Is there any "progressive" Christian music?

Robert Paul Martino Jr

Nov 2, 1992, 9:58:39 AM11/2/92
This is something that I've been trying to find out for a while. I
asked this question a year ago on this net and got recommendations for
"alternative" music (thanks you everyone!) which apparently many people
think is synonymous with "progressive". By progressive I mean groups
like Marillion, early Genesis, IQ, Jethro Tull, ELP, etc. which
seems to be a rather unique taste in music, I personally know few
people who listen to the same type of music I do. I don't mean bands
that are industrial/alternative like Nine Inch Nails, Smiths, etc.
which I understand there are Christian groups similar to like
Dietophobia, Mortal, etc. which are OK but not really my thing.

So is there anyone who knows what style of music I'm talking about?
alt.music.progressive is the newsgroup I read all the time. Any
recommendations would be appreciated. I guess I could define
progressive music as having a high degree of artistry, technical
competence in playing instruments or singing, a lot of classical
or jazz influence with songs often being long, complex pieces
with time and tempo changes. Often the musicians have some degree
of advanced music education so you hear neat things in terms of
music theory...

Well, I'll stop typing now....Thanks in advance!

In Christ,
Rob

--
Rob Martino | (clever or particularly funny
mar...@wpi.wpi.edu | philosophical quote here)

andrew.j.whitman

Nov 2, 1992, 11:19:45 AM11/2/92
In article <1d3fmv...@bigboote.WPI.EDU> mar...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Robert Paul Martino Jr) writes:

>So is there anyone who knows what style of music I'm talking about?
>alt.music.progressive is the newsgroup I read all the time. Any
>recommendations would be appreciated. I guess I could define
>progressive music as having a high degree of artistry, technical
>competence in playing instruments or singing, a lot of classical
>or jazz influence with songs often being long, complex pieces
>with time and tempo changes. Often the musicians have some degree
>of advanced music education so you hear neat things in terms of
>music theory...

Well, if Kansas fits into the category, then Kerry Livgren's music
(both solo and with his band AD) might be to your liking. Kerry was
the keyboardist for Kansas and wrote such well known songs as
"Carry On My Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind." His Christian
material is musically similar to Kansas.

Arkangel's recently re-released CD "The Warrior" definitely fits the
bill. And it's a great album.

Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman, former mainstays of Yes, have both
released solo albums that retain the old sound while exploring
Christian themes (Anderson's albums are a bit ambiguous; Wakeman's
have more obvious Christian imagery).

And check out Talk Talk's "Spirit of Eden" and "Laughing Stock."
There are no frenetic keyboard solos or blazing guitars, but
musically it's very similar to some of the moody early '70s
progressive rock made by English bands such as Soft Machine, Happy
the Man, and Camel. And great, spiritually uplifting lyrics, too.

>Well, I'll stop typing now....Thanks in advance!

No problem. I hope you find something there to your liking.

>In Christ,
>Rob
>
>--
>Rob Martino | (clever or particularly funny
>mar...@wpi.wpi.edu | philosophical quote here)

Andy Whitman
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
att!cblpn!ajw or
a...@cblpn.att.com

Claude W. Anderson

Nov 2, 1992, 1:15:49 PM11/2/92
Robert Paul Martino Jr writes

> This is something that I've been trying to find out for a while. I
> asked this question a year ago on this net and got recommendations for
> "alternative" music (thanks you everyone!) which apparently many people
> think is synonymous with "progressive". By progressive I mean groups
> like Marillion, early Genesis, IQ, Jethro Tull, ELP, etc. which
> seems to be a rather unique taste in music, I personally know few
> people who listen to the same type of music I do. I don't mean bands
> that are industrial/alternative like Nine Inch Nails, Smiths, etc.
> which I understand there are Christian groups similar to like
> Dietophobia, Mortal, etc. which are OK but not really my thing.

I would suggest checking out the double CD that contains Michael Omartian's
frist two solo releases - "White Horse" (1974) and "Adam Again"(1976). A
few of the songs are duds, but many of them are intricately woven pieces on
which Michael's keyboards really shine. His 1991 release "The Race"
is a bit more pop-riented, but I still find it enjoyable, and his 1986
"Conversations" is a quieter, classically influenced instumental release
that shows off his keyboard virtuosity. His other albums (out of print as
far as I know) are fun to listen to, but not up to his usual standards.

> In Christ,
> Rob
>
> --
> Rob Martino | (clever or particularly funny
> mar...@wpi.wpi.edu | philosophical quote here)

--
Claude Anderson
ande...@cs.rose-hulman.edu

Paul Conditt

Nov 2, 1992, 5:48:39 PM11/2/92
In article <1992Nov2.1...@cbnews.cb.att.com> a...@cbnews.cb.att.com (andrew.j.whitman) writes:
>In article <1d3fmv...@bigboote.WPI.EDU> mar...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Robert Paul Martino Jr) writes:
>
>>So is there anyone who knows what style of music I'm talking about?
>>alt.music.progressive is the newsgroup I read all the time. Any
>>recommendations would be appreciated. I guess I could define
>>progressive music as having a high degree of artistry, technical
>>competence in playing instruments or singing, a lot of classical
>>or jazz influence with songs often being long, complex pieces
>>with time and tempo changes. Often the musicians have some degree
>>of advanced music education so you hear neat things in terms of
>>music theory...

In the jazzy category, I'd highly recommend Take 6. Their harmonies are
so tight, it hurts, and these are jazz harmonies, not your standard SATB.
Unfortunately for me, I saw them live before I ever heard more than one of
their songs on CD. They are about 100 times better live than recorded, I
guess because you don't get that "edge" on a recording. Anyway, they have
very interesting harmonies along with some super arrangements. check
them out.

Paul Conditt
Austin, Tx

cE!

Nov 2, 1992, 4:45:55 PM11/2/92
mar...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Robert Paul Martino Jr) writes:

>... By progressive I mean groups

>like Marillion, early Genesis, IQ, Jethro Tull, ELP, etc. which
>seems to be a rather unique taste in music, I personally know few

>people who listen to the same type of music I do. ...

Oh, wow. PROGRESSIVE ROCK! I forgot all about this. Almost.

>So is there anyone who knows what style of music I'm talking about?

Yeah, I do. I confess. I used to be really into that stuff.

First of all, would recommend a band local to Champaign/Urbana, Illinois.
Their name is Animator, and they specialize in the genre of music you're
talking about. At their live shows they've covered such bands as: Rush, Yes,
Genesis, Gentle Giant, Queensryche, Kansas, Boston, King's X, Peter Gabriel,
Jethro Tull, Kate Bush(!)... Their original stuff is great. Trust me.
They have an independent CD out which I can obtain for you. Email me for more
info on this.

Some of my other friends enjoy:
Mastedon: _Lofcaudio_
Something by a band called A.D. (I think this band has somebody from
Kansas in it)
globalWAVEsystem (Just kidding; that's my band, and it's industrial.)

Hope this helps.

christian E!

mark.d.wuest

Nov 2, 1992, 3:37:10 PM11/2/92

>This is something that I've been trying to find out for a while. I
>asked this question a year ago on this net and got recommendations for
>"alternative" music (thanks you everyone!) which apparently many people
>think is synonymous with "progressive". By progressive I mean groups
>like Marillion, early Genesis, IQ, Jethro Tull, ELP, etc. which
>seems to be a rather unique taste in music, I personally know few
>people who listen to the same type of music I do.

You might look for stuff by Kerry Livgren (was in Kansas back when
they were progressive) or his sometime group "A.D.".

A couple of Michael W. Smith's ditty's on older albums qualify
(surprise!).

My wife and I were in the Pocono's Saturday and drove by the Ceasar's
Palace resort there. I couldn't get "Yours Is No Disgrace" out of my
head after that!

Mark
--
Mark Wuest | *MY* opinions, not AT&T's!!
mark....@att.com |

Dick Young

Nov 3, 1992, 2:09:50 PM11/3/92
Hello to you, Rob and, to all those who have also responded: I AM THRILLED to
read that a love for what you call "progressive rock", and I have always called
"art rock", is indeed alive and well in today's world! (Esp. among believers.)

I am also an "old diehard fan" of Kansas, Yes, ELP, (et al), and have always
appreciated the presence of technical virtuosity of the type prevalent in
those groups. Unfortunately, since around 1978 or so, it seems like every rock
critic has gone out of their way to label any group with such skills:
Pretentious
Flatulent (??)
Dinosaurs, or a combination of these epithets.

(I realize there is a place for all opinions, but it always seemed to me that
"those who can play" were being ridiculed by "those who could not".)

I wholeheartedly agree with all the folks who have recommended Kerry Livgren's
stuff. In addition, I know there was (is?) a band called "The Awakening" which
had several albums (CDs?) out, and who were reviewed by the CCM press as being
akin in sound to some of the art-rock groups we know. In fact, on their "Into
Thy Hands" album, they covered "Onward" by Yes (from Tormato).

Being from the Champaign, Illinois area, I am DEFINITELY going to have to check
out the group Animator, who another poster referred to, some time when I'm down
"visitin' the folks".

Dick Young
Motorola
Arlington Heights, IL

Stephen Matheson

Nov 4, 1992, 2:43:26 PM11/4/92
From article <1992Nov4.1...@cbnews.cb.att.com>, by a...@cbnews.cb.att.com (andrew.j.whitman):

[deletia]

> And just to tie this in with the charter of this newsgroup, can
> anyone recommend Christian musicians (musicians?) who ascribe
> to the punk aesthetic? Something similar to the early U2
> or Alarm sound would be just fine. Anybody?

> Andy Whitman
> AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
> att!cblpn!ajw or
> a...@cblpn.att.com

Well, I must warn our readers that I know just enough about music to
be dangerous; I'm afraid that "punk aesthetic", "progressive" and
"alternative" are terms with which I have marginal familiarity. I am
a fan of rock, but lean decidedly away from "heavy metal" and "pop"
(two terms which I think I do understand).

My favorite Christian act is Steve Taylor. His earliest album,
"I Want to be a Clone" was, I'm told, "new wave". Subsequent albums
("Meltdown", "On the Fritz" and "I Predict 1990") varied, in my opinion,
significantly. Common themes include satirical humor and general
lyrical maturity. Musically, I'm severely limited in my ability to
classify music, but will estimate Taylor to lie in the alternative/
new wave region. I hope this helps...

For a first exposure, I recommend a listen to "Svengali" and "Jim
Morrison's Grave" on the "I Predict 1990" album, which IMHO is by
far his best, musically and lyrically. "Drive, He Said" on the
"On the Fritz" album is fascinating. For what it's worth, my wife
cares little for the more biting satire of many of Taylor's tunes,
but she loves more "uplifting" tunes like "Hero" on the "Meltdown" LP
and "A Principled Man" on "I Predict 1990". Also, look for Papa
John Creach playing the violin at the end of "Since I Gave Up
Hope I Feel a Lot Better" on "I Predict 1990". The title tune of
"I Want to be a Clone" (mini-LP) is a *classic*.

I don't know if this is helpful; perhaps everyone already knows of
Steve Taylor... I'd love to hear comments on his music, especially
re his "genre". I think I read about his stated musical influences,
but I don't recall... maybe The Clash was one....?

--

Steve Matheson Program in Neuroscience University of Arizona
s...@neurobio.arizona.edu

Virtual Benedicta

Nov 4, 1992, 2:49:49 PM11/4/92
In case you hadn't heard Kerry Livgren from kansas is a christian! and does
make music. Also John and Dino Elephante from kansas are also christians
and own pakaderm records besides playing music.

U2 - alarm

Well it is really hard to compair anything with either of these bands but...

Alter Boys
Children of the Consuming Fire
Violet Burning
da (Kalhoun)
77's
the choir (probably the least like them)

These are probably the best or atleast the ones I can think of... Some of them
might not sound a whole lot like u2 or the alarm, but they are still worth
listening

chip fay

Chip Fay In a dream, in a vision of the
cwf5...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu ** night, when deep sleep falls on men
****** as they slumber in their beds, he
****** may speak in their ears and terrify
** them with warnings, to turn man
** from wrongdoing and keep him from
pride. Job 33:15-17

Beaker

Nov 4, 1992, 5:16:27 PM11/4/92
cwf5...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Virtual Benedicta) writes:
>Alter Boys
>Children of the Consuming Fire
>Violet Burning
>da (Kalhoun)
>77's
>the choir (probably the least like them)
This is alternative stuff. Not progressive.

Mike Krupicka
bea...@uiuc.edu
As a dog returns to his vomit, so does a fool to his folly. -- Solomon

Geoff Lloyd Burian

Nov 5, 1992, 12:51:00 AM11/5/92
In article <1992Nov4.1...@organpipe.uug.arizona.edu> s...@manduca.neurobio.arizona.edu (Stephen Matheson) writes:

[..discussion of Steve Taylor deleted..]

>For a first exposure, I recommend a listen to "Svengali" and "Jim
>Morrison's Grave" on the "I Predict 1990" album, which IMHO is by
>far his best, musically and lyrically. "Drive, He Said" on the
>"On the Fritz" album is fascinating. For what it's worth, my wife

I would also add that (IMHO) Meltdown is a *classic* album, even if one can't
easily classify it, or anything else by Steve Taylor for that matter.
The whole concept of "classification" is often an over-simplification when it
comes to music. Listen to it and if you like it, then it is good.

As for Steve Taylor, my personal favourite is "Jenny" (off Meltdown); it's
a sad song but flows very well. "Over My Dead Body" (is that the title,
or just the chorus(?)-- ok so I haven't listened to it for a while) is
a powerful song with a good story behind it.

Geoff

Geoff Burian Computer Science Student
n3x...@rick.cs.ubc.ca The University of British Columbia
Vancouver, Canada

andrew.j.whitman

Nov 4, 1992, 10:29:20 AM11/4/92

>I am also an "old diehard fan" of Kansas, Yes, ELP, (et al), and have always
>appreciated the presence of technical virtuosity of the type prevalent in
>those groups. Unfortunately, since around 1978 or so, it seems like every rock
>critic has gone out of their way to label any group with such skills:
>Pretentious
>Flatulent (??)
>Dinosaurs, or a combination of these epithets.
>
>(I realize there is a place for all opinions, but it always seemed to me that
>"those who can play" were being ridiculed by "those who could not".)

I've been on both sides of this fence, so maybe I can comment here.

I too spent a lot of time listening to Kansas, Yes, ELP, early Genesis,
early Pink Floyd, and so on. I liked the music a lot at the time. I
still think it's okay, although I don't listen to it that much anymore.

The reason? I got hooked on a bunch of bands who couldn't play their
instruments - bands like The Sex Pistols and The Clash and The Ramones
and Pere Ubu and Television and Poly Styrene and X-Ray Specs. And
they made great music.

There's a view of rock 'n roll that says that the best rock is made
by people who just plug in their amps and wail, and who don't worry
about time signatures and profound lyrics and quotes from classical
music. These are the people who feel that "wop-bop-a-lu-bop-a-lop-
bam-boom" is the greatest rock 'n roll lyric ever (and they're
right ;-)), and that it isn't how many chords you know, it's how fast
you play them. I don't fully buy into that view, but I have to admit
that it has a certain appeal. I listen to different styles of music
for different reasons, and when I listen to rock 'n roll I don't
particularly want to be reminded of Bach and Beethoven. I want to pogo.

And that's probably what the rock critics are reacting to when they
dismiss Yes, ELP et. al. as a bunch of pretentious, flatulent
dinosaurs. Personally, I wouldn't go that far. For instance, I'm
not sure what flatulence has to do with it :-). Actually, I
think they're okay, and I really have no gripes with anyone who
finds pleasure in the music. I'm just noting that, for many
people, the ideas of rock music and instrumental virtuosity
and classical music influences are mutually exclusive terms.

And just to tie this in with the charter of this newsgroup, can
anyone recommend Christian musicians (musicians?) who ascribe
to the punk aesthetic? Something similar to the early U2
or Alarm sound would be just fine. Anybody?

>Dick Young
>Motorola
>Arlington Heights, IL

Andy Whitman

cE!

Nov 5, 1992, 9:28:01 AM11/5/92
mdk3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Beaker) writes:

Yeah Mike, but now I notice that he was responding to the note that mentioned
U2 and the Alarm. But yeah, these bands are not "progressive rock" as defined
in the original post. Personally, I think I'd call it "art rock" instead of
"progressive."

>>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning
>>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning
>>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning
>>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning
>>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning >>Violet Burning

IF YOU DON'T LISTEN TO THE VIOLET BURNING, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.
Well, everybody should listen to them, anyway.

cE!
chris...@uiuc.edu
As a fool returns to his folly, so does Mike go to bed too early.

Jeffrey P. Elbel

Nov 7, 1992, 12:49:28 AM11/7/92
Again I come rushing to defend the honor and prmote the music of
Animator!

Animator, a Christian Art-Rock band (ala Yes, Genesis, Rush, Kansas,
Pink Floyd) DOES have a new guitar player and an upcoming show. The band
will play Mabel's on Friday November 24, and...

I HOPE MY BAND WILL BE OPENING UP FOR THEM AGAIN!!!

This means that I get to play for a crowd that is up for a good time
and generally not drunk, and that I get to see Animator for free.

In case you don't know, they have CD's available.

Jeff Elbel
Farewell to Juliet - Modern Rock; not progressive, not that alternative,
but definitely not mainstream

Screamin' Diane d.

Nov 7, 1992, 3:30:08 PM11/7/92

>In article <1d3fmv...@bigboote.WPI.EDU>, mar...@wpi.WPI.EDU (Robert Paul Martino Jr) writes:
>>
>> This is something that I've been trying to find out for a while. I
>> asked this question a year ago on this net and got recommendations for
>> "alternative" music (thanks you everyone!) which apparently many people
>> think is synonymous with "progressive". By progressive I mean groups
>> like Marillion, early Genesis, IQ, Jethro Tull, ELP, etc. which
>>

>> So is there anyone who knows what style of music I'm talking about?

Yes, I think I do.

>> alt.music.progressive is the newsgroup I read all the time. Any
>> recommendations would be appreciated. I guess I could define
>> progressive music as having a high degree of artistry, technical
>> competence in playing instruments or singing, a lot of classical
>> or jazz influence with songs often being long, complex pieces
>> with time and tempo changes. Often the musicians have some degree
>> of advanced music education so you hear neat things in terms of
>> music theory...
>>

>> --
>> Rob Martino | (clever or particularly funny
>> mar...@wpi.wpi.edu | philosophical quote here)

My suggestion is the latest 77s album. Contrary to popular belief,
they are not alternative. Their musical background is really quite
complex. There are also some new band members since their Island
release in 87. You might think abouut wandering over to your
Christian demo rack and having a listen. The new bass player was
trained in jazz. His slapping and plucking bass lines give the new
sound a strong undergirding. (Phoney Eyes and Pray Naked)
The new guitarist was classically trained on trombone -- believe it
or not and learned to play guitar from Mike Roe himself. David
Leonhardt is very into Led Zeppelin -- the whole band is. This come
out very clearly on Woody. david is also into obscure Beach Boys (non pop)
Mike Roe has been into everything from Fats Domino to Love, Zep and U2.
His specialty is definitely country blues although the new album
doesn't really explore that realm. (Try Lost Dogs for that one)
The drummer, Aasron Smith has worked for the Temptations and Romeo
Void during "Girl in Trouble". (I'm sorry, that wasn't really alternative
either.) That was before he hooked up with the Seventy Sevens. There
is a variety of sounds on the new release. Check it out!

Uscream, Diane Diaz (I am also a DJ on my college radio station)

usc...@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu

Michael David Toth

Nov 7, 1992, 11:35:32 PM11/7/92
In article <1992Nov4.1...@cbnews.cb.att.com> a...@cbnews.cb.att.com (andrew.j.whitman) writes:
>In article <1992Nov3.1...@rtsg.mot.com> young...@macmail2.rtsg.mot.com (Dick Young) writes:
>
>I too spent a lot of time listening to Kansas, Yes, ELP, early Genesis,
>early Pink Floyd, and so on. I liked the music a lot at the time. I
>still think it's okay, although I don't listen to it that much anymore.

Some Christian "Art Rock" acts that I found impressive without being too
pretentious: Arkangel and Emerald Vein. Arkangel's classic _Warrior_
has just been reissued on CD, and Blonde Vinyl next month releases a
compilation of Emerald Vein's two LPs released on a Belgian label.
Also, a lot of Jeff Johnson and some Terry Taylor/DA would fall into
this catagory.

>The reason? I got hooked on a bunch of bands who couldn't play their
>instruments - bands like The Sex Pistols and The Clash and The Ramones
>and Pere Ubu and Television and Poly Styrene and X-Ray Specs. And
>they made great music.
>

>And just to tie this in with the charter of this newsgroup, can
>anyone recommend Christian musicians (musicians?) who ascribe
>to the punk aesthetic? Something similar to the early U2
>or Alarm sound would be just fine. Anybody?

Well, Andrew, I know you're already familiar with the Alarma!-era DA
and the pre-Romeo Unchained Tonio K. stuff like _Amerika_,
but here are a few other new-wave/punk raw aesthetic LPs that I all
like in some degree:

Vector - Mannequin Virtue (VERY much in the U2 Boy/October/War vein)
Breakfast With Amy - (all) (this band is currently probably closest to
the raw, dadaist spirit of punk, along with Fluffy)
Lifesavors - Us Kids (pre-Knott songwriting, very Ramones-ish)
Altar Boys - most early albums
Youth Choir - (VERY early Choir)
Undercover - first few albums.

A lot of the early '80s Orange County punk bands (Lifesavors, Altar
Boys, Youth Choir, Undercover, etc.) had a Christian lyrical base
proportional to their musical sophistication. Sometimes the simplistic
platitudes are annoying, but sometimes there's a real endearing honesty
and energy in stuff like Undercover's "God Rules:"

(Machine-gun drums and violent guitars with my lyric example presented
to simulate mood:)

There'sMoreToLifeThanGettingStonedandSittingInTheTwilightZoneandJesus'z-
ComeToTakeUsHomeSoDon'tBeLeftHereAllA-loooooooooone!!!!!!!
God Ruuules. (guitar riff) God Ruuuules. (guitar)
HeyGodRuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllezzzzz!

And some of the stuff (especially LS:Us Kids and Altar Boys) sounds SO
much like the Ramones that it almost gets annoying. But they're a lot
of fun when you're in the mood.

The following actually came out of the real punk movement in the UK in
the late-70's/early-'80s (as opposed to suburban Christians trying to
act like punks because "it will minister to the youth" but the youth can
smell 'em a mile away) Some of these albums are so-so, but all of them
have some MAGNIFICENT individual songs on them:

Ishmael United - If You Can't Shout Saved
Ishmael - Ishmael's Antique Collection (Sort of Monty Python meets The
Pogues Christian "pub" music)
Rev Counta & the Speedoze - Life Begins at 30
Bill Mason Band - No Sham!
Giantkiller - The Alternative
Andy McCarroll & Moral Support - Zionic Bonds

>>Dick Young
>>Motorola
>>Arlington Heights, IL
>
>Andy Whitman
>AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
>att!cblpn!ajw or
>a...@cblpn.att.com

Michael Toth
University of Cincinnati
mt...@headcheese.daa.uc.edu
tot...@ucunix.san.uc.edu

"...and we don't even do drugs! Just chocolate and Dr. Pepper..."
-Dave Koval of Breakfast With Amy

John Marvin

Nov 9, 1992, 1:23:36 AM11/9/92

:
: Ishmael United - If You Can't Shout Saved
: Ishmael - Ishmael's Antique Collection (Sort of Monty Python meets The
: Pogues Christian "pub" music)
: Rev Counta & the Speedoze - Life Begins at 30
: Bill Mason Band - No Sham!
: Giantkiller - The Alternative
: Andy McCarroll & Moral Support - Zionic Bonds

Wow, someone else knows about Andy McCarroll. Does anyone know if this album
is available on CD? I had a roommate who had the LP, and I played it fairly
often, but I was never able to locate a copy for myself (LP or CD). Since
I don't condone just taping it, I don't have a copy. I would probably even
be interested in buying the LP, if someone knows where I can order it.

John Marvin
j...@fc.hp.com

andrew.j.whitman

Nov 10, 1992, 11:34:35 AM11/10/92
In article <BxDrF...@ucunix.san.uc.edu> tot...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Michael David Toth) writes:
>In article <1992Nov4.1...@cbnews.cb.att.com> a...@cbnews.cb.att.com (andrew.j.whitman) writes:
>>In article <1992Nov3.1...@rtsg.mot.com> young...@macmail2.rtsg.mot.com (Dick Young) writes:
>>
>>I too spent a lot of time listening to Kansas, Yes, ELP, early Genesis,
>>early Pink Floyd, and so on. I liked the music a lot at the time. I
>>still think it's okay, although I don't listen to it that much anymore.
>>
>Some Christian "Art Rock" acts that I found impressive without being too
>pretentious: Arkangel and Emerald Vein. Arkangel's classic _Warrior_
>has just been reissued on CD, and Blonde Vinyl next month releases a
>compilation of Emerald Vein's two LPs released on a Belgian label.
>Also, a lot of Jeff Johnson and some Terry Taylor/DA would fall into
^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
>this catagory.

You think so? I always thought that one of the prerequisites of a
progressive rock band was that you had to leave any sense of humor
behind at the door. Terry seems too sarcastic/satiric/satanic
to fit the bill.

>>The reason? I got hooked on a bunch of bands who couldn't play their
>>instruments - bands like The Sex Pistols and The Clash and The Ramones
>>and Pere Ubu and Television and Poly Styrene and X-Ray Specs. And
>>they made great music.
>>
>>And just to tie this in with the charter of this newsgroup, can
>>anyone recommend Christian musicians (musicians?) who ascribe
>>to the punk aesthetic? Something similar to the early U2
>>or Alarm sound would be just fine. Anybody?
>>
>Well, Andrew, I know you're already familiar with the Alarma!-era DA
>and the pre-Romeo Unchained Tonio K. stuff like _Amerika_,
>but here are a few other new-wave/punk raw aesthetic LPs that I all
>like in some degree:
>
>Vector - Mannequin Virtue (VERY much in the U2 Boy/October/War vein)

Sounds good, and it's definitely the period of U2's existence that
interests me most. Thanks, I'll check it out.

>Breakfast With Amy - (all) (this band is currently probably closest to
> the raw, dadaist spirit of punk, along with Fluffy)

I've liked what I've heard, but I haven't heard that much. I need to
pay more attention to them.

>Lifesavors - Us Kids (pre-Knott songwriting, very Ramones-ish)

Now *this* sounds intriguing. Is this one readily available? Gabba
gabba hey for Jesus!

>Altar Boys - most early albums
>Youth Choir - (VERY early Choir)
>Undercover - first few albums.

I take it that their sound has changed, right? I wasn't too impressed
by the little bit that I heard of their latest album.

>A lot of the early '80s Orange County punk bands (Lifesavors, Altar
>Boys, Youth Choir, Undercover, etc.) had a Christian lyrical base
>proportional to their musical sophistication. Sometimes the simplistic
>platitudes are annoying, but sometimes there's a real endearing honesty
>and energy in stuff like Undercover's "God Rules:"
>
>(Machine-gun drums and violent guitars with my lyric example presented
>to simulate mood:)
>
>There'sMoreToLifeThanGettingStonedandSittingInTheTwilightZoneandJesus'z-
>ComeToTakeUsHomeSoDon'tBeLeftHereAllA-loooooooooone!!!!!!!
>God Ruuules. (guitar riff) God Ruuuules. (guitar)
>HeyGodRuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllezzzzz!

Just a minor typo. Should be "Rooooooooooooooooooollllllzzz!" It's
not quite "Crown Him with many crowns/The potentate of time," but it's
a good start.

>And some of the stuff (especially LS:Us Kids and Altar Boys) sounds SO
>much like the Ramones that it almost gets annoying. But they're a lot
>of fun when you're in the mood.
>
>The following actually came out of the real punk movement in the UK in
>the late-70's/early-'80s (as opposed to suburban Christians trying to
>act like punks because "it will minister to the youth" but the youth can
>smell 'em a mile away) Some of these albums are so-so, but all of them
>have some MAGNIFICENT individual songs on them:
>
>Ishmael United - If You Can't Shout Saved

I used to own this one and tossed it for some reason. Now I wish I
had it back. At the time it struck me as really raw and amateurish.
These days I'll take raw and amateurish over slick and soulless nine
times out of ten. Can this one still be found?

>Ishmael - Ishmael's Antique Collection (Sort of Monty Python meets The
> Pogues Christian "pub" music)

Related to Ishmael United, I assume? As an unabashed Monty Python,
Pogues, and Graham Parker/Dave Edmunds/Nick Lowe/Rockpile fan, how can
I not get suckered in? Okay, where do I find this one?

Thanks for the suggestions, Michael.

>Michael Toth
>University of Cincinnati
>mt...@headcheese.daa.uc.edu
>tot...@ucunix.san.uc.edu
>
>"...and we don't even do drugs! Just chocolate and Dr. Pepper..."
> -Dave Koval of Breakfast With Amy

Andy "Beelzebub" Whitman

AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus, Ohio
att!cblpn!ajw or
a...@cblpn.att.com

(rotating head and projectile vomit show at 11:00)

Janne Salmi

Nov 11, 1992, 4:02:52 AM11/11/92
In article <1992Nov10.1...@cbnews.cb.att.com> a...@cbnews.cb.att.com (andrew.j.whitman) writes:

-> You think so? I always thought that one of the prerequisites of a
-> progressive rock band was that you had to leave any sense of humor
-> behind at the door. Terry seems too sarcastic/satiric/satanic
-> to fit the bill. ^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^

I'm a bit confused. Isn't this somewhat redundant?

-> >Lifesavors - Us Kids (pre-Knott songwriting, very Ramones-ish)

-> Now *this* sounds intriguing. Is this one readily available? Gabba
-> gabba hey for Jesus!

Sheena is a holy roller?
Suzi is a biblethumper?
Ho hey let's pray?

- Janne

Jeffrey P. Elbel

Nov 11, 1992, 1:18:00 AM11/11/92
CORRECTION!

The Animator date is Friday, October 20th. Not 24th (Tuesday).
Sorry!

Should be a great show.

Farewell to Juliet IS opening the show at 9:00ish.
Our singer is out of town for a church leadership conference
of some sort, so John and I get to serenade the wonderful fans.

The show is at MABEL's on Green St. in campus town.
Come one, Come all!

Jeff

Jesus Revolution

May 15, 2023, 1:58:30 PM5/15/23
You have Simon Hovlund Music! Check it out on Youtube