Howard Shore lifted the key soundtrack theme for Lord of the Rings?

Richard J Kinch

Dec 5, 2001, 3:55:08 AM12/5/01
It sounds like Howard Shore lifted the key soundtrack theme for the movie
_Fellowship of the Ring_ directly (and perhaps unwittingly) from the old
English melody Terra Beata, also known as Terra Patris.

Here's a MIDI file of Terra Beata to listen to:

http://www.ccel.org/cceh/0001/000155b.mid

And a score to read:

http://www.ccel.org/cceh/0001/000155a.pdf

Compare this to the A-part of the recurring theme in "Concerning Hobbits"
(2nd track in the soundtrack album) and elsewhere.

The popular Christian hymn, "This is My Father's World" is set to Terra
Beata. This is widely sung today and the movie theme is a jarring match to
the opening phrases. My kids noticed it instantly. I am astonished that
no one in the whole lavish soundtrack production crew didn't recognize
this.

Patrick Moore

Dec 5, 2001, 10:16:52 AM12/5/01
nob...@nowhere.com (Richard J Kinch) wrote in message news:<916E28C2Bso...@216.166.71.230>...

> It sounds like Howard Shore lifted the key soundtrack theme for the movie
> _Fellowship of the Ring_ directly (and perhaps unwittingly) from the old
> English melody Terra Beata, also known as Terra Patris.
>
> Here's a MIDI file of Terra Beata to listen to:
>
> http://www.ccel.org/cceh/0001/000155b.mid
>
> And a score to read:
>
> http://www.ccel.org/cceh/0001/000155a.pdf
>
> Compare this to the A-part of the recurring theme in "Concerning Hobbits"
> (2nd track in the soundtrack album) and elsewhere.
>
> The popular Christian hymn, "This is My Father's World" is set to Terra
> Beata.

You're right. I haven't been able to get "This is My Father's World"
out of my head since I got the soundtrack. Unfortunately, I still
remember pretty much all the words from all those years ago, and it
just keeps echoing round and round the huge empty spaces between my
ears......

Damn that Howard Shore.....

John Harkness

Dec 5, 2001, 10:57:45 AM12/5/01
On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 08:55:08 GMT, nob...@nowhere.com (Richard J Kinch)
wrote:

>It sounds like Howard Shore lifted the key soundtrack theme for the movie
>_Fellowship of the Ring_ directly (and perhaps unwittingly) from the old
>English melody Terra Beata, also known as Terra Patris.

So? Old English melodies would certainly seem an appropriate source
for a movie based on Tolkien

John Harkness

dwp

Dec 5, 2001, 2:29:12 PM12/5/01
Just wondering....

El McMeen

Dec 5, 2001, 3:23:49 PM12/5/01

"dwp" <nosl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just wondering....

only the good ones...<:)

Library Guy

Dec 5, 2001, 4:07:18 PM12/5/01

>> Just wondering....
>
>only the good ones...<:)

And I've heard that you can pick up some really bad ones in the pubs!

Library Guy

Calvin Rice

Dec 5, 2001, 6:34:04 PM12/5/01
nob...@nowhere.com (Richard J Kinch) wrote in message news:<916E28C2Bso...@216.166.71.230>...
> It sounds like Howard Shore lifted the key soundtrack theme for the movie
> _Fellowship of the Ring_ directly (and perhaps unwittingly) from the old
> English melody Terra Beata, also known as Terra Patris.

That's not all. What seems to be the main Fellowship theme, based on
hearing the soundtrack CD, is the same as the song in Cat Ballou, sung by
Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye, "They can never make her cry". If you
rent the video to check on it, go to about 45 min into the film.

-cr

Duncan L. Armstrong

Dec 5, 2001, 9:07:54 PM12/5/01
"Calvin Rice" <os...@netscape.net> wrote in message

And you know what else?? The theme for Sauron sounds just like Smells Like
Teen Spirits!! Naughty Howard Shore......

=)

Dunc

Mark

Dec 5, 2001, 9:38:03 PM12/5/01
"dwp" <nosl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<cAuP7.118345$YD.98...@news2.aus1.giganews.com>...
> Just wondering....
I think that Tolkien modeled much of Middle Earth on the landscape of
Wales, but I don't know if that extends to hobbits themselves - the
Shire seems pretty low-key English to me. . .

Relayer

Dec 6, 2001, 1:49:32 AM12/6/01
nob...@nowhere.com (Richard J Kinch) wrote in message

> The popular Christian hymn, "This is My Father's World" is set to Terra
> Beata. This is widely sung today and the movie theme is a jarring match to
> the opening phrases. My kids noticed it instantly. I am astonished that
> no one in the whole lavish soundtrack production crew didn't recognize
> this.

Yes, quite interesting, although it only sounds like it for a bar or
so, the rest is completely different.

Calvin Rice

Dec 6, 2001, 4:57:28 AM12/6/01
"Duncan L. Armstrong" <m...@dunkyboy.com> wrote in message news:<9umjum$9fejq$1...@ID-97016.news.dfncis.de>...

> And you know what else?? The theme for Sauron sounds just like Smells Like
> Teen Spirits!! Naughty Howard Shore......

Yeah, let's not be squeamish about plagiarism, intended or not.
We're here to generate money for Howard Shore and Peter Jackson.

-cr

David Kilpatrick

Dec 6, 2001, 8:17:35 AM12/6/01
dwp wrote:

> Just wondering....

They appear to be Anglo-Saxon. Tolkien was not all that keen on celtic
stuff. He related totally to his nordic ancestry, Scandinavian
mythology, Anglo-Saxon through to Middle English. Hobbits are the most
'English' of his creations and his own location for the Shire is a
little bit south of Birmingham and north of Oxford; not all that
romantic, actually, very much the England of newly thatched cottages
with staddle-stone mushrooms each side of the driveway.

His geography doesn't really feel as if it ever included an analog Wales
or Scotland, but about the most Celtic he gets is the episode with Tom
Bombadil, the Barrow Wight, and Frodo's nightmare ('the men of Carn Dûm'
etc - the 'carn' in this is firmly celtic in sound). So it looks as if
his Celtic age or location belongs off the northern end of the map and
involves the Witch-King of Arnor, etc, or belongs in the distant past.

The Elves have a slightly Mediterranean feel to them, with identifiable
Latin roots in their language, and would have been at home in the Italy
of Frazer's Golden Bough speculations. Tolkien admitted that Mordor was
most likely to be around the Balkans if the Shire was England.

Although the film/cartoons/etc make Hobbits look very Irish or (being
kind) Pictish, that's inevitable to get the right message over
worldwide; they have to be cast to a stereotype, and the leprechaun is
an easy choice. Most of their characteristics fit that image too, but
only because we have forgotten that it was also the image of the English
yeoman and cottar of the 16th-17th century. Will Kemp, when he described
his jig from London to Norwich, gave a glimpse of countryfolk turning
out along the way who would be very much at home in Tolkien's Shire. The
factual Irish or Scots of the same period were altogether wilder and not
hobbit-like at all (even Tooks). It's only the tendency of the celtic
nations to be 'back in time' to a degree which could make the Shire feel
more like the Scotland or Ireland (or Wales) or today, than like
England. But even when Tolkien wrote the book/s, England was different,
and the countryfolk would have been more like hobbits. Today, they just
don't exist.

Hobbits not celtic; Tolkien not a great celtophile; his Scandinavian
ancestors did indeed have many roots in common with the western seabord
celts and celtic music had borrowed a lot from that area. Much of what
we now call celtic music is actually just old music and was just as
common in England as Scotland or Ireland 300 years ago. So celtic music
is appropriate.

As someone first given a copy of the Hobbit in 1960 at the age of eight,
by my eldest brother who was at Oxford and had met Tolkien, the current
film thing looks set to ruin a lot of personal relationships with the
books even though it also looks absolutely brilliant from the trailers
and stuff seen so far. I will have to see it, but that will mean saying
goodbye to an extremely comprehensive and complex 'mind map' of his
world and visualisations of hundreds, maybe thousands, of scenes or individuals.

David

Mike reverse the letters S.

Dec 7, 2001, 3:09:40 PM12/7/01

I've always wondered if this is the same Howard Shore that played flute in
Lighthouse, the great Canadian jazz-rock band of the 1970's.

Ronald O. Christian

Dec 7, 2001, 4:34:00 PM12/7/01
On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 15:57:45 GMT, j...@attcanada.ca (John Harkness)
wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 08:55:08 GMT, nob...@nowhere.com (Richard J Kinch)
>wrote:
>
>>It sounds like Howard Shore lifted the key soundtrack theme for the movie
>>_Fellowship of the Ring_ directly (and perhaps unwittingly) from the old
>>English melody Terra Beata, also known as Terra Patris.
>>

>So? Old English melodies would certainly seem an appropriate source
>for a movie based on Tolkien

Or even, based on his stories. :-)

Ron
www.europa.com/~ronc
"If UN peacekeeping had been involved during the US civil war,
it'd still be going on today."

John Harkness

Dec 7, 2001, 6:45:30 PM12/7/01
On 7 Dec 2001 20:09:40 GMT, rets...@xinap.moc (Mike "reverse the
letters" S.) wrote:

>I've always wondered if this is the same Howard Shore that played flute in
>Lighthouse, the great Canadian jazz-rock band of the 1970's.

One fine morning boy you'll wake up, and learn how to use the imdb.

In a word, yes.

John Harkness

Dawn Taylor

Dec 8, 2001, 1:00:41 PM12/8/01
letters" S.) wrote:

>I've always wondered if this is the same Howard Shore that played flute in
>Lighthouse, the great Canadian jazz-rock band of the 1970's.

Quite likely. He's Canadian -- he scored Cronenberg's early films. He
also did some work with Paul Shaeffer on SNL, if I remember correctly.

Dawn
(and we all know about SNL's liberal policy towards Canadians)

------------
Dawn Taylor
DVD Journal/Portland Tribune
dta...@commnewspapers.com

Mark Reichert

Dec 10, 2001, 12:34:12 PM12/10/01
"John Harkness" <j...@attcanada.ca> wrote in message

> One fine morning boy you'll wake up, and learn how to use the imdb.

I keep singing the praises of imdb (and Google). Someday it will sink in.

Achbar ibn Ali

Dec 20, 2001, 4:44:07 PM12/20/01
On Wed, 05 Dec 2001 19:29:12 GMT, "dwp" <nosl...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Just wondering....

Yes they are

James

Maynard R. Johnson

Dec 23, 2001, 9:18:13 AM12/23/01

Actually, I believe JRR Tolkein was not particularly enamored of Celtic
lore, but more taken with Norse sagas.

Although in the 1960's, hobbits were "flower power hippies", and in the
1990's they got to be sort of "New Age".

The Enya music does fit well into the movie though.
--
Maynard Johnson
Kitchen Musician WWW Site

Sue Quick

Dec 23, 2001, 1:21:22 PM12/23/01

Certainly not. They are Brummies. The entire Lord of the Rings cycle was
inspired by the impending demolition of a watermill in a village near
Birmingham (UK). In the event, the mill was saved. The pessimistic and
offhandedly racist view of the world espoused by Tolkien originated
purely from a pre First World War view of how society should be.

Paul Burke