Keith Jarrett Standards v1 -- what's with the hum???

Archie E. Johnson

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
Hi guys,

Just bought the now highly popular and recommended album among this
newsgroup, "Standards vol 1" by Jarrett, Peacock, and DeJohnette. One
question -- what's with the humming and grunting in the background???!? And
which one of them is doing it? And, IMO, spoiling the music (at times the
hum goes out of tune) ? Are all the Jarrett albums like so? In which case,
Jarret would have to be the culprit. I think the music is great -- the track
"God bless the child" is absolutely sweet! But the hums and grunts gets on
my nerve... really. Please, someone tell me i'm not alone in this.

-- AJ

scottmcf

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
Yes, Keith's been doing that since way back. I think it sounds okay for
the most part.

I just bought the 5-CD Impulse set (forget the name) with the first 5
Impulse LPs by Jarrett with Haden, Redman, Motion - anyone got any
comments on that music?

DSGTRANE wrote:

> >what's with the humming and grunting in the background???!
>

> As you surmised, it's Jarrett. Never bothered me all that much but many others
> have been turned off by it.
>
> David Gartner
> dsgt...@aol.com

DSGTRANE

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99

Mark Henteleff

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
In article <19990713224948...@ng-fu1.aol.com>,

IMHO, Jarrett's humming and grunting are major distractions to
his beautiful music. Someone (producers, engineers, fellow
musicians) should either a) work on getting the micing down
to reduce it (more) or b) mic his grunts closer and give him
a recording of it and see how he likes it. As much as I love
a lot of Jarrett's music, the man is really in need of some
serious behavior modification therapy.

Mark H.

Adam Schneit

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
As far as I'm concerned, Keith can do whatever he wants, as long as he keeps
making such incredible music. I was just checking "My Song" yesterday- what
a compositional, improvisational genius! I can't wait to hear what comes of
these rumors that he's forming a new group, possibly with Joe Lovano...now
how good could that sound?

-adam

JazzIs7964

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
He has been asked many times about his grunting, and he has always said that he
finds it necessary to his creative process. Many other people do similar
things. If you listen closely, you can even hear herbie hancock doing it.
Most people do this grunting thing to get closer to horn phrasing. If they
grun along with their lines, then when they run out of breath, then their line
will be done too

Mailmanray

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
The grunting and humming does'nt bother me now...but it did when I first
started listening to Jarrett's music. But that was a long time ago. I guess,
the only thing that bothers me really about listening to Keith Jarrett cds is
my wife, who sits there and immitates his grunts and humming and asks me if I'm
listening to "'Popeye" again.

Steve Bosarge

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99

JazzIs7964 <> wrote in message:

The champion jazz pianistic grunter-groaner before Keith Jarrett clearly was
the late Erroll Garner. He had a deep rather than pansy voice and it wasn't
bothersome like Jarrett's sometimes is. On Garner's best album, "Concert by
the Sea," Garner was introduced and coaxed to say a few words to let the
audience hear his speaking voice. He complied, in a hoarse rasp, by
saying: "it's worser than Louis Armstrong." It was.

Steve Bosarge

tkozal

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
Well, I have followed the lead of this great musician, and I now mike
(ohhh......ahhh......grooooaaan......psst....ahhhhhah......groan..........)
my computer keyboard. The sounds are then translated to text. Being
(groaan...grunt..grunt...grunt....oooooooo........grunt.......ah..............)
such a creative person, these groans and noises are essential to me
(grungrunt........urrghh....aahhhhhhhhh....groan.........ohhhh...grunt)
channelling the true spirit of creativity. If people don't like it,
(ahah..urgh..gruntgrunt.............moan...........ah.............grunt)
they can piss off...
(FART)

I really wish he would shut up.......

Gary Milliken

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99

>>what's with the humming and grunting in the background???!
>
>As you surmised, it's Jarrett. Never bothered me all that much but many others
>have been turned off by it.

Try to find a recording of Lionel Hampton live, on any occasion at which
he's feeling good and enthusiastic (which is to say, almost any time).
His vocal ejaculations make Keith Jarrett sound downright mute. I had
the same feeling the first times I heard early live recordings of Oscar
Peterson, also. And don't even get me started on Glenn Gould...

GM

Goodman/Robinson

Jul 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/14/99
I read somewhere that Jarrett likens his grunting and groaning to vomiting.
That, for him, to make art is to vomit oneself inside out. I like the noise,
myself. It measures his immersion in the music, his rapture.

-**** Posted from RemarQ, http://www.remarq.com/?c ****-
Search and Read Usenet Discussions in your Browser

Zapbailey

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
tko...@mindspring.com (tkozal) wrote:

>I really wish he would shut up.......

Why? Can you hear him from his home in Connecticut? This guy has been
grunting on records since Johnson was in the White House- why do people (namely
critics) still insist on dwelling on the obvious? The Pope will always be
Catholic and Keith will always grunt- if either disturbs you, become a
Unitarian and listen to non- grunting pianists like, say, George Winston.

Art
Hide my true feelings toward my online service to email me.

David

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
On 14 Jul 1999 15:16:54 GMT, jazzi...@aol.com (JazzIs7964) wrote:

>He has been asked many times about his grunting, and he has always said that he
>finds it necessary to his creative process. Many other people do similar
>things. If you listen closely, you can even hear herbie hancock doing it.

I've noticed Herbie doing that also. Is it just me, or do his grunts
sound like a baby crying? Also, I've heard some from Art Blakey as
well.

PRProf

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
>listen to non- grunting pianists like, say, George Winston.

Or Bud Powell or Bill Evans or Joanne Brackeen or Wynton Kelly or Sonny Clark
or....

Bill

Tom Holman

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
I'm crazy about Jarrett's music. The grunting and other noises clearly
detract, but, most of the time, I can ignore or filter out the noises
and become absorbed in the music. There are a few pieces where I
consider the noises so loud and aversive that it negates the music. I
haven't heard anyone else make such intrusive noises. Even Glenn
Gould's humming was pretty soft in comparison to Jarrett.
On 13 Jul 1999 22:09:25 GMT, "Archie E. Johnson"

Dan Given

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Tom Holman wrote:

> I'm crazy about Jarrett's music. The grunting and other noises clearly
> detract, but, most of the time, I can ignore or filter out the noises
> and become absorbed in the music. There are a few pieces where I
> consider the noises so loud and aversive that it negates the music. I
> haven't heard anyone else make such intrusive noises. Even Glenn
> Gould's humming was pretty soft in comparison to Jarrett.

This topic constantly comes up here, and I am always amazed at how
people attempt to separate Jarrett's vocal sounds from his 'music'.
Sorry to break it to you people, but that is part of his music, and if
you don't like it, then you really don't like Jarrett. It is the same
as saying "i really like Evan Parker, but not that circular breathing
stuff" or " I really like Charlie Parker except for the saxophone".

Can this topic please be put in the FAQ, and then go away.

Michael Fitzgerald

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:23:15 -0400, Dan Given <dlg...@julian.uwo.ca>
wrote:

>This topic constantly comes up here, and I am always amazed at how
>people attempt to separate Jarrett's vocal sounds from his 'music'.
>Sorry to break it to you people, but that is part of his music, and if
>you don't like it, then you really don't like Jarrett. It is the same
>as saying "i really like Evan Parker, but not that circular breathing
>stuff" or " I really like Charlie Parker except for the saxophone".

Well said.

>Can this topic please be put in the FAQ, and then go away.

It *has* been put in the FAQ (5.13) - the problem is that people
either don't read it, read it and forget it or ignore it, or feel that
additional "discussion" is somehow valuable and insightful instead of
just plain redundant.

Everyone, make a note -

http://msnyder.dragonfire.net

Mike

fitz...@eclipse.net
http://www.eclipse.net/~fitzgera

tkozal

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
zap dude, it was HUMOR, you do remember such a thing, don't you?

Adam Schneit

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99

PRProf <prp...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >listen to non- grunting pianists like, say, George Winston.
>
> Or Bud Powell or Bill Evans or Joanne Brackeen or Wynton Kelly or Sonny
Clark
> or....
>
> Bill

Sorry, Bud Powell is a grunter. A pretty intense grunter, too. Check out his
playing on Dexter Gordon's "Our Man in Paris."

-adam

chivo...@my-deja.com

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
In article <37907ec9....@news.eclipse.net>,

Thanks for straightening everyone out. The great irony of course is
that while Keith can groan loud enough to drown out the more quiet
passages of a performance (oh that's right it is the performance) he
somehow is able to allow himself to become distracted by some poor
shmuck rustling a page in their program notes in the fifteenth row.
Stopping in mid phrase Keith will wearily shake his head and lecture
the audience on their responsibility to stop breathing and remain
absolutely quiet. This I have seen more than once in his solo settings.
Never with the trio however. Keith seems aware that by sharing the
stage with two musicians of equal (if not greater) ability, he needs to
get on with the show. And lets not forget that it is a show. I have
recently heard that Manfred Eicher from ECM has hit upon a solution to
the situation. Understanding that all the groaning and grunting are
really Keith's unrequited singing urges, the next recording project is
moving forward under the working title "Keith Sings". Details to follow.

Richard Thurston

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Lalibela2

Jul 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/15/99
Archie,
the humming and grunting is part of the Jarrett style.When i first saw him at
the old village Gate in nyc back in the 60's, with Charles Lloyd he was
,humming and grunting and making great music.

bassoma...@my-deja.com

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
What you (and almost every other reply posted) fails to appreciate is
that what Mr. Jarrett is humming (groaning and/or grunting) is WHAT
HE'S HEARING IN HIS HEAD at any particular moment, while attempting
(not always 100% successfully) to play the same on his instrument.

***The ability to hear something in one's mind and translate that to
one's instrument is truly the greatest gift any musician can have.***

I'm certain that all the greatest horn players are/were singing in
their heads as they play(ed), the reason we don't hear them singing is
simply that their mouths happen to be occupied.

Does Jarretts "singing" take away his music? Probably. Is it
annoying? At times. Should we shut and deal with it? Definitely.

All opinions are my own.

David

In article <378cf627...@news.mindspring.com>,

tko...@mindspring.com wrote:
> Well, I have followed the lead of this great musician, and I now mike

(ohhh......ahhh......grooooaaan......psst....ahhhhhah......groan........
..)
> my computer keyboard. The sounds are then translated to text. Being

(groaan...grunt..grunt...grunt....oooooooo........grunt.......ah........
......)
> such a creative person, these groans and noises are essential to me

(grungrunt........urrghh....aahhhhhhhhh....groan.........ohhhh...grunt)
> channelling the true spirit of creativity. If people don't like it,

(ahah..urgh..gruntgrunt.............moan...........ah.............grunt)
> they can piss off...
> (FART)
>

> I really wish he would shut up.......
>

> "Archie E. Johnson" <Archie_...@usa.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >Just bought the now highly popular and recommended album among this
> >newsgroup, "Standards vol 1" by Jarrett, Peacock, and DeJohnette. One
> >question -- what's with the humming and grunting in the
background???!? And
> >which one of them is doing it? And, IMO, spoiling the music (at
times the
> >hum goes out of tune) ? Are all the Jarrett albums like so? In which
case,
> >Jarret would have to be the culprit. I think the music is great --
the track
> >"God bless the child" is absolutely sweet! But the hums and grunts
gets on
> >my nerve... really. Please, someone tell me i'm not alone in this.
> >
> >-- AJ

Adam Schneit

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99

I have
> recently heard that Manfred Eicher from ECM has hit upon a solution to
> the situation. Understanding that all the groaning and grunting are
> really Keith's unrequited singing urges, the next recording project is
> moving forward under the working title "Keith Sings". Details to follow.

Trust me, you don't want to hear an album of Keith singing. Go to CDNow and
check out the sound samples for the reissue of "Restoration Ruin." It's
horrible! The funny thing is, he used to hum pretty close to in-tune with
his playing. Like on "My Song", it's kind of nice the way he sings along
with his lines. Now it's just kind of random pitches. I don't mind it at
all, but I can understand how someone might.

-adam

fer...@usa.net

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
By the way, doesn't Jackie McLean hum and make other such noises? It
sure doesn't take away from his music.

Tmcm99

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
The ECM website reports that Keith has recorded a vocal for the old Lee Dorsey
hit "Workin' In A Coal Mine ". Don't know who else is on the session.
rec.music.gdead

Michael Good

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
Mr. Jarrett is blessedly grunt-free on Belonging, Spirits, and the
Shostakovich 24 Preludes and Fugues. So it is not an inevitable part of his
music. I didn't run into the full-force grunting until I got The Cure.
It's great music on the CD, but I can't be in the same room with it due to
the vocals. That stopped my Jarrett CD purchases for the time being.

I would love to know which other Jarrett recordings have similarly low grunt
content as Belonging! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael

Andy Evans

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
>***The ability to hear something in one's mind and translate that to
>one's instrument is truly the greatest gift any musician can have.***
This is THE TRUTH in case anyone hasn't yet discovered it. Why did Sonny
Rollins take time out? Yes, because he wanted to hear before he played.

TheBaldMonk

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
The grunting does not come from his mouth....and another thing, if the
record companies wanted to sell more of his cd's they would electronicly
edit those horrible sounds, although I love the guys piano playing, the
grunts have kept me from buying more of his stuff. Also my wife rolls her
eyes everytime I put him on and tells me there is someone singing off key
in the background.

In article <19990714111654...@ng-fo1.aol.com>,

--

The sublime fragrance of a fine Cuban cigar, the music
of Miles, Coltrane and Bill Evans, the view of the

Dennis J. Kosterman

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 00:01:45 -0700, "Michael Good"
<good...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Mr. Jarrett is blessedly grunt-free on Belonging, Spirits, and the
>Shostakovich 24 Preludes and Fugues.

>I would love to know which other Jarrett recordings have similarly low grunt

>content as Belonging! Any suggestions?

All of his "Classical" discs are grunt-free. This would include the
Shostakovich mentioned above, as well as his recordings of the music
of Bach, Handel, Mozart, Gurdjieff, and Part. Also his own
classically-oriented stuff (In the Light, Bridge of Light, etc.) --
basically, anything where composition is stressed rather than
improvisation.

Dennis J. Kosterman
den...@tds.net

(np: Stravinsky, "The Rite of Spring" (Bernstein/NYPO))

QuincyJoy1

Aug 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/1/99
There is a long-standing tradition of "Jazz Noises." Frank Zappa even
memoralized them on the title song from the (excellent, by the way and a good
choice for those of you who might've given-up on Zappa back in the '70s (or
'80s), MAKE A JAZZ NOISE HERE. Hilarious! Hmmmm-HAW, haw---ZIM-ha-HUH!
"If I always knew what I meant, I'd be a genius." Phillip Marlowe/Raymond
Chandler.

Sergio Sonico

Feb 23, 2023, 1:09:30 PM2/23/23
Em domingo, 1 de agosto de 1999 às 04:00:00 UTC-3, QuincyJoy1 escreveu:
Has anyone heard Dave Pike on Pike's Groove with The Cedar Walton Trio (1986)? That's why I arrived at this forum directly from Brazil, using google translator. No one will explain the inexplicable and there are "annoying people" like João Gilberto who, in order not to have losses in the audio quality of his shows or records, drove the technical team crazy!!! That's why I'll never understand those guys moaning like calves in heat, spoiling their technique, but if that's the case and you have to accept it, accept it OR NOT!

In time: at least I discovered the meaning of Moaning (title of Bobby Timmons' biggest hit)