Alexander Bellow?

Sean Winkler

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
Someone recently mentioned Alexander Bellow in the context of his
"Illustrated History of the Guitar."
I am curious to know if anyone out there has played Mr. Bellow's music
at all. I have several pieces composed by him that are interesting, and
I would like to hear some other opinions regarding his music. Thank
you.

Sean Winkler

CMPJOHNB

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
>I have several pieces composed by him that are interesting, and
>I would like to hear some other opinions regarding his music. Thank

I have a "Cavatina" (3 movements) written by Mr. Bellow that I bought a long
time ago. I've played through it many times but have never put in the work
required for performance in public Although not very difficult,.the "Cavatina"
is
a bit on the too "modern" side for my taste....but it has sort of grown on me.
I find a major work by Sor or Guliani much easier for me to understand.
The first movement of the "Cavatina" has a "haunting" quality that I like..It's
written in E minor...
As for audience reaction to the "Cavatina", I think people might be left with a
"Wha...??,...Hmmmm., or a Whoa...!.

John B

Larry Deack

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
Sean Winkler wrote:
> I am curious to know if anyone out there has played Mr. Bellow's music
> at all. I have several pieces composed by him that are interesting, and

> I would like to hear some other opinions regarding his music. Thank
> you.

I played his transcription of Ravel's "Pavane pour une infante défunte"
which is a great transcription but none of his music. A friend of mine knew
him and said he had tons of music when he died and he wondered what became
of it. My friend is Charlie Buckalew who did the ragtime transcription on my
web page. He is a very good transcriber and said that Mr. Bellow was one of
the best in his opinion. I don't know anything about his original
compositions but judging by the transcriptions I'd say he was a fine
musician.

carol

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
I went to high school with someone who later lived in NYC and studied
under Alexander Bellow. This person is himself a classical guitarist and
composer. He might have some interesting insights on the late Mr.
Bellow. His name is Owen Middleton, and he teaches at the University of
South Alabama. I do not have a current e-mail address, nor do I know if
he follows this newsgroup, but you could probably find him with an
inquiry or two.

Regards.

Bob Moffit
r-mo...@home.com

Sean Winkler wrote:

> Someone recently mentioned Alexander Bellow in the context of his
> "Illustrated History of the Guitar."

> I am curious to know if anyone out there has played Mr. Bellow's music
> at all. I have several pieces composed by him that are interesting, and
> I would like to hear some other opinions regarding his music. Thank
> you.
>

> Sean Winkler

Sean Winkler

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
carol wrote:

Actually, I also have a book of three pieces by Owen Middleton that I
also like to play. Interesting. Actually, I do know two students of
Alexander Bellow as well, I was just looking for other opinions. Thanks
for the information.

Sean Winkler

nell...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2013, 8:47:44 PM1/9/13
On Wednesday, July 14, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Sean Winkler wrote:
> Someone recently mentioned Alexander Bellow in the context of his
> "Illustrated History of the Guitar."
> I am curious to know if anyone out there has played Mr. Bellow's music
> at all. I have several pieces composed by him that are interesting, and
> I would like to hear some other opinions regarding his music. Thank
> you.
>
> Sean Winkler

I played a great deal of Bellow's music and totally enjoyed it - both learning it and playing it. I still teach some of it. For some reason, both his method of teaching and his compositions seem to lose favor with time. That is a shame. They were both highly worthwhile.

nell...@gmail.com

Jan 9, 2013, 8:56:18 PM1/9/13
On Wednesday, July 14, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Sean Winkler wrote:
> Someone recently mentioned Alexander Bellow in the context of his
> "Illustrated History of the Guitar."
> I am curious to know if anyone out there has played Mr. Bellow's music
> at all. I have several pieces composed by him that are interesting, and
> I would like to hear some other opinions regarding his music. Thank
> you.
>
> Sean Winkler

I played a lot of his music and found it very interesting and fun to play. I was his student, and also a guinea pig for his music. I still teach some of it, and most students enjoy it. I would not hesitate to learn it. It is guitaristic, and can be very "soulful" .

rareb...@gmail.com

May 24, 2016, 8:56:52 PM5/24/16
I am a previous student of Alexander Bellow and I am looking for a copy of the Cavatina. I performed this work in New York and really liked it. Would you consider selling me a copy? I would very much appreciate it as Bellow was a huge influence in my life and on my music. I am trying to pull together all of his music and transcriptions because I would like to get them back in print. Musicologically, the International Anthology as well as the Renaissance and Baroque series contain music that was lost before Mr. Bellow dug them up from around the world. His original works are just as important. As far as I know his Sonata is the only one written for guitar in the twentieth century. My email is
ggo...@outlook.com. Thank you to all who might help!

Robert Marcus

Jun 6, 2023, 5:00:43 PM6/6/23
On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 8:56:52 PM UTC-4, rareb...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am a previous student of Alexander Bellow and I am looking for a copy of the Cavatina. I performed this work in New York and really liked it. Would you consider selling me a copy? I would very much appreciate it as Bellow was a huge influence in my life and on my music. I am trying to pull together all of his music and transcriptions because I would like to get them back in print. Musicologically, the International Anthology as well as the Renaissance and Baroque series contain music that was lost before Mr. Bellow dug them up from around the world. His original works are just as important. As far as I know his Sonata is the only one written for guitar in the twentieth century. My email is
> ggo...@outlook.com. Thank you to all who might help!

I am also looking for Alexander Bellow's music. I am particularly interested in "Cavatina" and "The Lute of Bach." I would love to buy wither or both of these.

Andrew Schulman

Jun 8, 2023, 4:44:38 PM6/8/23
On Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at 8:56:52 PM UTC-4, rareb...@gmail.com wrote:
> His original works are just as important. As far as I know his Sonata is the only one written for guitar in the twentieth century. My email is
> ggo...@outlook.com. Thank you to all who might help!

I don't know how many there are, but there are quite a few 20th century sonatas written for the guitar.

Andrew