ives

Malcolm Y

Aug 15, 2021, 12:39:27 PMAug 15
Hi
I don't know Charles Ives
what do you advise me to listen to? and by whom?
thank you

MiNe109

Aug 15, 2021, 12:56:41 PMAug 15
On 8/15/21 11:39 AM, Malcolm Y wrote:
> Hi
> I don't know Charles Ives
> what do you advise me to listen to? and by whom?

This box is as good a place to start as any:

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Conducts-Ives-Michael-Tilson/dp/B08F6RYDFD/ref=pd_sbs_4/132-0793279-9200023?pd_rd_w=e64MT&pf_rd_p=0f56f70f-21e6-4d11-bb4a-bcdb928a3c5a&pf_rd_r=16HN5BWZAA7441B5GKQD&pd_rd_r=4155206d-af81-456d-801c-9eb2bd2530d8&pd_rd_wg=bks6S&pd_rd_i=B08F6RYDFD&psc=1

Sorry about the URL. It's the MTT box which includes the orchestral
works. The Unanswered Question and Symphony #4 to begin.

I see Steven Mayer has recorded the piano works. The Concord Sonata is
probably the most played. There are also plenty of song recitals. Take
your pick!

JohnGavin

Aug 15, 2021, 1:05:40 PMAug 15
Symphony #4
Concord Sonata
Songs with Jan DeGaetani & Kalish

HT

Aug 15, 2021, 1:51:30 PMAug 15
Op zondag 15 augustus 2021 om 19:05:40 UTC+2 schreef JohnGavin:
Very difficult to make a choice. When I think of Ives, I hear "Memories", "The circus band", and "The Alcotts".

Henk

raymond....@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2021, 7:51:00 PMAug 15
There is a Double Decca of his 4 symphonies, plus the 2 orchestral sets, which offers a great introduction to Ives. Mehta does the first two symphonies, Marriner the third, with number four and the two orchestral sets being done by Dohnanyi/Cleveland.

Others might advise on MTT, Andrew Davis, James Sinclair, but the Double Decca is an inexpensive purchase and covers a lot of Ives very well and in decent sound.

Ray Hall, Taree

Peter

Aug 15, 2021, 8:45:01 PMAug 15
I haven't heard it yet, but all the reviews I've seen of the Dudamel/DG box of the four symphonies have been enthusiastic. I realize any positive reference to The Dude on this list is hazardous, but just sayin......

Paul Goodman

Aug 15, 2021, 11:08:04 PMAug 15
On Aug 15, 2021, Malcolm Y wrote
(in article <sfbfvq$1vb8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>):
For all 4 symphonies, I like the LA Philharmonic with Dudamel conducting on
DG. For the 4th symphony itself, I imprinted on the Stokowski, American
Symphony Orchestra recording which I had on LP and now have in a Sony box of
the Stokowski Columbia Stereo recordings.
--
Paul Goodman

Alan Cooper

Aug 16, 2021, 9:40:05 AMAug 16
Not the symphonies except for #4 (I'm stuck on Stokowski because I attended the premiere, but there are other fine recordings) and "Holidays" (Johanos, Bernstein, MTT) and that should be after you've familiarized yourself with more interesting and approachable works. Start with the two string quartets (Juilliard) and the violin sonatas (Zukofsky or Fulkerson), then to the "Concord" Sonata (Trythall, Kirkpatrick, Kalish) and vocal music (solo & choral, start with the MTT collection https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7928923--charles-ives-an-american-journey, which also includes "3 Places in New England"). [The continuing unavailability of most of the Gregg Smith recordings is a continuing outrage.]

Fwiw, I don't think the first 3 symphonies amount to much, which is why I'm steering you in other directions. Most of all, enjoy!

AC

number_six

Aug 16, 2021, 8:56:05 PMAug 16
The Unanswered Question - Gould /CSO

nk Tomm

Aug 16, 2021, 10:08:15 PMAug 16
3 Page Sonata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-WS8wB9Vg

Great sonata !

gggg gggg

Sep 17, 2021, 11:30:39 PMSep 17
On Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 9:39:27 AM UTC-7, Malcolm Y wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/27/charles-ives-complete-symphonies-dudamel-laphil-review
Message has been deleted

gggg gggg

Sep 17, 2021, 11:44:04 PMSep 17
On Sunday, August 15, 2021 at 9:39:27 AM UTC-7, Malcolm Y wrote:
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.music.classical/c/IH_hrVlLcZs

Kerrison

Sep 22, 2021, 7:17:34 AMSep 22
Decca came out with a 'Weekend Classics' CD on which Bernard Herrmann conducted Ives's 2nd Symphony, coupled with Stokowski conducting the Orchestral Set No. 2, both with the London Symphony. You can also see Stokowski conducting the Ives 4th for a TV transmission a few days after he'd given the work its World Premiere ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xXv55ARtsM&t=50s

Joe Markley

Sep 22, 2021, 11:48:38 AMSep 22
On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 7:17:34 AM UTC-4, Kerrison wrote:

> Decca came out with a 'Weekend Classics' CD on which Bernard Herrmann conducted Ives's 2nd Symphony, coupled with Stokowski conducting the Orchestral Set No. 2, both with the London Symphony. You can also see Stokowski conducting the Ives 4th for a TV transmission a few days after he'd given the work its World Premiere ...

With all due respect to the great Bernard Herrmann, his performance of the Ives 2nd--though not without interest--is pretty deadly.

Joe Markley
Plantsville, Connecticut

Kerrison

Sep 22, 2021, 12:42:01 PMSep 22
Yes, it's a pity that by the time he moved to England in the late 1960s, and began making commercial recordings for several different companies, Herrmann's health was beginning to decline and this resulted in several dull performances. They weren't all bad but his Ives 2nd, and especially his 'Phase 4 Stereo' "Planets," were among his poorer recordings. However, he'd given the UK Premiere of the Ives 2nd in 1956 with the LSO. The BBC broadcast of that performance has been issued on 'Pristine Audio' and the total timing comes to 37:47, whereas his 1972 'Decca' recording clocks in at 47:17, a difference of nearly 10 minutes. I think I read somewhere that he opened up some cuts in the work that other conductors had made but I don't recall the details.