Pogues fan clubs????

Jen Franklin

Mar 26, 1995, 7:18:01 PM3/26/95
Does anyone know of any snailmail addresses for Pogues fan clubs or
places to get merchandise? Any info on Shane MacGowan would also be
appreciated.

Please email as I do not check this newsgroup often.

Thanks in advance!

Jen Franklin
je...@csufresno.edu

Jason Wilson

Apr 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/22/95
Well, since the Pogues are defunct now I doubt if there's any type of
fan club. And Shane MacGowan's got a new band called the Popes. Their
album "The Snake" is supposed to be coming out in America some time soon
with a few bonus tracks that aren't on the brit release.

-Jason Wilson-

Graydon Hazenberg

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95
Hi everyone:

I'm not a regular reader of this newsgroup, but I was wondering if I could
get some help from you folks in Netland. I want to get the lyrics to the
Pogues' song The Sunny Side of the Street. I heard it played at a pub and
loved the words (what I remembered of them), but when I bought the tape
The Essential Pogues, there were no printed lyrics and Shane slurred the
words so badly that I couldn't make out more than half of them; my sister and
mom and I listened to the song repeatedly on the headphones and through the
speakers and made no headway. Anyway, if anyone knows the lyrics, please
e-mail them to me at

zap...@cfa160.harvard.edu

Thanks a mill

Graydon Hazenberg

Andrew May

Apr 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/26/95

They have appeared recently on both Top of The Pops and The White Room,
both times singing their current single which also features Shinead O'Connor.
They did two songs on The White room. At the end of the first one Shane MacGowan
decided to kick in the Accordian player who landed on top of the Banjo player.
When they came to to the second song, there was an Accordian on the stage but
noone playing it.

Personnally I think Shane is not doing himself any favours. The musics good, but
his singing leaves something to be desired now - especially when singing duets.
Maybe its just not my thing.

Andy.

--

Andy May Hairy Monsters R us...
a...@dcs.ed.ac.uk

Shocko68

Apr 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/30/95
Hi, a BIG Pogues fan here to!!!

I am looking for the words to "Fairy Tale of New York" Post here or
e-mail me...Thanks

Anja Beinroth

May 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/3/95
: In article <hSzeZlD.j...@delphi.com>, Jason Wilson <jason...@delphi.com> writes:
: > Well, since the Pogues are defunct now I doubt if there's any type of
: > fan club. And Shane MacGowan's got a new band called the Popes. Their
: > album "The Snake" is supposed to be coming out in America some time soon
: > with a few bonus tracks that aren't on the brit release.
: >

I'm afraid I didn't see the above posting, or what it was answering, but in
any case you may like to know that Shane does have an active fanclub.
Information follows:

FRIENDS OF SHANE

Friends of Shane sees itself not as a fanclub as such, but primarily as a
network of friends. Organizer and contact person is Ingrid, who keeps in
touch with Shane on a regular basis.

Whenever there are news to report, Ingrid (with some help from other Friends)
compiles a newsletter, which is posted (via snailmail) to all Friends of
Shane. The newsletter exists in two versions, one written in German, one in
English. The content is largely the same.

In order to receive a newsletter, it is necessary to send Ingrid postage in
ADVANCE, in the following forms:

- Germany: send 2 stamps of 1 DM each (do not attach to envelope)...
- Europe: send ONE International Reply Coupon...
- anywhere else: send TWO International Reply Coupons...
...for each newsletter.

To receive further newsletters, you will have send further stamps/reply
coupons. You will receive as many newsletters as you have sent advance
postage for, eg. if you live in the U.S. and send ten I.R.C.s, you will
receive the next five newsletters.

To leave the fanclub all you have to do is stop sending postage.

An International Reply Coupon is a small, inexpensive piece of paper which
you should be able to buy at any post office counter. The left section of
the coupon should be stamped when you buy it (unless it has the name of
your country printed on it).

The latest newsletter is no. 4 and was published in February/1995.
(no. 5 out shortly)

The address to write to is:

Friends of Shane
c/o Ingrid Knetsch
Halvescheiderohl 3
58579 Schalksmuehle
GERMANY

Disclaimer: Friends of Shane is NOT a commercial venture. It is run by fans
for fans on a non-profit basis. Anyone is free to join or leave any time.
------------------------------------------------ A___A ------
( u u )
Anja S. Beinroth (ben...@uni-muenster.de) \ x /
\ - /
Telephone: +49 251 72781 / \
/ \
"When the most exquisite cunning fails, / |
chance often hits the mark, / || ||
and that by means the least expected." | || _||___
`---VU--UV---'

L.A. Clark

May 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/9/95
Graydon Hazenberg (gra...@software.mitel.com) wrote:
> Hi everyone:

> I'm not a regular reader of this newsgroup, but I was wondering if I could
> get some help from you folks in Netland. I want to get the lyrics to the
> Pogues' song The Sunny Side of the Street.

OK - this is from memory. Here goes...

Seen the carnival at Rome,
Had the women and I had the booze,
And all I can remember now,
Is little kids without no shoes,
So I saw the train and I got on it,
With a heart of hate and a lust for vomit,
Now I'm walking on the Sunny Side of the Street.

Stepped over bodies in Bombay,
Tried to make it to the USA,
Ended up in Nepal,
Upon a roof with nothin' at all,
I knew that day,
I was gonna stay,
Right where I am -
On the Sunny Side of the Street.

Been in a palace, been in a jail,
Just don't wanna be thought of as a snall,
Just wanna spend eternity right where I am -
On the Sunny Side of the Street.

As my mother wept the day that I swore,
To take my life as I would a whore,
I know I'm better than before,
I will not be reconstructed!
Just wanna stay right here, on
The sunny side of the street. (repeat)

Definitely one of my favourites! (I apologize if anything's wrond)

Best wishes, Laurence.

+============================================+================================+
| | Laurence Clark |
| ARPA/Internet: L.A....@cs.liv.ac.uk | House 7 Melville Grove, |
| JANET: L.A....@uk.ac.liv.cs | Grove Street, |
| | Liverpool L7 7AD. |
| Tel: 051 794 3850 | UNITED KINGDOM. |

"And the words that he spoke seemed the wisest of philosophy,
There was nothing ever gained by a wet thing called a tear;
So when the world is too dark and I need the light inside of me,
I walk into a bar, and drink fifteen pints of beer!"

from 'Streams of Whiskey' by Shane MacGowan.