Miles Davis & John Coltrane vs. Jerry Maguire

David Talmage

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

In the movie _Jerry Maguire_, the babysitter gives Jerry a tape of
Miles Davis and John Coltrane recorded live somewhere in northern
Europe in the late 1950's or early 1960's. Who can tell me which
recording? I'd like to buy a copy.

I looked on the _Jerry Maguire_ web site and found nothing. It's
certainly not in the soundtrack.

I found a Miles Davis discography site that listed, among many others,
these recordings:

Live in Stockholm, 1960, Dragon DRCD 228
Live - Tivoli's Konsertsad, Copenhagen, Royal Jazz RJD 501
Live in Zurich 1960, Jazz Unlimited JUCD 2031
Live in Holland, Century/Stach CECC 00093

Maybe it's one of them?

David Talmage

PS- I asked this question in rec.arts.movies.current-films and no one
knew the answer.

lang thompson

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

****** An article in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly said that
the filmmakers looped in the nanny saying that he'd added Mingus to the
tape he gives Maguire so that they could play Mingus during the scene
instead of the Davis/Coltrane piece (which they couldn't get the rights
to).

Lang Thompson
http://members.aol.com/wlt4/index.htm

In <y3braj4...@nexus.cmf.nrl.navy.mil> David Talmage

Doyle Carmody

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

The character in the film refers to the recording as having
been recorded in 1963. That's Mistake Number 1...
-Doyle

Henry Robinett

Feb 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/2/97

It's not listed, but the one referred to would have been *Live In
Stockholm 1960*. In the movie it stated *Live In Stockholm 1963*, which
of course wouldn't have happened as Trane left Miles in 1960 coinciding
with this, not only his last European tour but his last tour anywhere
with Miles. This 1960 recording is GREAT in my opinion.

Henry Robinett
Nefertiti Records

Jordan Levin

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

lang thompson wrote:

> ****** An article in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly said that
> the filmmakers looped in the nanny saying that he'd added Mingus to the
> tape he gives Maguire so that they could play Mingus during the scene
> instead of the Davis/Coltrane piece (which they couldn't get the rights
> to).

Was anyone else a little dismayed that the film seem to go out of its
way to bash jazz in its portrayal of jazz as "the music of the geeky
male nanny?"
This really didn't seem necessary to me (especially since the singer of
the song most featured in the movie--Ricky Lee Jones (Horses, off the
Flying Cowboys album)--has used plenty of jazz musicians on her albums).

Jordan

Henry Robinett

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

I saw no problem with this. Jazz has an intellectual, bohemian air to it. This is a movie. I was excited by the coverage Mingus, =
Miles and Coltrane got. Haitian Fight Song!! In a widely released top box office movie? Come on. I was flabbergasted. My hats o=
ff to Sue Mingus for letting them do it. So what if he was geeky? You've never known any "out to lunch" geeky jazz fanatics? At l=
east he wasn't a serial killer.

Henry Robinett
Nefertiti Records

Jaroslav A Delapedraja

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

Excerpts from netnews.rec.music.bluenote: 4-Feb-97 Re: Miles Davis &
John Colt.. by Jordan Le...@sdd.hp.com
> Was anyone else a little dismayed that the film seem to go out of its
> way to bash jazz in its portrayal of jazz as "the music of the geeky
> male nanny?"

YES!! And don't forget the way Tom Cruise said "what the HELL is this
music?" while listening to Mingus. I'm not sure what this says about
mainstream views toward jazz, but certainly somebody responsible for the
movies' script has some personal problem with jazz. I cant imagine too
many people having this opinion though.

On a lighter note, my friends who saw the movie with me took every
opportunity to make fun of my taste in jazz when we talked after
watching the movie. We reached the consensus that I should trade in all
my Miles, Mingus, and Coltrane CDs for a collection of Bruce Springsteen
CDs - his music was played whenever Maguire succeeded at work or in his
personal life.

(note: I do not mean to insult Bruce Springsteen's music in any way. I
only point him out because his seems to be the cool music to listen to,
at least according to the movie.)

-Jaro

Neil B McLaughlin

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

> YES!! And don't forget the way Tom Cruise said "what the HELL is this
> music?" while listening to Mingus. I'm not sure what this says about
> mainstream views toward jazz, but certainly somebody responsible for the
> movies' script has some personal problem with jazz. I cant imagine too
> many people having this opinion though.

Script was written by director Cameron Crowe, who also wrote and directed
Singles, which features Blue Train in a cool moment of that film, even
though the film is about the Seattle music scene in the late
eighties/early nineties or so. So Crowe likes jazz and puts it in his
films, even though they be not about jazz.

The fact that he bothered to put it in shows he's behind it, regardless of
Cruise's line dissing it, which probably got a good hoot out of Crowe for
its irony: here I am writing and making a movie, putting the tunes I want
in it, and having my star speak lines dissing it.

It's just a goof, folks. Not a bad one either.

Crowe also directed Say Anything. All the films mentioned in this post are
worth seeing.

Neil

David Talmage

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

wl...@ix.netcom.com(lang thompson) writes:

> ****** An article in a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly said that
> the filmmakers looped in the nanny saying that he'd added Mingus to the
> tape he gives Maguire so that they could play Mingus during the scene

I admit to having no knowledge of Charles Mingus. Can you identify
the song and recording? I can neither confirm nor deny the rumor that
I intend to use the recording to recreate that scene in the privacy of
my own home. ;-)

DRick47540

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

I'm of the opinion that Cameron Crowe (the director) is actually a jazz
fan who was poking fun at the stereotypical image of jazz freaks in our
society. The Mingus piece, while unknown to the average movie-goer, is
pretty highly regarded amongst jazz circles. Also, "Blue Train" appears
prominently in a scene in Singles where the Campbell Scott character is
mellowing out at home. Regardless of how it was perceived, I think Crowe
was just being mischevious.

Dave

Seth Tisue

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

In article <19970207195...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Yeah, also, Tom Cruise's character isn't held up as an example of
"cool" (see earlier post), he's held up as an example of painfully
normal, in fact the film pokes fun at him from time to time for being
sooooo normal. Having that reaction to the Mingus song is part of
that. See also the scene where he's listening to the radio in his
car.
--
== Seth Tisue <s-t...@nwu.edu> http://www.cs.nwu.edu/~tisue/

Jeff Harrison

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

drick...@aol.com (DRick47540) wrote:

> I'm of the opinion that Cameron Crowe (the director) is actually a jazz
> fan who was poking fun at the stereotypical image of jazz freaks in our
> society. The Mingus piece, while unknown to the average movie-goer, is
> pretty highly regarded amongst jazz circles. Also, "Blue Train" appears
> prominently in a scene in Singles where the Campbell Scott character is
> mellowing out at home. Regardless of how it was perceived, I think Crowe
> was just being mischevious.

While it's nice to hear these pieces in his films I'm betting he doesn't
know jack about jazz from what I've read about him. Remember his idea of a
film composer for JERRY M. was his wife Nancy Wilson (no, not her - the
one from the rock band Heart!). Yikes.

Jeff

Vincent Kargatis

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

Jaroslav A Delapedraja wrote:
> YES!! And don't forget the way Tom Cruise said "what the HELL is this
> music?" while listening to Mingus. I'm not sure what this says about
> mainstream views toward jazz, but certainly somebody responsible for the
> movies' script has some personal problem with jazz. I cant imagine too
> many people having this opinion though.

I would like to point out that Cruise's character *did not* stop the
music after he made that comment, and in fact presumably went on to have
sex to it. That implies that his was a playful comment, and not one
indicating dislike or disgust. (Would you have sex to music that
bothered you?)

I thought it was funny. It's hardly offensive.

vince

Carol Fenwick

Feb 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/11/97
to oxkill@aol
> vincehey John I found this and I thought it was pointless so I sent it to you
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

GKornfield

Feb 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/13/97

Was it Haitian Fight Song from the Clown or the redone cut from Mingus,
Mingus, Mingus (Impulse)
I was dismayed by Tom Cruise dissing Mingus. (Actually Haitian Fight
Song is not a romance love making song anyhow)
I assume that Sony-Columbia would not want to give Miles Davis rights to a
competitor movie, even if it might promote their product.
Remember the the Clint Eastwood movie, where is in the secret service and
his use of Kind of Blue
In Robert Redford's "Sneakers" Kind of Blue was used as background

Genie Baker

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

In article <19970213104...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

GKornfield <gkorn...@aol.com> wrote:
>I was dismayed by Tom Cruise dissing Mingus.

Consider the source.

> (Actually Haitian Fight
>Song is not a romance love making song anyhow)

It wasn't a romantic scene. But yeah, if I remember correctly, the
widespread consensus on rmb was something along the lines of "My One and
Only Love works on all of them."
Genie Baker gba...@umich.edu

Tyler Smith

Sep 5, 2022, 8:43:36 PM9/5/22
On Wednesday, February 5, 1997 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Neil B McLaughlin wrote:
> > YES!! And don't forget the way Tom Cruise said "what the HELL is this
> > music?" while listening to Mingus. I'm not sure what this says about
> > mainstream views toward jazz, but certainly somebody responsible for the
> > movies' script has some personal problem with jazz. I cant imagine too
> > many people having this opinion though.
> Script was written by director Cameron Crowe, who also wrote and directed
> Singles, which features Blue Train in a cool moment of that film, even
> though the film is about the Seattle music scene in the late
> eighties/early nineties or so. So Crowe likes jazz and puts it in his
> films, even though they be not about jazz.
> The fact that he bothered to put it in shows he's behind it, regardless of
> Cruise's line dissing it, which probably got a good hoot out of Crowe for
> its irony: here I am writing and making a movie, putting the tunes I want
> in it, and having my star speak lines dissing it.
> It's just a goof, folks. Not a bad one either.
> Crowe also directed Say Anything. All the films mentioned in this post are
> worth seeing.
> Neil
I don't think he said, "what the hell is this music?" He said, "what is this music?" I paid particular attention to that in rewatching the movie because I recall on first watching being irritated by the film's treatment of jazz. He seemed more bemused than irritated. For a character who probably never had heard a not of jazz in his life, that seemed believable. The stupid error about Miles and Trane playing together in '63 was a really ridiculous unforced errors, though.