Historic American Sheet Music: Klaus Heim's Post

Joseph Raymond

Jan 22, 2002, 3:26:10 AM1/22/02
>American historic sheet music.
>
>http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/smhtml/smhome.html
>
>This is the most interesting, American Sheet Music from 1870-1885.
Contains
>a method, "The Guitar without a master" by Louis Bail, and some
pieces by
>Bemis, Hayden, Lopes, Bateman. Anybody heard of these people?

>Klaus

I explored the LOC site a little and found the guitar music of W.L.
Hayden to have a nice sonority and be easy to play. With 117 entries
by his name, this guy was quite prolific. It was fun to play through
his arrangement of Gounod's "Marionette's Funeral March." Another
piece I especially liked is titled "Schubert's Serenade." It sure
sounds familiar. However, I don't know how much of it is Schubert and
how much is Hayden since the music does not explicitly say "by
F.Schubert."

Anyway, Hayden is a good find. I intend to read through more of his
pieces. Thanks Klaus!

http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/mussm:@field(AUTHOR+@band(Hayden,+W++L+++))

Joe

Klaus Heim

Jan 22, 2002, 3:47:18 AM1/22/02

"Joseph Raymond" <experien...@excite.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> >American historic sheet music.
> >
> >http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/smhtml/smhome.html
> >
> >This is the most interesting, American Sheet Music from 1870-1885.
> Contains
> >a method, "The Guitar without a master" by Louis Bail, and some
> pieces by
> >Bemis, Hayden, Lopes, Bateman. Anybody heard of these people?
>
> >Klaus
>
> I explored the LOC site a little and found the guitar music of W.L.
> Hayden to have a nice sonority and be easy to play. With 117 entries
> by his name, this guy was quite prolific. It was fun to play through
> his arrangement of Gounod's "Marionette's Funeral March." Another
> piece I especially liked is titled "Schubert's Serenade." It sure
> sounds familiar. However, I don't know how much of it is Schubert and
> how much is Hayden since the music does not explicitly say "by
> F.Schubert."

Looking at the score, I would say this is Schubert's "Ständchen", known to
the guitar world through Mertz's transcription. I'll have to double-check at
home.

Klaus

Matanya Ophee

Jan 22, 2002, 9:43:58 AM1/22/02
"Klaus Heim" <klh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Looking at the score, I would say this is Schubert's "Ständchen", known to
>the guitar world through Mertz's transcription.

It is. I have it. Incidentally, before the Staendchen was known to the
world through the Mertz transcription, it was known in the Liszt
transcription which is the one Mertz transcribed.

As for the US, a wonderful transcription was published in 1848 in New
York by the publisher Ernst, made, especially for the American market
by the then visiting Marco Aurelio Zani de Ferranti, who was touring
the States together with Camillo Sivori. That spawned a large number
of copy cats.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226
614-846-9517
fax: 614-846-9794
http://www.orphee.com

jed

Jan 22, 2002, 2:45:07 PM1/22/02
I believe there is a similar site of 19th century music with Caifornia
imprints. I do not recall the URL, but looked at it briefly about
five years ago, when it was first getting started. The site is
administered by one of the campuses of the U. of California, if memory
serves.

On 22 Jan 2002 00:26:10 -0800, experien...@excite.com (Joseph

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Jan 22, 2002, 2:44:48 PM1/22/02
The Summer 2001 issue of Soundboard reproduces Hayden's arrangement of Gounod's Funeral
March. The accompanying article states that they haven't presented any of Hayden's work
previously because of its "rather low quality".
I think this one's fun, though.

Steve

Joseph Raymond wrote:

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
Brooklyn, NY

Childbloom

Jan 24, 2002, 5:42:55 PM1/24/02
Klause Heim originally wrote:
"Hayden, Lopes, Bateman. Anybody heard of these people? "

Several years ago at "Wendy's" restaurants (an American Hamburger Franchise)
the tabletops had a picture of an old catalogue page from the 1880's. In a
small ad there was for sale, "Guitars and flutes" by W. L. Hayden. He also was
advertising for guitar lessons. Actually he and his wife, who seemed to be a
superior composer, owned a publishing catalogue of over 1000 pieces. I believe
they lived in Philadelphia, though the Wendy's tabletop ad, as I recall had a
Boston address. Somewhere I remember reading that the publishers lost most of
their property in a fire.
Kevin Taylor

Matanya Ophee

Jan 24, 2002, 5:59:23 PM1/24/02
child...@aol.com (Childbloom) wrote:

>Several years ago at "Wendy's" restaurants (an American Hamburger Franchise)
>the tabletops had a picture of an old catalogue page from the 1880's. In a
>small ad there was for sale, "Guitars and flutes" by W. L. Hayden. He also was
>advertising for guitar lessons. Actually he and his wife, who seemed to be a
>superior composer, owned a publishing catalogue of over 1000 pieces. I believe
>they lived in Philadelphia, though the Wendy's tabletop ad, as I recall had a
>Boston address. Somewhere I remember reading that the publishers lost most of
>their property in a fire.

And a good thing it was, if you ask my honest opinion. This Hayden had
the habit of giving an opus number to every single bit he wrote. I
have some works by him with opus number 750, 800 etc.