NEWSBOYS' JOHN JAMES LEAVES BAND TO PURSUE OTHER ENDEAVORS

Zane

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

A Boy Won't Be (With) Boyz

(Reprint of Press Release)

NEWSBOYS' JOHN JAMES LEAVES BAND TO PURSUE OTHER ENDEAVORS

NASHVILLE, TN. - John James, a founding member of Star Song/Virgin
Recording Artists the Newsboys recently announced he will leave the
     Grammy-nominated and gold-selling group to pursue new professional
     endeavors.

     "I have been a member of Newsboys since the beginning, and although
     it's tough to leave what has been such an enormous part of my life,
     feel God is calling me to move on and focus in a new direction of
     writing and speaking," commented James, who will continue to be
     managed by First Company Management.  "I have enjoyed the past
twelve
     years, and am so grateful for everything.  I also appreciate the
     kindness and support the rest of the band has shown me in this
     difficult decision."

     Band leader Peter Furler, who has been sharing lead vocals with
James,
     will leave his drums for the up front slot in the band.   Phil Joel
     and Jody Davis have also begun sharing lead vocals on a number of
     songs.  Percussionist Duncan Phillips has taken over playing
drums.
     The group used this line-up during their recent successful European
     tour,  as well as when they made Christian music history November 1
at
     the Houston Astrodome, playing to a crowd of more than 33,000 -
     reported to be the largest ticketed Christian concert ever.

     "It's like losing a family member, having John leave the band,"
     commented Furler. "We've been friends for nearly half our lives,
and
     will remain so. I have to admit that I'll miss having him around on
     the road and as a part of the band.  However, we definitely want
God's
     best for him and his family, and support him fully in his
decision."

     "John James has served the Newsboys and their fans faithfully.  It
was
     a joy to work with him, and Star Song will miss him," said Peter
York,
     president of Sparrow Communications Group, which operates the Star
     Song label.  "I admire his desire to seek God's plans for his life
and
     to courageously seek a new direction."

     Star Song and Virgin records will simultaneously release Newsboys
new
     studio project worldwide in March 1998.  Newsboys will support the
     record by launching a 160+ city world tour in September 1998, which
     will run through May 1999. The band received its first gold
     certification from the Recording Industry Association of America
     (RIAA) earlier this year for its latest recording Take Me To Your
     Leader.

     "Newsboys have proven through the years that difficult times only
make
     them work harder, and challenge them to continue to put their total
     faith and trust in God," stated manager Wes Campbell of First
Company
     Management. "We believe fully that not only will this next phase in
     John's life be a great opportunity for him, but that the best years
     for Newsboys also lie ahead."

Submitted by: co...@fairding.com

--

Zane.

za...@cyberdude.com
http://zane.home.ml.org/

Brendt Waters

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

OK, so now we know who's doing what vocal-wise and instrument-wise.
But who's going to dress like a baked potato? :-)

Phil Robinson

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

Brendt Waters wrote:

> OK, so now we know who's doing what vocal-wise and instrument-wise.
> But who's going to dress like a baked potato? :-)

i guess peter will have to take on the "extravagant dressing"
responsibilities now that he'll be out front. i've only seen the
nesboys live once, but from where i was sitting, you could have
dressed them both in the "baked potato" suit and i wouldn't have known
the difference anyways.

- phil
(whose newly acquired broken elbow accounts for the lack of
capital letters in the above message)
--
"This world has nothing for me and this world has everything
All that I could want and nothing that I need." - Caedmon's Call

Chuck Pearson

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

Phil Robinson (ph...@followup.com) wrote:
: - phil

: (whose newly acquired broken elbow accounts for the lack of
: capital letters in the above message)

dang. and here i thought someone was catching on to the cool way to
type...8-)

chuck [who reserves capital letters only for special occasions.]
--
[thanx to douglas giancoli.]
if music be the food of physics, play on.

Phil Robinson

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

Chuck Pearson wrote:

> Phil Robinson (ph...@followup.com) wrote:
> : - phil
> : (whose newly acquired broken elbow accounts for the lack of
> : capital letters in the above message)
>
> dang. and here i thought someone was catching on to the cool way to
> type...8-)

chuck, i don't think i ever have (or ever will be) referred to as
"cool". sorry.

i usually try to use proper english, spelling, and punctuation in my
e-mail. something to do with having *very* strict english teachers in
high school and college. old habits die hard. but i'm trying. :)

> chuck [who reserves capital letters only for special occasions.]

- phil (who is more than a little embarrassed that he broke his
elbow while playing basketball - and wasn't even trying
to dunk, either!)

Chuck Pearson

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

Phil Robinson (ph...@followup.com) wrote in response to me:
: > : (whose newly acquired broken elbow accounts for the lack of

: > : capital letters in the above message)

: > dang. and here i thought someone was catching on to the cool way to
: > type...8-)

: chuck, i don't think i ever have (or ever will be) referred to as
: "cool". sorry.

well, we's gotta work on you, then. since this is r.m.c, you can start by
getting your hands on sixpence none the richer's new album. 8-)

: i usually try to use proper english, spelling, and punctuation in my

: e-mail. something to do with having *very* strict english teachers in
: high school and college. old habits die hard. but i'm trying. :)

hey, you had strict english teachers in high school and college as well?
why aren't you rebelling against them? bwahahahahahhaha...

: - phil (who is more than a little embarrassed that he broke his

: elbow while playing basketball - and wasn't even trying
: to dunk, either!)

we can't all be jordan, bro. 8-)

chuck

Phil Robinson

Dec 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/18/97

Chuck Pearson wrote:

> Phil Robinson (ph...@followup.com) wrote in response to me:
[snip]

> : chuck, i don't think i ever have (or ever will be) referred to as
> : "cool". sorry.
>
> well, we's gotta work on you, then. since this is r.m.c, you can
> start by getting your hands on sixpence none the richer's new
> album. 8-)

after seeing all the talk around here about it, i've come "this close"
to getting it [holds thumb and forefinger - of my good arm, mind you -
about an inch apart]. but, i'm still trying to get psyched-up to get
some older stuff i really, *really* want on CD (queensryche's the
warning & rage for order and king's x's gretchen & faith, hope, love,
just to name a few). my cassettes have just about had it.

> : i usually try to use proper english, spelling, and punctuation in
> : my e-mail. something to do with having *very* strict english
> : teachers in high school and college. old habits die hard. but i'm
> : trying. :)
>
> hey, you had strict english teachers in high school and college as
> well? why aren't you rebelling against them? bwahahahahahhaha...

ok, i'll try ... [sees swirling visions of split infinitives, dangling
participles, incomplete sentences ...] ... no, stop! i can't take the
pain! agony!

oh, well ... i tried. :)

> : - phil (who is more than a little embarrassed that he broke his
> : elbow while playing basketball - and wasn't even trying
> : to dunk, either!)
>
> we can't all be jordan, bro. 8-)

tell me about it. i can't even be spud webb ... and i'm 6'3"!

> chuck

- phil "There's a little geek in all of us."
ZDTV ad (http://www.zdtv.com)

CDS

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97

This is what happens when you get older and can't sing anymore. John
shouldn't be to hard to replace. All they have to do is find someone
who is good at looking like they can sing, and then never turn on their
microphone. After all, that is all John did in concert.

The last 2 times I saw the Newsboys I spent the entire time watching
John to see if it was live or memorex, and I am convinced without a
doubt, it was dubbed in. I was having a hard time believing that he was
singing so perfect the whole time and never missing a note. Until
towards the end of the concert, when John was singing a slower song,
(they must of accidently turned on his mike, or there was no tape to dub
in), he was way off tune, and sounded terrible. Fortunately for
everyone in the crowd, they must have turned the mike back off, cause
the next few songs were note perfect again.

Needless to say, I couldn't decide if I felt ripped off or not. On one
hand, if I could have saved the $$ from the ticket, and stayed home and
listened to the CD for free. After all they were musically the same.
But on the other hand, it was a great concert show, and I was impressed
by the bucks that must have went into the stage setup. If the Newsboys
would give away half of the money they had invested in the last concert
tour, they could feed a small country.

Did anyone else notice this?

Chad
from Ohio

Jose Crespo

Dec 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/22/97
What's the difference. Peter Furler practically sang the entire last
album. He's great live and everything. But honestly, Peter Furler
taking over the Mike and Having Duncan do all the drums is no lost. I
just hope they still do that Double Drummer thingnie during shows still!
vcard.vcf

Jerry B. Ray

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

In article <349F0D14...@bright.net>, CDS <the...@bright.net> wrote:

>This is what happens when you get older and can't sing anymore.

He sounds pretty much the same as always to me, and I've seen them
dozens of times since 1989 or so.

JRjr
--
%%%%% vap...@prism.gatech.edu %%%%%%%% Jerry B. Ray, Jr. %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month.

I'm Clifford Today

Mar 6, 2023, 6:05:15 PM3/6/23
I know this is a long shot. But does anyone happen know the original source of where I can find this press release?