Stan Getz CDs

Peter Prun

Jan 2, 1992, 2:42:52 PM1/2/92
I want to buy 2 or 3 (well, maybe four) CDs of Stan Getz. I like him, but
I don't think I could afford to buy all of his CDs. I saw the Compact Jazz
CDs for "Stan Getz" and also "Stan Getz and Friends". Then I saw a double CD
Verve collection of Getz, part 1. Does anyone have an opinion as to the
quality and selections of these CDs, or any other suggestions? Thanks in
advance.

Pete
pp...@uswat.uswest.com

Jeff Beer

Jan 2, 1992, 3:22:39 PM1/2/92
In article <1992Jan2.1...@cherokee.uswest.com> pp...@august.uswest.com (Peter Prun) writes:
>I want to buy 2 or 3 (well, maybe four) CDs of Stan Getz. I like him, but
>I don't think I could afford to buy all of his CDs. I saw the Compact Jazz

The Compact Jazz is good in that it has a lot of the Brazillian stuff.
But there is some verves with Bill Evans and Chick Corea. I think one
time they were reissued together as a double album, but know doubt the
CD will seperate them. But I would rate those the best.

Jeff

Torsten B. Hagemann

Jan 2, 1992, 6:08:14 PM1/2/92
I will suggest that you listen a bit to the Captain Marvel album, which
contains a lot of Chick Corea-stuff. Another obvious album to pay attention is
the Getz/Gilberto album where he plays a bossa's. They are brilliant, though a
bit too wellknown to count as a recommandation.

Torsten
--
The flesh is willing, and the spirit is weak.

Stan Jones

Jan 2, 1992, 8:37:57 PM1/2/92

My objection to the Compact Jazz is that it has too much Brazilian
stuff. The Verve compilation is available as 2 cd's in a package
called Highlights (Verve 847 430-2) [I assume you know that Verve is
owned by Polygram.] I like most of the Highlights, but there is some
stuff there with less than ideal settings.

My own preferences are more recent things. The two albums from the
last tour of Scandanavia (Serenity and Anniversay, EmArcy 838 770-2
and EmArcy 838 769-2 respectively [yeah, Polygram owns EmArcy, too])
are among the best he has ever done and I also like very much the Abby
Lincoln cd featuring Stan, You Gotta Pay the Band (Verve 511 110-2).

I trust that Polygram is putting together a proper big box collection,
though a 'complete recordings' is probably beyond a reasonable price.

If you are interested in how Getz developed you will want to listen to
some of the Woody Herman dates he was on.