(Recent Youtube upload):

Mozart - Don Giovanni Opera by Wilhelm Furtwängler (1954), NEW MASTERING (recording of the Century)

John Fowler

Feb 13, 2021, 11:43:44 PM2/13/21
Actually EMI issued 2 different Salzburg Don Giovannis - choice of Tito Gobbi or Cesare Siepi.
Also Brahms 1,2,3,4

IAN PANG

Jun 21, 2021, 4:49:17 AM6/21/21

John Fowler

Jun 21, 2021, 10:10:08 AM6/21/21
Now on JPC: 109.24 eu + 3.50 eu shipping = 112.74 eu
Release date: September 24
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/the-complete-wilhelm-furtwaengler-on-record/hnum/10607764

John Fowler

Jun 21, 2021, 10:18:35 AM6/21/21
CONTENTS LIST FROM JPC (messy) :
Furtwängler: Symphony No. 2; Adagio solenne from Symphonic Concerto
for Piano & Orchestra +Bach: St. Matthew Passion BWV 244 (live recording Konzerthaus Wien 1954); Air from Orchestral Suite No. 3; Brandenburg Concerto No.
3 +Wagner: Tristan und Isolde (complete recording); The Valkyrie (complete shot); Die Walküre (Act 3 / live recording Covent Garden 1937); Götterdämmerung (live recording Covent Garden 1937); Götterdämmerung (3rd scene act 3 / in two recordings); Prelude & Isoldes Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde (in two recordings); Siegfrieds Trauermarsch & Siefrieds Rheinfahrt aus Götterdämmerung (in two recordings); Prelude & Good Friday Magic from Parsifal; Siegfried Idyll; Tannhäuser Overture (in two recordings); The Flying Dutch Overture; Valkyrie Ride from Die Walküre; Overtures & Dance of the Apprentices from Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg; Lohengrin Overture (in two recordings)
+Beethoven: Symphonies Nos. 1, 3-9 (No. 5 in three recordings; Nos. 3, 4, 6, 9 in two recordings); Violin Concerto op. 61 (in two recordings); Romances No. 1 & 2 for violin & orchestra; Piano Concerto No. 5; Egmont Overture op. 84; Cavatina for string orchestra from String Quartet No. 13); Coriolane Overture op. 62; Leonore Overture No. 2; Fidelio (complete recording 1953)
+Mozart: Symphony No. 40; Serenades No. 10 "Gran Partita" & No. 13 "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" (No. 13 in two recordings); Le Nozze di Figaro Overture; The abduction from the Seraglio Overture; Arias "O zittre nicht" & "Der
Hölle Rache" from Die Zauberflöte +Brahms: Symphonies No. 1 & 2 (with alternative takes); Violin Concerto op. 77; Haydn Variations op. 56a (in two recordings); Hungarian Dances Nos. 1, 3, 10 (Nos. 1
& 10 in two recordings) +Schubert: Symphonies No. 8 "Unfinished" & No. 9 "The Great"; Overture, Entr'acte No. 3, Ballet No. 2 from Rosamunde D. 797 (in two recordings)
+Weber: Der Freischütz-Overture; invitation to dance; Oberon Overture; Euryanthe Overture
+Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto op. 64; A Midsummer Night's Dream Overture op. 21; The Hebrides Overture (in two recordings / incl. rehearsal recording)
+Strauss: Till Eulenspiegel op. 28 (in two recordings / incl. rehearsals); Death and Transfiguration op. 24; Don Juan op. 20
+Tchaikovsky: Symphonies Nos. 4 & 6; Serenade op. 48
+Mahler: Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen
+Schumann: Symphony No. 4; Manfred Overture op. 115
+Haydn: Symphonies No. 88
& 94 +Franck: Symphony in D
minor +Bruckner: 2nd movement from Symphony No. 7
+Bartok: Violin Concerto No. 2
+Liszt: Les Preludes
+Berlioz: Hungarian March from La Damnation de Faust op. 24 (in two recordings)
+Rossini: La Gazza ladra overture; Il Barbiere di Siviglia Overture
+Dvorak: Slavic Dance op. 46 No.
3 +J. Strauss II: Die Fledermaus-Overture; Emperor Waltz; Pizzicato-Polka (with & without
glockenspiel) +Gluck: Aleste overture (in two recordings); Iphigenie en Aulide Overture
+Cherubini: Anacreon Overture
+Nicolai: The Merry Wives of Windsor
Overture +Smetana: The Vltava
+Unreleased Recordings - Schubert: Symphony No. 8 (Copenhagen 1950); Test recordings with works by J. Strauss II, Wagner, Schubert, Tchaikovsky
+"Wilhelm Furtwänger - A Memoir" - documentaries and interviews
Artists: Erna Berger, Gertrude Pitzinger, Walther Ludwig, Kirsten Flagstad, Rudolf Bockelmann, Lauritz Melchior, Herbert Janssen, Edwin Fischer, Yehudi Menuhin, Wilma Lipp, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Elisabeth Höngen, Hans Hopf, Otto Edelmann, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Anton Dermota, Elisabeth Grümmer, Rudolf Schock, Ludwig Suthaus, Martha Mödl, Wolfgang Windgassen, Gottlob Frick, Sena Jurinac, Leonie Rysanek, Choir of the Bayreuth Festival, Vienna Boys' Choir, Vienna Singakademie, Choir of the Vienna State Opera, Berlin Philharmonic, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Vienna Philharmonic, Lucerne Festival Orchestra, Philharmonia Orchestra, Orchestra of the Bayreuth Festival, Wilhelm Furtwängler

John Fowler

Jun 21, 2021, 10:31:37 AM6/21/21
CONTENTS LIST FROM JPC (cleaned up by me)
There some obvious omissions – live recordings of operas from Salzburg, live Bruckner 7 & 8

FURTWANGLER: Symphony No. 2; Adagio solenne from Symphonic Concerto
for Piano & Orchestra

BACH: St. Matthew Passion BWV 244 (live recording Konzerthaus Wien 1954); Air from Orchestral Suite No. 3; Brandenburg Concerto No.3

WAGNER: Tristan und Isolde (complete recording); The Valkyrie (complete shot); Die Walküre (Act 3 / live recording Covent Garden 1937); Götterdämmerung (live recording Covent Garden 1937); Götterdämmerung (3rd scene act 3 / in two recordings); Prelude & Isoldes Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde (in two recordings); Siegfrieds Trauermarsch & Siefrieds Rheinfahrt aus Götterdämmerung (in two recordings); Prelude & Good Friday Magic from Parsifal; Siegfried Idyll; Tannhäuser Overture (in two recordings); The Flying Dutch Overture; Valkyrie Ride from Die Walküre; Overtures & Dance of the Apprentices from Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg; Lohengrin Overture (in two recordings)

BEETHOVEN: Symphonies Nos. 1, 3-9 (No. 5 in three recordings; Nos. 3, 4, 6, 9 in two recordings); Violin Concerto op. 61 (in two recordings); Romances No. 1 & 2 for violin & orchestra; Piano Concerto No. 5; Egmont Overture op. 84; Cavatina for string orchestra from String Quartet No. 13); Coriolan Overture op. 62; Leonore Overture No. 2; Fidelio (complete recording 1953)

MOZART: Symphony No. 40; Serenades No. 10 "Gran Partita" & No. 13 "Eine kleine Nachtmusik" (No. 13 in two recordings); Le Nozze di Figaro Overture; The abduction from the Seraglio Overture; Arias "O zittre nicht" & "Der Hölle Rache" from Die Zauberflöte

BRAHMS: Symphonies No. 1 & 2 (with alternative takes); Violin Concerto op. 77; Haydn Variations op. 56a (in two recordings); Hungarian Dances Nos. 1, 3, 10 (Nos. 1 & 10 in two recordings)

SCHUBERT: Symphonies No. 8 "Unfinished" & No. 9 "The Great"; Overture, Entr'acte No. 3, Ballet No. 2 from Rosamunde D. 797 (in two recordings)

WEBER: Der Freischütz-Overture; invitation to dance; Oberon Overture; Euryanthe Overture

MENDELSSOHN: Violin Concerto op. 64; A Midsummer Night's Dream Overture op. 21; The Hebrides Overture (in two recordings / incl. rehearsal recording)

R.STRAUSS: Till Eulenspiegel op. 28 (in two recordings / incl. rehearsals); Death and Transfiguration op. 24; Don Juan op. 20

TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphonies Nos. 4 & 6; Serenade op. 48

MAHLER: Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen

SCHUMANN: Symphony No. 4; Manfred Overture op. 115

HAYDN: Symphonies No. 88 & 94

FRANCK: Symphony in D minor

BRUCKNER: 2nd movement from Symphony No. 7

BARTOK: Violin Concerto No. 2

LISZT: Les Preludes

BERLIOZ: Hungarian March from La Damnation de Faust op. 24 (in two recordings)

ROSSINI: La Gazza ladra overture; Il Barbiere di Siviglia Overture

DVORAK: Slavic Dance op. 46 No.3

J.STRAUSS: Die Fledermaus-Overture; Emperor Waltz; Pizzicato-Polka (with & without
glockenspiel)

GLUCK: Aleste overture (in two recordings); Iphigenie en Aulide Overture

CHERUBINI: Anacreon Overture

NICOLAI: The Merry Wives of Windsor Overture

SMETANA: Vltava

Steven de Mena

Jun 21, 2021, 10:33:07 AM6/21/21
On Monday, June 21, 2021 at 7:10:08 AM UTC-7, John Fowler wrote:

> > 24 September 2021 Available as CD (55)
> > https://www.warnerclassics.com/release/complete-wilhelm-furtwangler
> Now on JPC: 109.24 eu + 3.50 eu shipping = 112.74 eu
> Release date: September 24
> https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/the-complete-wilhelm-furtwaengler-on-record/hnum/10607764

Not a single complete Bruckner Symphony?
How can that be???

Steve
Message has been deleted

MELMOTH

Jun 21, 2021, 11:23:23 AM6/21/21
Message has been deleted

John Fowler

Jun 21, 2021, 1:43:26 PM6/21/21
Very confusing:
The live Beethoven Symphony 2, Brahms Symphonies, Bruckner 7 & 8 and the Rome Radio Ring were first issued by EMI in the late '60s - early '70s on LP.
I was under the impression that EMI owned these tapes, but they are missing from the list.
This implies that the new box was limited to studio recordings, but there are live recordings on the list:
Bach St. Mathew Passion, Beethoven Symphony 9 in 2 performances (1951 Bayreuth + 1937 London??), and all that tantalizing 1930's Covent Garden Wagner.
Let's hope the list is incomplete.

Mark Obert-Thorn

Jun 21, 2021, 4:21:46 PM6/21/21
On Monday, June 21, 2021 at 10:31:37 AM UTC-4, John Fowler wrote:
> CONTENTS LIST FROM JPC (cleaned up by me)

Are they including any DG studio material? I wouldn't have thought so in a Warner release; but some things look like they were only done for Grammophon/Polydor 78s, like the Till with rehearsal, the other Eine Kleine recording, the other recordings of Hungarian Dances 1 & 10, etc. And then, there is evidence against it (they would have listed three Freischutz Overtures and another Beethoven 5th, for example).

Mark O-T

Néstor Castiglione

Jun 21, 2021, 4:51:00 PM6/21/21
This set comprises all of WF's studio recordings for Electrola and EMI (as well as a selection of posthumously issued live recordings). He never recorded a complete Bruckner symphony in the studio.

drh8h

Jun 21, 2021, 5:23:48 PM6/21/21
Whatever rights EMI/Warner had to the Salzburg material reverted to Orfeo. Whether they still retain rights, I know not. Same thing happened with the Szell/Salzburg live performances once on Sony.

DH

John Fowler

Jun 21, 2021, 6:04:02 PM6/21/21
Live recordings of Beethoven's Symphonies 2 (Vienna Philharmonic) & 8 (Stockholm Philharmonic), and Brahms Symphony 1 (Vienna Philharmonic) & Symphonies 2-4 (Berlin Philharmonic) were last issued and COPYRIGHTED in 2016 (Beethoven complete symphonies) and 2018 (Brahms complete symphonies).
Copyright by Parlophone Records, "a Warner Music Group Company".

Steven Reveyoso

Jun 21, 2021, 6:45:37 PM6/21/21
The 1937 Beethoven 9th from 1937 was a concert given in Queens Hall London and was recorded by HMV, ostensibly produced by Fred Gaisberg as was the case with the live Wagner performances from Covent Garden and Bruno Walter's 1938 concert with the Vienna Philharmonic of Mahler's 9th Symphony.

John Fowler

Jun 22, 2021, 6:06:22 AM6/22/21
The last time EMI issued the 1937 Ninth, it was part of a 2 disc set in the Great Conductors of the Century series. Unfortunately it was edited for time and a repeat was removed from the scherzo.
EMI also edited the postwar Bach St. Mathew Passion so it would fit on 2 CDs (Furtwangler also made some cuts of his own).
I hope both performances will have the EMI cuts restored in the new box.

John Fowler

Jun 22, 2021, 11:53:08 AM6/22/21
Another conundrum:
JPC lists Furtwangler's Symphony 2 in this box.
Furtwangler left two recordings:
Berlin Philharmonic studio recording on DG.
Viennna Philharmonic concert recording on Orfeo, which I assume this is, even though it has never before been released by EMI.
https://www.amazon.com/Furtw%C3%A4ngler-Symphony-No-Wilhelm-Furtwangler/dp/B0000044WN/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=furtwangler+symphony+2&qid=1624376812&sr=8-5
Message has been deleted

drh8h

Jun 23, 2021, 9:04:55 AM6/23/21
From Warner's website:

The unparalleled scope of this 55CD set makes it an essential for the music-lover. Not only is it the first collection to unite Furtwängler’s entire catalogue of studio recordings, it also encompasses every live recording he made with a view to commercial release.

So, in effect this should be his complete "authorized" recordings, for EMI, DG, and Decca.

But then, there's this:

Painstaking research has even unearthed a treasury of previously unpublished material, recorded in Vienna and Copenhagen.

DH

Randy Lane

Jul 8, 2021, 9:40:24 AM7/8/21

John Fowler

Jul 8, 2021, 1:59:21 PM7/8/21
One mystery solved: @ 2:56, it claims
"The complete studio recordings. Plus live performances recorded for release on disc. His Master's Voice (HMV aka EMI),
Telefunken, Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, Polydor".
This is pretty unheard of cooperation between the biggies.

A new mystery appears @ 3:51:
It is a 55 CD set,
consisting of 53 CDs in 192kHz/24bit + 10CDs in 96kHz/24bit + one Documentary CD in 44 kHz/16bit
I believe this adds up to 64 CDs, but @10:30 the video repeats the claim that this is a 55 CD set.
Quel mystère.
I am also surprised that the French branch of Warner is undertaking this project instead of the Germans or English.
Quelle appréhension.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Fowler

Jul 8, 2021, 3:20:54 PM7/8/21
https://wmg.jp/wilhelmfurtwangler/discography/24779/
First attempt at deciphering:

CD1
Weber: Opera "The Magic Bullet Archer" Op.77 ~ Overture
[Recording] 16. X.1926
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in
C minor, Op.67 [Record] 16 & 30.X.1926,
I.1927 Mendelssohn: Overture to The Summer's Night's Dream Op.21
J.S. Bach: Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major BWV.1068
- No.2: Air Schubert: Play Accompanying Music Rosamunde D.797 - Interlude No. 3, Ballet Music No. 2 [Recording] 13. VVI.1929, Hochschule für
Musik, Berlin Wirhelm Furtwengler (conductor)
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra Deutsche Grammophon
GmbH New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art &Son Studio, Annecy

CD2
Wagner: Prelude to The Opera Lohengrin - Act 1 Wagner: Tristan and Isolde - Prelude to Act 1, Death of Love
Schubert: Rosamunde, D.797 Overture R. Strauss: Symphonic Poem "Till Eulenspiegel's Funny Mischief"
Op.28 + With Rehearsal [Recording] 1930, Hochschule für Musik,
Berlin (conductor) Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor)
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Deutsche Grammophon GmbH
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD3
Mendelssohn: Overture "Fingal's Cave" Op.26 + Rehearsal
Berlioz: Dramatic Story "Faust's Punishment" Op.24 Hungarian March
Dvorak: Slavic Dance in B major Op.2 46-3 J.S.
Bach: Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in D major BWV.1047 - 1st & 2nd Movement Rossini: Overture to The Opera "Dorobo Kasasagi"
Brahms: Hungarian Dance Nos. 1 & 10 [
Recording]1930, Hochschule für Musik,
Berlin Weber (Edited by Berlioz): Solicitation to
Butoh [Recording] 1932, Hochschule für Musik,
Berlin (conductor) Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (Sound Source)
Deutsche Grammophon GmbH
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD4
Wagner: The Twilight of the Gods - Siegfried's Funeral March
Beethoven: Overture to the Play Egmont Op.84
Mozart: The
Marriage of Figaro Overture K.492 Mozart: Escape from the Palace Overture K.384 [Record] 1933, Hochschule für Musik, Berlin
Rossini: Overture to the Opera Sebilya's Barber Weber: Overture from The Magic Bullet Archer, Prelude to Act 3
[Record]1935, Hochschule für Musik, Berlin
MOZART: Aine Kleine Nachtumsik K.525
[Recording]28. XXII.1936 & VI.1937, Hochschule für Musik, Berlin
J. Strauss II: Overture
to The Komery [Record]28. XII.1936,
Hochschule für Musik, Berlin (conductor) Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor)
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra Deutsche Grammophon GmbH
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD5
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor,
Op.125, Chorus, live: 1.V.1937, Queen's Hall, London
Erna Berger (soprano), Gertrede Pitzinger (alto)
Walter Ludwig (tenor), Rudolf Vatzke
(Bass)
London Philharmonic Choir Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra Wilhelm Furtwängler (conductor)
Parlophone
Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son

CD6
Wagner: Valkyrie- Act 3 [Recording] live: 26.V.1937, Covent Garden, London (Soprano) Rudolf Beckelman (Bass Baritone) Maria Muller (Soprano), other London Philharmonic Orchestra Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor)
Classics)
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son

CD7-8
Wagner: Twilight of the Gods (excerpt) [Recording] live: 1.VI.1937, Covent Garden, London (Soprano) Laurits Merhior (Tenor)
Margarete Kluse (Mezzo-Soprano)
London Philharmonic Orchestra, Royal Opera Choir, Covent Garden, Conductor:
Parlophone Records (Warner
Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD9
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op.67 [Record]8. X & 3.XI.1937, Beethovensaal,
Berlin Wagner: Prelude to The First Act from Tristan and Isolde,
Death of Love [Recording]11. III.1938, Beethovensaal,
Berlin Wagner: Prelude to Act 1 of the Stage Sacred Celebration "Parzifar", Good Friday Music [Recording]5. III.1938,
Beethovensaal, Berlin Performed by Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor)
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
(Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD10
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 in B minor, Op.74 [Record] 25 & 27.X.1938,
Beethovensaal, Berlin Performed by Wilhelm Furtwengler
(conductor)
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
(Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD11
Furtwengler: Symphonic Concerto for Piano and Orchestra - 2nd 2nd 25. IV.1939, Beethovensaal, Berlin (Piano) Wilhelm Furtwengler (Conductor) Berlin Philharmonic
Orchestra Beethoven: String Quartet No. 13 in B major Op.130 -
5: Cavatina [Recorded] 15. XX.1940, Philharmonie, Berlin
Bruckner: Symphony No. 7 in E major - 2nd movement: Adagio [Record]7. IV.1942, Philharmonie, Berlin
Gluck : Overture to The Opera Arceste [Record]9. X.1942, Philharmonie, Berlin
Performs By Wilhelm Furtwengler (Conductor) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
(Sound Source) Parlophone Records, Teldec Classics,Telefunken (Warner Classics)
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD12
Brahms: Variations on Haydn's Theme, Op.56aa
[Recording] 8 & 23.XII.1943, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien
Beethoven: Symphony No. 6
in F major, Op.68 in C major, "Pastoral" [Recording] 22-23. XII.1943, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien Wien (conductor)
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Parlophone Records (Warner Classics)
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD13
Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D major, Op.61 RRecording]28-29. VIII.1947, Künsthaus, Lucerne (Violin) Wilhelm Furtwengler (Conductor) Lucerne Festival Orchestra (Sound Source) Parlophone Records (WarnerClassics)
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD14
Beethoven: Symphony No.3 In Eisteddefine Op.55 [Recording]10-12, 17.XI.1947 & 15.II.1949 , Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien
Beethoven: Coryoran Overture Op.62 [Record]25. XXI.1947, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien Performs Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
(Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio,

CD15
Mozart: Serenade No. 10 in B major K.361 "Gran Partita"
[Recording]11, 19, 26.XI & 3.XII.1947, Brahmssaal, Musikverein, Wien
(conductor) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Soloists (Sound Source) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art
& Son Studio, Annecy

CD16
Brahms: Symphony No. 1 in C minor, Op.68 [Record] 17-19 & 25.XI.1947, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien Wien (conductor) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (Sound Source) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD17
Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op.73 [Record] 20, 22, 24-25 III.1948, Kingsway Hall, London (conductor) Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor) London Philharmonic Orchestra (Sound Source) Decca Music Group
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy
Brahms: Symphony No. 2 in D major, Op.73 (decca first release) RRecording]20, 22, 24-25 III.1948, Kingsway Hall,
London Performance Wilhelm Furtwengler (Conductor) London Philharmonic Orchestra (Sound
Source: Remastered) Courtesy of Furtwengler Center

CD18
Wagner: The Twilight of the Gods - Brunhilde's Self-Sacrifice [Recording]26. III.1948, No.1 Studio, Abbey Road, London Kirsten Flagstart (Soprano) Wilhelm
Furtwengler (conductor) Philharmonia Orchestra
Mendelssohn: Overture "Fingal's Cave" Op.26 [Recording] 15. II.1949, Grosser Saal or Brahmssaal, Musikverein, Wien
Mozart: Symphony No. 40 in G minor, K.550 [Record]7-8. XII.1948 & 17.II.1949, Grosser Saal or Brahmssaal, Musikverein, Wien (conductor) Vienna
Philharmonic Orchestra
(Sound Source) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son

CD19
Wagner: Siegfried Idyll
[Recording]16-17. II.1949, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Wien Wagner: Overture to the
Opera Tannhieser [Recorded] 17 & 22.II.1949, Grosser
Saal, Musikverein, Wien Wagner: The
Twilight of the Gods - Siegfried, Journey to the Line [Record]23. II.1949, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Wien Wagner: Overture to the
Wandering Dutch [Record]30-31. III.1949, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Wien Performs Wien (conductor)
Vienna Philharmonic
Orchestra (Sound Source) Parlophone Records (Warner
Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son

CD20
Brahms: Variations on Haydn Theme Op.56a
[Recording]30. III & 2.IV.1949, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien
Wagner: Valkyrie: Valkyrie's
Cavalry [Recording]31. III.1949, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Wien Berlioz: Dramatic Story Faust's Punishment Op.24 - Hungarian March
[Record]31. III.1949, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Wien Mozart: Aine Kleine Nachtmusik, K.525
[Recording]1. IIV.1949, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Wien Brahms: Hungarian Dance - Nos.
1, 3, 10 [Record]4. IV.1949, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Wien Wagner: The Meisterzinger of
Nuremberg - Prelude to Act 1,
Dance of the Apprentices [Record] 1 & 4.IV. (Prelude), 4.IV.1949 (Dance of the Apprentices),
Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien (conductor) Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor)
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Parlophone Records
(Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit by Art & Son

CD21
Wagner: The Opera Loengrin Prelude to Act 1 [Recording]29. VIII.1949, Knsthaus, Lucerne
Brahms: Violin Concerto in D major, Op.77 [Record]29-31. VIII.1949, Knsthaus, Lucerne
(Violin) Wilhelm Furtwengler (Conductor) Lucerne Festival Orchestra (Sound Source) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics)
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son

CD22
Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A major, Op.92 [Record] 18-19. I.1950, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien
Schubert: Symphony No. 8 in B minor, D.759, Unfinished [Record], 19-21. I.1950, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien (conductor) Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor)
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Parlophone Records
(Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit
from original tapes by Art& Son

CD23
R. Strauss: Symphonic Poem "Death and Transformation" Op.24 [Recording]21-24. I.1950, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,Wien
J. Strauss II: Emperor Enbuye Op.437 [Record]24. I.1950, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in G major, Op.60 [Recording] 25 & 30.I.1950, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (sound source) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit Art & Son

CD24
Wagner: Twilight of the Gods- Siegfried's Funeral March [Record]31. I.1950, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Wagner: Prelude to The Meisterzinger of Nuremberg
- Act 3 [Recording]1. II.1950, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Weber: Overture to the Opera Oberon [Record]1. II.1950, Grosser Saal or Brahmssaal, Musikverein, Wien
Schubert: Play Accompanying Music Rosamunde - Interlude No.3, Ballet Music No.
2 [Recording] 2. II.1950, Brahmssaal, Musikverein,
Tchaikovsky: String Serenade in C major,
Op.48- 2 & 4 [Recorded]2. II.1950, Brahmssaal, Musikverein,
Wien J. Strauss II and Josef Strauss: Pizzicato Polka (with and without
Glockenspiel) [Recording]3. III.1950, Brahmssaal, Musikverein,
Mozart: The Magic Flute - "Don't Be Afraid", "The Flame of
Vengeance Burns in My Heart Like Hell" [Recording]3. II.1950, Brahmssaal, Musikverein, Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Wilma Lipp (soprano: Mozart) (Sound Source) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering
2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son Studio,

CD25
Schubert: Overture to Rosamunde Play [Record]3-17. I.1951, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op.36 [Record] 4-10. I.1951, Grosser Saal, Musikverein
Cherbini: Overture to The Anakleon [Record]11. II.1951, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Wien (conductor) Wilhelm Furtwengler Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit
by Art & Son Studio, Annecy from original taps
by Art & Son Studio, Annecy ( Schubert ) Tchaikovsky, Cherubini)

CD26
Haydn: Symphony No. 94 in A major,[Recording]11-17. I.1951, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Nikolai: Overture to the Merry Wife of Windsor [Record]18. I.1951, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Schumann: Manfred Overture Op.115
[Recording]24-25. I.1951, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Smetana: Mordau [Record]24. II.1951, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Parlophone Records (Warner Classics)
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit
from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD27
BEETHOVEN: Piano Concerto No. 5 in E major, Op.73, Emperor [Record] 19-20. II.1951, No.1 Studio, Abbey Road, London Edvin Fischer (Piano) Wilhelm
Furtwengler (Conductor) Philharmonia Orchestra
Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) Remastering 2020 in 192kHz/24-bit
from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy
Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor, Op.64 [Recording]25-26. VV.1952, Jesus
Christus Kirche, Berlin-Dahlem (Violin) Wilhelm Furtwengler (Conductor) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (Sound Source) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics)
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bitfrom original tapes by Anne & Son Studio

CD28
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op.125 ,Chorus [Recorded]live: 29.VII.1951, Festspielhaus, Bayreuth (Soprano) Elisabeth Hengen (Contralto) Hans Hopp (Tenor) Otto Edelman (Bass) Bayreuth Festival Orchestra & Choir Wilhelm Furtwängler (Conductor)
Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit
from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy '

CD29-30
Schubert: Symphony No. 9 in C major D.944 'Great] [Recording] 27-28. XI & 2-4.XII.1951, Jesus Christus Kirche, Berlin-Dahlem
Furtvengler: Symphony No.2 in G minor [Record]22. XXI-4. XII.1951, Jesus Christus Kirche, Berlin-Dahlem
Haydn: Symphony No. 88 in G major [Record] 4-5. XII.1951, Jesus Christus Kirche, Berlin-Dahlem)
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra Deutsche Grammophon
GmbH New remastering 2021 in
192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son

CD31
Wagner: The Twilight of the Gods Brunhilde's Self-Sacrifice
[Recording]22. VI.1952, Kingsway Hall, London
Mahler: Songs of The Young People [Recorded]24-25. VVI.1952, Kingsway Hall, London (Soprano: Wagner)
Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (Baritone: Mahler)
Wilhelm Furtwengler (Conductor) Philharmonia Orchestra (Sound
Source) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics)
Remastering 2020 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD32
Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 in C major, Op.21 [Record] 24, 26-28.XI.1952, Grosser
Saal, Musikverein, Wien Beethoven:
Symphony No. 6 in F major, Op.68 in F major, Denen [ Record] 24-25. XI.1952, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien Wien
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Parlophone Records (Warner Classics)
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit
from original tapes by Art & Son Studio,'

CD33
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E major, Op.55, "Heroes" [Record] 24-25. XI.1952, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Parlophone Records (Warner Classics)
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son

CD34
Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in A major, Op.60 [Record] 1-2. XII.1952, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Wagner: Overture to The Tannhieser [Record]2-3. XII.1952, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
(Sound Source) Parlophone Records
(Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art

CD35
Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D major, Op.61 [Record] 7-8. IIV.1953, Kingsway Hall, London
Beethoven Romance No. 1 in F major Op.40 Beethoven: Romance No. 2 in F major Op.50 [Recording] 9. IV.1953, Kingsway Hall, London (Violin)
Wilhelm Furtwengler (Conductor) Philharmonia Orchestra (Sound Source) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics)
Remastering 2016 in 96kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD36
Schumann: Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op.120 [Record]14. V.1953, Jesus Christus Kirche, Berlin-Dahlem
Frank: Symphony in D minor FWV.48 [Record]14-15. XII.1953, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor)
Berlin philharmonic orchestra (Schumann) Vienna
Philharmonic Orchestra (Frank) Deutsche
Grammophon GmbH, Decca Music Group New remastering
2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original taps by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD37
Bartók: Violin Concerto No.2 in B
minor, Sz.112 [Record] 12-13. IX.1953, No. 1 Studio, Abbey
Road, London (Violin)
Wilhelm Furtwengler (Conductor)
Philharmonia Orchestra Parlophone Records (Warner Classics)
Remastering 2020 in 192kHz/24-bit
from original tapes by Art & Son

CD38
Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor, Op.67 [Record] 28.II. & 1.III.1954, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien
Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (Conductor)
Parlophone Records (Warner Classics)
New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit
from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD39
Wagner: Twilight of the Gods - "Siegfried's Funeral March", "Siegfried, Journey to the Line"
R.Strauss: Symphonic Poem "Don Juan" Op.20 R. Strauss: Symphonic Poem "Till Eulenspiegel's Funny Mischief" Op.28
Liszt: Prelude, S.97 [Recording] 2-3 III.1954, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wilhelm Furtwengler Vienna Philharmonic (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in
192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD40
Wagner: Prelude to the First Act 4. III.1954, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Weber: Overture to The Magic Bullet Archer Op.77 Weber: Overture to Eulianthe Op.81 5-6. III.1954, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Gluck: Overture to The Opera Arceste Gluck: Overture to Ored's Ifigeny
8. III.1954, Grosser Saal, Musikverein,
Beethoven: Leonore Overture No.2 Op.72a 4-5. IIV.1954, Hochschule für Musik,
Berlin (conductor) Wilhelm Furtwengler
(conductor) Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
(Wagner, Weber, Gluck) Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (Beethoven) (Sound Source)
Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit
from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD41-43
J.S. Bach: Matthew's Hard Song BWV.244 (All Songs) [Recorded] live: 14 & 17.IV.1954, Grosser Saal, Konzerthhaus (Tenor: Evangelist) Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (Baritone: Jesus) Elisabeth Grümmer (Soprano: Me medium I, Pilate's wife) Marga Hefgen (Alto: Woman II) Otto Edelman (Bass: Judah, Petro,Pilate)
Vienna Zing Academy, Vienna Boys' Choir Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New editing by Stéphane Toparkian and new remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy *64-66 (?)

CD44-47
Wagner: "Tristan and Isolde" (all songs) 10-22. VVI.1952,
Kingsway Hall, London (Performance) Kirsten Flagstart (Isolde)
Ludwig Zoothaus (Tristan) Blanche Seebom (Brangene) Josef Grindle (King
Marche) Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (Krvenal) Edgar Evans (Meroto)
Rudolph Schock (Makido, Mizuo) Roderick Davis (Helmsman) Philharmonia Orchestra Wilhelm Furtwengler (conductor) Parlophone Records (Warner
Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art &Son

CD48-49
Beethoven: Opera Fidelio Op.62 (all songs) 3-19. XX.1953, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien Martha Mödle (Leonore) Wolfgang Vintgassen (Florestan)
Gottrope Flick (Rocco) Otto Edelman (Don Pitzalo) Alfred Pell (Don Fernando)
Sena Urinacci (Marceline) Rudolf Schock (Yachino), Vienna State Opera
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Wilhelm Furtwengler (Conductor) [Sound
Source] Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in
192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD50-53
Wagner: The Play Valkyrie (all songs) [Recorded] 28. IX-6. X.1954, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien Martha Medle (Brünnhilde) Leonie Lizanek (Zieklinde) Ferdinand Franz (Vautan) Ludwig Zoothaus (Sigmund) Margarete Kluse (Fricca Gottrope Frick (Hundink), other Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Wilhelm Frütwengler (conductor)
Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit
from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD54: FIRST RELEASE
--- Schubert: Symphony No.8 in B minor D.759 Unfinished [Recording] live: 1.X.1950, OddFellow Palæet, Copenhagen Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Wilhelm Furtvengler (Conductor) Originally broadcasted by Danc Radio in 1950
Source Henning Swidth New remastering2021 in 192kHz/192kHz/1950 24-bit
from original tapes by Henning Smindth
--- J. Strauss: Emperor Circle Dance Op.437 (test recording by through) I.1950, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien Sound Source:Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy
--- Wagner: Twilight of the Gods - Siegfried's Funeral March (Test Recording by Through) I.1950, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art &
Son Studio, Annecy
--- Schubert: Play Accompanying Music Rosamunde - Interlude
No. 3 (Test Recording & Unpublished Take) I.1950, Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Wien Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bitfrom original tapes by Art & Son
--- Tchaikovsky: String Serenade in C major Op.48 - 3rd movement: Elegy (test recording through) II.1950, Brahmssaal, Musikverein, Wien (Sound Source) Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit
from original tapes by Art & Son Studio,
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra Wilhelm Furtwengler
Tuning, buzzer, sound source of the beginning of the performance mistake
Editing from original tapes 1949/1950. Recordings in Vienna and Lucerne.
Lucerne Festival Orchestra Wilhelm Furtwengler
Parlophone Records (Warner Classics) New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

CD55: DOCUMENTARY
Memories of Furtwangler by Jon Tolansky
This audio documentary interview was recorded by John Transkey, a producer and writer who specializes in documentaries for classical performers, and was recorded in London in 1993 (Edward Downes, Remo Laurichera) and in London in 1994 (Hugh Bean, Hugh Maguire, Gervas de Deux. Payet, Harold Nash), in London in 1995 (Eudie Menuin, Bertolt Goldschmidt), in Weybridge in 1995 (Bernardo Dennis-Brown, John Meek), in Lucerne in 1995 (Elisabeth Furtwengler), berlin in 2000 interviews with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, 2002 in London (Peter Gelhorn) and 2003 in London (Christopher Rayburn). Some of these interviews will be published for the first time here.
Remastering in 44.1kHz/16-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy

Not only is it the first collection to integrate all of Furtvengler's studio recordings, but it also includes live recordings for commercial release. A number of studies have also unearthed large, unpublished sources of material recorded in Vienna and Copenhagen. Each recording is more reproduced on the master tape than ever before with the latest digital devices and a new remastered with even higher bits. The accompanying booklets and documentary CDs, both credible and exhaustive, further reveal Furtvengler's philosophy and genius for revealing the serenity that brings the score to life.
# One of the greatest conductors of the 20th century, Wilhelm Furtwergler, is seen as the best conductor in the Austrian and German repertoire (especially Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner and Bruckner), making him an important standard for performers and music lovers.
Furtvengler had close ties to the Berliner Philderen, the Vienna Philharmonic and the Bayreuth Music Festival.
Throughout the turbulent times of the country's history, Furtvengler saw himself as a loyal guardian of the great German musical tradition. His approach to scoring was not autocratic. He was to re-live it in an organic way that seemed spontaneous. His belief is that the details of the music are "exactly as it sounds" ("... wie es klingt") was that needed to be conveyed, understood and evaluated. <
# This collection is the first integration of all furtvengler studio recordings and live recordings created with commercial releases in
perspective. For completeity, the collection includes sound sources from both the Warner Classics catalog (formerly HMV-EMI and Telefunken) and the Universal catalog (Polydor, Decca, Deutsche Grammophon). A special licensing agreement with Universal allowed the use of the original master. With the cooperation of Stéphane Topakian, Vice President of the French Furtvengler Association, many sound sources have been queried and procured, and some of them are also included by the Furtvengler Center in Japan.

# Includes the first sound source to conduct the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra in 1950.
J. Strauss: Emperor
Circular Dance Wagner: Siegfried's Funeral March
from "Twilight of the Gods" Schubert: Interlude No. 3 from "Rosamunde" Tchaikovsky:
Elegy from "String Serenade."
# "Schubert: Unfinished Symphony", a broadcast sound source recorded by Danish Broadcasting In Copenhagen on October 1, 1950, contains the first sound source provided with optimal sound
quality. This is the only live recording that wasn't originally for commercial release, but it's specially recorded.
# Most of the sound sources included here have been remastered at 192kHz/24bit in 2021 at Art & Son Studio in Annecy, France from the original master (except for
the following sound
sources). Remastering is created from the best available sources, including the original master tape where possible, and the original 78-rotation SP and LP matrix.
The first half of CD31 (Wagner and Mahler), CD 37 (Bartók), and CD 27 (Beethoven's "Emperor") uses a 2020, 192kHz/24bit remastered sound source for the Philharmonia Orchestra's 75th Anniversary BOX.
CD35 (Beethoven) used 96kHz/24bit remastered sound source in 2016 for menu-in complete works.
Cd55 documentary remastered at 44kHz/16bit.
Art&Son Studio, which has remastered many works, including warner classics as well as other labels, has been remastered, including the complete works of Barbilori, the complete cruytance, the los tropovich, the complete Genette Nveu, and the menu-in.
# Each disc is enclosed in a paper jacket designed with an original
jacket. # The 160-page booklet (English, French, German)
features essays and many photos about Furtvengler.
Stéphane Topakian, Vice President of the French Furtvengler Association, and Christophe Hénault, Art & Son
Studio Engineer, explain the procurement of sound sources
and their problems.

Bob Harper

Jul 8, 2021, 3:28:08 PM7/8/21
On 7/8/21 12:14 PM, John Fowler wrote:(snip)

> How about this? (first attempt) source JPC:
The Englishing of everything shows just how ridiculous Amazon's stated
reason for blocking your review was, is, and continues to be.

Bob Harper

drh8h

Jul 8, 2021, 5:00:52 PM7/8/21
Is the Los Tropovich a Mexican/Russian restaurant that provides a menu-in? Maybe Barbi-Lori will wait on you. The cruytances come on the salad with a side of nveu.

Couldn't resist.

DH

Owen

Jul 8, 2021, 11:54:46 PM7/8/21
On 7/8/21 5:00 PM, drh8h wrote:
(snip!)

> Is the Los Tropovich a Mexican/Russian restaurant that provides a menu-in? Maybe Barbi-Lori will wait on you. The cruytances come on the salad with a side of nveu.
>
> Couldn't resist.

Please trim your quotes. It is considered good usenet etiquette
(netiquette) that readers should not have to scroll down a couple of
hundred lines per post that were the same as the last post, particularly
when the change is only a coupe of lines of reply. See above example.

Google may do scroll this for you automatically, but real newsreaders don't.

Thank you.

-Owen

John Fowler

Jul 9, 2021, 10:25:18 AM7/9/21
Apparent typographical error in the Warner Furtwangler video @ 3:51:
53 CDs in 192kHz/24bit
10 CDs in 96kHz/24bit (should read 1 CD?)
1 Documentary CD in 44 kHz/16bit
This adds up to 64 CDs, but it is a 55 CD set.

According to Warner Japan and Tower Records only one music CD was not newly remastered in 2021:
--- CD 35 (Beethoven Violin Concerto + Romances, 1953 Philharmonia) is “Remastering 2016 in 96kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy”
--- CD 1-34 and 36-54 are “New remastering 2021 in 192kHz/24-bit from original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy”
--- CD 55 (the audio documentary) is “Remastering in 44.1kHz/16-bit by Art & Son Studio, Annecy
https://wmg.jp/wilhelmfurtwangler/discography/24779/

I am surprised that the remasterings of DG studio recordings are not the same ones used in last years DG box.
I am also surprised that the French branch of Warner is undertaking this project instead of the Germans or English.
Quelle appréhension. VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RD_SdWLE9NHZY&v=_SdWLE9NHZY&feature=emb_rel_end

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steven de Mena

Jul 10, 2021, 4:36:45 PM7/10/21
On Saturday, July 10, 2021 at 1:32:09 PM UTC-7, John Fowler wrote:

> Warner Music’s “The Complete Wilhelm Furtwangler on Record” should have been called “The Complete Wilhelm Furtwangler Studio Recordings (+ a few live recordings that slipped through).”
> - 38½ CDs recorded by HMV (EMI - now owned by Warner).
> - 7 CDs recorded “live” by HMV
> - ½ CD recorded by Telefunken.
> - 4 CDs recorded by Polygram, the 78rpm predecessor of Deutsche Grammophon.
> - 2½ CDs recorded by Deutsche Grammophon
> - 1½ CDs recorded by Decca

All references to "Polygram" should be replaced with "Polydor"

Steve
Message has been deleted

John Fowler

Jul 11, 2021, 1:01:55 PM7/11/21
Warner Music’s “The Complete Wilhelm Furtwangler on Record” should have been called “The Complete Wilhelm Furtwangler Studio Recordings (+ a few live recordings that slipped through the cracks).”
- 38½ CDs recorded by HMV (EMI - now owned by Warner).
- 7 CDs recorded “live” by HMV
- ½ CD recorded by TELEFUNKEN.
- 4 CDs recorded by POLYDOR, the 78rpm predecessor of Deutsche Grammophon.
- 2½ CDs recorded by DG (Deutsche Grammophon)
- 1½ CDs recorded by DECCA

It’s unprecedented for two of the biggies, Warner Music (HMV + Telefunken) and Universal Music Group (the rest) to get together on a project of this size.
Especially so since eight CDs are duplicated from last year’s 34 CD box “Complete Recordings on Deutsche Grammophon and Decca” (which included a lot of “live” recordings).

There is one addition to Furtwangler’s discography:
The third movement “Elegy” from Tchaikovsky’s Serenade for Strings (CD54).
In 1950 he recorded movements 2, 3 & 4, but only 2 & 4 were issued on LP (CD24).
The first movement was not recorded (apparently).
It seems like a dumb idea to put the third movement on a separate disc – it would have fit perfectly between movements 2 and 4 on CD24.

With the exception of one CD, everything, even the DG recordings, are “newly remastered in 24-bit/192kHz from the original tapes by Art & Son Studio, Annecy” (CD35 was remastered in 24-bit/96kHz in 2016).
Everything sounds good to my 72 year-old ears (but the last bunch also sounded good).

By limiting themselves to studio recordings, Warner has issued a box with obvious and enormous gaps:
- No Beethoven Symphonies 2 and 8
- No Brahms Symphonies 3 and 4
- No Bruckner Symphonies (except for a single movement recorded in 1942)
Furtwangler died in 1954, leaving several major projects incomplete.
(HMV had plans to complete their Beethoven cycle, including a new studio Ninth, and their Brahms cycles with the Vienna Philharmonic).

In 1963, DG issued the first in a long series of Furtwangler radio broadcasts on LP:
Bruckner Symphony No.9 with the Berlin Philharmonic.
An amazing performance in congested sound.
No recording date was given on the LP jacket, for reasons that soon became clear.
It turned out this was a 1944 broadcast by Deutsches Rundfunk, the state broadcasting service of Nazi Germany.
Still controversial in 1963.
German HMV (Electrola) and DG followed up with LPs of additional (mostly postwar) broadcasts:
Beethoven 2 (Vienna Philharmonic), Beethoven 6 (Stockholm Philharmonic or Berlin Philharmonic), Brahms 3 & 4 (Berlin Philharmonic), Bruckner 4 & 5 (Vienna Philharmonic), and Bruckner 7 & 8 (Berlin Philharmonic).
I wish Warner had included these recordings in this box: the gaps in Furtwangler’s repertoire are glaring.
[EMI even issued a complete Wagner Ring from Rome Radio on LP.]

In 2018, when Warner issued Furtwangler’s Brahms in a six CD box, they actually went with broadcast performances for all four Symphonies, the German Requiem, Piano Concerto No.2 and the Violin & Cello Concerto.
Only the Haydn Variations, three Hungarian Dances and the Violin Concerto were studio recordings.
Seemed like a good idea….. sigh.

Those broadcasts that are included in this box were special occasions, approved by Furtwangler for public release:
- Four CDs from the 1937 Berlin Philharmonic tour of Great Britain:
---- Beethoven’s Ninth with the London Philharmonic Choir (CD5), and
---- Wagner’s Ring with Flagstad and Melchior at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, unfortunately not preserved in it’s entirety. Only a little over three hours survive (CDs 6-8).
- Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony at the 1951 postwar re-opening of the Bayreuth Festival.
- Bach’s St. Matthew Passion at the 1954 Salzburg Easter Festival. Furtwangler may have sensed his own mortality. He died a few months later, but the first issue had to wait fifty years for CD.

------------------------------ PRE-WAR RECORDINGS ------------------------------

CD1: Berlin Philharmonic, POLYDOR (1926-1929)
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No.5 (first of three) 1926
- BACH: Orchestral Suite No.3 BWV1068 - Air, 1929
- MENDELSSOHN: Midsummer Nights Dream Overture, 1929
- SCHUBERT: Rosamunde Ballet Music No.2 (first of two) 1929
- SCHUBERT: Rosamunde Entr’acte No.3 (first of two) 1929
- WEBER: Der Freischutz Overture (first of three) 1926
recordings for nearly everything: all four Symphonies, the German Requiem, the Piano Concerto No.2 (Fischer) and Concerto for Violin & Cello (Boskovsky & Brabec). Only the Haydn Variations
CD2: Berlin Philharmonic, POLYDOR (1930)
- SCHUBERT: Rosamunde Overture (first of two)
- R.STRAUSS: Till Eulenspiegel + rehearsal (first of two)
- WAGNER: Lohengrin Prelude to Act One (first of three)
- WAGNER Tristan und Isolde - Prelude & Liebestod (first of two)

CD3: Berlin Philharmonic, POLYDOR (1930-1932)
- BACH: Brandenburg Concerto No.3 BWV1047, 1930
- BERLIOZ: Damnation of Faust - Rakoczy March (first of two) 1930
- BRAHMS: Hungarian Dance No.1 (first of two) 1930
- BRAHMS: Hungarian Dance No.10 (first of two) 1930
- DVORAK: Slavonic Dance Op.46, No.3, 1930
- MENDELSSOHN: Hebrides Overture + rehearsal (first of two) 1930
- ROSSINI: La Gazza ladra Overture, 1930
- WEBER: Invitation to the Dance (orch. Berlioz), 1932

CD4: Berlin Philharmonic, POLYDOR (1933-1936)
- BEETHOVEN: Egmont Overture, 1933
- MOZART: Serenade K.525 Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (first of two) 1936
- MOZART: Marriage of Figaro Overture, 1933
- MOZART: Abduction from the Seraglio Overture, 1933
- ROSSINI: Barber of Seville Overture, 1935
- J.STRAUSS: Die Fledermaus Overture, 1936
- WAGNER: Die Gotterdammerung - Siegfried's Funeral March (first of three) 1933
- WEBER: Der Freischutz Overture (second of three) 1935
- WEBER: Der Freischutz Prelude to Act 3, 1935

CD5: Berlin Philharmonic, HMV LIVE (1937)
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No.9 with London Philharmonic Choir (Berger, Pitzinger, Ludwig, Watzke), concert performance at Queen’s Hall, London (first of two)

CD6: Covent Garden, London, HMV LIVE (1937)
- WAGNER: Die Walkure Act 3
London Philharmonic, Royal Opera House at Covent Garden (Flagstad, Muller, Bockelmann)

CD7-8: Covent Garden, London, HMV LIVE (1937)
- WAGNER: Die Gotterdammerung - excerpts
London Philharmonic, Royal Opera House at Covent Garden (Flagstad, Melchior, Nezadal, Thorborg, Janssen, Weber)

CD9: Berlin Philharmonic, HMV (1938)
- BEETHOVEN: Symphony No.5 (second of three)
- WAGNER: Tristan und Isolde - Prelude & Liebestod (second of two)
- WAGNER: Parsifal - Prelude & Good Friday Music

CD10: Berlin Philharmonic, HMV (1938)
- TCHAIKOVSKY: Symphony No.6 ‘Pathetique’

Jul 11, 2021, 1:43:45 PM7/11/21
Before anyone asks me how I can say "Everything sounds good to my 72 year-old ears (but the last bunch also sounded good)" though this box has not yet been released:
That is my way of avoiding having to pass judgement on audio matters.
Even if the sound was a dramatic improvement, I probably couldn't recognize the difference.
But the sound I heard on the YouTube sampler did sound good.
When the box arrives, I will sample it and check it for any surprises before updating the rough draft and posting my review on Amazon.
There really shouldn't be any surprises - I am familiar with all these recordings except CD54.

MELMOTH

Jul 11, 2021, 3:05:42 PM7/11/21
John Fowler a formulé ce dimanche :
> Before anyone asks me how I can say "Everything sounds good to my 72 year-old
> ears (but the last bunch also sounded good)" though this box has not yet been
> released:

Have you had a (recent) audiogram ?!
And please quote CORRECTLY...Please...

John Fowler

Jul 11, 2021, 11:48:10 PM7/11/21
Correction:
- 37¼ CDs recorded by HMV (EMI) - now owned by Warner.
- 8 CDs recorded “live” by HMV
- ¾ CD recorded by TELEFUNKEN.
- 4 CDs recorded by POLYDOR, the 78rpm predecessor of DG

John Fowler

Jul 12, 2021, 3:17:08 PM7/12/21
Correction:
I omitted Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries (Vienna 1949), which is on CD 20.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Fowler

Jul 13, 2021, 3:45:12 PM7/13/21
On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 5:31:48 AM UTC-5, John Fowler wrote:
> On Monday, July 12, 2021 at 6:54:54 PM UTC-5, John Fowler wrote:
> > I pre-ordered the new 55 CD Furtwangler box from JPC.de.
> > Release date is September 24
> > Price is EUR 109.24 + EUR 3.50 shipping = EUR 112.74
> > $133.75
>
> I pre-ordered the new 55 CD Furtwangler box from JPC.de.
> https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/the-complete-wilhelm-furtwaengler-on-record/hnum/1060776
> Release date is September 24
> Price is EUR 109.24 + EUR 3.50 shipping = EUR 112.74
> $133.75
> https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/the-complete-wilhelm-furtwaengler-on-record/hnum/10607764

I pre-ordered the new 55 CD Furtwangler box from JPC.de.
Release date is September 24
Price is EUR 109.24 + EUR 3.50 shipping = EUR 112.74
$133.75
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/the-complete-wilhelm-furtwaengler-on-record/hnum/10607764

Frank Berger

Jul 13, 2021, 3:56:05 PM7/13/21
27 out of the 42 posts in this thread so far are yours. It's almost as if you are talking to yourself. Some of them, like the latest are just repeats of your earlier posts with no new information. What's going on?

John Fowler

Jul 13, 2021, 4:08:04 PM7/13/21
When I clicked on the first link, it took me to “Noemi Nadelmann: Sempre Libera”
I figured something went wrong so I reposted the link

drh8h

Jul 13, 2021, 5:18:15 PM7/13/21

> > 27 out of the 42 posts in this thread so far are yours. It's almost as if you are talking to yourself. Some of them, like the latest are just repeats of your earlier posts with no new information. What's going on?
> When I clicked on the first link, it took me to “Noemi Nadelmann: Sempre Libera”
> I figured something went wrong so I reposted the link

I have also been sent to Noemi when clicking this thread. I suppose I need to find out who she is.

mswd...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2021, 6:18:37 PM7/13/21
On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 2:56:05 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> 27 out of the 42 posts in this thread so far are yours. It's almost as if you are talking to yourself. Some of them, like the latest are just repeats of your earlier posts with no new information. What's going on?

I don't think such an interrogation is necessary, even if John got a bit redundant. I'm grateful for his posts- the detail and thoroughness of the factual information he offers is pretty much unmatched here. I shouldn't have to respond to the posts of his that I read to confirm that he isn't talking to himself. Thanks, John!

Frank Berger

Jul 13, 2021, 6:25:28 PM7/13/21
On 7/13/2021 6:18 PM, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 2:56:05 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
>> 27 out of the 42 posts in this thread so far are yours. It's almost as if you are talking to yourself. Some of them, like the latest are just repeats of your earlier posts with no new information. What's going on?
>
> I don't think such an interrogation is necessary, even if John got a bit redundant.

Oh, so you thought he got a bit redundant, did you? You needn't have mentioned it.

I'm grateful for his posts- the detail and thoroughness of the factual information he offers is pretty much unmatched here. I shouldn't have to respond to the posts of his that I read to confirm that he isn't talking to himself. Thanks, John!

I was overwhelmed by the redundancy and corrections. YMMV.

mswd...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2021, 6:45:11 PM7/13/21
On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 5:25:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 7/13/2021 6:18 PM, mswd...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 2:56:05 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> >> 27 out of the 42 posts in this thread so far are yours. It's almost as if you are talking to yourself. Some of them, like the latest are just repeats of your earlier posts with no new information. What's going on?
> >
> > I don't think such an interrogation is necessary, even if John got a bit redundant.
> Oh, so you thought he got a bit redundant, did you? You needn't have mentioned it.

I said "if", not "though." That was my attempt to acknowledge your own view. I don't think it is relevant one way or the other.

If our attitude about all these things is YMMV then why bring up the repetition at all? What this group needs is on-topic posts about recordings, and Fowler seems to provide that quite frequently. One more time: thank you, John!

MiNe109

Jul 13, 2021, 6:46:58 PM7/13/21
That's because you're reading on google groups. Those of us on
newsreaders have to choose to skip or scroll, which is a shame given the
usefulness of the content and the general regard for the author.

No, I don't have a solution. I'm just concerned the situation might
tempt someone into top-posting!

Frank Berger

Jul 13, 2021, 7:04:36 PM7/13/21
Let me get this straght so I don't screw up in the future. I t was not my place to question John's verbosity, but it's perfectly OK for you to tell me so. I get it now.

Neal Grofman

Jul 14, 2021, 2:09:24 AM7/14/21
On Tuesday, July 13, 2021 at 6:04:36 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:

> > I said "if", not "though." That was my attempt to acknowledge your own view. I don't think it is relevant one way or the other.
> >
> > If our attitude about all these things is YMMV then why bring up the repetition at all? What this group needs is on-topic posts about recordings, and Fowler seems to provide that quite frequently. One more time: thank you, John!
> >
> Let me get this straght so I don't screw up in the future. I t was not my place to question John's verbosity, but it's perfectly OK for you to tell me so. I get it now.

I mainly read here and post rarely. I count myself one among what I assume to be a large group of John Fowler fans. John, you have my thanks spanning many years. For others, I am reminded of the adage that begins "If you don't have anything nice to say,..."

John Fowler

Jul 14, 2021, 7:10:45 AM7/14/21
ALPHABETICAL ORDER
I'm unstoppable.
Studio recordings unless otherwise indicated.
BPO = Berlin Philharmonic, LPO = London Philharmonic, VPO = Vienna Philharmonic

BACH:
-- Brandenburg Concerto No.3: BPO 1930
-- Orchestral Suite No.3 - Air: BPO 1929
-- St. Matthew Passion: VPO 1954 - “live” recording
BARTOK: Violin Concerto No.2 (Menuhin): Philharmonia 1953
BEETHOVEN:
-- Symphony No.1: VPO 1952
-- Symphony No.3: VPO 1947 & 1952
-- Symphony No.4: VPO 1950 & 1952
-- Symphony No.5: BPO 1926 & 1937 or VPO 1954
-- Symphony No.6: VPO 1943 & 1952
-- Symphony No.7: VPO 1950
-- Symphony No.9: BPO 1937 or Bayreuth 1951 - both “live” recordings
-- Coriolan Overture: VPO 1947
-- Egmont Overture: BPO 1933
-- Leonore Overture No.2: BPO 1954
-- String Quartet Op.130 - Cavatina: BPO 1940
-- Piano Concerto No.5 (Fischer) Philharmonia 1951
-- Violin Concerto (Menuhin) Lucerne 1947 or Philharmonia 1953
-- Romances for Violin & Orchestra (Menuhin) Philharmonia 1953
-- Fidelio - complete opera: VPO 1953
BERLIOZ: Damnation of Faust - Rakoczy March: BPO 1930 or VPO 1949
BRAHMS:
-- Symphony No.1: VPO 1947
-- Symphony No.2 + some alternate takes: LPO 1928
-- Hungarian Dance No.1: BPO 1930 or VPO 1949
-- Hungarian Dance No.3: VPO 1949
-- Hungarian Dance No.10: BPO 1930 or VPO 1949
-- Variations on a Theme by Haydn: VPO 1943 & 1949
-- Violin Concerto (Menuhin) Lucerne 1949
BRUCKNER: Symphony No.7, Adagio: BPO 1942
CHERUBINI: Anacreon Overture: VPO 1951
DVORAK: Slavonic Dance Op.46, No.3: BPO 1930
FRANCK: Symphony: VPO 1953
FURTWANGLER:
-- Symphony No.2: BPO 1951
-- Symphonic Concerto (Fischer), second movement: BPO 1939
GLUCK: Alceste Overture: BPO 1942 or VPO 1954
HAYDN:
-- Symphony No.88: BPO 1951
-- Symphony No.94: VPO 1951
LISZT: Les Preludes: VPO 1954
MAHLER: Lieder eines Fahrenden Gesellen (Fischer-Dieskau) Philharmonia 1952
MENDELSSOHN:
-- Hebrides Overture: BPO +rehearsal 1930 or VPO 1949
-- Midsummer Nights Dream Overture: BPO 1929
-- Violin Concerto (Menuhin) BPO 1952
MOZART:
-- Symphony No.40: VPO 194
-- Serenade K.361 "Gran Partita": VPO 1947
-- Serenade K.525 “Eine Kleine Nachtmusik”: BPO 1936 or VPO 1949
-- Abduction from the Seraglio Overture: BPO 1933
-- Marriage of Figaro Overture: BPO 1933
-- Die Zauberflote arias “O zitt’re nicht”, “Der Holle Rache” (Wilma Lipp soprano) VPO 1950
NICOLAI: Merry Wife of Windsor Overture: VPO 1951
ROSSINI:
-- Barber of Seville Overture: BPO 1935
-- Gazza Ladra Overture: BPO 1930
SCHUBERT:
-- Symphony No.8: VPO 1950
-- Symphony No.9: BPO 1951
-- Rosamunde Overture: BPO 1930 or VPO 1951
-- Rosamunde Ballet Music No.2: BPO 1929 or VPO 1950
-- Rosamunde Entr’acte No.3: BPO 1930 or VPO 1950
SCHUMANN:
-- Symphony No.4: BPO 1953
-- Manfred Overture: VPO 1951
SMETANA: Vltava (Moldau) from Ma Vlast: VPO 1951
J.STRAUSS:
-- Die Fledermaus Overture: BPO 1936
-- Emperor Waltz: VPO 1950
-- Pizzicato Polka (with and without Glockenspiel) VPO 1950
R.STRAUSS:
-- Don Juan: VPO 1954
-- Till Eulenspiegel: BPO +rehearsal 1930 or VPO 1954
-- Tod und Verklarung: VPO 1950
TCHAIKOVSKY:
-- Symphony No.4: VPO 1951
-- Symphony No.6: BPO 1938
-- Serenade for Strings, movements 2,3,4: VPO 1950
WAGNER: OPERAS AND VOCAL EXCERPTS:
-- Die Walkure - Act 3 from Covent Garden, LPO 1937 - “live” recording
-- Die Walkure - complete opera: VPO 1954
-- Gotterdammerung – excerpts from Covent Garden, LPO 1937 - “live” recording
-- Gotterdammerung - Brunhilde’s Immolation (Flagstad): Philharmonia 1948 & 1952
-- Tristan und Isolde - complete opera: Philharmonia 1952
WAGNER: ORCHESTRAL EXCERPTS:
-- Fliegende Hollander Overture: VPO 1949
-- Gotterdammerung - Siegfried’s Rhine Journey: VPO 1949 & 1954
-- Gotterdammerung - Siegfried's Funeral March: BPO 1933 or VPO 1950 & 1954
-- Lohengrin Prelude to Act One: BPO 1930 or Lucerne 1949 or VPO 1954
-- Meistersinger Prelude to Act One: VPO 1949
-- Meistersinger Prelude to Act Three: VPO 1950
-- Meistersinger - Dance of the Apprentices: VPO 1949
-- Parsifal - Prelude & Good Friday Music: BPO 1938
-- Siegfried Idyll: VPO 1949
-- Tannhauser Overture VPO 1949 & 1952
-- Tristan und Isolde - Prelude & Liebestod: BPO 1930 & 1938
-- Die Walkure - Ride of the Valkyries: VPO 1949
WEBER:
-- Euryanthe Overture: VPO 1954
-- Der Freischutz Overture: BPO 1926 & 1935 or VPO 1954
-- Der Freischutz Prelude to Act 3: BPO 1935
-- Oberon Overture: VPO 1950
-- Invitation to the Dance (orch. Berlioz): BPO 1932

Frank Berger

Jul 14, 2021, 8:37:33 AM7/14/21
My mentioning John's multiple and double postings was meant to be constructive. There is no reason for anyone to think I also don't appreciate his posts. I would appreciate them more without the redundancy and repetition. Regarding your adage, anyone who thinks "nice" means agreement or support or something like that isn't interested in effective communication.

mswd...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2021, 9:30:43 AM7/14/21
On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 7:37:33 AM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:
> My mentioning John's multiple and double postings was meant to be constructive. There is no reason for anyone to think I also don't appreciate his posts. I would appreciate them more without the redundancy and repetition. Regarding your adage, anyone who thinks "nice" means agreement or support or something like that isn't interested in effective communication.

So if you think someone may not be interested in effective communication, you tell them? I have to laugh.

I do generally believe that favoring truth over honor a bit more would do the world some good, so I guess I just need to think about all this.

Al Eisner

Jul 14, 2021, 9:05:08 PM7/14/21
John: I second those who find your posts on such sets invaluable, and
I say that despite my lack of interest in a large Furtwängler set.
Amd I find the above type of alphabetical summary, with dates, to
be the most useful form for such information. (Even if I were a
candidate for buying it, I would be happy to wait until I had acquired
it before needing a way to locate performances by CD.)

Frank has made a constructive suggestion (despite an appearance of
churlishness), and I have one more. Inevitably, as you develop your
understanding of a set, you find corrections to make. What I would
suggest is that when you report corrections, it would be best go avoid
a long string of quoted text within quoted text, which nakes posts
harder to read. Rathef, you could consider stating the corrections
and then provide the updated version of the full list.

Of course how you post is entirely your choice, and the information
will be valuable regardless. Keep up the good work.
--
Al Eisner

Frank Berger

Jul 14, 2021, 10:06:17 PM7/14/21
Absolutely no one suggested his posts were not valuable. Certainly not me. And I resent the implication.

and
> I say that despite my lack of interest in a large Furtwängler set.
> Amd I find the above type of alphabetical summary, with dates, to
> be the most useful form for such information.  (Even if I were a
> candidate for buying it, I would be happy to wait until I had acquired
> it before needing a way to locate performances by CD.)
>
> Frank has made a constructive suggestion (despite an appearance of
> churlishness), and I have one more.  Inevitably, as you develop your
> understanding of a set, you find corrections to make.  What I would
> suggest is that when you report corrections, it would be best go avoid
> a long string of quoted text within quoted text, which nakes posts
> harder to read.  Rathef, you could consider stating the corrections
> and then provide the updated version of the full list.

My post was no more churlish than yours. Your suggestion is identical to what I was suggesting, just coated in fake sugar candy and more verbose.

Al Eisner

Jul 14, 2021, 11:35:53 PM7/14/21
Well, I disagree wuth everything in your response, but I'm happy to
leave it to others to judge. Anyway, I appreciate your agreeing with
my suggestion.
--
Al Eisner

mswd...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2021, 9:07:42 AM7/15/21
On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 9:06:17 PM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:

> My post was no more churlish than yours. Your suggestion is identical to what I was suggesting, just coated in fake sugar candy and more verbose.

Geez, Frank, what is under your skin?

Frank Berger

Jul 15, 2021, 9:28:36 AM7/15/21
I should like being called churlish?

John Fowler

Jul 15, 2021, 12:11:21 PM7/15/21
My people prefer to be called Churlish-Americans.

Frank Berger

Jul 15, 2021, 12:20:19 PM7/15/21
I don't hail from Churland. My people are Polish, Ukranian, Latvian (I could be called Courlandish-American, I suppose) and Belarusian. If course we identify as none of those at all, really; we ID as Jewish and American and a few as Israeli. Those eastern European places were merely, and often inhospitable, way stations. I have horror stories from each of the 4 regarding treatment of Jews in general and members of my family in particular.

mswd...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2021, 12:34:54 PM7/15/21
On Thursday, July 15, 2021 at 8:28:36 AM UTC-5, Frank Berger wrote:

> I should like being called churlish?

You should wonder if you're perhaps sounding churlish. :-)

That' doesn't mean you ARE (in fact, it's not something I would associate with you at all). It just means your short note came across that way.

John Fowler

Jul 16, 2021, 12:27:49 PM7/16/21
“LIVE” PERFORMANCES IN THIS BOX:
These were special occasions, recorded by EMI engineers, and approved by Furtwangler for possible release, though none were published during his lifetime.
The first four CDs were recorded during the conductor and orchestra’s 1937 visit to London, part of the King George VI coronation festivities:
-- CD5: Beethoven Ninth Symphony in Queen’s Hall with the Berlin Philharmonic and the London Philharmonic Choir (1937)
-- CD6-8: Wagner Ring (1937) with Flagstad and Melchior at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden (the London Philharmonic is the pit band). The entire Ring was recorded, but only Die Walkure Act 3 and two hours of Die Gotterdammerung survive.
-- CD28: Beethoven Ninth Symphony at the 1951 postwar re-opening of the Bayreuth Festival. This was issued on LP in 1955 as a memorial to the recently deceased conductor.
-- CD41-43: Bach St. Matthew Passion at the 1954 Salzburg Easter Festival. Furtwangler may have sensed his own mortality and viewed this as his memorial. He died a few months later.
-- CD54: Schubert Symphony 8: Vienna Philharmonic “live” on tour in Copenhagen (not approved for release by Furtwangler, not sure what it’s doing here).

Mark Obert-Thorn

Jul 17, 2021, 9:34:35 AM7/17/21
On Friday, July 16, 2021 at 12:27:49 PM UTC-4, John Fowler wrote:
> -- CD54: Schubert Symphony 8: Vienna Philharmonic “live” on tour in Copenhagen (not approved for release by Furtwangler, not sure what it’s doing here).

I was wondering that, myself. If this, then why not the live Bruckner 7th and 8th that came out on EMI? The only Bruckner here is the Telefunken 78 set of the Adagio from the 7th. And why not the live versions of all four Brahms symphonies that EMI previously issued? Here, we only get the studio 1st and 2nd. (Don't get me wrong -- this looks like a fantastic box, and I will certainly be pre-ordering it; but CD 54 probably should have been issued separately, if only to allay questions like this.)

Mark O-T

bogdan

Jul 17, 2021, 1:09:57 PM7/17/21
Perhaps they have another box "Furtwangler off Record" in the works...

David Altschuler

Jul 23, 2021, 10:38:04 AM7/23/21
I'm not interested in the philosophical consistency of the selection, or each work's suitablility with the title of the box. I'm just glad all these works got a fresh coat of paint. Hope it's good quality paint. And sure, it would have been nice to have more Brahms and Bruckner.

drh8h

Aug 3, 2021, 2:01:29 PM8/3/21
Agreed. And I am not interested in hearing complaints that these are "EMI" recordings. The EMI name in the record world belongs to Universal. So Warner recordings are what they now are.

DH

John Fowler

Aug 27, 2021, 3:27:19 PM8/27/21

Frank Berger

Aug 27, 2021, 3:40:55 PM8/27/21
Not from my perspective. JPC is about $157.6 including shipping. I assume there's no tax. Amazon is about $170 including tax. As a prime member, I get free shipping. I suppose Amazon shipping could being the difference up to $30.

Steven de Mena

Aug 27, 2021, 3:52:56 PM8/27/21
On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 12:40:55 PM UTC-7, Frank Berger wrote:

> Not from my perspective. JPC is about $157.6 including shipping. I assume there's no tax. Amazon is about $170 including tax. As a prime member, I get free shipping. I suppose Amazon shipping could being the difference up to $30.

Calculate again the JPC cost. I get USD $132.98 out the door to the US.

John Fowler

Aug 27, 2021, 4:28:58 PM8/27/21
JPC pre-order price (July 13) = 109.24 euros + 3.50 euros shipping (a lot less than Amazon UK)
= 112.74 euros.
As of today, August 27, that is $132.98

Frank Berger

Aug 27, 2021, 5:25:42 PM8/27/21
The price before you put in the cart is 129.99 EURO with an asterisk, which is not explained anywhere that I could find. After you add the item to the cart is shows as 109.99 EURO. That's where I went wrong.
I suppose the the asterisk includes a VAT that I don't have to pay in the U.S?????? Knowing that now, I am more likely to consider jpc in the future, I suppose.

Gonzalo Candia

Sep 27, 2021, 9:24:10 PM9/27/21
Have anyone already listened to some of the remastering of this set? Any opinion? Thanks and best from Chile! Gonzalo.-

John Fowler

Sep 29, 2021, 5:38:36 PM9/29/21
Still waiting for mine. In the meantime, I found this review from French Amazon, reprinted on UK Amazon (translated by Amazon):
Furtwängler has rightly become a legend. Beyond the fascinating history intertwined with that of Germany during the Second World War, its rivalry (and hatred) towards a certain “Mr. K.”, it is also the often poorly recorded testimony of the end of an era, of an orchestral tradition of the end of the 19th century.

This box set is a nice tribute of 55 cd, but frustrating on several points. If we are very happy to have all the studio Furt that was broken into several labels (here, EMI, DG, POLYDOR and DECCA merge, it's quite weird to handle DG covers in a WARNER box), there is still a lot missing.

Let's start with the positive. The legend Furt is there, with its operas of the end (La Walkyrie, Tristan Fidelio) and its legendary orchestral (the symphonies of Beethoven and Brahms in particular, truncated with inaudible live symphonies that will not be missed by anyone). The few DG recordings are legendary (Schumann's famous 4th) and the extremely rare Decca (2 CDs including a mythical Franck symphony). Contract filled and boxes checked with the original pouches.

Next door are a lot of old things that I will listen carefully. But from what I mentioned above, remastering is impressive. Furt has been mistreated by technique and modern sound engineers have done a rather mind-blowing dusting job worth praising, including live performances that were previously reputed to be simply rotten (I am thinking of Bach's Holy Matthew, which is here impeccably audible).

But I don't really understand the editorial choice of what we put in the box. Any Furt on record? It is very far from it. If there is the studio and live (I do not understand at all the choice of what we put for them), many things (very audible) are incomprehensibly missing and yet multi republished in the past. The two Italian Ring of very good quality go through the trap (it could have deserved a nice remastering work) like his Don Giovanni which has always been appreciated by amateurs. So much for the most frustrating thing. A big blue Furtwangler box had appeared with lots of treasures in it, often live... This is all forgotten.

It is true that Furtwangler on record is anarchic. Too much live, very (too) poorly recorded versions (Furtwangler totally mocked the restitution on the disc), duplicates triplons quadruplons of the same work. This box set seeks to streamline all that, but makes very violent cuts of famous recordings. The 3 big sets that I quote are the cruelest... I probably forget many others. Many original covers are “missing”, simply because they did not exist, for recordings dating back to the 20s sometimes!

But we are not going to sulk our pleasure anyway, because the box is very neat, the sound work is of quality, and the instructions very interesting (and in French). The essential is there, despite these slightly cruel cuts... EMI had well edited the Ring of the RAI, just not to put it on, I feel terrible ghost pain! We will go back for an ultimate version such as it yet a little too sold by Warner!

On artistic quality, I have always appreciated Furtwangler, a unique sound, a vision that is always very romantic and poignant, always intelligent, even if its tempi are necessarily slow. Jochum is also in his wake.

The character will divide just as much (not for his supposed collaboration with the enemy who was never, but for the morgue of the character much worse than that of a Karajan yet already well imbued with his person)... But what a vision.

A vision of another time, which marks again and always. Every fan of orchestra and opera must know it. And the editorial work, admittedly frustrating on the points mentioned, deserves to be praised, because the team started from scratch and did not lazily pile up past reissues... Universal and especially Deutsche Grammophon should be inspired by it in the future.
10 people found this helpful
Report abuse

drh8h

Oct 3, 2021, 3:40:46 PM10/3/21
It arrived a few days ago. For the most part, transfers are excellent and even above. No doubt someone will claim a pitching decision was wrong. Some listeners might find the pre-WWII 78s shrill, but these days transfer philosophy seems to have shifted to keeping surface to create an illusion of high frequency content where it does not exist. The early 1950 sessions with the VPO, engineered by A. C. Griffith, later of 78 remastering fame, are outstanding. They may be about as close as we can get to the true Furtwängler sound. A French reviewer on Amazon complained of lack of bass in this set (I wonder how many tracks he had listened to), but in my experience EMI recordings with deep bass are elusive, if there are such, at least from those days.

DH

Gonzalo Candia

Oct 3, 2021, 4:53:07 PM10/3/21
On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 4:40:46 PM UTC-3, drh8h wrote:
> It arrived a few days ago. For the most part, transfers are excellent and even above. No doubt someone will claim a pitching decision was wrong. Some listeners might find the pre-WWII 78s shrill, but these days transfer philosophy seems to have shifted to keeping surface to create an illusion of high frequency content where it does not exist. The early 1950 sessions with the VPO, engineered by A. C. Griffith, later of 78 remastering fame, are outstanding. They may be about as close as we can get to the true Furtwängler sound. A French reviewer on Amazon complained of lack of bass in this set (I wonder how many tracks he had listened to), but in my experience EMI recordings with deep bass are elusive, if there are such, at least from those days.
>
> DH

Thank you so much to both of you! Very informative comments!

Steven Reveyoso

Oct 4, 2021, 12:18:13 PM10/4/21
I just received two copies of this set, one purchased as a present. Has anyone experienced any missing discs with this set? The two copies I received are missing disc 11 (music of Furtwangler, Beethoven, Bruckner and Gluck).What I have played so far, however, sounds excellent.

Steve

John Fowler

Oct 4, 2021, 2:00:41 PM10/4/21
Mine arrived Monday, Oct 4 from JPC.de.
No missing discs.
Fortunately it was well-cushioned in a larger than necessary box, so it survived a nasty blow without damage.
Three complaints:
1) The recording dates are not listed on the jackets, only the date of first publication (the recording dates are in the booklet).
2) The English-language essay on page 98 is titled “Wie es klingt”.
3) No index - More (unpaid) work for me. I will publish the index here in a day or two.

John Fowler

Oct 5, 2021, 12:51:45 AM10/5/21
Is this the raw, unedited Beethoven Ninth from the 1951 Bayreuth Festival, previously available on Orfeo?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Symphony-No-Ludwig-Van/dp/B00129XQ2W/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=beethoven+bayreuth+furtwangler&qid=1633406805&s=music&sr=1-7

In 2008, Orfeo issued the Bavarian Radio's own tape of the performance, which turned out to be different from the EMI LP first issued in 1955 as a memorial to the recently deceased conductor.
It turns out that producer Walter Legge had edited the live performance, patching in some takes from the rehearsal in place of the real thing.
Somewhat unethical.
The recording on CD 28 is not the familiar old EMI recording (last featured in a Great Recordings of the Century remastering).
The old EMI CD timed in at 75:04 (over four tracks).
The new CD 28 times in at 77:20 (over 11 tracks).
Three tracks on CD 28 are devoted to "hall ambience".
Total hall ambience = 2 minutes, 31 seconds of throat clearing, coughing and sneezing.
The finale on CD 28 is spread over five tracks, versus just one track for all previous CDs.
Adding to the confusion, the Orfeo CD times in at 74:32 (over four tracks) without the separate tracks for audience participation, and only one track for the finale.
Unfortunately, I do not possess the Orfeo CD - I am relying on the photo of the back cover on the Amazon UK website.

Can anyone else contribute to this conversation?

Message has been deleted

John Fowler

Oct 5, 2021, 3:12:29 PM10/5/21
INDEX TO COMPOSERS:
(Operas and vocal excerpts are at the end of the list)
BPO = Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, LPO = London Philharmonic, VPO = Vienna Philharmonic

BACH:
-- Brandenburg Concerto No.3: BPO-1930 (CD3)
-- Orchestral Suite No.3 Air: BPO-1929 (CD1)
-- St. Matthew Passion: VPO-1954 “live” (CD41-43)
BARTOK: Violin Concerto No.2 with Yehudi Menuhin: Philharmonia 1953 (CD37)
BEETHOVEN:
-- Symphony No.1: VPO-1952 (CD32)
-- Symphony No.3: VPO-1947 (CD14), VPO-1952 (CD33)
-- Symphony No.4: VPO-1950 (CD23), VPO-1952 (CD34)
-- Symphony No.5: BPO-1926 (CD1), BPO-1937 (CD9), VPO-1954 (CD38)
-- Symphony No.6: VPO-1943 (CD12), VPO-1952 (CD32)
-- Symphony No.7: VPO-1950 (CD22)
-- Symphony No.9: BPO-1937 (CD5), Bayreuth 1951 (CD29) - both “live” recordings
-- Coriolan Overture: VPO-1947 (CD14)
-- Egmont Overture: BPO-1933 (CD4)
-- Leonore Overture No.2: BPO-1954 (CD40)
-- String Quartet Op.130 - Cavatina: BPO-1940 (CD11)
-- Piano Concerto No.5 with Edwin Fischer: Philharmonia 1951 (CD27)
-- Violin Concerto with Yehudi Menuhin: Lucerne 1947 (CD13), Philharmonia 1953 (CD35)
-- Romances for Violin & Orchestra with Menuhin: Philharmonia 1953 (CD35)
BERLIOZ: Damnation of Faust - Rakoczy March: BPO-1930 (CD 3), VPO-1949 (CD20)
BRAHMS:
-- Symphony No.1: VPO-1947 (CD16)
-- Symphony No.2: LPO-1948 (CD17)
-- Hungarian Dance No.1: BPO-1930 (CD3), VPO-1949 (CD20)
-- Hungarian Dance No.3: VPO-1949 (CD20)
-- Hungarian Dance No.10: BPO-1930 (CD3), VPO-1949 (CD20)
-- Variations on a Theme by Haydn: VPO-1943 (CD12), VPO-1949 (CD20)
-- Violin Concerto with Yehudi Menuhin: Lucerne 1949 (CD21)
BRUCKNER: Symphony No.7 - Adagio: BPO-1942 (CD11)
CHERUBINI: Anacreon Overture: VPO-1951 (CD25)
DVORAK: Slavonic Dance Op.46,No.3: BPO-1930 (CD3)
FRANCK: Symphony: VPO-1953 (CD36)
FURTWANGLER:
-- Symphony No.2: BPO-1951 (CD29-30)
-- Symphonic Concerto with Edwin Fischer, second movement: BPO-1939 (CD11)
GLUCK:
-- Alceste Overture: BPO-1942 (CD11), VPO-1954 (CD40)
-- Iphigenie en Aulide: VPO-1954 (CD40)
HAYDN:
-- Symphony No.88: BPO-1951 (CD30)
-- Symphony No.94: VPO-1951 (CD26)
LISZT: Les Preludes: VPO-1954 (CD39)
MAHLER: Lieder eines Fahrenden Gesellen with Fischer-Dieskau: Philharmonia 1952 (CD31)
MENDELSSOHN:
-- Hebrides Overture: BPO-1930 with rehearsal (CD3), VPO-1949 (CD18)
-- Midsummer Night’s Dream Overture: BPO-1929 (CD1)
-- Violin Concerto with Yehudi Menuhin: BPO-1952 (CD27)
MOZART:
-- Symphony No.40: VPO-1948 (CD18)
-- Serenade K.361 "Gran Partita": VPO-1947 (CD15)
-- Serenade K.525 “Eine Kleine Nachtmusik”: BPO-1936 (CD3), VPO-1949 (CD20)
-- Abduction from the Seraglio Overture: BPO-1933 (CD4)
-- Marriage of Figaro Overture: BPO-1933 (CD4)
NICOLAI: Merry Wives of Windsor Overture: VPO-1951 (CD26)
ROSSINI:
-- Barber of Seville Overture: BPO-1935 (CD4)
-- Gazza Ladra Overture: BPO-1930 (CD3)
SCHUBERT:
-- Symphony No.8: VPO-1950 - two recordings: studio (CD22) and “live” (CD54)
-- Symphony No.9: BPO-1951 (CD29)
-- Rosamunde Overture: BPO-1930 (CD2), VPO-1951 (CD25)
-- Rosamunde Ballet Music No.2: BPO-1929 (CD1), VPO-1950 (CD24)
-- Rosamunde Entr’acte No.3: BPO-1929 (CD1), VPO-1950 (CD24)
SCHUMANN:
-- Symphony No.4: BPO-1953 (CD36)
-- Manfred Overture: VPO-1951 (CD26)
SMETANA: Vltava (Moldau) from Ma Vlast: VPO-1951 (CD26)
J.STRAUSS:
-- Die Fledermaus Overture: BPO-1936 (CD4)
-- Emperor Waltz: VPO-1950 (CD23)
-- Pizzicato Polka: VPO-1950 with and without glockenspiel (CD24)
R.STRAUSS:
-- Don Juan: VPO-1954 (CD39)
-- Till Eulenspiegel: BPO-1930 with rehearsal (CD2), VPO-1954 (CD39)
-- Death and Transfiguration: VPO-1950 (CD23)
TCHAIKOVSKY:
-- Symphony No.4: VPO-1951 (CD25)
-- Symphony No.6: BPO-1938 (CD10)
-- Serenade for Strings, movements 2,3,4: VPO-1950 (CD24 + CD54)
WAGNER - ORCHESTRAL EXCERPTS:
-- Fliegende Hollander Overture: VPO-1949 (CD19)
-- Gotterdammerung - Siegfried’s Rhine Journey: VPO-1949 (CD19), VPO-1954 (CD39)
-- Gotterdammerung - Funeral March: BPO-1933 (CD4), VPO-1950 (CD24), VPO-1954 (CD39)
-- Lohengrin Prelude to Act One: BPO-1930 (CD2), Lucerne 1949 (CD21), VPO-1954 (CD40)
-- Meistersinger Prelude to Act One: VPO-1949 (CD20)
-- Meistersinger Prelude to Act Three: VPO-1950 (CD24)
-- Meistersinger - Dance of the Apprentices: VPO-1949 (CD20)
-- Parsifal - Prelude & Good Friday Music: BPO-1938 (CD9)
-- Siegfried Idyll: VPO-1949 (CD19)
-- Tannhauser Overture VPO-1949 (CD19), VPO-1952 (CD34)
-- Tristan und Isolde Prelude & Liebestod: BPO-1930 (CD2), BPO-1938 (CD9)
-- Die Walkure - Ride of the Valkyries: VPO-1949 (CD20)
WEBER:
-- Euryanthe Overture: VPO-1954 (CD40)
-- Der Freischutz Overture: BPO-1926 (CD1), BPO-1935 (CD4), VPO-1954 (CD40)
-- Der Freischutz Prelude to Act 3: BPO-1935 (CD4)
-- Oberon Overture: VPO-1950 (CD24)
-- Invitation to the Dance (orch. Berlioz): BPO-1932 (CD3)

CD 54: PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED HMV TEST PRESSINGS (1950)
with the Vienna Philharmonic:
--- SCHUBERT: Symphony No.8 ‘Unfinished’ (recorded live on tour in Copenhagen)
--- TCHAIKOVSKY: Serenade for Strings - Elegy (third movement), Furtwangler’s only recording.
+ alternate takes of Schubert, J.Strauss, Wagner

CD 55: DOCUMENTARY: “Memories of Furtwangler”

OPERAS AND VOCAL EXCERPTS:

BEETHOVEN: Fidelio: 1953 VPO
with Modl, Windgassen, Jurinac, Schock, Frick, Edelmann (CD50-51)

MOZART: Die Zauberflote arias: “O zitt’re nicht”, “Der Holle Rache” 1950 VPO
with Wilma Lipp soprano (CD24)

WAGNER: Die Walkure:
--- 1937 Act 3: “live” Royal Opera House, Covent Garden (LPO)
with Flagstad, Muller, Bockelmann) (CD6)
--- 1954 VPO complete opera
with Modl, Suthaus, Frantz, Rysanek, Klose, Frick (CD50-53)

WAGNER: Die Gotterdammerung:
--- Excerpts (110 minutes) from the Prologue and all three Acts:
1937 “live” Royal Opera House, Covent Garden (LPO) with Flagstad, Melchior, Janssen, Nezadal, Weber) (CD7-8)
--- Act 3: Brunnhilde’s Immolation
with Kirsten Flagstad: 1948 Philharmonia (CD18), 1952 Philharmonia (CD31)

WAGNER: Tristan und Isolde:1952 Philharmonia
with Flagstad, Suthaus, Thebom, Greindl, Fischer-Dieskau (CD44-47)

Gonzalo Candia

Oct 5, 2021, 3:28:08 PM10/5/21
What a great work, John! Many thanks, really. Just amazing! More comments on the quality of the remastering?

vhorowitz

Oct 6, 2021, 11:28:18 AM10/6/21
Thank you for that index, John!

Everything I've heard so far is superbly remastered! Starting with the Polydor 78s, which AFAIK have no extant master materials available, sound darned good....a very good balance between debris removal and retaining tonal integrity. Also I've found the late 40s, 50s EMI material to be substantially better than previous CDs, none of which retained the full amplitude and impact of the originals as these do.

I haven't dug into the DG material yet except for the Schumann 4th. It always bugged me that there were such HUGE pauses between the 1st three movements on DG's CD issues. The score indicates there should only be a "fermata" over a rest, not a full stop. DG's issues have more than 5 seconds pause, and didn't maintain the hiss that would indicate some continuity. I was curious what the “new” tape was going to be like for this new set. They have closed the gaps by a considerable amount (now only several seconds, which works for me)...They’re not EXACTLY connected as in many recordings, but close enough to not be distracting. Also, I now notice DG has slightly chopped off the opening attack of the 2nd movement! Thankfully it’s NOT so in the Warner. So definitely an improvement there.

drh8h

Oct 6, 2021, 10:12:45 PM10/6/21

> Everything I've heard so far is superbly remastered! Starting with the Polydor 78s, which AFAIK have no extant master materials available, sound darned good....a very good balance between debris removal and retaining tonal integrity. Also I've found the late 40s, 50s EMI material to be substantially better than previous CDs, none of which retained the full amplitude and impact of the originals as these do.
>
> I haven't dug into the DG material yet except for the Schumann 4th. It always bugged me that there were such HUGE pauses between the 1st three movements on DG's CD issues. The score indicates there should only be a "fermata" over a rest, not a full stop. DG's issues have more than 5 seconds pause, and didn't maintain the hiss that would indicate some continuity. I was curious what the “new” tape was going to be like for this new set. They have closed the gaps by a considerable amount (now only several seconds, which works for me)...They’re not EXACTLY connected as in many recordings, but close enough to not be distracting. Also, I now notice DG has slightly chopped off the opening attack of the 2nd movement! Thankfully it’s NOT so in the Warner. So definitely an improvement there.

Interestingly, the booklet writer states the Schumann 4 is not the same performance on most lp and cd reissues. I wish he had elaborated. Is it then identical to the very first issues? Or could it be the original edit? I have always doubted the story that this was done in one take.

DH

mswd...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2021, 12:26:27 AM10/7/21
On Wednesday, October 6, 2021 at 9:12:45 PM UTC-5, drh8h wrote:
> Interestingly, the booklet writer states the Schumann 4 is not the same performance on most lp and cd reissues. I wish he had elaborated. Is it then identical to the very first issues? Or could it be the original edit? I have always doubted the story that this was done in one take.
> DH

The booklet writer is writer is just wrong, wrong, wrong. And if it were true, it would be a huge selling point for the box. Someone knows better than to repeat this nonsense. If your ears fail you, open the tracks in an audio editing program and compare to whichever DG one you have on hand.

John Fowler

Oct 7, 2021, 7:38:13 AM10/7/21
Quote from the booklet:
"The tape of Schumann's Symphony No.4 supplied by Universal (Deutsche Grammophon , 1953) is different from - and probably earlier than - that used for decades for LP/CD reissues."
I think he's saying that this is an earlier generation tape, implying that the earlier transfers were from a second generation tape.

drh8h

Oct 7, 2021, 8:35:55 AM10/7/21
Probably a bad translation. That did not justify the rudeness of another poster. What is in the booklet certainly is a legitimate item for discussion. The whole story about how this great recording was made seems to reek of myth. Another version has the recording equipment repeatedly failing and WF angrily declaring he is going to do the whole thing from start to finish and they better get it right this time.

For those who obsess about such things, the booklet claims there are two versions of the first side of the second movement of the 1947/49 Eroica, and helpfully provides the extra side, as did Tahra many years ago. Ward Marston, if I remember right, said in his issue on Naxos that every copy he reviewed had the same side. And no, I have not done any technical analysis on the "different" side. Actually, it does sound like a different performance to me. If anyone wants to weigh in, nicely, I will be glad to hear it.

Strangely, the engineer says nothing about the contentious Bayreuth 1951 Beethoven 9th. Unless it was claimed upon first issue to be an absolutely unedited-as-it-happened document, I would be surprised if it had not been patched up with earlier rehearsals. For all we know, Furtwängler might even have recommended some of the changes before deciding to withhold release. At the same time, quite a number, maybe all of the live performances by Toscanini issued on RCA in the lp era had unacknowledged edits. According to the late Harris Goldsmith, the "Italian" symphony was not even the broadcast but the earlier dress rehearsal.

DH

John Fowler

Oct 7, 2021, 8:51:51 AM10/7/21
I'm guessing that the Beethoven 9th now includes audience noise between movements
(55 seconds between movements one and two; 34 seconds between movements two and three)
to "prove" that this was recorded at the performance, not the rehearsal.
It is loading more messages.