"YES"...Christian band members?

Karl Boersma

Dec 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/14/95
I have heard in the past that Yes has a couple of band members who are
Christians. Since the break up of the band I have seen keyboardist Rick
Wakeman on the 700 Club. I have also heard that Jon Anderson and Bill
Bruford are Christians.

Just curious if anyone else has heard this?

Paul D. Race

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
In article <4aq83j$s...@sulaco.novagate.com> Karl Boersma <kboe...@novagate.com> writes:
>From: Karl Boersma <kboe...@novagate.com>
>Subject: "YES"...Christian band members?
>Date: 14 Dec 1995 22:22:43 GMT

Unless Jon has converted VERY recently, I wouldn't include him in any lists of
"cool-rockers-who-have-converted-to-Christ." Jon's always been into religious
things, especially eastern religions, so he can sometimes come up with lyrics
that might make you think he's describing a spiritual experience, while he
might really be delving into some Buddhist myth or something.

In the early '70s Christians who couldn't find much music they liked on the
Christian radio often went hunting for "streams of white light from darkened
corners," identifying first one, then another, rocker as a Born Again
Christian, based on spiritual-sounding lyrics alone, not based on lifestyle or
personal confession of the singers. James Taylor, Leon Russell, Kris
Kristoferson, Jackson Browne, Eric Clapton, and others were subject to this
premature canonization, and in some cases, made a special point of proving
they weren't Christians (by lifestyle and by public interview) just to keep
this kind of wishful thinking from accidentally remaking their public
image. Larry Norman devoted an entire record album (Streams of White Light)
to the phenomenon. The liner notes alone are worth the price of the album.
(On the other hand the MUSIC on the album is not worth the price of
the album, unless you have a great sense of humor.) Altogether the whole
thing shows how people would rather think with their emotions than with their
heads. Wishful thinking is NOT faith, surprise, surprise.

The more things change the more things remain the same. Today, all I have to
do is make some claim like "Three of the members of Metallica are now saved,"
and the poor guys would have to spend the rest of their lives explaining it
ain't so. (BTW, this is an example only, please don't tell your friends you
saw this on the internet and give rise to a new round of groundless rumors.)

Now, I think it would be great if members of Metallica or Smashing Pumpkins or
whoever got saved. But there's a difference between a multitude of angels
rejoicing in heaven over one repentant sinner and a multitude of deluded
Christians in earth spreading groundless rumors.

You would think that a church that is supposed to be so dependent on the
written Word would pay less attention to rumors and hoaxes.

:-(

Dave Waldschmidt

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
Karl Boersma <kboe...@novagate.com> wrote:

>I have heard in the past that Yes has a couple of band members who are
>Christians. Since the break up of the band I have seen keyboardist Rick
>Wakeman on the 700 Club. I have also heard that Jon Anderson and Bill
>Bruford are Christians.
>
>Just curious if anyone else has heard this?

Jon Anderson made a really cool Christmas album called "Three Ships" a few
years back. (Not that this is proof positive that he is a Christian).

Dave Waldschmidt

Security Electronics Systems

Dec 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/15/95
Karl Boersma <kboe...@novagate.com> writes:

>I have heard in the past that Yes has a couple of band members who are
>Christians. Since the break up of the band I have seen keyboardist Rick
>Wakeman on the 700 Club. I have also heard that Jon Anderson and Bill
>Bruford are Christians.

Wakeman, possibly. Anderson's stuff is pretty new-agey to be considered
Christian.

--
Kurt Duncan | Chief pinhead dinosaur | "Colloquially expressed,
Security Electronics | in charge of enforcing | but essentially correct"

Hazel10514

Dec 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/17/95
Rick Wakeman is definately a believer, he has put out 2 albums of music
with his wife reading scriptures over the music, very inspirational. I
recently picked up a copy of Yes`s latest CD 'TALK' released in 94. I
believe it to be one of thier most inspired and dynamic records to date.
Ranks up there with Fragile.My big question is are they really broken up?

Buzz Lightyear

Dec 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/20/95
In <4aq83j$s...@sulaco.novagate.com> Karl Boersma

<kboe...@novagate.com> writes:

>I have heard in the past that Yes has a couple of band members who are

>Christians. Since the break up of the band I have seen keyboardist
Rick
>Wakeman on the 700 Club. I have also heard that Jon Anderson and Bill

>Bruford are Christians.
>

>Just curious if anyone else has heard this?

Wakeman indeed is a Christian. He has a CD out on ASAPH. It's somewhat
cool. His wife reads scripture over his keyboard playing. I don't know
about Bruford (except that he's an incredible drummer), but the last I
heard about Anderson was that he was totally immersed in new age
philosophy.
NiCk
m u s t a r d s e e d

lazarus

Dec 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/22/95
>Unless Jon has converted VERY recently, I wouldn't include him in any lists
>of "cool-rockers-who-have-converted-to-Christ." Jon's always been into
>religious things, especially eastern religions, so he can sometimes come up
>with lyrics that might make you think he's describing a spiritual
>experience, while he might really be delving into some Buddhist myth or
>something.

You mean like his Christmas album "Three Ships?". Nice thing about that
particular one, is that I couldn't find any "Santy Claws" songs on it. It's
been a while since I listened to it, but I seem to remember about half the
songs were traditional, and half were new ones he made.

I also remember him saying on a radio show that "some of the band members
are Christian" although he did not explicitly say that he was.

Jon is what I would call 'very spiritual', yes, and one could see where
some of the confusion could creep in. "Holy Lamb" from "Big Generator"
is a very beautiful song which can be applied to Christian living. It is
however (as the subtitle indicates) a song for "the harmonic convergence".

However, Jon was not the question, Yes was. And yes, some of them are. As
a band, this DOES prevent them from brainless, "baby baby" and "satan wants
your body" songs and their Christian "influence" does come through. I belive
"washed in blood" from their last album is not about a blood bath for
instance...

-Laz

P.S. Simply because a song is not on a Christian label, or from a Christian
band, does not preclude it from being uplifting for you in your Christian
life.

>You would think that a church that is supposed to be so dependent on the
>written Word would pay less attention to rumors and hoaxes.

This begs for a response, but r.m.c is unfortunately not the place for it...

Jeff Hailey

Dec 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/23/95
laz...@wonder.ca (lazarus) wrote:

> However, Jon was not the question, Yes was. And yes, some of them are. As
> a band, this DOES prevent them from brainless, "baby baby" and "satan wants
> your body" songs and their Christian "influence" does come through. I belive
> "washed in blood" from their last album is not about a blood bath for
> instance...
>
> -Laz
>
> P.S. Simply because a song is not on a Christian label, or from a Christian
> band, does not preclude it from being uplifting for you in your Christian
> life.

Amen...

I find know other religion that says. "you gotta' be washed in the blood".
I think we are seing some Christian influence resurrecting itself on Union.

I find bands like Yes and Kansas very intriguing. For instance, Kerry Livgren
primary song writer for Kansas for most of their catalog said. 'he couldn't
recant any of the things he said in Kansas before his post conversion of
1979, because he was on a spiritual Quest'. (not a direct quote-please see
book Seeds Of Change) Dust In The Wind sums that quest up quite profoundly.

The Rocker777

ty...@laportecountyrealty.com

Apr 30, 2019, 12:10:15 PM4/30/19
On Friday, December 15, 1995 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Dave Waldschmidt wrote:
> Karl Boersma <kboe...@novagate.com> wrote:
>
> >I have heard in the past that Yes has a couple of band members who are
> >Christians. Since the break up of the band I have seen keyboardist Rick
> >Wakeman on the 700 Club. I have also heard that Jon Anderson and Bill
> >Bruford are Christians.
> >
> >Just curious if anyone else has heard this?
>
> Jon Anderson made a really cool Christmas album called "Three Ships" a few
> years back. (Not that this is proof positive that he is a Christian).
>
> Dave Waldschmidt

NO, not at all. That is proof of an artist capitalizing on a holiday, no more of a Christian than the Jewish song writers that composed Many Many Christmas songs for profit.

Reese Bagwell

Dec 4, 2023, 7:12:36 PM12/4/23

Wakeman is definitely a believer: https://www.crossrhythms.co.uk/articles/music/Rick_Wakeman_The_prog_rock_veteran_on_music_and_faith/40132/p2/