How do you pronounce Carla Bley?

Ralph Geiger

Apr 28, 1994, 9:39:27 PM4/28/94
The subject line pretty much sums up this post.

My instinct is to rhyme Bley with fly, but I've heard other folks rhyme
it with flay. And they're not sure either.

Can anyone help me out?
--
Ralph Geiger
<gei...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu>

Michael Mann

Apr 29, 1994, 9:39:26 AM4/29/94
In article <2ppogf$7...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu> gei...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu (Ralph Geiger) writes:

>My instinct is to rhyme Bley with fly, but I've heard other folks rhyme
>it with flay. And they're not sure either.

Just yesterday I was listening to a tape of the old radio show
"Jazz Alive" hosted by Billy Taylor. He was introducing Paul
Bley, Carla's ex-husband and he pronounced it so it rhymed with
say or may.

Michael Mann

Glenn Lea

Apr 29, 1994, 1:34:45 PM4/29/94
In article <2ppogf$7...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu> gei...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu (Ralph Geiger) writes:

My instinct is to rhyme Bley with fly, but I've heard other folks rhyme
it with flay. And they're not sure either.

Simple. It rhymes with Paul Bley. :)

I *think* it rhymes with flay. Whenever I've heard her mentioned from
onstage (as in "this piece is by Carla Bley"), it's been that way.
--
Glenn Lea

paul drobny

Apr 29, 1994, 4:13:41 PM4/29/94
In article <2ppogf$7...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>
gei...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu (Ralph Geiger) writes:

> My instinct is to rhyme Bley with fly, but I've heard other folks rhyme
> it with flay. And they're not sure either.

bley rhymes with day.

paul drobny opinions are those of the author

Ernie Hood

May 1, 1994, 2:18:06 AM5/1/94
Ralph, it rhymes with "flay." Did you happen to see her along with spouse
Steve Swallow at the ArtsCenter year before last? A classic show...I'm a big
fan who'd been waiting almost 20 years for a chance to see her live. Posting
from Durham.

Yoshio Yamamoto

May 5, 1994, 4:27:34 PM5/5/94

Is Steve Swallow her spouse now? I thought she was still with Michael
Mantler. No wonder though. When I saw their duet at the Knitting Factory, NY.
in early 1989 and in Tokyo some time 1990, I felt a strong chemistry
between them which made their performance exceptionally warm and intimate
ones. Steve Swallow is still the best electric bass player in my mind.
Carla Bley? You can tell from Charlie Haden's "Dreamkeeper".

Yoshio Yamamoto