Michael Flatley - Who Does He Think He Is?

Lynda Thornton

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Michael Flatley has a serious problem. His ego.

In Lord of the Dance he gesticulates and postures like a kind of over
the top John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Granted, he's a fine tap
dancer, but the manic staring eyes, the melodramatic gestures and the
headband (not cool) are embarrassing and unnecessary. Maybe he's having
a mid-life crisis - will he be wearing a medallion next?

At the end of the Dublin show he stands there like he thinks he's some
kind of god to be worshipped by his screaming fanatic followers.

Quit posing Michael, just dance.

Lynda Thornton

BREWERPAUL

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Quit posing Michael, just dance.

I'llsecond that!!! The first time I ever heard of or saw Michael, he was
on tour with the Chieftans. They played a few tunes, then in the middle
of a reel, Michael ERUPTED from the wings and brought the house down. No
histrionics, just astounding dancing. I'd pay good money to see more of
THAT! Paul Troy NY

John C. Randolph

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Lynda Thornton <B...@wuli.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Michael Flatley has a serious problem. His ego.

Exuse me, do you know the man? Where the hell do you get off
taking an ignorant jibe at an artist who's achieved infinitely more than
you *ever* will? Do you have any idea the kind of hard work he's put
in to get where he is?

If you were an all-ireland champion step dancer, you might have a
bit of a *reason* to think you were a great dancer.

>In Lord of the Dance he gesticulates and postures like a kind of over
>the top John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Granted, he's a fine tap
>dancer, but the manic staring eyes, the melodramatic gestures and the
>headband (not cool) are embarrassing and unnecessary. Maybe he's having
>a mid-life crisis - will he be wearing a medallion next?

He's *not* a TAP DANCER. He's a step dancer.
It's rather funny that you're criticising him, and you don't even know
what his dance form is.

>At the end of the Dublin show he stands there like he thinks he's some
>kind of god to be worshipped by his screaming fanatic followers.

Well then, don't go to it! Christ.

>Quit posing Michael, just dance.

If you're going to be a critic, find out a bit more about the field
you're criticizing.

Reggaelady

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Who does he think he is???? He's a performer thank you very much (e.g.,
the gestures, facial expressions)! Try accessing the official LOTD
website and you will find many satisfied customers. Before Michael and
LOTD, I had really never had an interest in Irish music or dancing.
Michael has changed all that. He has charisma plus! More, Michael, More!

P.S.-PLEASE don't perform with Michael Jackson!!!

Reggaelady

Lynda Thornton

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

In article <jcr.86...@idiom.com>, "John C. Randolph" <j...@idiom.com>
writes
Oh dear, it appears we have one of the disciples here ...

Lynda Thornton

HelDunk

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

No histrionics, just astounding dancing. I'd pay good money to see more
of
THAT!

I'll second that! Helene

Kathryn L. McCabe

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

In <Uy+1JRAz...@wuli.demon.co.uk> Lynda Thornton

<B...@wuli.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Michael Flatley has a serious problem. His ego.
>
>In Lord of the Dance he gesticulates and postures like a kind of over
>the top John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever. Granted, he's a fine
tap
>dancer, but the manic staring eyes, the melodramatic gestures and the
>headband (not cool) are embarrassing and unnecessary. Maybe he's
having
>a mid-life crisis - will he be wearing a medallion next?
>
>At the end of the Dublin show he stands there like he thinks he's some
>kind of god to be worshipped by his screaming fanatic followers.
>
>Quit posing Michael, just dance.
>
>Lynda Thornton

Although I wouldn't begin to profess to know exactly why Mr. Flatley is
prone to those "melodramatic gestures" (and I do agree about the
headband, but I just overlook it), I think that if one stopped to
consider his feelings regarding his experience with Riverdance (it was
quite obviously not all sweetness and light) you might consider that he
is pleased with the response of the audience. After all, anyone knows
that Riverdance sparked a response in the whole country that was most
remarkable, and so to hear that roar again, for something that he has
since said was a "dream" of his, would have to be exciting.

While I agree that he would have appeared more humble had he NOT
behaved in such a manner, I would reckon that his personality is what
it is, and surely it has a great deal to do with his performances. So,
even though we might prefer a different type of behaviour, I would
submit that you cannot really dictate such things. It is a matter of
personal taste.

George L Smyth

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Lynda Thornton wrote:

> At the end of the Dublin show he stands there like he thinks he's some
> kind of god to be worshipped by his screaming fanatic followers.

Perhaps if he didn't have such screaming fanatic followers he wouldn't
be standing there. Were he a no-count bum, I'd join the chorus of
complaints. However, as he's one of the most talented people in Celtic
dance, despite the fact that his current show isn't to my liking, I'll
admire him for doing his own thing and being successful at it. Were he
not successful, we wouldn't be talking about this.

george

--
Handmade Photographic Images
http://www2.ari.net/glsmyth/

Tony S.

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

Geez, John. Relax. Are you his brother?

Let's be fair about this. There is no doubt that he is a wonderful
dancer, but his displays of cheerleading at the end of the video are a
little excessive. IMHO, they did detract from the performance.

Even though Flatley gets top billing, we shouldn't overlook the other
dancers. The two principal female dancers were terrific, too. The
temptress certainly stole my heart.

John C. Randolph

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

Lynda Thornton <B...@wuli.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Oh dear, it appears we have one of the disciples here ...

I see that the Queen's English isn't your long suit.

The word is "fan", Lynda, not "disciple", since I've never had the good fortune
to take any course of instruction from Mr. Flately. I'm a musician, not a
dancer.

-jcr

GreeneKing

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Well now I've read about half a dozen news reviews, plus heard the
opinions of several people who know or have met Michael Flatley...

(was it Time or Newsweek which described him decked out in "diamonds and
leather and enough cologne to deodorize a landfill in July"?)

The man is a brilliant dancer and a very good bit of scenery even standing
still, and I was absolutely enchanted by him when I first saw Riverdance.
But now I think the appeal is kind of diminished because I now know that
most people can't STAND the guy. Even the kinder reviewers (People mag
this week e.g.) do mention his ego. It's like being really moved by
someone who has a beautiful voice, or writes beautiful songs, and meeting
the person and discovering that the person's an arrogant, self-adoring
pain in the whatever. Then you think of that when you hear him sing.Just
my two cents.

Lynda Thornton

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

In article <jcr.86...@idiom.com>, "John C. Randolph" <j...@idiom.com>
writes

John, here is the lesson for today.

You prefer the word fan to describe yourself. The dictionary tells us
that the word fan is a shortened version of 'fanatic', definitions of
which include 'unreasonably zealous, esp. in religion: excessively
enthusiastic, esp. on religious subjects'. (Chambers)

Definitions of the word 'disciple' include 'follower'.

Most appropriate, don't you think?

BTW, why don't you check the accuracy of your own English for the
correct spelling of your idol's name ...

Here endeth the lesson.

Lynda Thornton

GreeneKing

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

OK can we stop quibbling about the language? (I missed out on what
OPINIONS were actually being expressed!) Fan, disciple, whatever...... by
the way there are many newsgroup readers for whom English is a second
language, don't scare them off!

Lynn Whittingham

Jan 22, 2023, 12:06:48 PM1/22/23
Brilliantly talented and must have worked so hard to become as good as a dancer as he is. His ego is his downfall, he spoils it for me and many others. How much more popular he would be if he was humble and relied on his talent to show how fantastic he is