Dolphy Recommendations?

Chuck Karish

Mar 23, 1989, 6:17:22 PM3/23/89
>Could somebody make some recommendations for Dolphy albums?

His _Last_Date_ is one of my favorite albums. He used a
tremendous variety of different voices, to express as many
moods. The rhythm section is mediocre, though.

Chuck Karish hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish (415) 493-7277
kar...@forel.stanford.edu

Joe Hellerstein

Mar 23, 1989, 12:13:20 PM3/23/89
Could somebody make some recommendations for Dolphy albums? I have Out to
Lunch, but am particularly looking for a recording of the tune "Miss Ann,"
which I am expected to play in the next couple of weeks (not an easy tune,
believe me, melody- or change-wise.)

For those of you Bostonites, BTW, the Harvard Jazz Band w/ guest JOE
HENDERSON will be playing an Eric Dolphy memorial concert in mid-April.
The concert will also open with the James Williams Quartet playing with 5
student horn players selected for the "Harvard Rhythm Section Project."
Should be good; I'll keep you posted on details.

Joe Hellerstein

Sydney R. Polk

Mar 24, 1989, 2:58:27 PM3/24/89
From article <14...@husc6.harvard.edu>, by hell...@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Joe Hellerstein):

> Could somebody make some recommendations for Dolphy albums? I have Out to
> Lunch, but am particularly looking for a recording of the tune "Miss Ann,"
> which I am expected to play in the next couple of weeks (not an easy tune,
> believe me, melody- or change-wise.)

Try finding a live double album on Inner City called "The Berlin Concerts".
I believe there is a recording of Miss Ann on that one but I am not sure.
However, there is a blistering reconding of When Lights Are Low (with
Dolphy on bass clarinet and no piano), God Bless the Child, and
a really good flute tune that I can't remember the name of (ARGH!).
I could sing it to you, but that's hard to do over the net.

:)

Anyway, this is some of the best Dolphy I have heard.

--
Syd Polk | Wherever you go, there you are.
jaz...@claris.com | Let the music be your light.

Tim Bray

Mar 25, 1989, 11:24:20 AM3/25/89
From article <14...@husc6.harvard.edu>, by hell...@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Joe Hellerstein):
> Could somebody make some recommendations for Dolphy albums? ...
One of my favourite ways to listen to Dolphy is to put on ``Mingus at
Antibes.'' Lots of good Dolphy, and you get to listen to Mingus and the
rest of the gang (also a Bud Powell guest spot).

william.j.hery

Mar 25, 1989, 12:06:18 PM3/25/89
>Could somebody make some recommendations for Dolphy albums? I have Out to
>Lunch, but am particularly looking for a recording of the tune "Miss Ann,"
>which I am expected to play in the next couple of weeks (not an easy tune,
>believe me, melody- or change-wise.)

The discography in the Dolphy biography lists two actual recordings of
Miss Ann: with a Dutch rythm section on the album Last Date (1964) and
a quintet recording with Booker Little on Presitge called Far Cry; Far
Cry was reissued as half of a Dolphy "twofer" on called Magic (the other
album was originally a Ron Carter LP called Where? featuring Dolphy).
Dolphy In Europe Volume II also includes a peice called Miss Ann, but is
is mislabeled--it's actualy another Dolphy composition called Les.

There are several Dolphy concert recordings that only came out after
the biography, so aren't included in the discography. Stochholm Sessions
(Inner City, 1981 release) includes a piece called simply Ann which
is actually Miss Ann; this is a quintet date with Idrees Sulieman on
trumpet and a Swedish rythm section. There might be other recordings
from concerts with Miss Ann available.

The presitge records are probably available on OJC in their original
format; I'm pretty sure Last Date is available on CD, but I suspect that
the Inner City will be hard to find, since it was remaindered several
years ago.

I just saw a Japanese import on DIW which claims to be Dolphy's
last recordings--and its not the materail on Last Date. Does anyone
know anything about this recording?

Bill Hery
att!wayback!wjh

Brian Smithson

Mar 27, 1989, 5:24:09 PM3/27/89

On the contrary, I thought that the rhythm section on Last Date was
exceptional. Most of the rhythm sections Dolphy had, especially on his
earlier albums, played relatively straight be-bop-ish stuff behind
Dolphy's inventive style. I thought that it was a strange contrast.
On Last Date, however, Misja Mengleberg (pardon the spelling -- I
don't have the album cover here to look at) in particular played much
more interesting stuff behind Dolphy. I think that the Last Date rhythm
section was much more integrated with Dolphy's style than most other
rhythm sections he played with. Misja Mengleberg, Han Bennink, and
whoever-the-bassists-was went on to do some rather far out stuff as
the "Instant Composer's Pool". OK, net, where are they now?

Anyhow, other recommendable Dolphy's include: Out to Lunch (Blue Note),
both sets "At the Five Spot" with Booker Little (Prestige, or if you're
lucky, New Jazz), and much of his work with Charles Mingus is worthwhile.
For the Mingus stuff, I'd start with "Charles Mingus Presents the Charles
Mingus Quartet" (Barnaby/Candid).

--
-Brian Smithson, Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division
10700 N. De Anza Boulevard, Cupertino, CA 95014 USA, (408)864-2225