Miles Ballads

1 view

Fathom

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

I recently snagged a bargain-bin copy of "Mile Davis Plays Classic
Ballads." (CBS, 1990). The back cover said "Featuring John Coltrane, Bill
Evans, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Cannonball Adderly" and I bought it
assuming that notes inside would specify (at least!) which track was who.
No such luck--the inside was completely blank!

Well, I like the arrangement of "Stella By Starlight" so when people ask
me where I learned the harmonies I'd like to be able to say "listening to
Bill Evans" (which it sounds like), but is it? This track has Coltrane and
no alto.

The other cuts on this compilation are Bye-Bye Blackbird, Old Folks,
Circle, I Thought About You, Fall, All of You, and Blue in Green-- in case
anyone wants to catalogue the whole thing.

And, yes, I will write a nasty letter to CBS complaining about the ripoff.

--
Fathom >8-)>
**********

Alex Bunardzic

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

fat...@sonic.net (Fathom) wrote:

>I recently snagged a bargain-bin copy of "Mile Davis Plays Classic
>Ballads." (CBS, 1990). The back cover said "Featuring John Coltrane, Bill
>Evans, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Cannonball Adderly" and I bought it
>assuming that notes inside would specify (at least!) which track was who.
>No such luck--the inside was completely blank!

>And, yes, I will write a nasty letter to CBS complaining about the ripoff.

>--
> Fathom >8-)>
>**********
>No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work, anyway.

I bought the same bargain-bin copy, but I'm not complaining -- what
could one expect for only 6 bucks? The music's great, so I can live
without the words describing it.

Alex

John & Bonnie

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

fat...@sonic.net (Fathom) wrote:

>I recently snagged a bargain-bin copy of "Mile Davis Plays Classic
>Ballads." (CBS, 1990). The back cover said "Featuring John Coltrane, Bill
>Evans, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Cannonball Adderly" and I bought it
>assuming that notes inside would specify (at least!) which track was who.
>No such luck--the inside was completely blank!

>Well, I like the arrangement of "Stella By Starlight" so when people ask

>me where I learned the harmonies I'd like to be able to say "listening to
>Bill Evans" (which it sounds like), but is it? This track has Coltrane and
>no alto.

>The other cuts on this compilation are Bye-Bye Blackbird, Old Folks,
>Circle, I Thought About You, Fall, All of You, and Blue in Green-- in case
>anyone wants to catalogue the whole thing.

>And, yes, I will write a nasty letter to CBS complaining about the ripoff.

>--
> Fathom >8-)>
>**********
>No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work, anyway.

The studio version of Stella is Bill Evans, Trane, PC, and Jimmy
Cobb. Blue in Green is the same group. Circle is the second quintet
with Wayne Shorter. Bye, Bye, Blackbird is Trane, Red Garland, PC,
and Philly Joe Jones. Studio version of All of You is the same group.
I Thought About You and Old Folks is Hank Mobley, Wynton Kelly, PC,
and Jimmy Cobb.

John Nicholas

D Royko

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

In article <4pkbu7$c...@news2.bctel.net>, a_bun...@bcinfohealth.com
(Alex Bunardzic) writes:

>fat...@sonic.net (Fathom) wrote:
>
>>I recently snagged a bargain-bin copy of "Mile Davis Plays Classic

>>Ballads." (CBS, 1990). the inside was completely blank!

>I bought the same bargain-bin copy, but I'm not complaining -- what
>could one expect for only 6 bucks? The music's great, so I can live
>without the words describing it.

I disagree. It would cost them nothing to list, even in small print, the
personnel and date of each track, and the album it is from. And it would
seem to be a better marketing strategy as far as people going further and
buying more by Miles and the related artists.

Failure to list personnel is one of my pet peeves, and IMO is never, ever
acceptable, no matter the price.

Dave Royko

Gary Valentin

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

Fathom> I recently snagged a bargain-bin copy of "Mile Davis Plays Classic
Fathom> Ballads." (CBS, 1990). The back cover said "Featuring John Coltrane, Bill
Fathom> Evans, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Cannonball Adderly" and I bought it
Fathom> assuming that notes inside would specify (at least!) which track was who.
Fathom> No such luck--the inside was completely blank!

Fathom> Well, I like the arrangement of "Stella By Starlight" so when people ask
Fathom> me where I learned the harmonies I'd like to be able to say "listening to
Fathom> Bill Evans" (which it sounds like), but is it? This track has Coltrane and
Fathom> no alto.

Fathom> The other cuts on this compilation are Bye-Bye Blackbird, Old Folks,
Fathom> Circle, I Thought About You, Fall, All of You, and Blue in Green-- in case
Fathom> anyone wants to catalogue the whole thing.

Fathom> And, yes, I will write a nasty letter to CBS complaining about the ripoff.

Fathom> --
Fathom> Fathom >8-)>
Fathom> **********
Fathom> No sense being pessimistic. It wouldn't work, anyway.

This cheap compilation (which you can find for $6) is cheap because it
doesn't include any of that information. Don't get angry at them. If
you want to know what's what, then buy the original albums...

Though I must admit it's fun trying to figure out which musicians are
playing in each song.

garyValentin IBM DB2 Optimizer
rud...@vnet.ibm.com
(416)-448-3467 Everybody makes me steaks,
(TL)-778-3467 even me.

Bruce D'Arcus

Jun 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/13/96

Actually, Sony just released a new CD which sounds very similar, as well as
one of Mingus' work for CBS. As far as I know, these two are the start of
a new "greatist hits" series from Sony. Any one have any experience with
these new releases? I'm particularly interested in the sound quality
myself.

Please e-mail reply, and thanks in advance.

Bruce D'Arcus