Instrumentation of Façades by Philip Glass

Erik Leunissen

Jul 12, 2022, 10:00:24 AM7/12/22
(I never posted to this newsgroup, so if my question isn't appropriate here, could you please
indicate a better place for me to ask?)

A long time ago (25 or so) I witnessed a performance of "Façades" by the Philip Glass Ensemble.

I was blown away by that performance. The melody was played at that time by two wind instruments. If
my memory serves me well it was a B9-clarinet and an oboe in duet (accompanied by other
instruments). Now that 25 years have passed by, I'm looking up information about that piece on
internet, and I get confused about two different performances:

A. In this one, the melody seems to me to be played by either two soprano-saxophones, or one
clarinet + one soprano-sax. (The instruments sound very different, I'm unsure altogether.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8Tum513GLA

B. In this recording there do not seem to be any saxophones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl96P5D1eNg

Could someone knowledgeable w.r.t. wind instruments[*] clear up my confusion and tell which
instruments are being used in the performances A and B?

[*] I'm an amateur, very much interested in orchestration/instrumentation,
but still: amateur.

Note aside: regardless all kinds of possible arrangements, the score here:

https://issuu.com/scoresondemand/docs/facades_35060

lets the melody be played by Oboe, B9-Clarinet (and Flute?)

Thanks a lot in advance,
Erik Leunissen
--
elns@ nl | Merge the left part of these two lines into one,
xs4all. | respecting a character's position in a line.

Erik Leunissen

Jul 12, 2022, 10:07:19 AM7/12/22
On 12/07/2022 16:00, Erik Leunissen wrote:

> A long time ago (25 or so) I witnessed a performance of "Façades" by the Philip Glass Ensemble.

Actually, it may have been the Kronos quartet.

Erik.