Gretchen am Spinnrade

rey.p...@wanadoo.fr

Feb 6, 2008, 5:09:12 AM2/6/08
Hello,

Does anybody have the sheet music of Schubert¹s ³Gretchen am Spinnrade²
arranged for the guitar by Napoleon Coste?

Thank you.
--
http://apenberg.free.fr

Charlie

Feb 6, 2008, 11:36:31 AM2/6/08
If you coulod give me an Opus # it would be easier for me to check

Charlie

<rey.p...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

Steve Freides

Feb 6, 2008, 9:21:58 PM2/6/08
<rey.p...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

I'm trying to imagine this piece on classical guitar - it sure seems
like it would _not_ work well.

-S-

Charlie

Feb 6, 2008, 11:07:46 PM2/6/08
I've seen a handful fo Schubert transcriptions in the Boije Collection. I
can't remember where exactly and am not sure that Gretchen is one of them.
I believe Schubert wrote that when he was sixteen. It's a sweet piece.

I'm partial to Schubert.

Charlie

Steve Freides

Feb 7, 2008, 9:04:12 AM2/7/08
"Charlie" <gtr...@tds.net> wrote in message

> I've seen a handful fo Schubert transcriptions in the Boije
> Collection. I can't remember where exactly and am not sure that
> Gretchen is one of them. I believe Schubert wrote that when he was
> sixteen. It's a sweet piece.

It's a classic of the literature.

> I'm partial to Schubert.

And Schubert is the "classic" of art song composers - one can't do
better.

> Charlie

Sometimes, reading r.m.c.g makes me feel like Meine Ruh ist hin ... :)

-S-

Charlie

Feb 7, 2008, 4:51:16 PM2/7/08
You probably already know this Steve but Schubert wrote over 600 Lieder.;
I'
ve heard that many of them were originally accompanied on guitar but none of
the scores remain. I'm not sure if this is urban legend or not.

While I like his Lieder, I prefer his trios. They are absolute gems of
composition and feeling. Very nice stuff.

Charlie

Mark & Steven Bornfeld

Feb 7, 2008, 4:55:25 PM2/7/08

I didn't read the whole Schubert article in the recent issue of
Soundboard. I don't think it's that none of the scores remain so much
as there is doubt as to whether any are actually in Schubert's hand, or
who actually wrote what--all those wacky friends getting together for
those music orgies.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Steve Freides

Feb 7, 2008, 9:16:11 PM2/7/08

> You probably already know this Steve but Schubert wrote over 600
> Lieder.; I'
> ve heard that many of them were originally accompanied on guitar but
> none of the scores remain. I'm not sure if this is urban legend or
> not.

I have no clue - this and Mark's response to you are the first I've
heard of it, truth be told.

> While I like his Lieder, I prefer his trios. They are absolute gems
> of composition and feeling. Very nice stuff.

Although I started undergraduate school as a classical guitar major, I
finished as a voice major, and sang a lot of Schuber lieder and listened
to even more. I've heard and played other Schubert, and I agree it's
lovely, tuneful stuff, but there is nothing quite like listening to
Dietrich Fischer-Diskau (I'm sure I spelled that wrong but I'm too tired
to look it up at the moment) sing Schubert.

-S-

Charlie

Feb 7, 2008, 10:06:51 PM2/7/08
yup, i like his take on die winteriesse, not sure of the spelling either.
:-)

Charlie

Stefan Nowak

Feb 8, 2008, 4:49:17 AM2/8/08
Charlie wrote:
> yup, i like his take on die winteriesse, not sure of the spelling
> either. :-)

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, "Die Winterreise".

Stefan from Austria, who loves the Dieskau "Winterreise", too :-)

"Wenn meine Schmerzen schweigen, was bleibt mir dann von ihr?" - "If my
pain is silenced, then what will remind me of her?"

Steve Freides

Feb 8, 2008, 12:26:03 PM2/8/08
"Stefan Nowak" <minhas...@freenet.de> wrote in message

The textbook for the music appreciation course I teach includes CD's,
and one track is Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau singing The Earl King - it
doesn't get better than that.

-S-

Bridge Kaldro Music-Bridge Classical guitars

Feb 8, 2008, 2:46:58 PM2/8/08

My wife Kirsti and I have performed gretchen for years. . and
the answer is yes is what you are looking for

http://www.hebeonline.com/authors/schubert/works/songs/coste/coste.htm

enjoy

Ed Bridge
Bridge Kaldro Music
Full line Music Store with Internet prices
2890 N. Franklin st.
Christiansburg VA
24073
www.bridgekaldromusic.com
www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com

Arthur Ness

Feb 12, 2008, 8:40:35 PM2/12/08
"Steve Freides" <st...@fridayscomputer.com> wrote in message
Well, here it is!

Fischer-Dieskau is so expert in coloring his voice to express the
individual words of the lyrics, that his performances of Schubert
Lieder are legendary. Here with pianist Gerald Moore, is what many
would consider the greatest performance of the greatest Lied of all
time (composed by a
17-year-old)--click on "more" for the text and transl.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5B6nysheec

Fischer-Dieskau has recorded all 600 Schubert Lieder. But I get so
tired of his voice coloring. It becomes an affectation. Consequently
my minority opinion as the
preeminent Schubert vocalist of our time would go to Gérard Souzay,
especially his
Winterreise, Schöne Müllerin, and the Schubert Lieder on Philips (422
418-2)--reissued by ArkivMusic. Take a listen to a more lyrical
approach.
--
=====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====
* Free Download of the Week from Classical Music Library:

*Strauss' _ Don Juan, Op. 20_

Performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra;
Sir Charles Mackerras, conductor.
Go to my web page and click on Alexander Street Press link:

http://mysite.verizon.net/arthurjness/

For some free scores, go to:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/
===================================

Steve Freides

Feb 12, 2008, 9:27:36 PM2/12/08
"Arthur Ness" <arthu...@verizon.net> wrote in message

That is the duo on the recording in my textbook as well.

I watched that video just now, having listened to the recording a
million times, and it still gives me goosebumps, as does listening to
the recording alone.

> Fischer-Dieskau has recorded all 600 Schubert Lieder.
> But I get so tired of his voice coloring. It becomes an affectation.

I disagree strongly. That it is now familiar doesn't make it less
wonderful - don't listen to it so often if it has that effect on you.

> Consequently
> my minority opinion as the preeminent Schubert vocalist of
> our time would go to Gérard Souzay, especially his Winterreise,
> Schöne Müllerin, and the Schubert Lieder on Philips (422
> 418-2)--reissued by ArkivMusic. Take a listen to a more
> lyrical approach.

I know the name but I confess the sound of his voice hasn't stayed in my
memory - I'll do some listening.

-S-

Arthur Ness

Feb 12, 2008, 10:14:59 PM2/12/08
Yes, for many years I too considered Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau a
God, as far as
Lieder were concerned. I don';t listen to him much any nore,
especially after I came to know the recordings by Souzay and Baldwin,
I was won over to their performances. But surely
Souzay does not even approach the monumental repertory that Dieskau
has
performed and recorded. He seems to have set out to record everything
composed
for baritone!

I never heard him live (but close to it!). He is one of those
charismatic musicians whose live performances were electrifying
according to those who heard him. As close as I got to hearing him
was in a Munich La Traviata. Alas the Camille (Teresa Strata)
pitched forward and fainted from food poisoning (not premature
consumption, as I
thought) in the middle of the first act, and there was no understudy,
and the opera didn't continue.<sob>

I really should have made more of an effort to hear Fischer-Dieskau
live. (He
didn't perform at the substutute La Traviata, and I traded in my
expensive Summer Opera Festival ticket (about $35!<g>).

=====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====
* Free Download of the Week from Classical Music Library:

*Strauss' _ Don Juan, Op. 20_

Performed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra;
Sir Charles Mackerras, conductor.
Go to my web page and click on Alexander Street Press link:

http://mysite.verizon.net/arthurjness/

For some free scores, go to:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/
===================================

"Steve Freides" <st...@fridayscomputer.com> wrote in message

Andrew Schulman

Feb 12, 2008, 10:58:26 PM2/12/08
On Feb 12, 8:40 pm, "Arthur Ness" <arthurjn...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Fischer-Dieskau is so expert in coloring his voice to express the
> individual words of the lyrics, that his performances of Schubert
> Lieder are legendary. Here with pianist Gerald Moore...

Fish the Dish (as we used to call him) was Über-great but Gerald Moore
is one of my ultimate music heroes~

Andrew

Stefan Nowak

Feb 13, 2008, 5:18:20 AM2/13/08
Arthur Ness wrote:

> Fischer-Dieskau is so expert in coloring his voice to express the
> individual words of the lyrics, that his performances of Schubert
> Lieder are legendary. Here with pianist Gerald Moore, is what many
> would consider the greatest performance of the greatest Lied of all
> time (composed by a
> 17-year-old)--click on "more" for the text and transl.:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5B6nysheec

And here ist one of my favourite songs of the "Winterreise", called
"Erstarrung" (congealment):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkP4H2WdSiY

Stefan

Steve Freides

Feb 13, 2008, 1:13:53 PM2/13/08

> Yes, for many years I too considered Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau a
> God, as far as
> Lieder were concerned. I don';t listen to him much any nore,
> especially after I came to know the recordings by Souzay and Baldwin,
> I was won over to their performances. But surely
> Souzay does not even approach the monumental repertory that Dieskau
> has
> performed and recorded. He seems to have set out to record everything
> composed
> for baritone!

-snip-

Back to the beginning of this thread - anyone have a video link or an
audio link to Schubert Lieder being performed by voice and guitar?

-S-

Arthur Ness

Feb 13, 2008, 2:02:02 PM2/13/08
"Andrew Schulman" <abac...@panix.com> wrote in message

Andrew
Gerald Moore surely must remain one of the greatest accompanists of
the 20th century. He has an autobiography, <<The Unashamed
Accompanist.>> And the success of Fish the Dish as interpretor
of Schubert owes much to Moore.

As does Souzay to Dalton Baldwin. In fact if you explore Souzay, be
sure to listen to the CDs with Baldwin as pianist. Late in life
Souzay recorded with others, but in those works his voice is in
decline (likewise some recordings from the 1990s by DF-D are
embarrassing). Souzay was
excellent in masterclass situations. He understood what he was doing
and was able to impart those experiences
to others. I've heard that a masterclass with him was quite exciting.
Of course he was a master of the French song repertory, too, and
toured with Poulenc, who had composed a cycle of songs for
his teacher Bernac..

Of course, Schubert's was not the only setting of Erlkönig. There
were settings by Bachmann, Schröter, Miounsey, Zelter, Tomaschek,
Schlottmann, Loewe, Spohr (with violin obligatto), et al. Goethe
thought Zelter's was the best setting. Why? The poem remains intact.
None of that music stuff gets in the way.<g>
And <<Gretchen am Spinnrade>> was also set by Loewe, Wagner and
Verdi!!!! These and others are recorded on a Hungaroton CD HCD 32323
<<Goethe: Erlkönig/Gretchen am Spinnrade/Gretchens Bitte>> There's
even a youthful Wagner melodrama on <<Gretchens Bitte>> which Schubert
also set.

The "other" Erlkönig settings demonstrate (in comparison) Schubert's
youthful mastery. His is by far the finest setting of the poem. If
not the finest Lied of all time. (He made 4 or 5 settings.)

Andrew Schulman

Feb 13, 2008, 2:16:25 PM2/13/08
On Feb 13, 2:02 pm, "Arthur Ness" <arthurjn...@verizon.net> wrote:
> As does Souzay to Dalton Baldwin.  In fact if you explore Souzay, be
> sure to listen to the CDs with Baldwin as pianist.

Listening right now, very different style then F-D of course but also
a great singer.

Andrew

Andrew Schulman

Feb 13, 2008, 2:18:02 PM2/13/08
On Feb 13, 5:18 am, "Stefan Nowak" <minhas.te...@freenet.de> wrote:
> And here ist one of my favourite songs of the "Winterreise", called
> "Erstarrung" (congealment):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkP4H2WdSiY

Great having the score on the screen!

Andrew

RT

Feb 13, 2008, 2:18:41 PM2/13/08
Second only to Kurt Moll.
RT

"Arthur Ness" <arthu...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Arthur Ness

Feb 13, 2008, 3:53:17 PM2/13/08
"RT" <vze2...@verizon.net> wrote in message

| Second only to Kurt Moll.
| RT

Oh well, Roman. When it comes to Schubert Lieder superlatives come
easy!<g>

Here's Dietrich's Schöne Müllerin
http://cla.calpoly.edu/~smarx/courses/253/Schubert.html

There are quite a few CDs of Schubert lieder with guitar
accompaniment, but I can't off hand find any on-line.

Alain Reiher

Feb 14, 2008, 12:56:44 AM2/14/08
Forgot to ask ... where can I find the Italian tablature?

Alain

"Arthur Ness" <arthu...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Alain Reiher

Feb 14, 2008, 12:58:10 AM2/14/08
Schnooks! Wrong thread! I meant the Italian tablature for the Dall'Aquila
Ricercar # 3

Alain
"Alain Reiher" <rei...@telus.net> wrote in message

Arthur Ness

Feb 14, 2008, 8:39:06 AM2/14/08
"RT" <vze2...@verizon.net> wrote in message
| [Gerald Moore is] Second only to Kurt Moll.
| RT

Oh well, Roman. When it comes to Schubert Lieder superlatives come
easy!<g>

Here's Fischer-Dieskau's Die Schöne Müllerin
http://cla.calpoly.edu/~smarx/courses/253/Schubert.html

Arthur Ness

Feb 14, 2008, 8:56:46 AM2/14/08
Alain,

The tablatures are on my web site, right with the lute transcription.
All of the
pieces I've posted so far are with Italian tablature and
lute transcription. This is just a small sampling of five of Marco's
70 some extant works. Here's a direct link:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/id16.html

I want to post some more. He is really a fascinating composer (ca.
1470-after1538), and one of the best from the very earliest decades of
polyphonic lute music.

Is your guitar transcription available on-line? Perhaps I could make a
link to it.