Help identifying "Dark night is coming"

Gregory P. Dubois

Dec 21, 1991, 6:13:09 PM12/21/91
One night last fall I tuned into a local blues show on the radio, and
found myself in the middle of a song I'd never heard before, but which
I really liked. The DJ didn't identify it after it was over. After a
couple of weeks, I finally managed to get in touch with the DJ, but she
couldn't recall the song -- all that I could remember about it was that
the line "Dark night is coming" was repeated many times, and that the
singer was male.

Does this ring a bell with anyone out there? I'd love to find a recording.

Thanks!

Gregory P. Dubois Caltech / Oxford / Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
gdu...@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu, gdu...@slacvm.bitnet

Alan J.Stein

Dec 23, 1991, 8:58:15 AM12/23/91

One night last fall I tuned into a local blues show on the radio, and
found myself in the middle of a song I'd never heard before, but which
I really liked. The DJ didn't identify it after it was over. After a
couple of weeks, I finally managed to get in touch with the DJ, but she
couldn't recall the song -- all that I could remember about it was that
the line "Dark night is coming" was repeated many times, and that the
singer was male.

Does this ring a bell with anyone out there? I'd love to find a recording.

<ding>

Are you sure it was *dark* night? Could this possibly be "Black Night", by
Dr. John, from the "In A Sentimental Mood" disc? His voice is unmistakable...
If you think so, I would definitely recommend this disc, although Dr J's fans
might be surprised by it (it's kind-of mellow and a just a little tiny bit
mushy). But on balance, it's cohesive and well-produced and most of the songs
are really classics and Dr. John is just *so incredibly cool*. Enjoy.
--
Alan J.Stein MIT/Lincoln Laboratory al...@ll.mit.edu

"We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world; and its
efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men everyday
who don't know anything and can't read." - Mark Twain, July 4, 1875

Karen M. Dryer

Dec 21, 1991, 8:01:59 PM12/21/91
I'm so fed up about the word best appearing on a music billboard. My
answer is who cares? Everyone has their own "best player" and that's
fine.
What I like seeing is someone who has a favorite player who is virtually
an unknown. Then maybe I can discover his music also.

My opinion is that Jimmy Blanton, Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, and Jaco
Pastorius were the innovators. I believe all bass players have developed
from these four gentlemen. And I got the chance to personally know the
latter two. So that's my $0.02 worth.

Greg Wohletz

Dec 30, 1991, 1:46:31 PM12/30/91
)
) One night last fall I tuned into a local blues show on the radio, and
) found myself in the middle of a song I'd never heard before, but which
) I really liked. The DJ didn't identify it after it was over. After a
) couple of weeks, I finally managed to get in touch with the DJ, but she
) couldn't recall the song -- all that I could remember about it was that
) the line "Dark night is coming" was repeated many times, and that the
) singer was male.
)
) Does this ring a bell with anyone out there? I'd love to find a recording.
)

Perhaps you mean ``Black night is falling''? If so I can think of at
least 4 versions of this song that I have access to. The most
recently released version is by Buddy Guy on his new album _Damn right
I've got the blues_. My favorite version of this song is on the Eddie
Clearwater Album _FLimdoozie_ which features special guest Otis Rush
on guitar.

--Greg

Bruce Dumes

Dec 30, 1991, 3:05:11 PM12/30/91
In article <1991Dec30....@unlv.edu> gr...@duke.cs.unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) writes:
>In article <91355.151...@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> GDU...@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Gregory P. Dubois) writes:
>)
>) the line "Dark night is coming" was repeated many times, and that the
>) singer was male.
>)
>Perhaps you mean ``Black night is falling''? If so I can think of at
>least 4 versions of this song that I have access to. The most
>recently released version is by Buddy Guy on his new album _Damn right
>I've got the blues_. My favorite version of this song is on the Eddie
>Clearwater Album _FLimdoozie_ which features special guest Otis Rush
>on guitar.

Check out the Charles Brown version of "Black Night". This is, IMHO, the
definative version. There was also an excellent version on the recent album,
"Harp Attack".

Bruce

--
Bruce Dumes | It came in a vision - a man appeared on a |
Stratus Computer, Inc. | flaming pie and said unto them 'From this |

Greg Wohletz

Dec 30, 1991, 6:40:20 PM12/30/91
In article <10...@lectroid.sw.stratus.com>, b...@pismo.sw.stratus.com (Bruce Dumes) writes:
) From: b...@pismo.sw.stratus.com (Bruce Dumes)
) Subject: Re: Help identifying "Dark night is coming"
) Date: Mon, 30 Dec 91 12:05:11 PST
)
) In article <1991Dec30....@unlv.edu> gr...@duke.cs.unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) writes:
)
) Check out the Charles Brown version of "Black Night". This is, IMHO, the
) definative version. There was also an excellent version on the recent album,
) "Harp Attack".
)

Cotton's version on _Harp Attack_ is good, but the Clearwater/Rush
version is still my favorite. Is the recent Charles Brown album the
one on the bullseye blues label?

--Greg

Bruce Dumes

Dec 31, 1991, 9:31:04 AM12/31/91
In article <1991Dec30....@unlv.edu> gr...@duke.cs.unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) writes:

>Cotton's version on _Harp Attack_ is good, but the Clearwater/Rush
>version is still my favorite. Is the recent Charles Brown album the
>one on the bullseye blues label?
>
> --Greg

I don't have Charles' recent album, and I'm not sure of the label. The
version which I referred to as the definative one is his original recording
with his trio.

Bruce Steinberg

Jan 2, 1992, 1:09:16 AM1/2/92

I knew the '80s were over when b...@pismo.sw.stratus.com (Bruce Dumes) said,
Yo! In article <1991Dec30....@unlv.edu> gr...@duke.cs.unlv.edu (Greg Wohletz) writes:
Yo! >In article <91355.151...@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> GDU...@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Gregory P. Dubois) writes:
Yo! >)
Yo! >) the line "Dark night is coming" was repeated many times, and that the
Yo! >) singer was male.
Yo! >)
Yo! >Perhaps you mean ``Black night is falling''? If so I can think of at
Yo! >least 4 versions of this song that I have access to. The most
Yo! >recently released version is by Buddy Guy on his new album _Damn right
Yo! >I've got the blues_. My favorite version of this song is on the Eddie
Yo! >Clearwater Album _FLimdoozie_ which features special guest Otis Rush
Yo! >on guitar.
Yo! >
Yo!
Yo! Check out the Charles Brown version of "Black Night". This is, IMHO, the
Yo! definative version. There was also an excellent version on the recent album,
Yo! "Harp Attack".
Yo!
////////////////

The Buddy Guy and Harp Attack treatments are great, and it's always hard to
beat Charles Brown, but I've got to nominate for "definitive version" the 1965
R&B hit single by Lowell Fulson. I'm not sure if this is the first version of
this tune (which is credited to Jessie Robinson); anyone know any recordings
earlier than this one?
--
Bruce Steinberg (uunet!sco!bruces, bru...@sco.com)
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Bruce Dumes

Jan 2, 1992, 11:32:35 AM1/2/92
In article <21...@scorn.sco.COM> bruces (Bruce Steinberg) writes:

>I knew the '80s were over when b...@pismo.sw.stratus.com (Bruce Dumes) said,
>Yo!
>Yo! Check out the Charles Brown version of "Black Night". This is, IMHO, the
>Yo! definative version. There was also an excellent version on the recent album,
>Yo! "Harp Attack".
>Yo!
>////////////////
>
>The Buddy Guy and Harp Attack treatments are great, and it's always hard to
>beat Charles Brown, but I've got to nominate for "definitive version" the 1965
>R&B hit single by Lowell Fulson. I'm not sure if this is the first version of
>this tune (which is credited to Jessie Robinson); anyone know any recordings
>earlier than this one?
>--

The Charles Brown version which I was referring to was recorded back in the
40s, I think. I have the recordings at home, I'll try and remember to check
tonight.

Gregory P. Dubois

Jan 2, 1992, 2:16:47 PM1/2/92
Following my somewhat misguided original posting (in my defense, I should
point out that I only heard the last 30 seconds or so of the song, and on
a pretty lousy radio, at that), lots of people have provided helpful
pointers.

E.g.:

On hearing a couple of versions of "Black Night (Is Falling)", it was clear to
me that that was in fact the piece of music I heard.

The two versions I was actually able to find in my local "record" store were

1) on the Charles Brown collection album "Hard Times and Cool Blues"
Sequel Records, collection (p) 1990, NEX CD 133

The "Black Night" cut on this album is (p) 1951, Alladin Records, with
Maxwell Davis, Jesse Ervin, and Wesley Prince.

On the back of the CD is the following statement:

"These titles have been digitally transferred from the best possible
existing sources. In view of their age, an average of 40 years, certain
traces of surface noise and clicks inherent in the source are audible.
Sequel Records suggest [sic] you pop the champagne, open the chocolates,
crank up the CD and settle down to the Cool Blues of Charles Brown."

:)

2) on the Dr. John album "In a Sentimental Mood"
Warner Brothers, (p) 1989, 9 25889-2

I think the latter may have been what I heard on the radio (as pointed out
by Alan J. Stein <al...@ll.mit.edu>, Dr. John's voice is "unmistakable").
I find both recordings very enjoyable, and of course there are many other
classics on the Charles Brown collection.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.