how to pronounce "Si Bheag Si Mhor"

Frank Dalton

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

>Just how is "Si Bheag Si Mhor" pronounced??

My friend Pat always said "She begs for more".

***************************************
Frank Dalton
New Bolton Center - Library
University of Pennsylvania
School of Veterinary Medicine
(610) 444-5800 (x2235)
***************************************

Jeff

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

Hey all ~

Just how is "Si Bheag Si Mhor" pronounced??

Thanks much

~jeff

Paul Debraski

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

Frank Dalton wrote:

> >Just how is "Si Bheag Si Mhor" pronounced??
>
> My friend Pat always said "She begs for more".

Kind of, it's more like "sh'beg sh'more"
--

To email me, remove the SMEGFREE from my address

Matb

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

> >>Just how is "Si Bheag Si Mhor" pronounced??

> I'd say "shee vek shee vore"

Regardless of the pronunciation, can someone tell of the story behind
it? (IIRC, they're two queens, or two mountains, or something like
that.)

-Mb

SPBurris

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

In article <j-cline-1911...@129.105.148.201>, j-c...@nwu.edu
(Jeff ) wrote:

> Hey all ~

> Just how is "Si Bheag Si Mhor" pronounced??

she vay-ick she vor

("bheag" isn't so much pronounced in two sylables -- it's just that the
final "g" should not be palatalized, so you tend to lower the tongue right
before you hit it. Also, the "o" in "mhor" should be more like "aw" in
the back of the mouth than the typically more frontal American English
long "o".)

--
SPBurris at Cornell University
Greek, Latin and bagpipes!

Bloody Peasant

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

j-c...@nwu.edu (Jeff ) writes:

> Just how is "Si Bheag Si Mhor" pronounced??

It's been a while since I answered one of these so what the heck.

Something like: shee veeUG shee vORe. The h's were originally se/ibhu/,
designated in the old style of writing by a dot over the letter; that mode
of annotation was abandoned mostly around the time I was growing up (Synge
St. CBS, Dublin, 1965-1974), and they turn the relevant preceding
consonant, e.g. from a "b" to a sort of "vh" sound.

Translation: little faerie, big faerie (or something like that, if you
translate "Si/" as faerie.

- Pat
--
\|/ ____ \|/ Pat Murphy; email http://orangutan.cv.nrao.edu/kippure.html
@~ / oO \ ~@ "nospam" is a REAL address; all mail to it is deleted!

William J. Wolfe

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

Amen. If anyone's got the story, please tell. A CD I've got translates
the title as a "War between the fairies."

Anyhow, it's a melody nothing short of enchanting. Branden Power's
version on the harmonica is the best mouth harp I've heard ever--except
maybe "The Rights of Man." Yeah.

-Bill

In a previous article, mbr...@ix.netcom.com (Matb) says:

Davarm

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

It's pronounced exactly the way it looks. Try phonics!

David

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

My Gaelic teacher says "she-beg she-more".
Means "the little fairy hill and the big fairy hill"

Slainte

David

Craig Cockburn

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Ann an sgriobhainn <347827...@g8ina.enta.net>, sgriobh David
<da...@g8ina.enta.net>

>My Gaelic teacher says "she-beg she-more".
>Means "the little fairy hill and the big fairy hill"

This is wrong. Bh is never pronounced "b" and mh is never pronounced "m"
I believe the translation is "Big fairy and little fairy".

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"), Du\n E/ideann, Alba. (Edinburgh, Scotland)
http://www.scot.demon.co.uk/ E-mail: cr...@scot.demon.co.uk

Philip Whittaker

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

As I understand it the subject of this first song by carolan was suggested
to him by his patrons, the McDErmott Roe family of Alderford. On their
land stood two burial mounds that were thought of locally as fairy
dwellings. There was a local legend of a battle between these two hills.

The words are;

Imreas mór tháinig eidir na ríoghna,
Mar fhíoch a d'fhás ón dá chnoc sí,
Mar dúirt an tSídh Mhór go mb'fhearr féin,
Faoi dhó go mór nán tSídh Bheag.

"Ní raibh tú ariamh chomh uasal linn,
I gcéim dár ordaíodh i dtuaith nái gcill.
Beir uainn do chaint, níl suairceas ann,
Coinnigh do chos is do lámh uainn!"

An tráth chruinnigh na sluaite bhí an bualadh teann,
Ar feadh na machaireacha anonn 's anall;
'S ni/l aon ariamh dár ghluais ón mbinn
Nár chaill a cheann san ár sin.

"Parlaidh! Parlaidh! agus fáiltím daoibh,
Sin agaibh an namhaid ó Charn Chlann Aoidh,
Ó bhinn áth Chluain na sluaite daoibh,
'S a cháirde grádhach, bí páirteach!"

A great contention arose between the queens, as the feud that grew from
the two hills, when Sheemore said that she was better, twice as good by
far as Sheebeg.

"You were never as noble as us, in degree conferred in tribe or church;
take your talk away from us, there's no wit in it, remove your foot and
hand from us!"

At the hour the hosts assembled, the fighting was stiff through the
length of the meadow this way and that. There's no one ever who ran out of
the mountain that didn't lose his head in that battle.

"Parley! Parley! And welcome to you! There's your enemy from Carn Chlann
Aodha and the hosts on you from Ath Chluain Mountain! O loving friends,
be agreeable!"

So it looks as if everyone is right about the title!

I got this info from

http://plainfield.bypass.com/~arte/carolan.html

There's a great deal more about Carolan there.

You can also get details of over 100 recordings of this tune!

--
Philip Whittaker
mailto: p...@argonet.co.uk

dwi...@wwisp.com

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Once again, I am happy to help with this pronunciation which is as
simple as all Gaelic pronunications:

1. "Si" is pronounced with with a silent "S" and a silent "i". Don't
pronounce it.

2. "Bh" is pronounced "CHA!"

3. "..eag" is pronounced with a double "g" and an "oirl" vowel sound.
"Oirl-guh-guh"

4. "Si" again. When this appears once, it is silent. When it appears
twice, it is pronounced "tweez"

5. "Mhor" is of course pronounced "Mikey."

So, putting it all together, Si Bheag Si Mhor is
pronounced..."CHA!-Oirl-guh-guh-tweez-Mikey."

Dale Wisely
The Tinwhistle Table
http://www.wwisp.com/~dwisely/table.html

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997 21:44:43 +0000, Craig Cockburn
<cr...@scot.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Ann an sgriobhainn <dalton.8...@vet.upenn.edu>, sgriobh Frank
>Dalton <dal...@vet.upenn.edu>

>>>Just how is "Si Bheag Si Mhor" pronounced??
>>
>I'd say "shee vek shee vore"

Nigel & Nancy Sellars

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Philip Whittaker wrote:

> As I understand it the subject of this first song by carolan was suggested
> to him by his patrons, the McDErmott Roe family of Alderford. On their
> land stood two burial mounds that were thought of locally as fairy
> dwellings. There was a local legend of a battle between these two hills.

<snipped>

> So it looks as if everyone is right about the title!

> --
> Philip Whittaker
> mailto: p...@argonet.co.uk

It's my understanding that the first part (A section) of the tune is
actually traditional, an older song with English lyrics -- and perhaps
other, even older Gaelic ones -- called "My Bonny Cuckoo." I have both
recorded and printed versions that seem to place that song before
O'Carolan's birth. While all sources I've read agree the words are
definitely O'Carolan's, is the second part an original O'Carolan or did
he pull a Handel here and use yet another traditional tune? I suspect
the former, but does anyone actually know?

Brad Hurley

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

>So, putting it all together, Si Bheag Si Mhor is
>pronounced..."CHA!-Oirl-guh-guh-tweez-Mikey."

Or your could use the alternative pronunciation: "Throatwarbler Mangrove."

--
Brad Hurley

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him
through temporary periods of joy."

-W.B. Yeats

gearoidm

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

More like 'Small fairy, big fairy' - honest!

Gearoid

Matb <mbr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<347300...@ix.netcom.com>...

> > I'd say "shee vek shee vore"

Tim Shirley

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

While all sources I've read agree the words are
> definitely O'Carolan's, is the second part an original O'Carolan or did
> he pull a Handel here and use yet another traditional tune? I suspect
> the former, but does anyone actually know?

Probably O'Carolan does.

Tuatha

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

In Donegal Gaelic, it would probably pronounced Shee-vug She-wore (Mh followed
by a broad vowel is pronounced "W")

Tuatha

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Shee-vug She-wore

piecr...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2014, 4:39:24 PM12/31/14
On Wednesday, November 19, 1997 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Frank Dalton wrote:
> >Just how is "Si Bheag Si Mhor" pronounced??
>
> My friend Pat always said "She begs for more".
>
> ***************************************
> Frank Dalton
> New Bolton Center - Library
> University of Pennsylvania
> School of Veterinary Medicine
> (610) 444-5800 (x2235)
> ***************************************

She Be-og She Moore

mpe.art...@gmail.com

May 18, 2017, 2:49:16 PM5/18/17
On Wednesday, November 26, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Tuatha wrote:
> In Donegal Gaelic, it would probably pronounced Shee-vug She-wore (Mh followed
> by a broad vowel is pronounced "W")

THIS.

I think THIS really IS it.

A question though: as some one stated earlier, and as I have heard it pronounced, in your opinion would there be more of a "k" sound at the end of Bheag, as opposed to a "g" sound?

Thanks in advance.

:o)

Mih -

stephen...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2020, 5:58:04 PM4/18/20
Your friend Pat is one of those guys that makes it embarrassing to be a man.