What happend to Barde?

Tom Quinn

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
I was just listening to some old tapes and and ran across one of my favorite
groups "Barde". The tape was made from a record years ago and has no
information about them. Anyone know about them? Were any of their records
remade into CD's?

Thanks,
Tom

Jack Hickman

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Tom:

Whatever other stirling qualities you may possess, you certainly have good
taste in folk music. Barde is also one of my all time favourite groups.

Somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my home I have their album, and can
picture these four individuals very clearly, but unfortunately can not
rememb er their names. They operated out of Montreal, and the group
consisted of two Irishmen and two Quebecois, and they could perform equally
well in either French or English.

Unfortunately, they disbanded several years ago, a great loss to the Celtic
folk community, and I have never seen any indication that their material is
available on CD. If so, I would certainly be in the market.

If I can find the album I referred to above, I will post the information.

Keep the Faith.

Jack Hickman
Kingston, Ontario

A. Best

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Pierre Guérin was oneof the original members. He is reachable through the
Folk Alliance http://www.folk.org

Nigel Gatherer

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Jack Hickman wrote:

[re Barde]

> ...I have their album...

I used to have a tape of one of their albums, and excellent it was too. In
fact they made at least three records. I remember a comment about their
third album which they produced themselves. My informant said the choice
of music was "disastrous". I only ever heard the one LP, though, so I
can't provide personal opinion.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Edinburgh
gath...@argonet.co.uk

Barrie McCombs

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
Our local chapter of Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann plays the Barde tune
"Jack McGann" regularly. I believe that Jack was Chris Crilly's
grandfater.

- Barrie

Barrie McCombs, MD, CCFP, CCFP(EM)
Director, Medical Information Service
University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Telephone: 403-220-8551
Fax: 403-270-7285
Email: bmcc...@ucalgary.ca
Website: http://www.ruralnet.ab.ca/medinfo/

AIKUNTZ

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99

<<Our local chapter of Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann plays the Barde tune
"Jack McGann" regularly>>

I thought "Jack McGann" was a reel composed by N.H. fiddler Rodney Miller--is
it the same tune??

Andrew Kuntz

me...@skyway.usask.ca

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
In a previous article, "Tom Quinn" <tom....@mail.com> wrote:
>I was just listening to some old tapes and and ran across one of my favorite
>groups "Barde". The tape was made from a record years ago and has no
>information about them. Anyone know about them? Were any of their records
>remade into CD's?
>
>Thanks,
>Tom

Apparently there is some disagreement among former group members
what should go on a "best of" CD -- that's where it rests at the
moment.
chris

me...@skyway.usask.ca

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99
The 3rd one was called "Voyage" -- it was a disaster. By that time
they had a violin player (rather than fiddler) -IMHO that's what really
killed their sound.
chris

Tom Coxworth

Jan 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/26/99

Heres some information that may assist in the Barde discussion.....

Barde imploded after three albums( Barde 1977, Image 1978,on Polydor,
and Voyage 1980(?)
on le tamanoir ) and a piece of musical theatre Diableries &
Violoneriers 1979 on Select )
that ended up being a Barde album under anothe name.

The band has made several conversations about releasing these French
Celtic
treasures but because of the various lineup changes and ... shall we
say an inability to get beyond the past....nothing has come out yet.
The mainstay..or should I say the last one left standing was Pierre
Guerin...he
the same who is the artist director of the Winnipeg Folk Festival.
The ablum Voyage was made in the dying gasps of the group.
Pierre did a good job with what was left, and the recording is not
without merit.

I did a 'French program' this past summer and inverview Pierre about the
scene in Quebec at that time.

If you want to find other groups of the Fench Celtic tradition..try
Logarou, Garoulou, Heritage(produced by Stan Rogers), 1755,
there was a very vibrant real Celtic scene during the 70's and early
part of the 80's...oh yeh...try and find some Cano...their first two
albums are out on CD..Au Nord a Notre Vie is brilliant.....

Tom Coxworth
Producer/Folk Routes
The CKUA Radio NEtwork

Michael Condon

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
to Tom Quinn
Tom,
Michael Shaffran has these copies at:
http://www.recordorium.com/british.html

2982. Barde S/T Direction Canada 1977 EX/EX $ 14
7965. Barde S/T Direction Canada 1977 EX+/EX+ $ 16
7966. Barde S/T Direction Canada 1977 EX+/EX $ 15
2304. Barde Images Flying Fish U.S.A. 1978 cc str. tr. EX-/EX+ $ 4

Don't know nothing about no CD's

Mike

chip...@eastlink.ca

Jul 18, 2016, 10:56:53 AM7/18/16
On Saturday, 23 January 1999 03:00:00 UTC-5, A. Best wrote:
> Pierre Guérin was oneof the original members. He is reachable through the
> Folk Alliance http://www.folk.org

Richard Chapman : mandoline, banjo, dulcimer, guitare, voix
Toby Cinnsealac (Kinsella) : flûte irlandaise, flûte à bec, os, bodhràn. Il est décédé en Irlande en janvier 2009.
Pierre Guérin : accordéon, guitare, concertina, flûte à bec, voix
Chris MacRaghallaigh (Crilly) : violon, bodhran, tambourin, voix
Ed Moore : bodhràn, os, flûte irlandaise, concertina, glockenspiel
Elliot Selick : violon, banjo, flûte irlandaise (1975 - vers 1982)
Jacques Joubert : violon (1983)
Richard Paquette : claviers (1983)
Jocelyn Therrien : basse (1983)

quent...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2018, 12:11:21 PM1/16/18
On Saturday, January 23, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Tom Quinn wrote:
> I was just listening to some old tapes and and ran across one of my favorite
> groups "Barde". The tape was made from a record years ago and has no
> information about them. Anyone know about them? Were any of their records
> remade into CD's?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

I realize I'm 18 years late but ..... the 1st two Barde albums are available on CD at Aamazon. I engineered and co-produced those albums and the CDs were created from the safety masters which I had kept and then digitized. The mastering was done by a talented guy at the National Film Board in Mtl and the results are good. Enjoy!

Barde
https://www.amazon.com/Barde/dp/B008LYE6H0/ref=sr_1_6?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1516120463&sr=1-6&refinements=p_32%3ABarde

Barde Images
https://www.amazon.com/Images-Barde/dp/B008LYFEG2/ref=pd_bxgy_15_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008LYFEG2&pd_rd_r=4BJVHW3X60XYE16RYX7W&pd_rd_w=E7OkA&pd_rd_wg=Hjv5J&psc=1&refRID=4BJVHW3X60XYE16RYX7W

ccr...@gmail.com

May 14, 2018, 10:26:36 PM5/14/18
On Saturday, January 23, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Tom Quinn wrote:
> I was just listening to some old tapes and and ran across one of my favorite
> groups "Barde". The tape was made from a record years ago and has no
> information about them. Anyone know about them? Were any of their records
> remade into CD's?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

It's good to hear all this positive feedback about the group after all these years. Thank you all for your enthusiasm. Vive la musique!
Chris Crilly (Mác Rághallaigh)

drbob...@gmail.com

May 18, 2019, 5:07:26 PM5/18/19
The first two albums (Barde, Images) are available on CD and for download and streaming from Amazon. Voyage is posted on YouTube in its entirety.

The band disbanded after a performance at the Winnipeg Folk Festival when leader Pierre Guérin moved to St. Boniface/Winnipeg to marry his prairie lady (mentioned on the album Voyage) and later directed the festival. He now works for the French arm of Radio Canada.

Chris Crilly

Aug 18, 2021, 2:24:48 PM8/18/21
Ahem, it's actually "Jack McCann" not "McGann". Written by Chris Crilly of Barde in 1972.
I am flattered to bits that a Comhaltas outfit should see fit to play my tune. Thank you. Jack McCann was my mother's father.
It is his fiddle that I play. I thought it good juju to name the first tune I wrote for the instrument after the old rogue.