Penny Ambrose--help

Alan J. Ardell

May 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/2/98

I recently bought the LP "Presenting Penny Ambrose in her Recording
Debut", Golden Crest CR8000, in which the 14 or 15 year old Penny plays
Tartini's Devil's Trill sonata, a Paganini Caprice (#13) and a few other
pieces. I learned that Penny Ambrose died on Sept. 10, 1963 of carbon
monoxide poisoning in Coventry, CT. This is from a NY Times article dated
Sept. 12. There is no mention of how many records she made, but the
article mentions that in the Nov. 1962 Wieniawski Violin Competition she
tied for 5th place. In 1962 she was also offered a 1-yr scholarship to
study in Moscow with David Oistrakh, but evidently turned it down. The
picture accompanying the article shows an unsmiling young woman which is
quite a contrast to the pinafore-clad young Penny on the record jacket.
She seems to have been a major talent, but probably not the best of her
generation. Still very sad. If anyone out there has any information
about her career or her dicography I would appreciate hearing about it.
Many thanks.

wen...@podium-wendel.de

May 22, 2013, 3:19:48 PM5/22/13
Am Samstag, 2. Mai 1998 09:00:00 UTC+2 schrieb Alan J. Ardell:
> I recently bought the LP "Presenting Penny Ambrose in her Recording Debut", Golden Crest CR8000, in which the 14 or 15 year old Penny plays Tartini's Devil's Trill sonata, a Paganini Caprice (#13) and a few other pieces. I learned that Penny Ambrose died on Sept. 10, 1963 of carbon monoxide poisoning in Coventry, CT. This is from a NY Times article dated Sept. 12. There is no mention of how many records she made, but the article mentions that in the Nov. 1962 Wieniawski Violin Competition she tied for 5th place. In 1962 she was also offered a 1-yr scholarship to study in Moscow with David Oistrakh, but evidently turned it down. The picture accompanying the article shows an unsmiling young woman which is quite a contrast to the pinafore-clad young Penny on the record jacket. She seems to have been a major talent, but probably not the best of her generation. Still very sad. If anyone out there has any information about her career or her dicography I would appreciate hearing about it. Many thanks.

Guten Tag,

es freut mich, dass sich doch noch einige wenige zu Penny Ambrose interessieren.
Ich habe gerade die 6 Stücke ihrer Platte in YouTube gestellt. Sie finden mich auch in Facebook. Ich habe dort heute eine "Gruppe" Penny Ambrose ertsellt. Sind Sie bei Facebook? Wenn ja, würde ich Sie zum Beitritt zu "Penny Ambrose" bitten.
Mit freundlichem Gruß
Wolfgang Wendel

hgi...@sbcglobal.net

Sep 25, 2018, 6:37:04 PM9/25/18