" While the thrill of falling in love with a record hasn’t dimmed, it’s dispiriting to know that you have a shrinking group of friends to share it with, as more people seemingly outgrow the one thing you never thought was possible to outgrow."

gggg gggg

Sep 28, 2022, 4:58:40 PM9/28/22

gggg gggg

Sep 28, 2022, 5:29:13 PM9/28/22
On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 1:58:40 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> Are you finding that conclusion to the following article to be true?:
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/aug/16/bring-that-beat-back-why-are-people-in-their-30s-giving-up-on-music

Does that also apply to listeners of classical music?

Andrew Clarke

Sep 28, 2022, 8:24:23 PM9/28/22
Well, very few people here want to talk about music, do they?
Meanwhile, we need to take into account what "The Guardian" is. It's the UK equivalent, I suppose, of the NYT or the Huffington Post, a safe refuge for ageing hipsters who probably think that C.P.E. Bach was a white supremecist. To be fair, though, The Guardian does review classical music and concerts as well, which is getting rarer these days.

Maybe people don't talk about new 'albums' these days because there's less and less to talk about when compared to the Golden Age of the Top Forty in the 1960s and 1970s. There's only so much you can say about Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Adele, except perhaps "Shut up" or "Go away". The exceptions are fifteen year old girls who need to know who's 'in' and who's 'out' as their position in the high school pecking order depends on knowing such things.

Meanwhile, I often surprise people that generaly speaking, my own collection does not contain 'albums'. That is because it is almost entirely digital, and the Haydn goes into a folder called Haydn and the Boccherini goes into a folder called 'Boccherini' and what the original CD was called - e.g. "18th Century Cello Concertos" - is irrelevant. The only exceptions are recordings of music by different composers which the producer of the CD intended to be played together to bring out a certain theme: examples would be Sabine Devieilhe's "The Weber Sisters" and "Mirages", and these go into a folder called 'Recitals, collections, etc.'. I was undecided about whether to treat John Wilson's 'Escales' with the Sinfonia of London the same way, but I see I've split it up. I could of course do it both ways: digital techonology allows me to do such things with the greatest of ease.

How many people here are interested in Sabine Devieilhe and the Sinfonia of London - adjudged a 'pick up band' by Big Dave - is an interesting question. Or why the Pittsburg orchestra, recorded by what I guess is an independent label in California, is worthy of inclusion in The Gramophone's list of Orchestras of the Year, while the NY Phil is not.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

raymond....@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2022, 9:07:49 PM9/28/22
On Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 10:24:23 UTC+10, andrewc...gmail.com wrote:

> Well, very few people here want to talk about music, do they?
> Meanwhile, we need to take into account what "The Guardian" is. It's the UK equivalent, I suppose, of the NYT or the Huffington Post, a safe refuge for ageing hipsters who probably think that C.P.E. Bach was a white supremecist. To be fair, though, The Guardian does review classical music and concerts as well, which is getting rarer these days.

All are safe refuges from the insanity of Murdoch inspired crap, or Fox whatever guise they go under trash of unreality.

> Maybe people don't talk about new 'albums' these days because there's less and less to talk about when compared to the Golden Age of the Top Forty in the 1960s and 1970s. There's only so much you can say about Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Adele, except perhaps "Shut up" or "Go away". The exceptions are fifteen year old girls who need to know who's 'in' and who's 'out' as their position in the high school pecking order depends on knowing such things.

Of course it does. Some of their idols might even look good too. Cannot speak for their music though.

> Meanwhile, I often surprise people that generaly speaking, my own collection does not contain 'albums'. That is because it is almost entirely digital, and the Haydn goes into a folder called Haydn and the Boccherini goes into a folder called 'Boccherini' and what the original CD was called - e.g. "18th Century Cello Concertos" - is irrelevant. The only exceptions are recordings of music by different composers which the producer of the CD intended to be played together to bring out a certain theme: examples would be Sabine Devieilhe's "The Weber Sisters" and "Mirages", and these go into a folder called 'Recitals, collections, etc.'. I was undecided about whether to treat John Wilson's 'Escales' with the Sinfonia of London the same way, but I see I've split it up. I could of course do it both ways: digital techonology allows me to do such things with the greatest of ease.

Sabine Devieilhe ??. Never heard of her. Also if you have never searched for, in the 3D reality of brix and stuff, and held up in your sticky little mitt a prized sleek new Supraphon LP, you have never lived.

> How many people here are interested in Sabine Devieilhe and the Sinfonia of London - adjudged a 'pick up band' by Big Dave - is an interesting question. Or why the Pittsburg orchestra, recorded by what I guess is an independent label in California, is worthy of inclusion in The Gramophone's list of Orchestras of the Year, while the NY Phil is not.

Maybe it is because Pittsburgh (spelled correctly with an h) has a conductor who seems to be trotting out some good recordings, whilst the NY Phil is still waiting for a decent conductor to come along. However the Pirates baseball team is not so hot, whilst the Bronx is still waiting for Judge's 61st HR.

Ray Hall, Taree

raymond....@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2022, 9:19:01 PM9/28/22
On Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 11:07:49 UTC+10, raymond....gmail.com wrote:

.....whilst the Bronx is still waiting for Judge's 61st HR.

Achieved, albeit in Toronto.

Ray Hall, Taree

Frank Berger

Sep 28, 2022, 9:22:35 PM9/28/22
On 9/28/2022 8:24 PM, Andrew Clarke wrote:
> On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 7:29:13 AM UTC+10, gggg gggg wrote:
>> On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 1:58:40 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
>>> Are you finding that conclusion to the following article to be true?:
>>>
>>> https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/aug/16/bring-that-beat-back-why-are-people-in-their-30s-giving-up-on-music
>> Does that also apply to listeners of classical music?
>
> Well, very few people here want to talk about music, do they?
> Meanwhile, we need to take into account what "The Guardian" is. It's the UK equivalent, I suppose, of the NYT or the Huffington Post, a safe refuge for ageing hipsters who probably think that C.P.E. Bach was a white supremecist. To be fair, though, The Guardian does review classical music and concerts as well, which is getting rarer these days.
>
> Maybe people don't talk about new 'albums' these days because there's less and less to talk about when compared to the Golden Age of the Top Forty in the 1960s and 1970s. There's only so much you can say about Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Adele, except perhaps "Shut up" or "Go away". The exceptions are fifteen year old girls who need to know who's 'in' and who's 'out' as their position in the high school pecking order depends on knowing such things.
>
> Meanwhile, I often surprise people that generaly speaking, my own collection does not contain 'albums'. That is because it is almost entirely digital, and the Haydn goes into a folder called Haydn and the Boccherini goes into a folder called 'Boccherini' and what the original CD was called - e.g. "18th Century Cello Concertos" - is irrelevant. The only exceptions are recordings of music by different composers which the producer of the CD intended to be played together to bring out a certain theme: examples would be Sabine Devieilhe's "The Weber Sisters" and "Mirages", and these go into a folder called 'Recitals, collections, etc.'. I was undecided about whether to treat John Wilson's 'Escales' with the Sinfonia of London the same way, but I see I've split it up. I could of course do it both ways: digital techonology allows me to do such things with the greatest of ease.
>
> How many people here are interested in Sabine Devieilhe and the Sinfonia of London

AFAIK they have not recorded together

> - adjudged a 'pick up band' by Big Dave - is an interesting question. Or why the Pittsburg orchestra, recorded by what I guess is an independent label in California, is worthy of inclusion in >The Gramophone's list of Orchestras of the Year, while the NY Phil is not.

You are as capable, probably more, as me to coming up with possibilities.

1. Reference Recordings has the reputation of being an audiophile label. DG does not.
2. Maybe the Pittsburgers actually play better than the New Yorkers.
3. Maybe Gramophone likes to diss the American establshment.
4. Maybe the Pittsburgers had several really fine recordings in that year and the NYPO, didn't. That wouldn't be so remarkable, would it? The category "orchestra of the year" suggest they focused on, here it comes, one year. In a given year anything can happen.

> Andrew Clarke
> Canberra

Frank Berger

Sep 28, 2022, 9:31:58 PM9/28/22
If he doesn't do it by game 154, it's meaningless. If he beats Maris after that then he beats Maris, that's all. The Babe rules. Babe Ruth hit 54 home runs in 1920. The major league record before that was 29. Also by Ruth. And I think the only "drugs" he used were alcohol and hot dogs.

> Ray Hall, Taree

Frank Berger

Sep 28, 2022, 9:38:18 PM9/28/22
I see he hit 61 in game 155. Maris hit 61 in game 162. My that metric Judge beats Maris. But someone could look up how many games each played or how many at bats they had. I think Ruth was intentionally walked a lot more. Maris hit ahead of Mantle in 1961 and they had to pitch to him. Just admitting it's not so simple. What if Ruth trained like Judge? What if Mantle had two good knees? No answers. Congrats to Judge in any case. A fabulous season. I love watching Ohtani, but if Judge isn't MVP the fix is in.

raymond....@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2022, 10:55:01 PM9/28/22
On Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 11:38:18 UTC+10, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 9/28/2022 9:31 PM, Frank Berger wrote:
> I see he hit 61 in game 155. Maris hit 61 in game 162. My that metric Judge beats Maris. But someone could look up how many games each played or how many at bats they had. I think Ruth was intentionally walked a lot more. Maris hit ahead of Mantle in 1961 and they hadAgren't MVP the fix is in.

Agree fully, and imponderables will always remain a question. Were pitchers better in the 50/60s, was the ball a heavier or a lighter ball, and of a different composition, the parks they both played on, noting that the Yankees right porch is much closer than others, (remember that Maris played in the old Yankee stadium), and also noting that the Red Sox in the previous series walked Judge a lot. Also in Judges favour is the fact that Carpenter, Stanton. DH, Rizzo were also injured for a fair while, leaving opposing sides the option of walking Judge with a better chance of winning the game.

Either way, it is and will remain a great baseball milestone, and the question remains with 7 games left of the regular season, is how many more might Judge add to his total?

Ray Hall, Taree

Dan Koren

Sep 28, 2022, 11:29:26 PM9/28/22
On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 5:24:23 PM UTC-7, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

> Well, very few people here want to talk about music, do they?

This is indeed a very astute observation. Most people in this ng
appear to be more interested in talking about Kempff and Arrau
than in talking about music.

> Meanwhile, we need to take into account what "The Guardian" is.
> It's the UK equivalent, I suppose, of the NYT or the Huffington Post,
> a safe refuge for ageing hipsters who probably think that C.P.E.
> Bach was a white supremecist.

C.P.E. Bach was a firewood worshipper.

> Maybe people don't talk about new 'albums' these days because
> there's less and less to talk about when compared to the Golden
> Age of the Top Forty in the 1960s and 1970s. There's only so much

The need to talk about music has diminished almost as much as
the desire to dance about architecture. During the 1960s and the
1970s access to recordings was limited and more expensive. This
motivated people to talk about concerts and recordings. Nowadays
anyone can listen to practically anything on YT and various other
music streaming services. One no longer needs others' opinions
about what to buy or listen, and what to avoid.

> you can say about Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Adele, except perhaps
> "Shut up" or "Go away". The exceptions are fifteen year old girls who
> need to know who's 'in' and who's 'out' as their position in the high
> school pecking order depends on knowing such things.

How would one know about the opinions of fifteen year old girls?
Are you dating one?

> Meanwhile, I often surprise people that generaly speaking, my own
> collection does not contain 'albums'. That is because it is almost
> entirely digital, and the Haydn goes into a folder called Haydn and
> the Boccherini goes into a folder called 'Boccherini' and what the
> original CD was called - e.g. "18th Century Cello Concertos" - is
> irrelevant. The only exceptions are recordings of music by different
> composers which the producer of the CD intended to be played
> together to bring out a certain theme: examples would be Sabine
> Devieilhe's "The Weber Sisters" and "Mirages", and these go into
> a folder called 'Recitals, collections, etc.'. I was undecided about
> whether to treat John Wilson's 'Escales' with the Sinfonia of London
> the same way, but I see I've split it up. I could of course do it both
> ways: digital techonology allows me to do such things with the
> greatest of ease.

Aren' you depriving yourself of the tactile pleasure of cleaning LPs
and rewinding magnetic tapes? What other forms of exercise do
you engage in?

> How many people here are interested in Sabine Devieilhe and the
> Sinfonia of London - adjudged a 'pick up band' by Big Dave - is an

I am now. I will listen pronto.

> interesting question. Or why the Pittsburg orchestra, recorded by
> what I guess is an independent label in California, is worthy of
> inclusion in The Gramophone's list of Orchestras of the Year,
> while the NY Phil is not.

Because of the Honeck connection -- he is the new Golden Baton.

By the way, it is Pittsburgh (PA), not Pittsburgh (QLD).

dk

Dan Koren

Sep 28, 2022, 11:34:55 PM9/28/22
On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 8:29:26 PM UTC-7, Dan Koren wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 5:24:23 PM UTC-7, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > How many people here are interested in
> > Sabine Devieilhe and the Sinfonia of London
>
> I am now. I will listen pronto.

I am terrified! ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41mE3kapPgc

Otherwise, German always sounds nicer when sung
by French singers! ;-)

dk

Dan Koren

Sep 28, 2022, 11:39:53 PM9/28/22
IMHO this repertoire suits her better than Mozart. She
has a very nice voice with depth and bloom. However
she lacks the dry precision of an echt Mozart coloratura
like Erna Berger or Ingeborg Hallstein.

dk

Dan Koren

Sep 28, 2022, 11:42:41 PM9/28/22
This is very very good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMAR_HtHt2s

dk

Herman

Sep 29, 2022, 3:40:05 AM9/29/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 2:24:23 AM UTC+2, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 7:29:13 AM UTC+10, gggg gggg wrote:
> > On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 1:58:40 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> > > Are you finding that conclusion to the following article to be true?:
> > >
> > > https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/aug/16/bring-that-beat-back-why-are-people-in-their-30s-giving-up-on-music
> > Does that also apply to listeners of classical music?
> Well, very few people here want to talk about music, do they?
> Meanwhile, we need to take into account what "The Guardian" is. It's the UK equivalent, I suppose, of the NYT or the Huffington Post, a safe refuge for ageing hipsters who probably think that C.P.E. Bach was a white supremacist. To be fair, though, The Guardian does review classical music and concerts as well, which is getting rarer these days.

The funny thing is, just yesterday I read a piece in that very same Ageing Hipster Times saying the exact opposite. Hip twentysomethings are checking out of Spotify because they don't want to turn into Dan-types and listen to one-song one-track minds glugging on music like chocoloate.
They want to listen to the artist's entire creative effort in album form and have real experiences.
They go to live shows (imagine that!) and buy cd's straight from the hipster horse's mouth and I guess there's a place called Bandcamp they frequent a lot.
There's so much content on the Ageing Hipster Times I can't find the article anymore, 24 hours later.

Personally I'm neither really ageing nor hipster, but I have to say the whole thing has passed me by, because I don't care about being hip and showing off. I have favorite cd's and I have thousands of non-favorite cd's I and my GF would like to get rid of (but how / where?). As time ages I find there's just a core repertoire I'm really into and there is stuff I briefly visited and should have handed on straight away. Also, of course, we enjoy live music.

Herman

Sep 29, 2022, 3:44:46 AM9/29/22
I mean the whol spotify and / or ripping thing, i.e. dumping the material artifact and delivering one's musical collection straight into the hands of big tech.

Frank Berger

Sep 29, 2022, 9:08:25 AM9/29/22
On 9/29/2022 3:40 AM, Herman wrote:
> On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 2:24:23 AM UTC+2, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> Does that also apply to listeners of classical music?
>> Well, very few people here want to talk about music, do they?
>> Meanwhile, we need to take into account what "The Guardian" is. It's the UK equivalent, I suppose, of the NYT or the Huffington Post, a safe refuge for ageing hipsters who probably think that C.P.E. Bach was a white supremacist. To be fair, though, The Guardian does review classical music and concerts as well, which is getting rarer these days.
>>
> The funny thing is, just yesterday I read a piece in that very same Ageing Hipster Times saying the exact opposite. Hip twentysomethings are checking out of Spotify because they don't want to turn into Dan-types and listen to one-song one-track minds glugging on music like chocoloate.

They found a few people like that exaggerated into an article.

> They want to listen to the artist's entire creative effort in album form and have real experiences.
> They go to live shows (imagine that!) and buy cd's straight from the hipster horse's mouth and I guess there's a place called Bandcamp they frequent a lot.
> There's so much content on the Ageing Hipster Times I can't find the article anymore, 24 hours later.

Yes, and thousands, no millions, of people are returning to vinyl. I read it in an article, so it must be true. No wonder CD sales are down. Nothing to do with streaming. It's the wholesale shift to vinyl.

> Personally I'm neither really ageing

That sounds unlikely.

>nor hipster, but I have to say the whole thing has passed me by, because I don't care about being hip and showing off. I have favorite cd's and I have thousands of non-favorite cd's I and my GF >would like to get rid of (but how / where?). As time ages

Time doesn't age. You do.

gggg gggg

Sep 29, 2022, 10:35:14 AM9/29/22
As one gets older, doesn't the thrill of discovery begin to yield to the pleasure of rediscovery?

JohnGavin

Sep 29, 2022, 10:40:49 AM9/29/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 3:40:05 AM UTC-4, Herman wrote:

As time ages I find there's just a core repertoire I'm really into and there is stuff I briefly visited and should have handed on straight away. Also, of course, we enjoy live music.

I’ve been feeling exactly the same way recently.

Perhaps instead of saying “Time ages“ I would say “Time flies“. I’m finding that as one ages the powerful illusion of time moving faster and faster takes place. Time becomes a more precious commodity than anything material.

Just my observation – the wisest people in history have all realized that one of the greatest blessings is to realize that simplifying life and eliminating nonessentials are one of the most important things towards discovering the true purpose of life.

By the way as an aside it was a revelation to discover that CDs are not easily recyclable.

gggg gggg

Sep 29, 2022, 10:46:07 AM9/29/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 7:40:49 AM UTC-7, JohnGavin wrote:
> On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 3:40:05 AM UTC-4, Herman wrote:
> >
> As time ages I find there's just a core repertoire I'm really into and there is stuff I briefly visited and should have handed on straight away. Also, of course, we enjoy live music.
> I’ve been feeling exactly the same way recently.
>
> Perhaps instead of saying “Time ages“ I would say “Time flies“. I’m finding that as one ages the powerful illusion of time moving faster and faster takes place. Time becomes a more precious commodity than anything material.
>
> Just my observation – the wisest people in history have all realized that one of the greatest blessings is to realize that simplifying life and eliminating nonessentials are one of the most important things towards discovering the true purpose of life...

I still think I'd rather be rich.

Herman

Sep 29, 2022, 11:23:52 AM9/29/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 4:46:07 PM UTC+2, gggg gggg wrote:

> I still think I'd rather be rich.

Well, that's going to happen anytime, with your posting links on msuic and wine groups.
Just wait and see.

Frank Berger

Sep 29, 2022, 5:36:22 PM9/29/22
I forgot to mention that aside from winning the triple crown (if he does), his greatest accomplishment is tying Ruth for 60 home runs in 154 games.

raymond....@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2022, 9:09:57 PM9/29/22
On Friday, 30 September 2022 at 07:36:22 UTC+10, Frank Berger wrote:
> On 9/28/2022 9:38 PM, Frank Berger wrote:

> >> If he doesn't do it by game 154, it's meaningless. If he beats Maris after that then he beats Maris, that's all. The Babe rules. Babe Ruth hit 54 home runs in 1920. The major league record before that was 29. Also by Ruth. And I think the only "drugs" he used were alcohol and hot dogs.

> > I see he hit 61 in game 155. Maris hit 61 in game 162. My that metric Judge beats Maris. But someone could look up how many games each played or how many at bats they had. I think Ruth was intentionally walked a lot more. Maris hit ahead of Mantle in 1961 and they had to pitch to him. Just admitting it's not so simple. What if Ruth trained like Judge? What if Mantle had two good knees? No answers. Congrats to Judge in any case. A fabulous season. I love watching Ohtani, but if Judge isn't MVP the fix is in.
> >
> I forgot to mention that aside from winning the triple crown (if he does), his greatest accomplishment is tying Ruth for 60 home runs in 154 games.

True. Also Ruth was a giant of a legend, and was an ace pitcher to boot which people often forget. I think Ruth stood out more in his time, which is not to demean Judge.

Ray Hall, Taree

Frank Berger

Sep 29, 2022, 11:35:09 PM9/29/22
The House that Judge built does not have a ring to it.

Speaking of Ruth, Ohtani has a no-hitter going through 6 innings. Crap. Now I've jinxed him.

Frank Berger

Sep 30, 2022, 12:20:18 AM9/30/22
Ohtani gave up two singles in the 8th. Still a shutout, but I doubt he'll pitch the 9th inning. What an amazing athlete.

Andrew Clarke

Sep 30, 2022, 10:27:11 AM9/30/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 7:29:13 AM UTC+10, gggg gggg wrote:
Well, gggg (or may I call you gggg?) we seem to have stirred a bit of a hornet's nest here, and i must say prospects for the recording industry are not bright, if this lot are representative of the record-buying public. I should mention that I do remember finding Nonesuch LPs in bins, but that was 50 years ago, and that while I do like exploring old repertoire as much as the next man, I prefer to hear it performed by the current generation of conductors, with or without historic instruments. People do seem to be unconcerned that nobody is recording the American orchestras that used to get recorded but no longer do, which for those bands without enormous endowments could well mean a lingering death.
I am flabbergasted to read that the Sage of Taree has not heard of Mme Devieilhe, a marvellous coloratura regarded in France as the successor to the great Natalie Dessaye. I am not at all surprised to find the topic drifting to baseball at a considerable rate of knots ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Message has been deleted

gggg gggg

Sep 30, 2022, 3:45:08 PM9/30/22
On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 1:58:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
> Are you finding that conclusion to the following article to be true?:
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/aug/16/bring-that-beat-back-why-are-people-in-their-30s-giving-up-on-music

Favorite recordings is far from the minds of young persons in THESE times probably because they have a whole lot of other worries to think about:

https://groups.google.com/u/1/g/rec.music.classical/c/t6DjuXI5dgM

Paul Alsing

Sep 30, 2022, 4:43:41 PM9/30/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 7:40:49 AM UTC-7, JohnGavin wrote:

> Perhaps instead of saying “Time ages“ I would say “Time flies“. I’m finding that as one ages the powerful illusion of time moving faster and faster takes place. Time becomes a more precious commodity than anything material.

Kinda like that roll of toilet paper.. it gets down to half of its original diameter and most folks assume that it is half gone... but at 76 years young I'm here to say that that last "half" sure disappears fast! My 60th birthday party seems like it was just yesterday!

Frank Berger

Sep 30, 2022, 4:55:06 PM9/30/22
As we age, each additional minute is a larger percentage of the time we have remaining. Perhaps people who think will live forever (or at least a long time) don't experience this feeling. Certainly this applies to young people. I'm almost 75, have diabetes (in good control), coronary artery disease (one stent), and a malignant (non small cell, not very aggressive) growth in my right lung (lobectomy happening Oct 27.) And I've already lived longer than almost all the men in my family. I feel great though. Cemetery plot has been purchased.

HT

Sep 30, 2022, 5:37:00 PM9/30/22
Op vrijdag 30 september 2022 om 22:43:41 UTC+2 schreef pnal...@gmail.com:
> On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 7:40:49 AM UTC-7, JohnGavin wrote:
> > Perhaps instead of saying “Time ages“ I would say “Time flies“. I’m finding that as one ages the powerful illusion of time moving faster and faster takes place. Time becomes a more precious commodity than anything material.
> Kinda like that roll of toilet paper.. it gets down to half of its original diameter and most folks assume that it is half gone... but at 76 years young I'm here to say that that last "half" sure disappears fast! My 60th birthday party seems like it was just yesterday!

<g> I prefer John's "time ages" to the view that life is "like a roll of toilet paper." John assumes that we age, i.e., that we pass the time we have. If that time flies by then it is because of the way we pass our time.

Henk

raymond....@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2022, 6:15:41 PM9/30/22
Ages ia as about as close to sage as I will ever get. I am sure Mme Devieilhe is a wonderful singer (as evidenced by the clips above), but my self prescribed music world is fairly set. My CD collection is also well stocked in enough Mahler 4ths, and besides which I am driven by repertoire, much much more than worrying about which artist is playing. Repertoire comes first for me, artist consideration comes next. Always.

Ray Hall, Taree

Paul Alsing

Sep 30, 2022, 7:23:29 PM9/30/22
On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 6:38:18 PM UTC-7, Frank Berger wrote:

> I see he hit 61 in game 155. Maris hit 61 in game 162. My that metric Judge beats Maris. But someone could look up how many games each played or how many at bats they had. I think Ruth was intentionally walked a lot more. Maris hit ahead of Mantle in 1961 and they had to pitch to him. Just admitting it's not so simple. What if Ruth trained like Judge? What if Mantle had two good knees? No answers. Congrats to Judge in any case. A fabulous season. I love watching Ohtani, but if Judge isn't MVP the fix is in.

Also, keep in mind that in 1968 they lowered the mound in order to increase the average number of runs scored, so theoretically it should have made home runs easier to hit...

Andrew Clarke

Sep 30, 2022, 7:50:47 PM9/30/22
Try her "Mirages" with "Les Siecles".

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Andrew Clarke

Sep 30, 2022, 8:16:45 PM9/30/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 7:29:13 AM UTC+10, gggg gggg wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 28, 2022 at 1:58:40 PM UTC-7, gggg gggg wrote:
> > Are you finding that conclusion to the following article to be true?:
> >
> > https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/aug/16/bring-that-beat-back-why-are-people-in-their-30s-giving-up-on-music
> Does that also apply to listeners of classical music?

I am sorry to interrupt once more this discussion of the height of baseball mounds, but Linn Records have alerted me to yet more recordings from the Pays des Grenouilles that sound well worth listening to. It is a series called 'Simply Mozart' and it comes from Le Concert de la Loge under Julien Chauvin, with various soloists. Each of the two discs issued so far contains an overture, a concerto and a symphony.

So far as I can see, France and the UK are making all the running these days, with gallant little Belgium not too far behind. I wonder if the Berlin Phil will ever issue new CDs? With its Digital Concert Hall, it really doesn't need to. Does anybody else here subscribe to that excellent service, at least when the World Series isn't on?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Herman

Oct 1, 2022, 1:47:14 AM10/1/22
On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 2:16:45 AM UTC+2, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
> \
>
> So far as I can see, France and the UK are making all the running these days, with gallant little Belgium not too far behind. I wonder if the Berlin Phil will ever issue new CDs? With its Digital Concert Hall, it really doesn't need to. Does anybody else here subscribe to that excellent service, at least when the World Series isn't on?

I don't do the Berlin Phil Concert Hall, nor do I any of these other services, which (in my view) makes for a fast food-like music consumption. Couple of minutes of this, couple of minutes of that...

Andrew Clarke

Oct 1, 2022, 9:36:34 AM10/1/22
The Digital Concert Hall is an archive of entire concerts given by the Berlin Phil, generally at the Philharmoniker or occasionally at the Waldbuehnen. The only way you'll get a couple of minutes of this or a couple of minutes of that is to keep switching it on and off again, which is rather a waste of a subscription. Both audio and video production are first rate.

To see the BPO in action I just activate the app on Google Chromecast or on my Sony BluRay Player. The only way I can see the NY Phil in action is to go to New York.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Andrew Clarke

Oct 1, 2022, 9:45:15 AM10/1/22
On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 8:15:41 AM UTC+10, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
t as close to sage as I will ever get. I am sure Mme Devieilhe is a wonderful singer (as evidenced by the clips above), but my self prescribed music world is fairly set. My CD collection is also well stocked in enough Mahler 4ths, and besides which I am driven by repertoire, much much more than worrying about which artist is playing. Repertoire comes first for me, artist consideration comes next. Always.

> Ray Hall, Taree

The Sabine of my dreams originally specialised in baroque music, and is in fact married to Raphael Pichon, the director of 'Pygmalion', an excellent period instrument band. The 19th century repertoire came later.

And you'd have to admit that the effect of the most standard of standard repertoires depends on how it's performed. Listen, for example, how Francois-Xavier Roth performs the first Schumann symphony, from the supposedly unplayable original score. With modern instruments, in Hamburg.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
and I'm older than Frank Berger

MELMOTH

Oct 1, 2022, 11:27:19 AM10/1/22
Andrew Clarke a émis l'idée suivante :
> Andrew Clarke
> Canberra
> and I'm older than Frank Berger

And WHO is the olsest on thi forum ?...I ask the questuon...
I am 78...

HT

Oct 1, 2022, 11:32:28 AM10/1/22
Op zaterdag 1 oktober 2022 om 17:27:19 UTC+2 schreef MELMOTH:
I am 82 ...

Henk

Ed Presson

Oct 1, 2022, 4:38:00 PM10/1/22

"MELMOTH" wrote in message news:63385c53$0$3011$426a...@news.free.fr...
84
Ed Presson

Andrew Clarke

Oct 2, 2022, 2:32:24 AM10/2/22
On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 11:22:35 AM UTC+10, Frank Berger wrote:

> 3. Maybe Gramophone likes to diss the American establshment.

I've never heard of The Gramophone dissing anybody's musical establishment. *Is* there an American musical establishment, given that musical life stateside is not centralised in one particular city (e.g. London) but is distributed in major cities nation wide?

Incidentally, if you look at The Gramophone's Records of the Month, you will find appreciative reviews of recordings made all over Europe, where it's all happening.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Andrew Clarke

Oct 2, 2022, 2:34:05 AM10/2/22
I'm 76. Incidentally, The Big D is a comparative youngster at 61: he just *sounds* 90.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Herman

Oct 2, 2022, 3:05:58 AM10/2/22
You seem to harbor the misconception that people here look first before opining.

I'd say parts of USA musical life concentrates in unexpected places, too, usually near universities. So, for instance, in Ann Arbor, Michigan, there is a counterintuitive number of composers, violin makers and a very nice chamber music venue.
In New England there are nooks and crannies where everybody and his dog are playing on superb harpsichords, the cold notwithstanding.

Dan Koren

Oct 2, 2022, 6:30:17 AM10/2/22
On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 8:27:19 AM UTC-7, MELMOTH wrote:
> Andrew Clarke a émis l'idée suivante :
> >
> > and I'm older than Frank Berger
>
> And WHO is the oldest in this
> forum ?...I ask the questuon...

I am going on 17!

> I am 78...

Serves you right!

dk

Frank Berger

Oct 2, 2022, 8:28:56 AM10/2/22
On 10/2/2022 3:05 AM, Herman wrote:
> On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 8:32:24 AM UTC+2, andrewc...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, September 29, 2022 at 11:22:35 AM UTC+10, Frank Berger wrote:
>>
>>> 3. Maybe Gramophone likes to diss the American establshment.
>>
>> I've never heard of The Gramophone dissing anybody's musical establishment. *Is* there an American musical establishment, given that musical life stateside is not centralised in one particular city (e.g. London) but is distributed in major cities nation wide?
>>
>> Incidentally, if you look at The Gramophone's Records of the Month, you will find appreciative reviews of recordings made all over Europe, where it's all happening.
>>
> You seem to harbor the misconception that people here look first before opining.

As usual, you can't read. I didn't opine. I said "maybe." It doesn't convey an opinion at all.

Graham

Oct 2, 2022, 8:44:05 AM10/2/22
I'm 78. It's really weird being the same age as old people!

HT

Oct 2, 2022, 10:53:20 AM10/2/22

> I'm 78. It's really weird being the same age as old people!

Indeed, it takes time to get used to it.

Henk

Mr. Mike

Oct 2, 2022, 12:14:32 PM10/2/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 00:40:02 -0700 (PDT), Herman <her...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> > Does that also apply to listeners of classical music?
>> Well, very few people here want to talk about music, do they?
>> Meanwhile, we need to take into account what "The Guardian" is. It's the UK equivalent, I suppose, of the NYT or the Huffington Post, a safe refuge for ageing hipsters who probably think that C.P.E. Bach was a white supremacist. To be fair, though, The Guardian does review classical music and concerts as well, which is getting rarer these days.
>>
>The funny thing is, just yesterday I read a piece in that very same Ageing Hipster Times saying the exact opposite. Hip twentysomethings are checking out of Spotify because they don't want to turn into Dan-types and listen to one-song one-track minds glugging on music like chocoloate.
>They want to listen to the artist's entire creative effort in album form and have real experiences.
>They go to live shows (imagine that!) and buy cd's straight from the hipster horse's mouth and I guess there's a place called Bandcamp they frequent a lot.
>There's so much content on the Ageing Hipster Times I can't find the article anymore, 24 hours later.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/sep/27/theres-endless-choice-but-youre-not-listening-fans-quitting-spotify-to-save-their-love-of-music

HT

Oct 2, 2022, 12:27:49 PM10/2/22
Op zondag 2 oktober 2022 om 18:14:32 UTC+2 schreef Mr. Mike:

> https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/sep/27/theres-endless-choice-but-youre-not-listening-fans-quitting-spotify-to-save-their-love-of-music

It's at least true for me. I cancelled my subscription. Spotify is too much of a good thing.

Henk

Andrew Clarke

Oct 2, 2022, 5:39:49 PM10/2/22
On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 9:30:17 PM UTC+11, dan....@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 8:27:19 AM UTC-7, MELMOTH wrote:
> > Andrew Clarke a émis l'idée suivante :
> > >
> > > and I'm older than Frank Berger
> >
> > And WHO is the oldest in this
> > forum ?...I ask the questuon...
> I am going on 17!

I am 18 going on 19, I'll .... take care ... of you!

It's a sobering thought that the man who wrote "Manhattan" finished up writing "The Sound of Music". There's the ravages of old age for you.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Al Eisner

Oct 2, 2022, 7:27:58 PM10/2/22
Given where it winds up, toilet paper is a horribly pessimistic
analog to life. As for toilet paper rolls, do "nost folks" really
believe the grossly-wrong assumption you mention?
--
Al Eisner

Paul Alsing

Oct 2, 2022, 7:41:27 PM10/2/22
"Nost folks"? You need new reading glasses...

Néstor Castiglione

Oct 2, 2022, 7:56:59 PM10/2/22
Or that the man who butchered The Magnificent Ambersons ended up directing The Sound of Music. Onward and downward!

raymond....@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2022, 9:13:10 PM10/2/22
On Monday, 3 October 2022 at 03:14:32 UTC+11, Mr. Mike wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 00:40:02 -0700 (PDT), Herman <her...yahoo.com>
I am too old in the tooth to have ever embraced streaming, or ever found I needed to. Music cannot be subsumed into a pile of 1s and 0s, and a filename. This is at best left for mundane purposes such as filling up a mobile phone with piles of Vivaldi to play whilst out for a walk with the dog.

However, there are drawbacks to having a CD collection, such as one I am having at the moment. Which is locating another CD player for a bedroom audio setup. The internet tells me CD players are now defunct, and in fact that CDs themselves were obsolete 5 or more years ago. Apart from the availabilty of plastic brightly coloured things that go under the name of CD players, or boomboxes, what can one buy? A bluray player (bluray now defunct), or a DVD player, what are the options? A highly priced high end CD player?

In fact it would be nice to know what players others here are using, or what they would do if they were buying another player. Thanks in advance.

Ray Hall, Taree

Todd M. McComb

Oct 2, 2022, 9:19:54 PM10/2/22
In article <b796f0c0-0ed3-4cb9...@googlegroups.com>,
raymond....@gmail.com <raymond....@gmail.com> wrote:
>In fact it would be nice to know what players others here are
>using, or what they would do if they were buying another player.

Got an old computer?

CD players are readily available as computer hardware, and they're
cheap. But then you need something to control it, i.e. press play,
etc. (Some people use a cheap computer like a raspberry Pi for
something like this.) I guess you didn't like this thought the
last time I shared it, though.

raymond....@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2022, 9:59:00 PM10/2/22
On Monday, 3 October 2022 at 12:19:54 UTC+11, Todd M. McComb wrote:
> In article <b796f0c0-0ed3-4cb9...googlegroups.com>,
> raymond....gmail.com <raymond....gmail.com> wrote:
> >In fact it would be nice to know what players others here are
> >using, or what they would do if they were buying another player.
> Got an old computer?
>
> CD players are readily available as computer hardware, and they're
> cheap. But then you need something to control it, i.e. press play,
> etc. (Some people use a cheap computer like a raspberry Pi for
> something like this.) I guess you didn't like this thought the
> last time I shared it, though.

Thx, a good idea. Hadn't thought of it.

Ray Hall, Taree

Andrew Clarke

Oct 3, 2022, 7:41:05 AM10/3/22
A BluRay or DVD player will also play CDs. I use a Sony BPD BluRay because it has a separate coaxial audio output which means that the audio avoids my TV set and goes straight into my amplifier. This is a Denon that has RCA plugs / 2 x optical plugs / 1 x coax plug and a Bluetooth receiver as inputs. For streaming TV, I use a Google Chromecast feeding the TV via an HTML splitter which sends the audio to the amp via an optical cable - again avoiding the TV sound system - and the video to the TV. For portable audio I use a sale price Nokia mobile phone from The Good Guys with a big HD card inside plus the Media Monkey media player for Android from which I can Bluetooth either to the Denon amp or to wireless headphones.

Sadly, the Sony isn't gapless when playing AAC files: it may or may not be gapless when playing CDs. Gaps are removed from the digital file using the free version of Audacity. Media Monkey isn't absolutely gapless, but the gap is so slight I don't notice it.

I also have an El Cheapo MS Windows laptop which is mostly used as a portable TV set, using Bluetooth for audio or else a Dragonfly headphone amp and Sennhauser wired headphones. Ripped DVDs are stored in a 2 Tb hard drive stuck to the lid with double-sided tape. Streaming TV is not a problem - using the browser, not apps - and if i need a bigger screen I just connect it to our second TV with an HDMI cable.

As previously reported, I stopped buying CDs years ago, except at charity shops. The rest of the time it's downloads. DVDs get ripped using Winx software on my desktop. Op shop CDs get ripped with dBpoweramp.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

mINE109

Oct 3, 2022, 10:28:16 AM10/3/22
On 10/2/22 8:13 PM, raymond....@gmail.com wrote:
> However, there are drawbacks to having a CD collection, such as one I
> am having at the moment. Which is locating another CD player for a
> bedroom audio setup. The internet tells me CD players are now
> defunct, and in fact that CDs themselves were obsolete 5 or more
> years ago. Apart from the availabilty of plastic brightly coloured
> things that go under the name of CD players, or boomboxes, what can
> one buy? A bluray player (bluray now defunct), or a DVD player, what
> are the options? A highly priced high end CD player?
>
> In fact it would be nice to know what players others here are using,
> or what they would do if they were buying another player. Thanks in
> advance.

Players from Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon are still available at online sites.

My old players still work, but if I only listened with headphones at the
computer, a disc drive and software would suffice. If I had a system
with speakers that included a tv, a bluray player would be easiest to
find, with the caveat that most all affordable models have HDMI and
sometimes coax digital output only.

raymond....@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2022, 10:40:17 AM10/3/22
On Monday, 3 October 2022 at 22:41:05 UTC+11, andrewc...gmail.com wrote:
I have just acquired a Denon amp. that only has RCA inputs so this leaves me with fewer options. An external DAC or rely on a cheapo player with a crappy internal DAC? Then of course control of the player, and track readout. It all becomes very messy and in the end I am more or less resigned to getting a Denon CD player. My other system uses Yamaha equipment. As I don't use the TV much other than for movies on SBS, I can get by without worrying about video options. I don't stream either, so am spared options for that also.

I use YouTube mostly for info and sampling of music, and don't use video for real listening. In another world I'd rethink how I got to this state, but I am not complaining.

You seem to have embraced a newer world, but I will still hold by my CDs.

Ray Hall, Taree

Graham

Oct 3, 2022, 12:32:36 PM10/3/22
I have numerous cassettes, acquired when I got fed up with returning
faulty LPs. This last week, I wanted to listen to some Stenhammar
quartets but my Nakamichi deck won't play them - the second time such a
breakdown has occurred.

Andrew Clarke

Oct 3, 2022, 7:38:36 PM10/3/22
We have now reached the stage where it's a lot easier to buy a turntable for vinyl than it is to buy a CD player ...

I still have in my odds and ends boxes a small but adequate external DAC, I think from Lindy, that plugs into a computer's USB socket. It has RCA outputs. I don't know if these are still available. Or you might be able to buy online something that converts from coax to RCA.

At the other end of the financial spectrum, there is, of course, Sonos ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

raymond....@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2022, 9:38:50 PM10/3/22
On Tuesday, 4 October 2022 at 10:38:36 UTC+11, andrewc...gmail.com wrote:
I ended up splurging for a Denon player, simply because there is always an unknown factor about buying an online DAC, then there is the conversion cable which is easy enough to get online. I suspect the Denon amp (on its way also) was a fsir bit cheaper simply because of RCA only inputs. Nearly everything is HDMI these days, or optical (which I have never used). Checking inputs and outputs of equipment these days can be tricky, especially as BluRays and DVDs cater primarily for video connections.

And yes, it is much easier to buy a turntable, which is stupid when you think about it.

Ray Hall, Taree

MELMOTH

Oct 4, 2022, 3:17:22 AM10/4/22
raymond....@gmail.com a exposé le 04/10/2022 :
> I ended up splurging for a Denon player, simply because there is always an
> unknown factor about buying an online DAC, then there is the conversion cable
> which is easy enough to get online. I suspect the Denon amp (on its way also)
> was a fsir bit cheaper simply because of RCA only inputs.

3 years ago I bought the Marantz 6006 CD player, of which I only use
the playback part (and the USB output), connected by optical cable to
my Audiomat DAC...It cost 350 euros...Nowadays, it can only be found
at...1500 euros !...

Herman

Oct 4, 2022, 3:51:28 AM10/4/22
On Tuesday, October 4, 2022 at 9:17:22 AM UTC+2, MELMOTH wrote:

> 3 years ago I bought the Marantz 6006 CD player, of which I only use
> the playback part (and the USB output), connected by optical cable to
> my Audiomat DAC...It cost 350 euros...Nowadays, it can only be found
> at...1500 euros !...

One google search yields a 350 euro price for the marantz 6006 today, so don't give up your day job.

Andrew Clarke

Oct 4, 2022, 3:58:52 AM10/4/22
Well, I hope you enjoy listening to your new Denon boxes - I have the "Baby" Denon amp which does have a matching CD player, and it's this amp that has all the different inputs.

I looked up "Hi Fi systems" on Google, and what I got were, for the most part, the kind of "mini hi-fis" you get at department stores. There are some high(er) end BluRay players on the market, although I suspect more work has gone into the video than the audio. One of the ironies of history is that the invention of the HDMI cable and the flat screen TV - complete with tinny speakers - came at round about the same time ...

With respect to the other subtopic here, namely old age, I am finding that digital technology, including downloads/rips, is making life a whole lot easier when it comes to purchasing and playing music. I can download, organise, store and play new recordings within about half an hour, without leaving the house, and it's so much easier to switch on the amp and its Bluetooth receiver (with a remote) and transmit the requested item from my Nokia than be fiddling around with CDs. Yes, I do have lower back problems. And the sound quality from the latest Bluetooth is, for my purposes, perfectly acceptable.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Andrew Clarke

Oct 4, 2022, 4:00:31 AM10/4/22
We'll all have to become Qobuzards ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Todd M. McComb

Oct 4, 2022, 12:56:49 PM10/4/22
In article <2ee3114c-4ce5-4651...@googlegroups.com>,
Andrew Clarke <andrewc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>We'll all have to become Qobuzards ...

Or just play CDs off a computer drive... really an easy thing to
do....

Andrew Clarke

Oct 4, 2022, 7:01:16 PM10/4/22
I think we all get that bit. There are two problems remaining:

(a) Matrimonial-visual. Where the system is in a living area, wives tend to dislike computers, cables and peripherals.
(b) Audible. Do we (a) bluetooth to powered speakers (b) cable to an amplifier from the computer's headphone jack (c) cable to an amplifier via a DAC connected to the computer's USB port?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Todd M. McComb

Oct 4, 2022, 7:15:40 PM10/4/22
In article <b60cf54a-7642-49c3...@googlegroups.com>,
Andrew Clarke <andrewc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>(a) Matrimonial-visual. Where the system is in a living area, wives
>tend to dislike computers, cables and peripherals.

Well I don't really have this issue, but a small old laptop is just
another piece of equipment sitting in my stereo rack....

>(c) cable to an amplifier via a DAC connected to the computer's
>USB port?

Yes, that's what I do.

Todd M. McComb

Oct 4, 2022, 11:02:47 PM10/4/22
In article <thieqo$7v7$1...@hope.eyrie.org>,
I mean, a tablet doesn't look that different from any other consumer
electronic controls these days.... But it needs a USB port. Only
enough power to run a media player, though. And I keep my music
on an external USB, so I can move it elsewhere. So no need for any
meaningful storage on the driving device. (Or you plug in a USB
CD player as noted. $10.) Or a decent DAC, since that's separate.
My daughter bought a tablet (new) a while back for $25. (And as
far as two USB ports, there are splitters. But you do need 1.)

As far as the "looks" of it, I realize that not all wives prefer
the "rat's nest" approach to living, as mine does, but isn't that
why God invented cabinets?

Andrew Clarke

Oct 4, 2022, 11:33:14 PM10/4/22
Melmoth admits to being 78. He still thinks in anciens francs '0{:-{)= ||||

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Andrew Clarke

Oct 5, 2022, 7:05:46 AM10/5/22
Still sounds a bit messy. You've got a poor little tablet with an external hard drive and an external DAC plugged into it via a cable at one end and, given the capacity of tablet batteries, a power cable at the other. Why not use a laptop with a decent battery capacity and a couple of USB ports built in, as well as a lid upon which you can glue or tape your hard drive?

I started off using a small Windows laptop + external DAC and hard drive, but I found that subfolders kept dropping into different levels of the hierarchy on my hard drive, and I got fed up with having to march over to the thing and fiddle with JRiver Media Center when the music stopped. My wife has lupus, and found the whole procedure dispiriting. We both find using a remote to control a BluRay player, using the TV as a monitor, is much more relaxing. And of course I often just use Bluetooth from my Nokia phone anyway, which, in the spirit of Ren'e Magritte has a large label on the back, upon which is written "THIS IS NOT A PHONE".

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Todd M. McComb

Oct 5, 2022, 1:52:09 PM10/5/22
In article <0547c237-6235-45eb...@googlegroups.com>,
Andrew Clarke <andrewc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Still sounds a bit messy.

The stuff just sits on a shelf.

>Why not use a laptop with a decent battery capacity and a couple
>of USB ports built in, as well as a lid upon which you can glue
>or tape your hard drive?

I do use a laptop, which I'm sure I said, but a tablet is a cheaper
buy-from-scratch option. Certainly no gluing/taping desired
though....

Andrew Clarke

Oct 5, 2022, 5:49:02 PM10/5/22
You want cheap already? Try my Budget Audio Travel Pak, which consists of a pair of Sony ear buds (Bluetooth) and my original Nokia Retro phone, the one with the buttons on the front. Cost AUD$90.00 a few years ago. Powder blue.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Todd M. McComb

Oct 6, 2022, 3:44:54 AM10/6/22
In article <cd3af625-6098-44df...@googlegroups.com>,
Andrew Clarke <andrewc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Try my Budget Audio Travel Pak, which consists of a pair of Sony
>ear buds (Bluetooth) and my original Nokia Retro phone, the one
>with the buttons on the front. Cost AUD$90.00 a few years ago.

That's certainly something someone can consider, according to their
needs.

The situation I was describing, however, concerned keeping the same
"stereo"/hi-fi/whatever quality one currently employs, but without
needing to find a now-difficult-to-obtain CD player per se.

Andrew Clarke

Oct 6, 2022, 9:28:21 AM10/6/22
I agree: the Travel Pak is strictly for use while using public transport, more particularly on the part of the bus furthest from the engine. I haven't tried it on light rail yet. I have a variety of ageing bits and pieces which I like to re-use from time to time, including my faithful Lindy plug-in DAC of yesteryear.

Another reason for using a laptop: JRiver Media Centre, a genuinely gapless player on Windows. I don't know anything about the Mac equivalent as I've never used Apple products.

What are people at the top end of town going to do when their CD players give up the ghost?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Todd M. McComb

Oct 6, 2022, 12:36:15 PM10/6/22
In article <862a5c8f-7318-437e...@googlegroups.com>,
Andrew Clarke <andrewc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>What are people at the top end of town going to do when their CD
>players give up the ghost?

Maybe someone will take a DAC, a CDROM drive, and a small tablet,
and put them together in a nifty package. Hey, maybe they'll even
weld them into a metal box. (Fun bonus: Then they can worry about
power interference on the analog output, and charge a LOT more to
mitigate it!)

gggg gggg

Oct 28, 2022, 1:48:27 PM10/28/22

https://www.google.com/search?q=rodney+dangerfield+respect+gif&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjigOD3uoP7AhXUgY4IHWbFAR0Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=rodney+dangerfield+respect+gif&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDFAAWABgAGgAcAB4AIABAIgBAJIBAJgBAKoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1n&sclient=img&ei=3xJcY6KVE9SDuvQP5oqH6AE&bih=657&biw=1366#imgrc=jZxciorNBt1cBM