Kevin Kenner Chopin Piano Concertos

Ricardo Jimenez

Jul 31, 2021, 7:42:23 PM7/31/21
Wow! I finally got to this item on my Spotify list and was bowled
over. It has a reduced accompaniment of string quartet and double
bass but they are so closely miked and well recorded that it sounds
very sonorous. Supposedly Chopin would often perform these works this
way. I had never heard of Kenner before but I have never enjoyed
these concertos more. It says he is playing on a forte piano but it
certainly soundss more expressive than the ones I've heard previously.
To bad DK isn't around to explain how deaf I am. :-)

MiNe109

Aug 1, 2021, 11:54:46 AM8/1/21
Interesting. In an interview, Kenner mentions Hummel who also set
concertos as chamber pieces.

Yes, full-sounding strings and expressive piano.

AB

Aug 1, 2021, 4:46:36 PM8/1/21
listening on youtube, not sure if this is what on Spotify, but this is a 'regular' concert grand, and a nice one.
AB

Ricardo Jimenez

Aug 1, 2021, 5:10:22 PM8/1/21
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 13:46:33 -0700 (PDT), AB <abach...@verizon.net>
wrote:
The back of the album cover has: Transkrypcje na fortepian i kwintet
smyczkowy / Transcriptions for Piano and String Quintet. So maybe
fortepian is piano in Polish. One of the youtube videos shows him
playing a modern Steinway. The sound seems better on the Spotify CD
but I am not 100% sure it is the same piano.

Ricardo Jimenez

Aug 1, 2021, 5:16:38 PM8/1/21
Sorry, I should have looked at the next line on the back cover:
Kevin Kenner fortepian piano {Steinway, D578221}

MiNe109

Aug 2, 2021, 9:18:19 AM8/2/21
Mystery solved! Those who want to hear Kenner play a Chopin concertante
work on an Erard are referred to a Glossa dvd with Bruggen and the
Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century.

https://www.amazon.com/Works-Piano-Orchestra-Kevin-Kenner/dp/B006DQLSOC