Crash Test Dummies

Carl Hunter

Jan 31, 1995, 6:42:11 AM1/31/95
I was wondering if anybody has any information on the Crash Test
Dummies. Are they a good band for Christians or not. What do you think
the song "God Shuffled His Feet" really means. Is it putting down God?
I heard on the radio that they said that the reason they are doing
so well is because they had made a pack with the devil. Can anyone
confirm this?

Thanks
--
Carl Hunter
Oilers are the best

Bruce Garrity

Jan 31, 1995, 5:36:39 PM1/31/95
The pact with the devil stuff is garbage.
BUT, the lyrics in their new song "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkin Head" is a
abstract representation of Jesus. It tells of a guy who was in the right
place at the right time, got arrested and became a public hero and was
killed, not good news. This is definitly bad news.
I havn't figured out the song "God Shuffled His Feet", and none
of the other songs are "bad", but Pete Pumpkin is definitly bad news.

Plain Old Steve <><

BobBurman

Jan 31, 1995, 5:22:17 PM1/31/95
>Subject: Crash Test Dummies
>From: bd...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Carl Hunter)
>Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 11:42:11 GMT

Yeah, I was just talking to the devil the other day, and he mentioned a
pact that they had made. No mention of a pack, though.

Bob Burman
Chicago Since I gave up hope,
;-) I feel a lot better - Steve Taylor

NELE...@ulkyvm.louisville.edu

Jan 31, 1995, 6:15:39 PM1/31/95
In article <D39pu...@freenet.carleton.ca>

bd...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Carl Hunter) writes:

> I was wondering if anybody has any information on the Crash Test
>Dummies. Are they a good band for Christians or not. What do you think
>the song "God Shuffled His Feet" really means. Is it putting down God?
> I heard on the radio that they said that the reason they are doing
>so well is because they had made a pack with the devil. Can anyone
>confirm this?

oh, the joys of subtle sarcasm. no pact with the devil. although i would say t
hat is shows severe limitations in Satan's power if he can't make a group anymo
re popular than that. (they've only had one HIT single ya know) but i digress.
anyway, they're not Christians, but for the most part their music is ok and
non-offensive to Christians. possible exceptions being 'Two knights and
maidens','swimming in your ocean'(a song with not so veiled references to the
S word) and, depending on your interpretation 'god shuffled his feet' (i'll
leave the interpretation up to you) however, 'suprmans song' and'androgynous'
are both quite enjoyable. norm

AlanD Muse

Jan 31, 1995, 6:04:28 PM1/31/95
> I was wondering if anybody has any information on the Crash Test
>Dummies. Are they a good band for Christians or not. What do you think
>the song "God Shuffled His Feet" really means. Is it putting down God?

*****

GSHF is a droll little album, lyrically-speaking. While I don't think that
they're out to offend anyone outright, there are some lyrics which aren't
real...er, edifying. The title song talks about the first people shooting
the breeze with God in Eden and asking him questions like, "Do you have to
get your hair cut in Heaven?" God responds with a parable that makes
absolutely no sense and his listeners say so. God never really responds,
just shuffles his feet. In the big hit single, "Mmm,mmm", one of the
verses refers to a boy whose family attends a church where "they shook and
lurched all over the church floor". Then of course, there's the song about
two knights who want to take their damsels out to the woods together so
they can take turns watching. None of this is really presented in shocking
terms and is quite nice (if perhaps a little redundant) musically, but I
wouldn't mistake them for the new secular Christian band of the 90's.

Alan D.

C. James Dean

Jan 31, 1995, 10:34:37 PM1/31/95
Of course they made a pact with the devil. All secular bands do.
JOKE! Don't flame me.
I haven't heard God Shuffled His Feet, but if I remember
right about what the content of the song is it looks like it could be a
non-Christian's ideas on God and just how powerful he is if he exists.
The lead singer is a Philosophy major if that says anything about
their lyrics. I like the line in their song Hmm... that talks about the
kid who goes to church every sunday with his parents and he's not dure
why they go. There are many kids like that.

Charles James Dean live at Seattle Pacific University!
cha...@spu.edu

"You are my friends if you do what I command."

-John 14:15

Richard W Crosby

Jan 31, 1995, 10:53:08 PM1/31/95
bobb...@aol.com (BobBurman) writes:

>>Subject: Crash Test Dummies
>>From: bd...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Carl Hunter)
>>Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 11:42:11 GMT

> I was wondering if anybody has any information on the Crash Test
>>Dummies. Are they a good band for Christians or not. What do you think
>>the song "God Shuffled His Feet" really means. Is it putting down God?
> I heard on the radio that they said that the reason they are doing
>>so well is because they had made a pack with the devil. Can anyone
>>confirm this?

>> Thanks

A question, how do you, personally feel about the dummies. Totally
unbaised opinion. Personally, I think this is how someone should
descide what music they should listen too.

Personally, I like the dummies because a like the sound of the music,
and I like Superman's Song. I haven't heard God Shuffles His Feet, so
I really cant make any judgement about this song.

LIC,
Rik
--
__ _ _ _
| \| | | | | From the desk of the NiteWing
| |\ | |/\| | Richard W. Crosby
|_| \_|__/\__| (rwcr...@acsu.buffalo.edu | v070...@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu)

Mr. Noise

Feb 1, 1995, 2:19:04 AM2/1/95

Carl Hunter <bd...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote:
> I was wondering if anybody has any information on the Crash Test
>Dummies. Are they a good band for Christians or not. What do you think
>the song "God Shuffled His Feet" really means. Is it putting down God?
> I heard on the radio that they said that the reason they are doing
>so well is because they had made a pack with the devil. Can anyone
>confirm this?

Did you forget to log out or something, Carl? Obviously someone came
along an dposted this under your name, since I know you wouldn't
believe such nonsense...right?

Personally, I like CTD very much. I don't know if they are Christians
or not, but I enjoy their music and don't fnd the lyrics particularly
offensive--I find them clever, in fact.

--
Mr. Noise <mrn...@econs.umass.edu> Sea of Noise +1-203-886-1441
UMASS-Amherst 8^>= "Shop as usual & avoid panic buying."

Craig Burrell

Feb 1, 1995, 1:52:26 PM2/1/95
:
: oh, the joys of subtle sarcasm. no pact with the devil. although i would say t

: hat is shows severe limitations in Satan's power if he can't make a group anymo
: re popular than that. (they've only had one HIT single ya know) but i digress.

Ah, but they have had more than one hit single up here in Canada.
Their previous album called...well, I don't remember what it's called,
but it had a really good song on it called 'Superman's Song' which was
their first big hit up here. Kind of a clever ballad, and really the
only song they've done that I enjoy.

"Superman never made any money
Saving the world from Solomon Grundy
And sometimes I despair the world will never see another man
Like him"

Yeah, ok, whatever.

Craig Burrell
University of Alberta

Tony Bowden

Feb 1, 1995, 3:37:50 PM2/1/95
Carl Hunter (bd...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:
> I heard on the radio that they said that the reason they are doing
>so well is because they had made a pack with the devil. Can anyone
>confirm this?

Hmm .... interesting idea ... a pack with the devil ... hmmmm ...

What sort of pack does the devil take anyway?

Like, could I offer him my lunch pack and become really famous?
Or would it have to be a full backpack with all my Christian CDs in it ...?

Sounds like an interesting concept to me!

Seriously though .... WISE UP!

Tony
Tony Bowden, Belfast, N Ireland \ you never said it was a bed of roses
t.bo...@qub.ac.uk \ but you never said it was a bed of nails
aj...@yfn.ysu.edu \ you never told me 'bout the rubber hoses
http://boris.qub.ac.uk/tony/home.html \ or how unsteady were the justice scales
His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools - the Cynics, the Stoics
and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase -
"You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing
you can do about it, so let's have a drink." (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Eric Alton

Feb 1, 1995, 5:36:19 PM2/1/95
The crash test dummies are a great band.
They ask honest questions and they tell difficult truths.
I don't think that it is necessary that one claim salvation in order to
be listened to by christians.

Listen to what you like,
and form your own opinions on what you hear.

:)

Jennifer R Common

Feb 1, 1995, 5:41:57 PM2/1/95

> I was wondering if anybody has any information on the Crash Test
> Dummies. Are they a good band for Christians or not. What do you think
> the song "God Shuffled His Feet" really means. Is it putting down God?

I havn't heard "God Shuffled His Feet", so I couldn't tell you
much. What I can say though, is that they sing "Peter Pumpkinhead" on
the Dumb and Dumber soundtrack (GOOD CD!!--believe it man!). Anyways,
this is the only song that I have heard, and the lyrics are somewhat odd,
but not what I'd call "objectionable". I really like their sound, and if
"Peter Pumpkinhead" is a representitive of their style, I'm getting their
own CD!!! (Maybe if it's true that the lead singer is a graduate of
Philosophy [did I get that right?], then I can mayber see why their
lyrics are somewhat out there...)

> I heard on the radio that they said that the reason they are doing
> so well is because they had made a pack with the devil. Can anyone
> confirm this?

OH.... yeah.... I'm sure it's true. I didn't hear any such thing, but
it's a well known fact that all good music comes from Lucifer, right?
(TOTALLY joking)

JR Common
SPU Class of 1997
solo member of unestablished club: Connoisseurs of Eric Champion euphony

"It's not like I have some romantic notion about how
I'm suffering because my parents....people for that matter don't understand
me. I mean, so what. Who understands anybody, really, who wants to? It's
hard enough trying to understand yourself you know."

-Winona Ryder in _Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael_

David E. Amavisca

Feb 1, 1995, 5:51:16 PM2/1/95
In article <3gme1n$i...@bud.peinet.pe.ca>, bgar...@bud.peinet.pe.ca (Bruce
Garrity) wrote:

"The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" is a cover of an XTC song. XTC also
recorded one of the few songs I refuse to listen to: "Dear God", which is
an outright rejection of God.

--
Cogito, ergo Chico and Zeppo... ;)
D A V I D E. A M A V I S C A

OogleMire I-Doo

Feb 2, 1995, 1:50:37 PM2/2/95
In article <3gol9a$17...@quartz.ucs.ualberta.ca> cbur...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
(Craig Burrell) writes:
:-)NELE...@ulkyvm.louisville.edu wrote:
:-): In article <D39pu...@freenet.carleton.ca>
:-): bd...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Carl Hunter) writes:
:-):
:-): oh, the joys of subtle sarcasm. no pact with the devil. although i would
say t
:-): hat is shows severe limitations in Satan's power if he can't make a group
anymo
:-): re popular than that. (they've only had one HIT single ya know) but i
digress.
:-)
:-) Ah, but they have had more than one hit single up here in Canada.
:-)Their previous album called...well, I don't remember what it's called,
:-)but it had a really good song on it called 'Superman's Song' which was
:-)their first big hit up here. Kind of a clever ballad, and really the
:-)only song they've done that I enjoy.
:-)
:-)"Superman never made any money
:-) Saving the world from Solomon Grundy
:-) And sometimes I despair the world will never see another man
:-) Like him"
:-)
:-)Yeah, ok, whatever.

I don't think it matters which Crash Test Dummies song, or which Crash
Test Dummies CD, or wheather your in America or Canada. (IMHO) there is only
one (O-N-E) Crash Test Dummies Song... called "...", and they just put
different lyrics to it, then sell it on different tapes rearranged a little.

OogleMire doesn't like CTD's

Todd S. Andrews

Feb 2, 1995, 5:02:59 PM2/2/95
In article <3gmfls$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> alan...@aol.com (AlanD Muse) writes:
>> I was wondering if anybody has any information on the Crash Test
>>Dummies. Are they a good band for Christians or not. What do you think
>>the song "God Shuffled His Feet" really means. Is it putting down God?

from my experience they are good for Christians
(i haven't heard their 1st album "the ghosts that haunt me" i think)
they have a good message, and no dirty words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOO HOO
although one of them sounds like it it's not

*poof*
it is i tod sent here to interpret CTD for You all =)

>there are some lyrics which aren't
>real...er, edifying.

could You explain this please?
(feel free to call me dense, i honestly don't know what You mean by it)

>The title song talks about the first people shooting
>the breeze with God in Eden and asking him questions like, "Do you have to
>get your hair cut in Heaven?" God responds with a parable that makes
>absolutely no sense and his listeners say so. God never really responds,
>just shuffles his feet.

the parable God tells is about a boy who's hair turns blue
the boy is happy about it untill he thinks about what others will say
"will they laugh?"
the only problem with this boy's hair is what the others would think of
his appearance
this is what the people talking with God direct their questions at
"If you lose a finger in this life, will it be waiting up in heaven with
your wife?"
God is telling them not to be concerned with the things of this world.
the parable isn't meaningless....just deep, and yes i've started to wear
my tape of them out

>In the big hit single, "Mmm,mmm", one of the
>verses refers to a boy whose family attends a church where "they shook and
>lurched all over the church floor".

the first two stories in this song are about a boy who's hair turns white
and a girl with "birthmarks all over her body"....physical "problems" (for
lack of a better word)

"but both girl and boy were glad, for one kid had it worse than that"

the last story is about a kid whose parents force him to church
"and when they went to their church, they shook, and lurched all over the
church floor. They couldn't quite explain it they'd allways just gone there"
this is a problem with a thought process rather than an appearance...they
are saying the mind is more important than appearances.

>Then of course, there's the song about
>two knights who want to take their damsels out to the woods together so
>they can take turns watching.

at this point i haven't gone deep into the interpretation of this one
just a parable about...take the risks and get the punnishment....unless
the potions they are given "to make them see, dreams and lights"
are a parallel to drugs...very possible

>None of this is really presented in shocking
>terms and is quite nice (if perhaps a little redundant) musically, but I
>wouldn't mistake them for the new secular Christian band of the 90's.

hardly a rendundant as some of what's out there
intellectualy stimulating, if You take the time =)

>Alan D.

Peace, Love, and Joy,
tod
i try to be a Christian, hippie, pacifist, conservationalist who is
pro-life and anti-death penalty...(can i do that?...sure)
"He had a gold ball in his hand and a smile on his face"
-me, i said that
(sounds better in context)

Jennifer R Common

Feb 2, 1995, 8:14:13 PM2/2/95
On 31 Jan 1995, Bruce Garrity wrote:

> The pact with the devil stuff is garbage.
> BUT, the lyrics in their new song "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkin Head" is a
> abstract representation of Jesus. It tells of a guy who was in the right
> place at the right time, got arrested and became a public hero and was
> killed, not good news. This is definitly bad news.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't Christ's death good news?
"Without your love, they're be no healing, there'd be no blood rainin'
down to cover me..." -Susan Ashton I don't know about place and time
thing, but Jesus is *my* hero, I guess maybe I'm not reading enough into
the song or the above message. (?)

Tom Roberton

Feb 2, 1995, 10:39:02 PM2/2/95

For me the CTD's most recent album God Shuffled His Feet is musically
refreshing with light guitars and great vocals. I think that that is
enough to warrant buying the album. However if you are interested in the
lyrical history of some of the songs I'll tell you what I know....

Much of the album runs along the theme of Modernism, a school of philosophy
that emerged out of the late 19th century. It surrounded the quest for
transcedence,ie. the search for spiritual meaning, a reaction to the fact that
science replaced God in western civilisation. Some of the songs stem
from poetry by T.S.Elliot (especially Afternoons and Coffee Spoons), who
was involved in the Modernist movement.
The lyrics,to me, do not seem to carry a Christian message but question
many beliefs from, science to Christianity. Just because they aren't
Christian I wouldn't write them off though. I personally think that by
listening to what others have to say we can begin to understand where
others are coming from. And by learning where others are coming from we
can help show them what they are missing!!!

Cheers,
Tom.

Jennifer R Common

Feb 5, 1995, 3:14:12 PM2/5/95

> In article <3gme1n$i...@bud.peinet.pe.ca>, bgar...@bud.peinet.pe.ca (Bruce
> Garrity) wrote:
>
> > The pact with the devil stuff is garbage.
> > BUT, the lyrics in their new song "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkin Head" is a
> > abstract representation of Jesus. It tells of a guy who was in the right
> > place at the right time, got arrested and became a public hero and was
> > killed, not good news. This is definitly bad news.
> > I havn't figured out the song "God Shuffled His Feet", and none
> > of the other songs are "bad", but Pete Pumpkin is definitly bad news.

I guess I still don't understand the definite "bad news". the
truth is, i can't understand half the lyrics (they're too slurred
together), so maybe I'm missing something. Like I said before, it was a
rather "heoic" thing for Christ to die "nailed to a chunk of wood" (CTD),
but since I havn't seen the video, and don't fully understand the
lyrics, i could be missing a big part of the song....Bruce are you out
there? Help me out man.

JR Common
SPU Class of 1997

member of unestablished club: Connoisseurs of Eric Champion euphony

Soldiers, fight harder, scream louder and dance longer.
Start the party, we've already won.
-Eric Champion

Disco-Dan Ultra Man

Feb 6, 1995, 6:35:26 PM2/6/95
I'm not Bruce but I'm his friend. You definately have to get a look at
the lyrics and see for yourself. And also the video. It explains alot
about the song that lyrics could never tell.

SCOTT MCCLARE

Feb 6, 1995, 10:17:38 PM2/6/95
In article <3gmd6p$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> bobb...@aol.com (BobBurman) writes:

> I was wondering if anybody has any information on the Crash Test
>>Dummies. Are they a good band for Christians or not. What do you think
>>the song "God Shuffled His Feet" really means. Is it putting down God?

> I heard on the radio that they said that the reason they are doing
>>so well is because they had made a pack with the devil. Can anyone
>>confirm this?

>Yeah, I was just talking to the devil the other day, and he mentioned a

>pact that they had made. No mention of a pack, though.

Hey, didn't the Beatles make a pack with the devil? I thought Elvis
did too. Sounds like Satan's a two- or three-pack-a-day guy . . .

SCOTT MCCLARE
280 Phillip St., #A4-221
Waterloo, ON
under construction

Bill E. Kinnon

Feb 7, 1995, 8:38:08 PM2/7/95
Brad Roberts, the lead singer of the Dummies is a bit of an iconclast - I
wouldn't put it past him to make the aforementioned statement loosely
represented in "I heard on the radio that they said that the reason they are
doing so well is because they had made a pack with the devil." But since he
doesn't believe in the supernatural, I would suggest you ignore the comment.
The Dummies are definitely not Christians but neither are they Satan
worshippers. As to Peter Pumpkinhead, its a cover tune. Check out the video -
it's a satire - meant to support Dumb and Dumber - a movie that does not need
support - its terrible (a quote from my son).

Bill Kinnon

Jeroen J-W Tiggelman

Feb 7, 1995, 8:45:29 AM2/7/95
In article <3h6bnu$b...@bud.peinet.pe.ca>,

Really? Often videos have _nothing_ to do with the intention of the
lyricists. :) Just an observation..

--
--Jeroen------------------------------------------------------
Tigg...@StPC.WI.LeidenUniv.NL JTig...@WI.LeidenUniv.NL

John Varlow

Feb 9, 1995, 9:28:52 AM2/9/95
In article <3gncl8...@titan.oit.umass.edu> mrn...@titan.oit.umass.edu (Mr. Noise) writes:
>> I was wondering if anybody has any information on the Crash Test
>>Dummies. Are they a good band for Christians or not. What do you think
>>the song "God Shuffled His Feet" really means. Is it putting down God?
>> I heard on the radio that they said that the reason they are doing
>>so well is because they had made a pack with the devil. Can anyone
>>confirm this?

>Did you forget to log out or something, Carl? Obviously someone came
>along an dposted this under your name, since I know you wouldn't
>believe such nonsense...right?

>Personally, I like CTD very much. I don't know if they are Christians
>or not, but I enjoy their music and don't fnd the lyrics particularly
>offensive--I find them clever, in fact.

Okay to put an end to all the rumour - yes CTD are a satanic band. The
reasons for this are many

1. CTD stands for contact the devil!
2. MMMM,MMMM,MMMM backwards is itself - the most difficult task in
backtracking
3. The singers vocal style sounds like he is singing backwards
4. The pope doesn't listen to them (not sure about the truth of this one
actually)
5. God shuffled his feet - speaks for itself
6. Shuffling is linked with gambling - and anti christian practice
7. They have made it big
8. They are not on a Christial label
9. They probably listen to secular 'music'
10. The drummer owns a Wagner cd (this is only rumour)
11. None of them can play their instruments yet their music sounds good (this
is always a dead give away)

These are just a few of the many reasons why you should burn your cds - in
fact you should burn anybody who listens to their cd's

Nuff said

I. Rony
(mail I.R...@sar.casm.net)

Maple Syrup

May 11, 2023, 8:46:26 PM5/11/23
<blows off dust>

As so many of you seem confused about God shuffled his Feet, I thought I'd offer up my own musings on the song, and i guess as the album on the whole.

The whole thing is an anecdote style story, where after god made everything, and was up to his day of rest, he decided to chill out with his creations and have a picnic.
The people asked him questions about mundane things that the great philosophers may or may not have pondered, and god's response was a parable as the bible is so fond of making.

Once there was a boy, who woke up with blue hair. < this is of course, an impossible feat, but if it had happened then it would be proof he had blue hair>
To him, it was a joy, until he ran out, into warm air. < he ran, as in rushed to tell others about his seemingly impossible discovery, and then gave pause for thought >
He though of how, his friends would come to see, would they laugh or had he got some strange disease < even though he could show everyone, he wouldnt be able to explain why it was blue, or prove the source of his blue hair...>

I believe it was god trying to tell their children that should they answer these questions, mundane or profound, the knowledge of the answers would be pointless and furthermore the source of these answers would have no explanation other than the people's say so, and therefore god would be harming them by giving them "divine knowledge" that could be deemed by the great unwashed as heresay or just straight made up. Once could say that pandora's box sits in the same situation. Knowing what you shouldnt know with no way to prove how you came upon these answers (depending obviously on if its those 11 herbs and spices, or something that actually matters, like the white house alarm code) can have dire consequences and persecution.

And yeah, I see this is a response to a very dusty question, but i love the band (mostly the first album) and had just checked online to see if they were actually a christian group or something due to the amount of references to god.

disclaimer : not a member of any religion, I've yet to find any evidence of us being stardust that combs its hair... but I do like to wonder abut things.

p.s. about the rest of the album, he's mostly posing questions. One could argue both ways with the band, claiming that god had a picnic, and then another song claiming the evil lives here, another talking about witches doing nasty things to deserving thirsty players (knights and maidens). To be honest, I havent looked it up, but to me it almost sounds like they were the musings of a man who has ended up in hospital due to his smoking and is trying to pass on his knowledge in that format that is best to convey information through the ages, the story.