'New' Wagner Ring from Thielemann

JamesA

May 15, 2013, 12:43:55 PM5/15/13
According to Norman Lebrecht, Thielemann's Vienna State Opera Ring cycle, recorded by DG, was not going to be released on CD. Well, it now is, scheduled for June in Germany, and subsequently elsewhere.
Thielemann's Bayreuth Ring, from a couple of years back, was a bit of a let-down to many people, largely due to the sub-par singing. This one seems to have a better cast, and (arguably) a better orchestra. Thielemann, despite an occasional tendency to disappoint, really ought to be a great Wagner conductor.
Anyone know anything more about this release?

Oscar

May 15, 2013, 12:52:22 PM5/15/13
On May 15, 9:43 am, JamesA wrote:

> Anyone know anything more about this release?

Wagner
Der Ring des Nibelungen
Christian Thielemann
Vienna State Opera

Release date (EU): June 24, 2013
Label: Deutsche Grammophon
Catalog number: 4791560
Format: 14 CD's + 2 DVD's
Sleeve art design: http://tiny.cc/7yw4ww
Price: ~$100

Label blurb:

<< Christian Thielemann’s reading of Wagner’s complete Ring Cycle at
the Wiener Staatsoper in 2011 was universally hailed as one of the
greatest Wagnerian events of the last half-century and is now being
released as a beautiful box set containing 14 CDs of the four Ring
operas and 2 DVDs featuring introductory films to each opera.

With the Chorus and Orchestra of the Vienna State Opera and an
outstanding cast of today’s leading dramatic singers, these
performances set the standard for Wagner interpretation in the 21st
Century.

The 4 documentary films were directed by acclaimed producer Eric
Schulz, complementing the audio recordings, providing an introduction,
commentary and analysis by experts, including conductor Christian
Thielemann. They will also be broadcast by the German/Austrian TV
channel 3Sat in April – one feature per week starting on 4th April.

Booklet contains synopses in German, English and French and libretti
in German and English.

• Das Rheingold: Albert Dohmen (Wotan), Markus Eiche (Donner), Herbert
Lippert (Froh), Adrian Eröd (Loge), Janina Baechle (Fricka), Alexandra
Reinprecht (Freia), Anna Larsson (Erda), Tomasz Konieczny (Alberich),
Wolfgang Schmidt (Mime)

• Die Walküre: Christopher Ventris (Siegmund), Eric Halfvarson
(Hunding), Albert Dohmen (Wotan), Waltraud Meier (Sieglinde), Katarina
Dalayman (Brünnhilde), Janina Baechle (Fricka)

• Siegfried: Stephen Gould (Siegfried), Linda Watson (Brünnhilde),
Albert Dohmen (Der Wanderer), Tomasz Konieczny (Alberich), Anna
Larsson (Erda), Wolfgang Schmidt (Mime), Ain Anger (Fafner) und Chen
Reiss (Stimme des Waldvogels)

• Götterdämmerung: Stephen Gould (Siegfried), Markus Eiche (Gunther),
Eric Halfvarson (Hagen), Linda Watson (Brünnhilde) Caroline Wenborne
(Gutrune), Janina Baechle (Waltraute)

Dana John Hill

May 15, 2013, 1:18:33 PM5/15/13
On 5/15/2013 12:52 PM, Oscar wrote:
> On May 15, 9:43 am, JamesA wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know anything more about this release?
>
> Wagner
> Der Ring des Nibelungen
> Christian Thielemann
> Vienna State Opera
>
> Release date (EU): June 24, 2013
> Label: Deutsche Grammophon
> Catalog number: 4791560
> Format: 14 CD's + 2 DVD's
> Sleeve art design: http://tiny.cc/7yw4ww
> Price: ~$100
>
> Label blurb:
>
> << Christian Thielemann�s reading of Wagner�s complete Ring Cycle at
> the Wiener Staatsoper in 2011 was universally hailed as one of the
> greatest Wagnerian events of the last half-century and is now being
> released as a beautiful box set containing 14 CDs of the four Ring
> operas and 2 DVDs featuring introductory films to each opera.
>
> With the Chorus and Orchestra of the Vienna State Opera and an
> outstanding cast of today�s leading dramatic singers, these
> performances set the standard for Wagner interpretation in the 21st
> Century.
>
> The 4 documentary films were directed by acclaimed producer Eric
> Schulz, complementing the audio recordings, providing an introduction,
> commentary and analysis by experts, including conductor Christian
> Thielemann. They will also be broadcast by the German/Austrian TV
> channel 3Sat in April � one feature per week starting on 4th April.
>
> Booklet contains synopses in German, English and French and libretti
> in German and English.
>
> � Das Rheingold: Albert Dohmen (Wotan), Markus Eiche (Donner), Herbert
> Lippert (Froh), Adrian Er�d (Loge), Janina Baechle (Fricka), Alexandra
> Reinprecht (Freia), Anna Larsson (Erda), Tomasz Konieczny (Alberich),
> Wolfgang Schmidt (Mime)
>
> � Die Walk�re: Christopher Ventris (Siegmund), Eric Halfvarson
> (Hunding), Albert Dohmen (Wotan), Waltraud Meier (Sieglinde), Katarina
> Dalayman (Br�nnhilde), Janina Baechle (Fricka)
>
> � Siegfried: Stephen Gould (Siegfried), Linda Watson (Br�nnhilde),
> Albert Dohmen (Der Wanderer), Tomasz Konieczny (Alberich), Anna
> Larsson (Erda), Wolfgang Schmidt (Mime), Ain Anger (Fafner) und Chen
> Reiss (Stimme des Waldvogels)
>
> � G�tterd�mmerung: Stephen Gould (Siegfried), Markus Eiche (Gunther),
> Eric Halfvarson (Hagen), Linda Watson (Br�nnhilde) Caroline Wenborne
> (Gutrune), Janina Baechle (Waltraute)

I noticed this on the DG website a few days ago. It's not on my short
list of must-haves at the moment, but at under $80 with a libretto and
(English) translation, plus extra video content, it is, at least, a
reasonably good deal for a new recording.

That said, isn't it likely that this Cycle will get a full Blu-ray
release at some point? It's not on the DG schedule right now, but if
cameras were there, and it has the Unitel logo on the box, it seems likely.

Dana John Hill
Gainesville, Florida

wkasimer

May 15, 2013, 1:33:25 PM5/15/13
On May 15, 12:43 pm, JamesA <r.j.arn...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Thielemann's Bayreuth Ring, from a couple of years back, was a bit of a let-down to many people, largely due to the sub-par singing. This one seems to have a better cast,

To me, the cast looks no more promising than the Bayreuth cycle.
Wolfgang Schmidt as Mime? Ick.

Bill

Nicholas G

May 15, 2013, 2:49:07 PM5/15/13
Linda Watson is also a disappointment. Shame they couldn't have got Nina Stemme.

JamesA

May 23, 2013, 11:33:26 AM5/23/13
There's a review here from someone obviously quick off the mark:

http://voix-des-arts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/cd-review-richard-wagnerder-ring-des.html

It's long, but his verdict: better than Bayreuth, but still leaves much to be desired, including in the orchestra.