What do you have more of: Secular or Christian CDs?

Two Spies

Aug 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/10/99
I B DANMAC wrote:

> I love Christian music. In fact, the CDs that mean the most to me are, more
> often than not, my Christian ones. But I still have many more secular CDs than
> Christian discs.
>
> What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of? And which
> category do you put those nasty Larry Norman and Mike Knott discs in? (Getting
> myself into trouble-again!)

Probably 70% non, 30% Christian in my permanent collection. But there's
probably 50% Christian in my place at any given time, what with review
copies and borrowed copies and stuff I buy just to listen to a bit and
then resell.

josh

I B DANMAC

David Murray (SG Fan)

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

I B DANMAC wrote in message
<19990811013208...@ng-ch1.aol.com>...

>I love Christian music. In fact, the CDs that mean the most to me are, more
>often than not, my Christian ones. But I still have many more secular CDs
than
>Christian discs.
>
>What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of?

Probably 60% Christian/40% secular.

David Murray / dbmu...@deletethis.rfci.net
http://rfci.net/dbmurray
http://www.musicscribe.com
Making hay while the sun shines.

Michael Janke

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
>From: "David Murray (SG Fan)" <dbmu...@deletethis.rfci.net>

>I B DANMAC wrote in message
>>What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of?
>
>Probably 60% Christian/40% secular.

65% Christian
35% Mainstream

Michael Janke
http://members.aol.com/msjanke

"Our aim is, therefore, not to force people to act like Christians,
but to persuade them to consider Christ."
-John Fischer

Inky

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
99.9% Christian. What can I say?

-- C. Matthias

-------------------------------

On 11 Aug 1999 05:32:08 GMT, ibda...@aol.com (I B DANMAC) wrote:

>I love Christian music. In fact, the CDs that mean the most to me are, more
>often than not, my Christian ones. But I still have many more secular CDs than
>Christian discs.

SamHag

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
>But I still have many more secular CDs than
>Christian discs.
>
>What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of

My percentage is 99% Christian, including the Knott & Norman & Donna Summer
albums :o0

Sam Hagedorn
City Lights Music
http://www.clmusic.com
Music By Christians

cs...@mail.tds.net

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
I B DANMAC wrote:

> I love Christian music. In fact, the CDs that mean the most to me are, more
> often than not, my Christian ones. But I still have many more secular CDs than
> Christian discs.
>
> What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of?

90% Secular, 10% Christian
Though I'll admit to having a bunch of older Christian tapes (back when
my parents
frowned on Led Zepplin... or at least back when I was but a babe and my
parents
made me throw out a "Chicago" tape due to its contents. You should have
seen them
when they found Motley Crue).

> And which category do you put those nasty Larry Norman and Mike Knott discs in?
>(Getting myself into trouble-again!)

We've got two categories at my house... My fiance's Country Cd's, and my
not-Country
Cd's (actually... I threw one of my Russ Taff Cd's into her stack).

-Chip "and yep, I'm subjected to the local Country station whenever we
ride in the same
car... though I will admit that Shania Twain is pleasing to the eye"
Howard

Snapp

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

I B DANMAC wrote:

> I love Christian music. In fact, the CDs that mean the most to me are, more
> often than not, my Christian ones. But I still have many more secular CDs than
> Christian discs.
>

> What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of? And which

> category do you put those nasty Larry Norman and Mike Knott discs in? (Getting
> myself into trouble-again!)
>

> -Dan

Well two years ago the answer would have been 100% secular, then a year ago 5%
Christian. but now I'd have to say 35% Christian. Of course as to what I'm buying
more of lately, the percentage would be 95% Christian (though I did just get the
new Candy Butchers, and I must get Jon Brion's CD!!!).

Of course there are other factors, as I'm not only buying mostly Christian, but
also getting rid of alot of secular stuff ( more to make room, then a moral
statement).

This time last year, I wouldn't have thought it possible to have over 300
Christian CDs (with many more on my wish list); and my friends still can't believe
it.

Mike

--
please remove "SKI" when replying

Michial

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
>What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of? And which
>category do you put those nasty Larry Norman and Mike Knott discs in?
>(Getting
>myself into trouble-again!)
>
>-Dan

i have more christian cds...and they're all mixed in with the secular cds...

michial
"The most rewarding part was when he gave me the money."
- Dr. Nick

Jerry B. Ray, Jr.

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
In article <37b163b9...@news.d-n-a.net>,
Darren Aitcheson <dar...@cracker.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm wondering where the dividing line is between a Christian CD and a
>secular one. If there even is a line.

Oh, not this again. My question is this: is the concept just that much
clearer in the U.S. than abroad, or are people from abroad just dumb?

JRjr
--
%%%%% vap...@prism.gatech.edu %%%%%%%% Jerry B. Ray, Jr. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
"Come in here and have a taste.

DR iNDUSTRiAL

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
> What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of? And which
> category do you put those nasty Larry Norman and Mike Knott discs in? (Getting
> myself into trouble-again!)

I have almost exclusively Christian...and I do include all my Mike Knott
/ LSU CDs in there as well. In fact, I may only have like 3 non-Christian
CDs in my collection of around 850+ (of which about 800 are currently
listed online at my webpage).

--
DR iNDUSTRiAL
Duke Engineering '01

J. TARRO

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
I probably have 90% secular and 10% "christian CDs." I get a lot of crap
when people find this out, but one thing I remind them is music does not
make you a christian. The sad thing that I see is that the people that
judge me will watch hours of non-christian movies and television a day, so
where would be the justification. I have not stumbled because of it, and
if I do then I would lose the CDs.
I also have a question about Mike Knott--is he a christian, not by rumor,
but I know he has been seen in really compromising situations.
God Bless
Madbrains

Jerry B. Ray, Jr.

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
In article <37b192d...@news.d-n-a.net>,
Darren Aitcheson <dar...@cracker.co.uk> wrote:

>>Oh, not this again. My question is this: is the concept just that much
>>clearer in the U.S. than abroad, or are people from abroad just dumb?

>Well, apart from your "Christian music" industry being far more
>clearly defined than ours, it seems to me that the secular/Christian
>divide thing is, in general, a much bigger deal in the US than abroad.

I figured that was the case from what I've gathered. I wouldn't say
that the secular/Christian divide is a _big_ deal in the U.S., at least
among the people here in r.m.c. There's a pretty clearly-defined
divide, but it has negligible impact on my musical listening from
day to day. Now, I _do_ have my "secular" and "Christian" CDs
split into separate racks, but that's partially for ease of filing
(I don't have to shift _every_ CD I own when I buy a new All Star United
CD, for instance) and partially a carryover from when I lived in the
dorm and people borrowed CDs from me all the time-I split them into
"stuff you've likely heard of" and "stuff you probably haven't" and
never have integrated them all together now that that's not a
consideration anymore.

Jeff Edwards

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
My collection is at about 950 now and growing, and I would guess that about
70%-80% are "secular" although I don't really divide them by that
distinction. The reason the percentage is so high is probably that, simply
from a quantitative perspective, there are just more secular bands out
there.

Now, as to moving/categorizing them as far as what I listen to most, I will
have to reevaluate that soon. I have a little one on the way and thus will
be storing quite a few "explicit lyrics" discs away from the child's little
ears for a while. (please don't start the whole profanity debate again - I
just think it would be irresponsible for my kid to pick up on certain
words/phrases without understanding that they are controversial).
--
Jeff Edwards
(formerly the Waco Kid)

I B DANMAC wrote in message

<19990811013208...@ng-ch1.aol.com>...

>I love Christian music. In fact, the CDs that mean the most to me are, more
>often than not, my Christian ones. But I still have many more secular CDs
than
>Christian discs.
>

>What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of? And which
>category do you put those nasty Larry Norman and Mike Knott discs in?
(Getting
>myself into trouble-again!)
>

>-Dan

Andrew

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
60% Christian
40% Secular

-Andrew
Visit my Christian Music/Amy Grant Website at
http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/bistro/8754
------------
" Every life every beating heart has a searching soul inside Ever needing, ever
seeking out the meaning of life..." -- Amy Grant

Boo Radley

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

> I B DANMAC wrote in message
> <19990811013208...@ng-ch1.aol.com>...
> >I love Christian music. In fact, the CDs that mean the most to me are, more
> >often than not, my Christian ones. But I still have many more secular CDs
> than
> >Christian discs.
> >
> >What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of? And which
> >category do you put those nasty Larry Norman and Mike Knott discs in?
> (Getting
> >myself into trouble-again!)
> >
> >-Dan

My collections is probably about 70% "christian", 30% "secular", and like Jerry
B. Ray, I also separate my collection. Perhaps a bit anal, but I alphabetize
and separate by category, such as classical, jazz, blues, classic rock,
soundtracks, ccm. It makes it much easier to find a particular kind of music at
any given time. I don't buy much in the way of mainstream current music, simply
because it is a cost consideration. One can only afford so much.

Tim

Norman Leach

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
> My collections is probably about 70% "christian", 30% "secular", and like
Jerry
> B. Ray, I also separate my collection. Perhaps a bit anal, but I
alphabetize
> and separate by category, such as classical, jazz, blues, classic rock,
> soundtracks, ccm. It makes it much easier to find a particular kind of
music at
> any given time. I don't buy much in the way of mainstream current music,
simply
> because it is a cost consideration. One can only afford so much.

my collection is about 90% christian, 10% not. being one that does listen to
lyrics and pays attention to them it's hard for me to buy a LOT of secular.
as it is the secular i buy is stuff like Tom Petty, Cranberries,
Queensrhyche, Ministry (hey i said it was hard for me to buy this stuff, not
impossible!) i put mine all in together but do alphabatize. people can't
understand why until i point out how hard it is to find one cd out of a
thousand with no kind of order in place.

norm

David Murray (SG Fan)

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

Jerry B. Ray, Jr. wrote in message <7os5ea$g...@catapult.gatech.edu>...

>In article <37b192d...@news.d-n-a.net>,
>Darren Aitcheson <dar...@cracker.co.uk> wrote:
>>Well, apart from your "Christian music" industry being far more
>>clearly defined than ours, it seems to me that the secular/Christian
>>divide thing is, in general, a much bigger deal in the US than abroad.
>
>I figured that was the case from what I've gathered. I wouldn't say
>that the secular/Christian divide is a _big_ deal in the U.S., at least
>among the people here in r.m.c.

I think it's more in terms of distribution. The same thing applies in the
book market. But that line is being blurred more and more.

>There's a pretty clearly-defined
>divide, but it has negligible impact on my musical listening from
>day to day.

Same here.

>Now, I _do_ have my "secular" and "Christian" CDs
>split into separate racks, but that's partially for ease of filing

>(I don't have to shift _every_ CD I own when I buy a new All Star United
>CD, for instance)

I have my older cassettes split up by style (Secular, Christmas, Classical,
Southern Gospel, Comedy, and Pop/Rock Christian), but my CDs are all alpha
by artist. I have the advantage of some old display shelves that our store
gave me when we remodeled, so all I have to do is slide them over when
adding new titles. I have four 4' units "in use" with a fifth in storage.
The four units are only about a third full so far. The five units total
should last me the rest of my life.

The reason I don't separate my CDs by style is that 95% of them are either
regular Christian or secular pop music. If I had a lot of comedy and
Christmas CDs, I'd split them up too. I still prefer cassette for comedy
stuff, for some reason, probably because it's cheaper and the quality isn't
as important with spoken words.

David Murray (SG Fan)

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
J. TARRO wrote in message ...

>I probably have 90% secular and 10% "christian CDs." I get a lot of crap
>when people find this out, but one thing I remind them is music does not
>make you a christian. The sad thing that I see is that the people that
>judge me will watch hours of non-christian movies and television a day, so
>where would be the justification. I have not stumbled because of it, and
>if I do then I would lose the CDs.

I have some friends who comment casually, but often, "Sometimes I miss my
secular music." So I finally asked them, "Why did you give up secular
music?" I didn't get a real straight answer, though.

I listen to Bruce Hornsby, because he can play the varnish off a piano. I
listen to Michael W. Smith, because I like the production quality. I listen
to The Cathedrals, because I like the blend of their voices. I listen to
Lyle Lovett, because I like his quirky lyrics.

I'm not diminishing the importance of the message contained in Christian
music, because it IS important. I'm just saying the quality of a performance
isn't LIMITED TO the message. (Sometimes, there IS NO message, good or bad.
What's the moral of "Rockin' Robin," for example?) While I certainly avoid
any lyric that diminishes the Gospel, I don't eliminate a song from my
library if it doesn't happen to be Gospel specific.

Norman Leach

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
> (Sometimes, there IS NO message, good or bad.
> What's the moral of "Rockin' Robin," for example?)

well, we ALL know that Rock 'n Roll was originally a term for sex, so i
would say Rockin' Robin is about a girl (or a guy) named Robin who has sex
in the treetops all day long.....BOPPIN' (probably another euphanism for
doin' the dirty thing)

norm

Brian William

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
:> My collections is probably about 70% "christian", 30% "secular", and like

: Jerry
:> B. Ray, I also separate my collection. Perhaps a bit anal, but I
: alphabetize
:> and separate by category, such as classical, jazz, blues, classic rock,
:> soundtracks, ccm. It makes it much easier to find a particular kind of
: music at
:> any given time. I don't buy much in the way of mainstream current music,
: simply
:> because it is a cost consideration. One can only afford so much.

The main reason I *don't* have more Christian cd's is the cost. I'm
either stuck paying the ridiculous $17 at the local CBS or choose from
the limited selection on Sound and Spirit. Anyway, counting all albums,
it's probably about 90% secular, 10% Christian. Among just the cd's,
it might be closer to 75% secular, 25% Christian. All in alphabetical
order. :>
*Brian

--

Brian William
Calling Out Your Name

Bruce A. Brown

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

I'd say it's a about a 50-50 split. If it weren't for all the Christian
market comps I've gotten over the years, my collection would definitely
be weighted much more heavily toward mainstream albums, because it's
what both my wife and I tend to purchase and listen to more.

Jeff Edwards

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
I have been buying a lot of compilations lately as well. With KTPW on the
air now, maybe I won't have to do that as much, but there's really not any
other way besides compilation discs and promo discs in hm magazine where I
can find out what a lot of bands sound like. To this day, I would have no
idea what most of the Christian bands I enjoy and purchse sound like if not
for comps.

--
Jeff Edwards
(formerly the Waco Kid)
paranoia...@airmail.net (remove NOSPAMMER to reply)
http://web2.airmail.net/paranoia

Bruce A. Brown

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

In article
<2577004F3520106A.75597E17...@lp.airnews.net>,
"Jeff Edwards" <paranoia...@airmail.net> wrote:

> I have been buying a lot of compilations lately as well.

> Bruce A. Brown wrote in message ...

>>I'd say it's a about a 50-50 split. If it weren't for all the Christian
>>market comps I've gotten over the years, my collection would definitely
>>be weighted much more heavily toward mainstream albums, because it's
>>what both my wife and I tend to purchase and listen to more.

I was actually referring to the number of _complimentary_ CDs I receive
for being the sage critic that I am...

Jeff Edwards

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
Ahhh...I see. That's a gravy train I'd love to hook onto someday.

--
Jeff Edwards
(formerly the Waco Kid)
paranoia...@airmail.net (remove NOSPAMMER to reply)
http://web2.airmail.net/paranoia

Two Spies

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
Darren Aitcheson wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Aug 1999 22:59:07 -1000, Two Spies <ca...@maui.net> wrote:
> >I B DANMAC wrote:
> >> What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of? And which
> >> category do you put those nasty Larry Norman and Mike Knott discs in? (Getting
> >> myself into trouble-again!)
> >
> >Probably 70% non, 30% Christian in my permanent collection. But there's
> >probably 50% Christian in my place at any given time, what with review
> >copies and borrowed copies and stuff I buy just to listen to a bit and
> >then resell.
> >
> I'm wondering where the dividing line is between a Christian CD and a
> secular one. If there even is a line.

To me, the terms are pretty meaningless when it comes to value or even
spiritual content. I don't accept the sacred/secular dichotomy as
real. The distinction is only useful in understanding, in part, the
motivations of the artists, and the subcultural context they're in (i.e.
produced by a music industry run by Christians or one by mostly
non-Christians).

josh
NP: Wes Cunningham--12 Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking

Two Spies

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
J. TARRO wrote:

> I also have a question about Mike Knott--is he a christian, not by rumor,
> but I know he has been seen in really compromising situations.

So was Jesus. I think you can say, based on many of Knott's lyrics,
that he believes in Christ for salvation ("One thing I've learned in my
days, Christ saves"). Look for Dave Jenison's post a few days back in
the Mike Knott thread for more detail.

josh

Marihugh

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

Room4Jello wrote in message
<19990811210456...@ng-cj1.aol.com>...
>Christan albums, tapes and CDs: 125
>
>Secular albums, tapes and CDs: 582
>
>I hardly ever listen to the Xian ones though.
>
>Matt
>NP: Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules

I'll tack on my set here:

Christian CDs and tapes: 210
Secular CDs and tapes: 75

The total would be far more if you include the massive number of illegally
copied tapes that I did from people in the church youth group...they would
bring CDs for me to play before church and I would copy them. I don't play
these anymore and am gradually erasing them. The secular total includes the
Britney Spears tape that I bootlegged off the Internet.

rev. jmarihugh
NP Larry Norman "Remixing This Planet"

Marihugh

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

David Murray (SG Fan) wrote in message
<2Ris3.2670$gO1.1...@news2.giganews.com>...

OK, don't laugh...but I've got the reels turning on Britney Spears' "Baby
One More Time" album...I love the production on this album. While electronic
drums drive me batty (techno/synthpop music being the exception), this tape
is pretty damn cool.

Mom was griping at me earlier about it (largely because she's been frowning
on secular music ever since my brother Matt started spinning Limp Bizkit,
RATM, and Korn)..i was like, "until you quit playing the oldies station,
don't knock my Britney Spears."

rev. jmarihugh
NP Britney Spears "Baby One More Time"

"This house is kicking my ass!!"--Cory White, after trying to navigate to
our phone.

Marihugh

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

>I have almost exclusively Christian...and I do include all my Mike Knott
>/ LSU CDs in there as well. In fact, I may only have like 3 non-Christian
>CDs in my collection of around 850+ (of which about 800 are currently
>listed online at my webpage).

Yes! So I'm not the only one who posts his collection for the world to see.
Check out http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/3811/cdlist.html .

As I noticed on my list, I grouped them pretty much by distro...I really
used where CD Warehouse would put them. This resulted in King's X being in
mainstream, and Ty Tabor in Christian.

>--------------------------------------
>"I'm not looking for a one night stand I stand behind you and I watch you
>from a mile away wishing you could be the one but not here this way
>I'd like to know your name and I must know who you are"
>--King's X, "Goldilox"

Have you heard KX's "Tape Head"...is it any good? What about Pinnick's solo
disc?

rev. jmarihugh
NP: Britney Spears "Baby One More Time" (Internet bootleg version with
remixes)

Marihugh

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99
>The main reason I *don't* have more Christian cd's is the cost. I'm
>either stuck paying the ridiculous $17 at the local CBS or choose from
>the limited selection on Sound and Spirit. Anyway, counting all albums,
>it's probably about 90% secular, 10% Christian. Among just the cd's,
>it might be closer to 75% secular, 25% Christian. All in alphabetical
>order. :>
>*Brian

Hate to get repetitive about it, but as one car commercial said "Don't buy
new; buy smart!" I love CD Warehouse, because I can get my Christian music
used over there with a great selection for $6-$8. I've scored some great
stuff there.

Even buying new at CDW is cost-effective. Scored "The Jesus Record" for $17,
where the local CBS was $18 and Wal-Mart was $19, and got MxPx's "Let it
Happen" new for $11.

They get in promo stuff too, from radio stations and stuff, so I've scored
some new stuff at used prices.

rev. jmarihugh
NP Britney Spears "Baby One More Time" (DJ Spaz Extended Remix)

Marihugh

Aug 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/11/99

Jerry B. Ray, Jr. wrote in message <7otcjg$l...@catapult.gatech.edu>...
>In article <37b2283...@news.mindspring.com>,
>Bruce Carter <bru...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>If you really want to stir up trouble, bring up Collective Soul,
>
>Collective Soul: "We're not a Christian band." There, problem solved.

but just try the test where Dial-the-Truth pitted "Burn in Hell" by Twisted
Sister and "Silent Screams" by Rez against each other. Don't tell people who
does the song and ask them which one is the Christian one.

By the same token, even though both are NOT Christian bands, pit "Shine" by
CSoul or "My Own Prison" by Creed against (picking at random) "Drive" by All
Star United.

just a thought from my warped mind...

rev. jmarihugh
NP Britney Spears "Baby One More Time"

"This house is kicking my ass!!"--Cory White

Room4Jello

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Christan albums, tapes and CDs: 125

Secular albums, tapes and CDs: 582

I hardly ever listen to the Xian ones though.

Matt
NP: Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules

Thank you for the toilet paper but your flag is meaningless to me. Look around,
we're all people, who needs countries anyway? - Jello Biafra
...ashes and diamonds,foe and friend, we were all equal...in the end - Roger
Waters

Spin One80

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
>What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of?

90% Christian artists. 10% secular including early U2, Midnight Oil, Big
Country, Art Of Noise,Dick Dale,not many after that.

Bruce Carter

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

>What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of?

Christian, but then I do a Christian rock show on the radio and have
hundreds of CD's for that.

> And which
>category do you put those nasty Larry Norman

Christian!

If you really want to stir up trouble, bring up Collective Soul,

Kansas, and Mister Mister.

Jerry B. Ray, Jr.

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
In article <37b2283...@news.mindspring.com>,
Bruce Carter <bru...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>If you really want to stir up trouble, bring up Collective Soul,

Collective Soul: "We're not a Christian band." There, problem solved.

JRjr

Spin One80

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
>What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of?
>
>90% Christian artists. 10% secular including early U2, Midnight Oil, Big
>Country, Art Of Noise,Dick Dale. I also include Galactic Cowboys, King's X,
and Kansas in the secular catagory

cs...@mail.tds.net

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Two Spies wrote:
> J. TARRO wrote:
> > I also have a question about Mike Knott--is he a christian, not by > > rumor, but I know he has been seen in really compromising > > situations.

> Look for Dave Jenison's post a few days back in the Mike Knott thread > for more detail.

My feeling... Asking a human if another human is a Christian is
pointless. The only one who truly knows is Christ. We may get "vibes"
or "feelings", but they (IMHO) are based solely on our own experiences
and in the end... count for squat. I won't be the judge... and neither
will you.

Chip "waxing philosophically" Howard

cs...@mail.tds.net

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Marihugh wrote:

> NP: Britney Spears "Baby One More Time" (Internet bootleg version with
> remixes)

Nice to look at but reminds me too much of Hanson

Chip

Snapp

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
> josh
> NP: Wes Cunningham--12 Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking

So what do you think about this CD?, I was surprised at the heaviness of it, as Wes
kinda looks like Chris Rice after a bad night.

Mike

--
please remove "SKI" when replying

Snapp

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

"Jerry B. Ray, Jr." wrote:

> In article <37b2283...@news.mindspring.com>,
> Bruce Carter <bru...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >If you really want to stir up trouble, bring up Collective Soul,
>
> Collective Soul: "We're not a Christian band." There, problem solved.

or a good band :)

Jerry B. Ray, Jr.

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

You do realize that the Hansons are all boys, right?

Jerry B. Ray, Jr.

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
In article <37B2BB80...@worldweb.netSKI>,
Snapp <sn...@worldweb.netSKI> wrote:

>> Collective Soul: "We're not a Christian band." There, problem solved.

>or a good band :)

Yeah, whatever. I like 'em, except for the fact that most of their songs
that become hits are ballads.

clive

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Jerry B. Ray, Jr. (vap...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote>
> Darren Aitcheson <dar...@cracker.co.uk> wrote:

> >I'm wondering where the dividing line is between a Christian CD and a
> >secular one. If there even is a line.
>

> Oh, not this again. My question is this: is the concept just that much
> clearer in the U.S. than abroad

yes. the concept is irrelevant anywhere else.

> or are people from abroad just dumb?

from what perspective? ;)

> JRjr

clive

clive

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
I B DANMAC (ibda...@aol.com) wrote:
> But I still have many more secular CDs than
> Christian discs.
>
> What about the rest of you? Which type do you have the most of? And which

secular: 600+
christian: 51 (i'm surprised i have that many - though 5 bands make up
half that total. i've only bought 5 in the last four years,
and 2 of those were sixpence CDs back in june)

this determination is pretty loose. going on content is rather
pointless, as is determining it by record label (eg. my believer
tourniquet, saviour machine cds etc. are on 'secular' labels)

clive

clive

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Darren Aitcheson (dar...@cracker.co.uk) wrote:

> Well, apart from your "Christian music" industry being far more
> clearly defined than ours, it seems to me that the secular/Christian
> divide thing is, in general, a much bigger deal in the US than abroad.
>
> Excluding Northern Ireland of course ;)

nah.. in northern ireland it doesnt matter, as long as you're
either a protestant secularist or a catholic secularist... ;)

clive

clive

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Jerry B. Ray, Jr. (vap...@prism.gatech.edu) wrote>

> Now, I _do_ have my "secular" and "Christian" CDs
> split into separate racks, but that's partially for ease of filing
> (I don't have to shift _every_ CD I own when I buy a new All Star United
> CD, for instance) and partially a carryover from when I lived in the
> dorm and people borrowed CDs from me all the time-I split them into
> "stuff you've likely heard of" and "stuff you probably haven't" and
> never have integrated them all together now that that's not a
> consideration anymore.

i think 95% of my collection falls into "stuff you've likely never
heard of".. ;) my filing system is collapsing though as i've run
out of space in my cd-holders, and they've started piling up
everywhere. it is filed mostly alphabetically, chronologically
and by style.

> JRjr

clive

clive

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Marihugh (mari...@viagrafix.net) wrote>

> >I have almost exclusively Christian...and I do include all my Mike Knott
> >/ LSU CDs in there as well. In fact, I may only have like 3 non-Christian
> >CDs in my collection of around 850+ (of which about 800 are currently
> >listed online at my webpage).
>
> Yes! So I'm not the only one who posts his collection for the world to see.

obviously not. ;) i've done it too.

just a bit of advice. it would be beneficial if you also put a
"text only" version on as well.. having all the album covers
looks pretty nice, but it can take ages to download, particularly
if you're on the other side of the atlantic. ;)

we have 16 CDs in common. (6 of which are kings x, and 4 are u2).

> Have you heard KX's "Tape Head"...is it any good? What about Pinnick's solo
> disc?

"tape head" is ok, there some pretty good songs on it. it sounds
a bit like a cross between "dogman" and "ear candy" to me.

> rev. jmarihugh

clive

Marihugh

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

clive wrote in message <7ouktq$r71$5...@fu-berlin.de>...
<snipped for time>

>just a bit of advice. it would be beneficial if you also put a
>"text only" version on as well.. having all the album covers
>looks pretty nice, but it can take ages to download, particularly
>if you're on the other side of the atlantic. ;)

Thought of that too...been too used to blazing-fast internet...kinda a
downfall when you go to a 486/66MHZ w/ a 56K modem and the list takes 2
hours (approx of course) to download properly. It will be done in a timely
manner.

>clive

rev. jmarihugh
NP Guts Church "Guts Live"

Marihugh

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
>we have 16 CDs in common. (6 of which are kings x, and 4 are u2).

you must be counting the international versions of the 6pence discs as
different. Unless you missed seeing SNTR because I filed them under "Chick
Rock"

rev. jmarihugh
NP Fleming and John "Delusions of Grandeur"

cs...@mail.tds.net

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Jerry B. Ray, Jr. wrote:
> In article <37B2B9A1...@mail.tds.net>, <cs...@mail.tds.net> wrote:
> >> NP: Britney Spears "Baby One More Time" (Internet bootleg version with
> >> remixes)
>
> >Nice to look at but reminds me too much of Hanson
>
> You do realize that the Hansons are all boys, right?

Well...

What?

*blink blink*

;-)

Actually ya... I meant that both Hanson and Spears have a musical style
that my younger sister has an easier time appreciating than I do (though
it took me a significantly long time to realize that Hanson was all
boys). Never forget the first time I heard hmm bop, I turned to my
fiance and said "this sucks so bad I'll bet you it becomes popular"

Jeff Edwards

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
>Actually ya... I meant that both Hanson and Spears have a musical style
>that my younger sister has an easier time appreciating than I do (though
>it took me a significantly long time to realize that Hanson was all
>boys). Never forget the first time I heard hmm bop, I turned to my
>fiance and said "this sucks so bad I'll bet you it becomes popular"

Sad but true. My wife and I go to a lot of movies, and thus must put up
with "Movietunes", which apparently is piped into dang near every major
chain. One particular song that I'm told is very popular right now called
"Honey to the Bee" by some youngster plays every single time I sit in a
theater. I told my wife the first time, "This sucks." The second time,
"After a second listen, it still sucks." Only after hearing it in a
co-worker's car coming from the CD player did I realize that anyone actually
liked the song.
--
Jeff Edwards
(formerly the Waco Kid)
paranoia...@airmail.net (remove NOSPAMMER to reply)
http://web2.airmail.net/paranoia

Marihugh

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

Jeff Edwards wrote in message
<7BBEECD76D94E093.16A796C6...@lp.airnews.net>...

>chain. One particular song that I'm told is very popular right now called
>"Honey to the Bee" by some youngster plays every single time I sit in a

as the one who started this unfortunate foray into teenpop let me tell you,
it's "Honey to the B" by Billie.

rev. jmarihugh
NP Petra Live '97 bootleg

Mad dog

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
On 12 Aug 1999, clive wrote:
> Marihugh (mari...@viagrafix.net) wrote>
>
> > >I have almost exclusively Christian...and I do include all my Mike Knott
> > >/ LSU CDs in there as well. In fact, I may only have like 3 non-Christian
> > >CDs in my collection of around 850+ (of which about 800 are currently
> > >listed online at my webpage).
> >
> > Yes! So I'm not the only one who posts his collection for the world to see.
>
> obviously not. ;) i've done it too.

Actually, I guess I have a list still up, but I haven't done anything to
it for quite some time, so it's way out of date. So I'll barely put up
the address. And I'll include a disclaimer: be very careful where you
tread, this site was not designed to be user friendly, but merely
amusing to me when I was writing it. There are links that don't go
anywhere, expired links, and many many random/nonsense links.

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~jhaveman/albums.html

> we have 16 CDs in common. (6 of which are kings x, and 4 are u2).

Heh. I actually also have 16 CDs from the aforementioned list. (Along
with 5 more of the albums on cassete). 4 Prayer Chain and 3 (+1 tape)
King's X.

And also, clive, I know I've been there before, but just now I searched
for your list but came up empty. I thought that I was pretty ok at
finding stuff with altavista, but no dice.

Two Spies

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Snapp wrote:

> > josh
> > NP: Wes Cunningham--12 Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking
>
> So what do you think about this CD?, I was surprised at the heaviness of it, as Wes
> kinda looks like Chris Rice after a bad night.

Well, I listened to it at Borders and got it based on that. I'm used to
much heavier stuff (Metallica--Garage Inc. currently in player) so I
didn't think of it like that at all. I like it. Kinda fresh sounding
rock. I need to listen to it more, though; at this point it's one of
those discs I can't really remember when it's not actually playing. Do
you know what he's done before? One song in the middle of the album
seemed to have Christian leanings, or so it seemed as I was listening.
I hate it when there's no lyric sheet.

josh

Jeff Edwards

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Mine's missing about 100 since the last update, I think, but it's at:

http://web2.airmail.net/paranoia/musiclist.htm

I have some overlap with you.

--
Jeff Edwards
(formerly the Waco Kid)
paranoia...@airmail.net (remove NOSPAMMER to reply)
http://web2.airmail.net/paranoia

Dan Singleton

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
It depends where you put King's X, Galactic Cowboys, early U2, even Bach for
that matter. That kind of stuff makes up nearly 20% of my collection.
About another 25% is Christian. The other 45% is secular. Of course, half
of the music I'm listening to at any given time is King's X or Galactic
Cowboys.

Dan Singleton

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Good. The best thing you can do if you want to make sure non-Christians
never listen to your message is to go around calling yourselves a "Christian
band."

Jerry B. Ray, Jr. wrote in message <7otcjg$l...@catapult.gatech.edu>...

>In article <37b2283...@news.mindspring.com>,
>Bruce Carter <bru...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>If you really want to stir up trouble, bring up Collective Soul,
>

>Collective Soul: "We're not a Christian band." There, problem solved.

Mad dog

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Jeff Edwards wrote:

> Mine's missing about 100 since the last update, I think, but it's at:
>
> http://web2.airmail.net/paranoia/musiclist.htm
>
> I have some overlap with you.

You could say that. [Note: I did just update my on-line CD list, cause
I was bored, so if it didn't have, say Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
(Neil Young) then it was an old version.]

I have 58 of those listed on CD, 32 on cassette, and 8 similar classical
albums (different conductors, etc).

Granted, that's only about 20% of my collection, but you have
Underworld's _Change the Weather_, I mean, for crying out loud, I had no
idea anyone else would admit to owning that album. "The Original Song"
rules.

Note: I do realize that post '93 Underworld sounds very different (in
fact now they're in my top 5), which is why the first two albums are
tiny Brittish releases and unavailable and not mentioned on the website
and such.

Also, what Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, The Cult and/or Echo and the
Bunnymen are the best to start with?

Mad dog
mountmccabe (at) yahoo.com

NP - Beethoven's 3rd Symphony - Klemperer/Philharmonia
[just passed that beautiful bit in the middle of the 2nd movement]

Snapp

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

Two Spies wrote:

I bought it because I vaguely remember someone mentioning him on either a Christian NG,
or artist website. His band is all Christian studio guys, but I don't know where he came
from. My memory has me thinkin' there is a Caedmon's Call connection.

Mike

Mad dog

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
On 12 Aug 1999, clive wrote:

> i think 95% of my collection falls into "stuff you've likely never
> heard of".. ;) my filing system is collapsing though as i've run
> out of space in my cd-holders, and they've started piling up
> everywhere. it is filed mostly alphabetically, chronologically
> and by style.

I get bored with any one filing system. Thus I change my ordering
system every once in a while. Recent systems: alphabetical by band
(then chronological); alphabetical by album title; alphabetical by
record company; chronological (overall); CD length; etc.

Currently it's alphabetical by album title, starting in the bottom right
hand corner. Also classical is currently off on it's own.

I once tried a Genre-sort, but it was far too complicated. I'd need a
CD rack with several more dimensions than any currently available.

Mad dog
mountmccabe (at) yahoo.com

NP - Beethoven's 3rd Symphony (Klemperer/Philharmonia)

Chuck Pearson

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
cs...@mail.tds.net wrote:
: > NP: Britney Spears "Baby One More Time" (Internet bootleg version with
: > remixes)

: Nice to look at but reminds me too much of Hanson

dude, DON'T INSULT HANSON like that. 8-)

chuck
--
yeah, your radio's pretty good this year [thanx to bill mallonee.]
but your retail's not worth a dime <cpea...@freenet.columbus.oh.us>

Chuck Pearson

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
Mad dog (jhav...@u2.arizona.edu) wrote:
: Also, what Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, The Cult and/or Echo and the

: Bunnymen are the best to start with?

dude. that's like the second time the Cocteau Twins have come up in a
week.

i've never been a big fan, but i always thought _heaven_or_las_vegas_ was
the bomb.

Marihugh

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99
>I once tried a Genre-sort, but it was far too complicated. I'd need a
>CD rack with several more dimensions than any currently available.

My current sorting method: By genre, alphabetically by artist within genre,
Tooth and Nail and related (BEC, Solid State, Plastiq Musiq, and other
albums by artists CONNECTED to T&N [i.e. the Blamed on Grrr, FoldZan's indie
and SubLime, etc.]) in one case; Tooth and Nail and related plus the
"secular" stuff in the other case.

I keep my discs in two roughly 124-disc CD wallets. (keeps em portable...)

rev. jmarihugh
NP Spoken "What Remains"

Marihugh

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

Chuck Pearson wrote in message >: Nice to look at but reminds me too much of

Hanson

>dude, DON'T INSULT HANSON like that. 8-)

Not gonna get really into this...I'm not one of those screaming fans. But,
to borrow David Murray's classification scheme:

Britney Spears: dig her!
Hanson: dump 'em.

rev. jmarihugh
NP Spoken "What Remains" (This is the music I REALLY listen to.)

Jeff Edwards

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

Mad dog wrote in message ...
>Granted, that's only about 20% of my collection, but you have
>Underworld's _Change the Weather_, I mean, for crying out loud, I had no
>idea anyone else would admit to owning that album. "The Original Song"
>rules.

Hehe...yeah, my friends often marvel that they find one or two things that
they thought _no one_ else had.

>Note: I do realize that post '93 Underworld sounds very different (in
>fact now they're in my top 5), which is why the first two albums are
>tiny Brittish releases and unavailable and not mentioned on the website
>and such.

True, Underworld has undergone a tremendous transformation. I hear the new
album is quite good.

>Also, what Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, The Cult and/or Echo and the
>Bunnymen are the best to start with?

hmmm...For Dead Can Dance I'd start with "A Passage In Time" which is a
compilation. It has a nice mix of their female vocal, more
middle-eastern-influenced tracks, and the nice male Sinatra-esque vocals
with some great, ethereal music underneath. Actually, Spiritchaser is
excellent too, if you like more Native-American type influences (along the
lines of another in my collection - Douglas Spotted Eagle and his Native
American Flute and chant compositions).

With Cocteau Twins, I'm biased because I hooked onto them before anyone knew
who they were, but I think anything post Blue Bell Knoll is kind of a waste.
The thing that made the Cocteaus so special in the early years in the way
the girls used their voices as an additional instrument without any
discernable lyrics. With "Heaven or Las Vegas" and beyond, you can make out
snippets of words, which takes a little away, in my opinion.

The Cult....I really like the older stuff ala Dreamtime from just after
their "Death Cult" and "Southern Death Cult" incarnations, because they are
a little more gothic and creative - before Rick Rubin latched on and tried
to metallicize them. Still, Electric is pretty good and has some nice
pop/metal songs. I think they have a compilation out in the last few years
to check out, which would be a waste of money for me.

As to Echo, never, ever, ever buy anything from them that has anyone but Ian
McCulloch as the lead singer. In fact, if you can find Ian's "Candleland"
(out of print, I think), pick it up. As for Echo proper, many people like
the s/t album with "Lips Like Sugar" for its more accessible pop songs.
"Songs To Learn and Sing" is probably better for the essence of Echo,
though, as it is a compilation, and also has my favorite Echo song on it
("Do it Clean"). Trivia for you - what does "Echo" in the name "Echo and
the Bunnymen" refer to?

Jeff Edwards
para...@airmail.net

Jeff Edwards

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

Chuck Pearson wrote in message >dude. that's like the second time the

Cocteau Twins have come up in a
>week.

As well they should. They make (made?) truly innovative, creative music by
really using their voices as an instrument instead of simply a medium for
lyrics.

>i've never been a big fan, but i always thought _heaven_or_las_vegas_ was
>the bomb.

Hehe...after I just got through ripping anything post Blue Bell Knoll.
Actually, Heaven or Las Vegas is pretty good. The title track was a minor
alternative hit in the early 90s (good grief I feel old saying things like
that), and probably introduced a lot of people to them. Good news for folks
like me, as it spurred 4AD into releasing some older stuff domestically,
rather than the import-only route. Man, I remember my 4AD days, listening
to the Cocteaus, Dead Can Dance's early stuff, the Pixies early stuff, and
Xymox. That label put out some really great stuff from about 85-92. Plus,
there was WaxTrax with Front 242 and a slew of other pseudo-industrial
bands, and great stuff by Ministry and all of Alain Jourgenson's (sp) other
side projects.

Jeff Edwards
para...@airmail.net

Steven Horton

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99

: "Jerry B. Ray, Jr." wrote:

: > In article <37b2283...@news.mindspring.com>,

: > Bruce Carter <bru...@mindspring.com> wrote:
: >
: > >If you really want to stir up trouble, bring up Collective Soul,
: >
: > Collective Soul: "We're not a Christian band." There, problem solved.

: or a good band :)

Hey now. Collective Soul is one of my favorite bands...

FOR ME TO POOP ON!
-Steve

: --

: please remove "SKI" when replying

--

/ /\/\ steve horton
\ \ / fifth year student at purdue university

Mad dog

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Jeff Edwards did once pen:

> Mad dog wrote in message ...

> >Note: I do realize that post '93 Underworld sounds very different (in

> >fact now they're in my top 5), which is why the first two albums are
> >tiny Brittish releases and unavailable and not mentioned on the website
> >and such.
>
> True, Underworld has undergone a tremendous transformation. I hear the new
> album is quite good.

Oh yes. _dubnobasswithmyheadman_ still kind of sticks with me as my
favorite, but I was definately happy with _Beaucoup Fish_.

> >Also, what Cocteau Twins, Dead Can Dance, The Cult and/or Echo and the
> >Bunnymen are the best to start with?

[answers snipped]

I've added several CDs to my previously infinite list of albums to
purchase.

I have heard _Blue Bell Knoll_ before, and yeah, the voice as
instruments thing was cool. And I love that anyway, since I
really like vocals but I generally don't like lyrics (vocals in other
languages work this way too).

> Trivia for you - what does "Echo" in the name "Echo and
> the Bunnymen" refer to?

Honestly, I have no idea. I really don't know much about them other
than that they're one of those 80's bands that I should actually like,
and that several bands that I do like have cited them as influences.

Altho I did hear part of an album in a CD store (they let you listen to
any of the used CDs or promo CDs) but it was not a good place to start,
or the band just isn't that good. I'm pretty sure it was a more recent
album, since that is what they had used. But something older definately
still has promise.

Thanks for the info...

Mad dog
mountmccabe (at) yahoo (dot) com

NP - Beethoven - 5th Symphony, Furtwangler/Vienna Philharmonic

Mad dog

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99

That was the original question, wasn't it. It also varies based on what
one counts, how do you count two-CD-albums, singles, boxed sets, etc.

I will offer answers based on a CD Set basis and on a compact disc
basis (i.e. the Smashing Pumpkins double-album _Mellon Collie and the
Inifinite Sadness_ counts as two discs):

Christian Lable stuff: 12.3% (CD Set), 13.0% (disc).

Stuff that could be construed (by some) as Chrsitian (includes King's X,
Mendelssohn's 2nd and 5th Symphonies ["Hymn of Praise" and "Reformation"
{the second based on a Luther humn}], requiems and various other masses)
works out to be 19.8%; 19.7%.

For comparison, 36.4%/38.5% of my collection is by British artists...

Mad dog
mountmccabe (at) yahoo (dot) com

NP - Beethoven - 7th Symphony - Furtwangler/Vienna Philharmonic

Jeff Edwards

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
Mad dog wrote in message ...
>> Trivia for you - what does "Echo" in the name "Echo and
>> the Bunnymen" refer to?
>
>Honestly, I have no idea. I really don't know much about them other
>than that they're one of those 80's bands that I should actually like,
>and that several bands that I do like have cited them as influences.
NP - Beethoven - 5th Symphony, Furtwangler/Vienna Philharmonic

Well, "Echo" refers to their drum machine. In their earliest days, before
they acquired their original human drummer, they had to use the dreaded drum
machine, and nicknamed it Echo. From what I remember, that was kind of
their schtick back then. They would actually have the machine sitting in
the middle of the stage like an additional band member.

Patrick J McDonough

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
Darren Aitcheson (dar...@cracker.co.uk) wrote:
: I'm wondering where the dividing line is between a Christian CD and a
: secular one. If there even is a line.

Play any David Wilcox CD, and spend the afternoon trying to figure that
one out. good luck!

Dan Singleton

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
Can't you be a little more precise in your percentages? :)

Michial

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
>Collective Soul: "We're not a Christian band." There, problem solved.

dc talk said the same thing...

michial
"The most rewarding part was when he gave me the money."
- Dr. Nick

Jerry B. Ray, Jr.

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
In article <19990814190402...@ng-bj1.aol.com>,
Michial <swir...@aol.comnojunk> wrote:

>>Collective Soul: "We're not a Christian band." There, problem solved.

>dc talk said the same thing...

But unlike DC Talk (and there's been some debate in the past if they
even qualify _as_ a "band," though not from me), Collective Soul
doesn't rely on Christian fans, Christian radio, Christian promoters,
Christian bookstores, Christian festivals, the whole Christian music
industry to keep them going.

I'm not saying one's better than the other, just that it's a little
more believable when Collective Soul says it than when DC Talk
says it.

Marihugh

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

Jerry B. Ray, Jr. wrote in message <7p5cop$k...@catapult.gatech.edu>...

>In article <19990814190402...@ng-bj1.aol.com>,
>Michial <swir...@aol.comnojunk> wrote:

<snipped>

>But unlike DC Talk (and there's been some debate in the past if they
>even qualify _as_ a "band," though not from me),

Question...do PCD, Brother's Keeper, and the myriad other vocal groups
qualify as "bands" ?

Collective Soul
>doesn't rely on Christian fans, Christian radio, Christian promoters,
>Christian bookstores, Christian festivals, the whole Christian music
>industry to keep them going.
>
>I'm not saying one's better than the other, just that it's a little
>more believable when Collective Soul says it than when DC Talk
>says it.

Here you get into the whole "Christians in a band" thing...what have the
members of CSoul, Creed, and other spiritually-influenced bands said about
their personal faith?

rev. jmarihugh
NP Sarah Masen "Carry Us Through"
"...and all I really want is to wrap my arms around Your name..."
--Sarah Masen

Jerry B. Ray, Jr.

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
In article <7p5lqu$chn$1...@ionews.ionet.net>,
Marihugh <mari...@viagrafix.net> wrote:

>>But unlike DC Talk (and there's been some debate in the past if they
>>even qualify _as_ a "band," though not from me),

>Question...do PCD, Brother's Keeper, and the myriad other vocal groups
>qualify as "bands" ?

Sure, I guess so. To say they're not is drawing the line a little too
finely, I think. But if you want to call them a "group" or whatever,
I don't really care enough to argue about it. :-)

>Here you get into the whole "Christians in a band" thing...what have the
>members of CSoul, Creed, and other spiritually-influenced bands said about
>their personal faith?

IIRC, Creed has said that they're not Christians. As for Collective
Soul, I think maybe some of the people in the band are Christians,
but the main songwriter stated (in a Musician magazine interview, IIRC)
that he's not really into Christianity anymore per se, but rather
some more nebulous concept of "spirituality." That was quite a few
years ago, though, and things can change.

David Murray (SG Fan)

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99

Jerry B. Ray, Jr. wrote in message <7p6f1s$n...@catapult.gatech.edu>...

>In article <7p5lqu$chn$1...@ionews.ionet.net>,
>Marihugh <mari...@viagrafix.net> wrote:
>
>>>But unlike DC Talk (and there's been some debate in the past if they
>>>even qualify _as_ a "band," though not from me),
>
>>Question...do PCD, Brother's Keeper, and the myriad other vocal groups
>>qualify as "bands" ?
>
>Sure, I guess so. To say they're not is drawing the line a little too
>finely, I think. But if you want to call them a "group" or whatever,
>I don't really care enough to argue about it. :-)

Yeah, it's semantics. Some people refer to any "artist" as a "band," even if
it's solo artists. Like, you go to a festival, and they ask later, "What
bands did you see?" and you'll respond with the acts you really enjoyed,
even if one of them was Russ Taff.

Personally, I always found it a bit unusual to refer to any musical act that
didn't have a horn line and a drum line as a "band."

David Murray / dbmu...@deletethis.rfci.net
http://rfci.net/dbmurray
http://www.musicscribe.com
Making hay while the sun shines.

Peter Thomas Chattaway

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
Well, of the 695 CDs I've got indexed at the moment (I have some review
copies of both secular and Christian albums that I haven't entered yet)
there are:

114 Christian albums (including Chagall Guevara and Sam Phillips, but
not including Midnight Oil or U2), and
241 soundtracks and other movie-related albums (including all three
Simpsons albums, Madonna's _I'm Breathless_ and the original
Spinal Tap album, but not including my Sesame Street CDs or
Spinal Tap's _Break Like the Wind_ or any soundtrack album
related to movies that starred The Beatles or U2)

This is something of a rough count, but it's close enough, I think (and I
freely admit I've applied my criteria, re: what counts as "Christian" or
as a "soundtrack", arbitrarily and probably inconsistently).

Presumably the rest of the collection is secular, but it includes a good
bit of classical music, which may or may not qualify as "Christian"
depending on the composer in question, and stuff like Gregorian chants
and a few modern interpretations of Hildegard von Bingen.

--
--- Peter T. Chattaway ------------------------ pet...@interchg.ubc.ca ---
No man is an Island, entire of it self... -- John Donne, Meditation XVII

clive

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Marihugh (mari...@viagrafix.net) wrote:
> >we have 16 CDs in common. (6 of which are kings x, and 4 are u2).
>
> you must be counting the international versions of the 6pence discs as
> different. Unless you missed seeing SNTR because I filed them under "Chick
> Rock"

no, i didnt. they would make up 2 of the "other 6"... ;)

> rev. jmarihugh
> NP Fleming and John "Delusions of Grandeur"

clive
NP: dali's dilemma - manifesto for futurism

clive

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Mad dog (jhav...@u2.arizona.edu) wrote>

> On 12 Aug 1999, clive wrote:
> > Marihugh (mari...@viagrafix.net) wrote>
> >
> > > Yes! So I'm not the only one who posts his collection for the
> > > world to see.
> >
> > obviously not. ;) i've done it too.

> Actually, I guess I have a list still up, but I haven't done anything to
> it for quite some time, so it's way out of date. So I'll barely put up
> the address. And I'll include a disclaimer: be very careful where you
>

> http://www.u.arizona.edu/~jhaveman/albums.html

i have 30 of the CDs on your list, not counting classical stuff (i dont
have a list of the classical music i own).

> > > Check out http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/3811/cdlist.html .

> > we have 16 CDs in common. (6 of which are kings x, and 4 are u2).
>

> Heh. I actually also have 16 CDs from the aforementioned list. (Along
> with 5 more of the albums on cassete). 4 Prayer Chain and 3 (+1 tape)
> King's X.
>
> And also, clive, I know I've been there before, but just now I searched
> for your list but came up empty. I thought that I was pretty ok at
> finding stuff with altavista, but no dice.

members.tripod.com/~clive_mccaig/cdlist.txt [i think - it's the only
page there whatever it is]. it's not that accurate. i tend to add new
stuff when i remember, and hardly ever delete stuff i've gotten rid of.

clive

clive

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
Mad dog (jhav...@u2.arizona.edu) wrote>

> For comparison, 36.4%/38.5% of my collection is by British artists...

i have 42 artists from great britain, out of a total 350 or so.
the most artists from any country is the US with around 130. most
from any continent is europe with about 200. (most represented
countries are GB (42) and sweden (30))

> Mad dog

> NP - Beethoven - 7th Symphony - Furtwangler/Vienna Philharmonic

clive

Jerry B. Ray, Jr.

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
In article <7pbbgr$801$1...@nclient9-gui.server.ntli.net>,
Tony Bowden <to...@crater.blackstar.co.uk> wrote:

>> 114 Christian albums (including Chagall Guevara and Sam Phillips, but
>> not including Midnight Oil or U2), and

>Explanation please ...

Seems to me that both Chagall Guevara (Steve Taylor) and Sam Phillips
had previously been associated with the CCM industry, beginning their
careers there. Neither U2 nor Midnight Oil share that distinction.

Robert Coates

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
By far: more secular. I often find "secular" CDs that have more
Christian content in the lyrics than so called "Christian" music. The
most recent was the new Ziggy Marley CD. I know--he's a Rasta man, but
the lyrics are about following God's will, and a life of prayer etc.

Mad dog

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, Dan Singleton wrote:

> Can't you be a little more precise in your percentages? :)

Sure, but at that point, I might as well give the pure numbers, since
the fraction will be more accurate than any decimal will ever be (except
in special cases, when they will be _as_ accurate). And anyway, since I
posted that I've gotten a new disc or two, so it's already out-of-date.

However, in an attempt to answer your question, I'll give the following
data [there'd be a smiley here if I could stand writing them]

Label Stuff: 38h 06m 49s
Vague Stuff: 27h 48m 23s
Other Stuff: 286h 47m 36s

Feel free to work out the percentages to whatever precision you wish...

> >I will offer answers based on a CD Set basis and on a compact disc
> >basis (i.e. the Smashing Pumpkins double-album _Mellon Collie and the
> >Inifinite Sadness_ counts as two discs):
> >
> >Christian Lable stuff: 12.3% (CD Set), 13.0% (disc).
> >
> >Stuff that could be construed (by some) as Chrsitian (includes King's X,
> >Mendelssohn's 2nd and 5th Symphonies ["Hymn of Praise" and "Reformation"
> >{the second based on a Luther humn}], requiems and various other masses)
> >works out to be 19.8%; 19.7%.

I should have said "Including stuff...." This was not supposed to mean
"an additional 20%...."

Mad dog

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
Yes, I realize I already responded to this one...

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Jeff Edwards wrote:
> Mad dog wrote in message ...

> As to Echo, never, ever, ever buy anything from them that has anyone but Ian

> McCulloch as the lead singer. In fact, if you can find Ian's "Candleland"
> (out of print, I think), pick it up. As for Echo proper, many people like
> the s/t album with "Lips Like Sugar" for its more accessible pop songs.
> "Songs To Learn and Sing" is probably better for the essence of Echo,
> though, as it is a compilation, and also has my favorite Echo song on it
> ("Do it Clean").

Well, I picked up the self-titled album, and so far, it's good stuff. I
wasn't able to find any of the other stuff I wanted (used, that is) and
actually, this one was on cassette (I now have a tape player in the
Trooper so I need something to listen to... my tape collection has
barely changed since 1994...).

And actually, I found three (used) copies of _Candleland_, which made me
think that I had gotten the title wrong. But I guess not, and I like
the s/t, so I may pick up a _Candleland_ after work...

Mad dog
mountmccabe (at) yahoo (dot) com

NP - Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters

Jeff Edwards

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99

Mad dog wrote in message ...
>Well, I picked up the self-titled album, and so far, it's good stuff. I
>wasn't able to find any of the other stuff I wanted (used, that is) and
>actually, this one was on cassette (I now have a tape player in the
>Trooper so I need something to listen to... my tape collection has
>barely changed since 1994...).

Cocteaus and Dead Can Dance are especially hard to find used around here.
In fact, they're often hard to find new at Best Buy. CDNow and Amazon have
become two of my primary sources. They seem to have really expanded their
offerings.

As for Candleland, same story at the places I've tried. I finally found
one copy used and grabbed it. "Proud to Fall" was a minor alternative hit
in about '90. It's a good, relaxing sort of CD.

Jeff Edwards
para...@airmail.net

Jae Ellis

Dec 9, 2020, 2:39:40 PM12/9/20
On Thursday, August 12, 1999 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Two Spies wrote:
> Snapp wrote:
> >
> > > josh
> > > NP: Wes Cunningham--12 Ways to Win People to Your Way of Thinking
> >
> > So what do you think about this CD?, I was surprised at the heaviness of it, as Wes
> > kinda looks like Chris Rice after a bad night.
> Well, I listened to it at Borders and got it based on that. I'm used to
> much heavier stuff (Metallica--Garage Inc. currently in player) so I
> didn't think of it like that at all. I like it. Kinda fresh sounding
> rock. I need to listen to it more, though; at this point it's one of
> those discs I can't really remember when it's not actually playing. Do
> you know what he's done before? One song in the middle of the album
> seemed to have Christian leanings, or so it seemed as I was listening.
> I hate it when there's no lyric sheet.
> josh
Through his music, Wes Cunningham does a great job of weaving-in "Christian leanings" without focusing every lyric or song on his faith. Wes -- keep writing and recording !!!