Heard of Harry Gore?

William Constantine Tsimpris

Jan 28, 1995, 9:06:21 PM1/28/95
Just wondering here if anyone has heard of Harry Gore & the Measles.
Actually, the Measles (I would presume a collection of Richmond, Va
Christian musicians) don't do much. It's almost all Harry Gore. Which
gets me back to my original question.
I was kinda curious if anyone here on his newsgroup has heard of his
first (I believe) CD "Sublety Goes Out the Window." I think it was
originally just a local release (in fact, I think must of the proceeds go
to a charity), but I guess it leaked out across the country. A couple
weeks ago, a review of "Sublety" was even in the Chicago Tribune. Which
makes me think at least someone in this group has heard of it. Anyway,
the Trib article said something like if this Christian music, than maybe
it's worth listening to, then the reviewer compared it to Lenny Kravitz's
stuff. I'm not sure about that, but regardless, this CD is super and
really shows a great sense of humor. One of the songs "Prayin' for
Madonna" is just hilarious.
Well, I'm started to digress, but if you ever run across "Sublety Goes
Out the Window," give it a listen. Harry Gore works at a Christian
bookstore in Richmond (I've talked to him a few times, super guy, knows
everything about every type of music), and when I bought the CD from him,
he described it as "just good old rock'n'roll music." That it is.

--

God bless, "EVERY DAY I HAVE THE BLUES."

BASIL T --COUNT BASIE

NELE...@ulkyvm.louisville.edu

Jan 30, 1995, 5:43:56 PM1/30/95
In article <3get6t$8...@cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>
ba...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (William Constantine Tsimpris) writes:

any way we can get ahold of this album? norm

jkane

Jan 30, 1995, 7:28:42 PM1/30/95
In article <3get6t$8...@cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>, ba...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (William Constantine Tsimpris) says:

> Just wondering here if anyone has heard of Harry Gore & the Measles.
>Actually, the Measles (I would presume a collection of Richmond, Va
>Christian musicians) don't do much. It's almost all Harry Gore. Which

I know Harry fairly well, and I know two other members of the original
Measles, the bass player and drummer, who are now in another band that
is getting ready to release their first album. I don't have Harry's album
yet, so I don't know if Damon and Kevin are on it, but I kind of doubt it.

If I'm not mistaken though, isn't this album just Harry Gore? I was under
the impression that when Kevin & Damon left, the Measles became extinct.
If you wouldn't mind, check the credits and see who's listed as bass and
drums, and let me know if it's really "& the Measles"

>Out the Window," give it a listen. Harry Gore works at a Christian
>bookstore in Richmond (I've talked to him a few times, super guy, knows
>everything about every type of music), and when I bought the CD from him,

He works in Logo's bookstore in Richmond, and you aren't kidding about his
knowledge. Every time I go in there looking for an album, I know he'll
be able to find it, no matter what it is. The tapes and CD's in the store
are in no logical order, yet he can immediately pick out the exact album
that you're looking for. Great guy, and from the music I've heard of his,
a great musician.

As a sidenote, he re-wrote the lyrics to "Enter Sandman" by Metallica, and
he played it with the other band I mentioned, New Frontier, in concert
once. Let me tell you, they SMOKED!!!! Unfortunately, neither band will
ever record that one, for copyright reasons... :(

Anyway, just thought you'd like to hear that info

jeremy kane
jk...@vt.edu

William Constantine Tsimpris

Jan 31, 1995, 1:31:28 AM1/31/95
NELE...@ulkyvm.louisville.edu wrote:
: In article <3get6t$8...@cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>

: ba...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (William Constantine Tsimpris) writes:
:
: any way we can get ahold of this album? norm

Don't know exactly. I'm going home in Feb., and will DEFINITELY go
to Harry's bookstore (AWESOME MUSIC SELECTION!). Will ask him then, if
you'd like. Also, Phil Powell (the fellow on this newsgroup with the
SOAE metal mag) is in a Bible study with me and also knows Harry (small
world, huh?) He might know more. I'll be sure to ask him.

Throesline

Jan 31, 1995, 5:29:01 AM1/31/95
we love Harry Gore!

Throes

John Swick P040

Jan 31, 1995, 12:06:36 PM1/31/95

In article <3get6t$8...@cronkite.seas.gwu.edu>, ba...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (William Constantine Tsimpris) writes:
|> Just wondering here if anyone has heard of Harry Gore & the Measles.
|> Actually, the Measles (I would presume a collection of Richmond, Va
|> Christian musicians) don't do much. It's almost all Harry Gore. Which
|> gets me back to my original question.

Yes, they're fantastic. I highly, highly recommend this album. It's
living proof that good hard rock (call it "retro", 70's, blues influenced
rock, or whatever) can still be done well and not sound dated. I've met
Harry, he is wonderful human being and it comes across in the lyrics he
writes. On top of that, he *smokes* on the guitar.

I think Harry does a lot of the work on the album, but live the Measles
are great, too. When I saw them here in Cary, NC (at The Vertical),
the 3 Measles were pretty killer musicians in their own right. Harry
has gone through several rotations of Measles. In fact, the drummer
that night was playing with Harry for the first time and was added to
the band that very morning. He played on an incomplete, rickety old
drumset that we scrounged up just before the show, and he did very well.
He had listened to the songs on a tape on the drive from Richmond. It
was a very energetic show and they appeared to have a great time, despite
the fact that the crowd was light that night (if I only had a dollar for
every Christian that doesn't support live music in this area.....)

|> I was kinda curious if anyone here on his newsgroup has heard of his
|> first (I believe) CD "Sublety Goes Out the Window." I think it was
|> originally just a local release (in fact, I think must of the proceeds go
|> to a charity), but I guess it leaked out across the country. A couple
|> weeks ago, a review of "Sublety" was even in the Chicago Tribune. Which
|> makes me think at least someone in this group has heard of it. Anyway,
|> the Trib article said something like if this Christian music, than maybe
|> it's worth listening to, then the reviewer compared it to Lenny Kravitz's

The Lenny Kravitz comparison, if not close, is somewhere in the ballpark.
I think people make that comparison because they're two of the few people
in the world with the following similarities: they're both black singer/
songerwriter/smokin' guitar players who play a 70's style rock that
appeals mainly to white people (even though it has a blues/reggae base).

|> stuff. I'm not sure about that, but regardless, this CD is super and
|> really shows a great sense of humor. One of the songs "Prayin' for
|> Madonna" is just hilarious.
|> Well, I'm started to digress, but if you ever run across "Sublety Goes
|> Out the Window," give it a listen. Harry Gore works at a Christian
|> bookstore in Richmond (I've talked to him a few times, super guy, knows
|> everything about every type of music), and when I bought the CD from him,
|> he described it as "just good old rock'n'roll music." That it is.

---J. J.

== J. J. Swick (pronounced "Jay Jay", not "John"). BNR, Inc. ==
== The opinions expressed herein are not BNR's, unless for some ==
== strange reason people started calling me "BNR" instead of J. J. ==

William Constantine Tsimpris

Jan 31, 1995, 4:02:35 PM1/31/95
jkane (jk...@vt.edu) wrote:

: I know Harry fairly well, and I know two other members of the original

: Measles, the bass player and drummer, who are now in another band that
: is getting ready to release their first album. I don't have Harry's album
: yet, so I don't know if Damon and Kevin are on it, but I kind of doubt it.

: If I'm not mistaken though, isn't this album just Harry Gore? I was under
: the impression that when Kevin & Damon left, the Measles became extinct.
: If you wouldn't mind, check the credits and see who's listed as bass and
: drums, and let me know if it's really "& the Measles"

You're pretty much right. The credits do say Harry performs all
guitars, bass, prcussion, lead and background vocals, and while there are
extra musicians ("Various strains of the Measles") no one named Kevin or
Damon is mentioned.

: He works in Logo's bookstore in Richmond, and you aren't kidding about his

: knowledge. Every time I go in there looking for an album, I know he'll
: be able to find it, no matter what it is. The tapes and CD's in the store
: are in no logical order, yet he can immediately pick out the exact album
: that you're looking for. Great guy, and from the music I've heard of his,
: a great musician.

: As a sidenote, he re-wrote the lyrics to "Enter Sandman" by Metallica, and
: he played it with the other band I mentioned, New Frontier, in concert
: once. Let me tell you, they SMOKED!!!! Unfortunately, neither band will
: ever record that one, for copyright reasons... :(

Now, that is something that I did not know. Phil Powell says he
played with Mortal when Mortal came to Richmond a coupla months ago.
Great musician, really great guy.

: Anyway, just thought you'd like to hear that info

Thanks a bunch. Harry's a real interested guy, and you're right, he
knows everything about Christian music. Logos' business is much, much
greater as a result of him. It's not only a great place to buy Christian
music, but Harry's so nice he'll talk to you for an hour.

: jeremy kane
: jk...@vt.edu

Geo316

Jan 31, 1995, 8:22:01 PM1/31/95
Hey!!!

I met Harry two years ago while touring!! I ministered at his church and
got to know him a little bit. He gave me an old demo of the measles - this
was before the CD was finished!! I saw him last during the summer while
doing another tour in his area. I stopped in at the bookstore and DID chat
about an hour!! It was great running across his name here!

If anyone has his personal address or the bookstore address you should
send him this thread!! He'll be blessed!!

George Hillman
_______________________________
"It never hurts to help..." Eek the Cat
_______________________________

jkane

Jan 31, 1995, 10:57:43 PM1/31/95
In article <3gmnnp$b...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, geo...@aol.com (Geo316) says:

>If anyone has his personal address or the bookstore address you should
>send him this thread!! He'll be blessed!!

George:

I've already printed all of the postongs, with that intention exactly.
I can't wait to see and hear his response!

Dumb question, but what band are you in? I hope it isn't some big name
band that I'll feel really dumb for not knowing already... :)

jeremy kane
jk...@vt.edu

gust...@urvax.urich.edu

Jan 31, 1995, 11:31:22 PM1/31/95
Harry Gore goes to my church!!! He is a great guy and he can truly
play the guitar. He opened for Mortal in Richmond, VA in Dec. He
has the gift. He plays everything from blues to hard schtook. You
should check out his cd's.

The Viking
Brock G.
Gust...@urvax.urich.edu
The University of Richmond's premiere student. HA!

MarkRTT1

Feb 6, 1995, 5:07:49 AM2/6/95
If any of you pals of Harry Gore bump into him, tell him Mark from This
Train says hello. I only get to see him at C-Stone...

True Tunes Is now Carrying his new CD, also.

-Mark

C Douglas Edwards

Oct 25, 2020, 12:00:34 PM10/25/20
Harry is a true RVA icon. Haven't seen him in a while, but i don't walk the streets of downtown etc. anymore. I live in modern day suburbia. I'm sure our paths will cross at some point. I worked with a guy a few years ago who plays bass, and would sometimes play with harry at open mic night somewhere down in chesterfield. Guy's name was mitch...long bearded last i saw of him. He was with me at Amazon but then moved to Facebook.

C Douglas Edwards

Oct 25, 2020, 12:02:50 PM10/25/20
new frontier??? wasn't this rick henretty's band? or maybe he had something familiar in name.