List of Christian Jazz Musicians

chaplin

May 16, 1991, 10:08:32 PM5/16/91

Well, I've seen many posts lately about Christians in secular music,
and a few of those have been about jazz musicians. (Please, let's not
get into a big discussion about "secular" vs. "Christian" music -
that's a whole 'nother topic B-). I would like to compile a list of
musicians who happen to be Christians and who happen to play jazz.
Even if they play other kinds of music, too. I personally would like
to use this as a prayer list.

For starters, here are the ones I know anything about:

Larry Carlton - guitar
Kirk Whalum - saxaphone(s?)
Eric Merienthal - saxaphones
John Patituci (sp?) - bass

Musicians I *think* are Christians:

Nathan East - bass He appears on quite a few of Sandy Patti's tunes; I
read excerpts of an interview in which he talked about how great it was
that some of the group he was with (Steve Winwood?) were having prayer
meetings while on tour. Do I correctly surmise from these facts that
he is a Christian? I don't know - help me out if you can. I classify
him as a jazz musician because he is also on the Manhattan Transfer's
_Brasil_ album.

So, all you who know of any others, reply via e-mail and I will compile a
list and post it.

Thanks for your help!!
--
Roger Chaplin / Instruments Division Engineering | "Eschew obfuscation."
cha...@keinstr.uucp / CI$: 76307,3506 | - Jim Mazak

Steven Timm

May 17, 1991, 10:24:51 AM5/17/91
To the list of Christian jazz musicians we should probably add Chuck
Mangione and his band. When last I heard him in concert a couple
years ago, they did a couple of quite openly religious songs (with vocals).
I don't know if the plaintive song "Children of Sanchez" has been recorded
or if so where, but it's worth getting.

Steve Timm

Ronald E. Graham

May 17, 1991, 3:35:44 PM5/17/91
In article <McAySnC00...@andrew.cmu.edu>, st...@andrew.cmu.edu
(Steven Timm) writes...

>To the list of Christian jazz musicians we should probably add Chuck

>Mangione and his band. [...]

I like Chuck Mangione, just like lots of folks. But I think sometimes you
guys are reaching, just to get names to fill out a list. Here are several
competent Christian jazz artists I posted once before, who did not make any
list, and are not a reach:

James Vincent
Fletch Wiley
James Ward
Jeff Johnson
Andrae Crouch
Bob & Pauline Wilson (and Seawind)

Phil Keaggy has done *some* jazz, and whenever he does it, it's all competent
and all Christian.

I guess Phil Driscoll and Koinonia are on just about everybody's list.

And, for the benefit of those who have not looked into this one, the artist
that IMPO is the finest Christian jazz artist today:

Paul Clark!!!!!

RG

"I wish all the Lord's people were prophets, and had his Spirit on them!"
- Moses, in Numbers 11:29

dr...@sif.claremont.edu

May 18, 1991, 1:33:29 AM5/18/91
(Steven Timm) writes:
> To the list of Christian jazz musicians we should probably add ...

How about Take 6?

Remember- Vocal Jazz is a beautiful art form, and in many ways is more related
to "Jazz" as it was conceived than pure instrumental jazz.

IMHO.
-Dave Ruiz | "Music is my one true love,
dr...@hmcvax.claremont.edu | I only do math to survive..."
dr...@hmcvax.bitnet | ASA: 30 credits down, 170 to go...

Thomas Blake

May 21, 1991, 5:57:52 PM5/21/91

I'm quite certain Mangione released an albulm by that name. (Years ago).

Tom Blake
SUNY-Binghamton

Dan Rittersdorf

May 22, 1991, 9:12:05 AM5/22/91

You're absolutely right. I don't recall whether it was a double disk
or not, but I seem to remember it that way. I had a roommate in college
that owned the album, and I think I only listened to it once, but it
was very good -- The sort of music you put on low, then relax in a
beanbag chair while you melt...

I remember Mangione on the cover, looking into the distance wearing a
poncho. Lots of sand and golden colors.

Of course, that was six or seven years ago, and I may be quite deluded
about the cover, but the album by that name *does* exist. Of that I
am sure.

-danr
Dan Rittersdorf da...@travis.ssd.csd.harris.com
Harris Corporation, Computer Systems Division, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
-Won by One

gfk...@gmail.com

May 9, 2018, 2:48:24 PM5/9/18
Carlos Santana has spoken and shared many times in a way that seemed he was a Christian artist. I have read things he posted on FB and other places that lead me to believe that.

brendacrave...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2019, 1:07:20 AM4/7/19
I am a Child of God who happens to write and compose jazz instrumentals. I also have a few pieces out with vocals as well. I call my music inspirational because that’s what it does...it inspires and it is relaxing. I am an independent artist and not mainstream, but if you would
like to add me to your list, you can reach me through my website at brendacravenmelody.com. Thanks!

lado...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2020, 7:50:16 AM7/14/20
Kirk Walum
George Duke
Eric Marenthal
Ben Tankard
Larry Carlton

Kyle j.D.

Nov 15, 2020, 8:46:30 AM11/15/20
Ronald E. Graham wrote:

> I like Chuck Mangione, just like lots of folks. But I think sometimes you
> guys are reaching, just to get names to fill out a list. Here are several
> competent Christian jazz artists I posted once before, who did not make any
> list, and are not a reach:
> James Vincent
> Fletch Wiley
> James Ward
> Jeff Johnson
> Andrae Crouch
> Bob & Pauline Wilson (and Seawind)
> Phil Keaggy has done *some* jazz, and whenever he does it, it's all competent
> and all Christian.
> I guess Phil Driscoll and Koinonia are on just about everybody's list.
> And, for the benefit of those who have not looked into this one, the artist
> that IMPO is the finest Christian jazz artist today:
>
> Paul Clark!!!!!
> RG
> "I wish all the Lord's people were prophets, and had his Spirit on them!"
> - Moses, in Numbers 11:29

Most people write their lists with the best, obvious choices at the top, but Jesus said the first will be last, and here we see it. ;)