Newfoundland & Labrador Folk Festival Digital Edition

David Dalton

Jul 8, 2020, 10:50:50 PM7/8/20
Living Our Traditions At Home

** The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival 2020 Digital Edition
presented by Equinor:

Living our Traditions at Home

The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society (NLFAS) announces a
weekly digital series that will run online all summer long ­ rain
or shine.

In May, 2020, the NLFAS announced the cancellation of the 44th Annual
Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival in light of the global
COVID-19 pandemic. The Festival was scheduled for July 10 ­ 12, 2020
in Bannerman Park in St. John¹s, Newfoundland. Since 1977, the
Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival has been the premiere summer
cultural event to celebrate the province¹s music, dance and
storytelling traditions, regularly drawing thousands of participants.

Like so many other festivals and public events across the globe,
the organizers of the Festival were disappointed by the cancellation,
but quickly began work on alternate programming.

The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival 2020 Digital Edition
presented by Equinor is a weekly online series that will feature a
variety of music, story, dance and more, available to viewers across
the globe free of charge.

The first episode premieres at www.nlfolk.com on Thursday, July 16th
at 8:30 p.m. NDT (7 p.m. EDT, 2300 UTC/GMT), with featured performer
Amelia Curran. New episodes premiere each Thursday through the summer.

The series lineup also includes Oral Traditions and Instrumental
sessions, the Lifetime Achievement Award, programming from
established partners such as DanceNL, Le Reseau Culturel Francophone
du Terre Neuve et Labrador, First Light St. John¹s Friendship
Centre, children¹s programming, and much more.

Programming will be revealed as it is confirmed at www.nlfolk.com.

--
David Dalton dal...@nfld.com http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
"That no one seemed to have the time to cherish what was given/Oh and I

docd...@panix.com

Jul 10, 2020, 3:12:11 PM7/10/20
In article <dalton.nfld-FDB5...@reader02.eternal-september.org>,
David Dalton <dalto...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Living Our Traditions At Home
>

>** The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival 2020 Digital Edition
>presented by Equinor:

Sorry, that weekend I'm booked for The Pekingese and Pug Folks 'n Critters
Festival.

DD

David Dalton

Jul 10, 2020, 11:09:07 PM7/10/20
On Jul 10, 2020, docd...@panix.com () wrote
(in article <reaeia$d2t$3...@reader1.panix.com>):
What weekend? The shows will be every Thursday starting next
Thursday, and probably will be available for streaming after
the live broadcast as well. And this folk festival is a major
festival with generally about 20,000 attendees, and with
both strong local performers and some good imports.

observer

Jul 11, 2020, 10:51:12 AM7/11/20
On 2020-07-11 12:39 a.m., David Dalton wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2020, docd...@panix.com () wrote
> (in article <reaeia$d2t$3...@reader1.panix.com>):
>
>> In article<dalton.nfld-FDB5...@reader02.eternal-september.org>,
>> David Dalton <dalto...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Living Our Traditions At Home
>>>

>>> ** The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival 2020 Digital Edition
>>> presented by Equinor:
>>
>> Sorry, that weekend I'm booked for The Pekingese and Pug Folks 'n Critters
>> Festival.
>>
>> DD
>
> What weekend? The shows will be every Thursday starting next
> Thursday, and probably will be available for streaming after
> the live broadcast as well. And this folk festival is a major
> festival with generally about 20,000 attendees, and with
> both strong local performers and some good imports.

It sounds as if he who calls himself 'docdwarf' was simply making
a weak attempt at being facetious.

docd...@panix.com

Jul 13, 2020, 2:52:18 PM7/13/20
Well-observed. Sometimes (crowd roar: 'SOMETIMES?') my various jokes,
jests, japes and gibes can be miniscule to the point of unnoticeable.

DD

David Dalton

Jul 16, 2020, 7:18:45 PM7/16/20
On Jul 9, 2020, David Dalton wrote
(in
article<dalton.nfld-FDB5...@reader02.eternal-september.org>):
I heard on CBC Radio One that each episode will be left up for
a week after the live stream broadcast.

David Dalton

Aug 21, 2020, 1:10:09 AM8/21/20
On Jul 9, 2020, David Dalton wrote
(in
article<dalton.nfld-FDB5...@reader02.eternal-september.org>):

This week’s edition focuses on indigenous artists.

The exact URL is

https://nlfolk.com/nlfolk-digital-2020/

--
David Dalton dal...@nfld.com http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
"Rain upon the water/Makes footprints sunk in sand./Anger upon angry

Nick Odell

Aug 21, 2020, 11:03:26 AM8/21/20
On Fri, 21 Aug 2020 02:40:07 -0230, David Dalton <dal...@nfld.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 9, 2020, David Dalton wrote
>(in
>article<dalton.nfld-FDB5...@reader02.eternal-september.org>):
>
>> Living Our Traditions At Home
>>
>> ** The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival 2020 Digital Edition
>> presented by Equinor:
>>
>> Living our Traditions at Home
>>
>> The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Arts Society (NLFAS) announces a
>> weekly digital series that will run online all summer long ­ rain
>> or shine.
>>
>> In May, 2020, the NLFAS announced the cancellation of the 44th Annual
>> Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival in light of the global
>> COVID-19 pandemic. The Festival was scheduled for July 10 ­ 12, 2020
>> in Bannerman Park in St. Johnąs, Newfoundland. Since 1977, the
>> Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival has been the premiere summer
>> cultural event to celebrate the provinceąs music, dance and
>> storytelling traditions, regularly drawing thousands of participants.
>>
>> Like so many other festivals and public events across the globe,
>> the organizers of the Festival were disappointed by the cancellation,
>> but quickly began work on alternate programming.
>>
>> The Newfoundland and Labrador Folk Festival 2020 Digital Edition
>> presented by Equinor is a weekly online series that will feature a
>> variety of music, story, dance and more, available to viewers across
>> the globe free of charge.
>>
>> The first episode premieres at www.nlfolk.com on Thursday, July 16th
>> at 8:30 p.m. NDT (7 p.m. EDT, 2300 UTC/GMT), with featured performer
>> Amelia Curran. New episodes premiere each Thursday through the summer.
>>
>> The series lineup also includes Oral Traditions and Instrumental
>> sessions, the Lifetime Achievement Award, programming from
>> established partners such as DanceNL, Le Reseau Culturel Francophone
>> du Terre Neuve et Labrador, First Light St. Johnąs Friendship
>> Centre, childrenąs programming, and much more.
>>
>> Programming will be revealed as it is confirmed at www.nlfolk.com.
>
>This week’s edition focuses on indigenous artists.
>
>The exact URL is
>
>https://nlfolk.com/nlfolk-digital-2020/

I watched this last night and, like the previous episodes, enjoyed it
very much.

I left a comment on YouTube against your first video, not realising
that the recording was going to disappear from public view.

In case nobody at NFLFolk saw it, my comment was words to the effect
that I think that what you are all doing is brilliant, I love the
spirit behind it all and I have been enjoying the episodes very much.

In a good year I might have been enjoying one or more folk festivals
in Canada (hope to make it to yours one day). In an ordinary year I
would be at home in Dear Old Blighty. However, in yet another Covid-19
tale, I am currently in Argentina, quite content where I am but unable
easily to leave until the transport systems eventually open up again,
so looking forward to each new episode of your Digital Folk Festival
as it arrives is a special pleasure for me.

Thank you,

Nick