Blues at the Ashgrove

Eric Ahlberg

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

Wednesdays, the Blue Shadows

Lotta Texas Music below too.

Look for Bernie Pearl Blues Band with Harmonica Fats
to play here regularly too. (uh, last night).

On the Santa Monica Pier.

All ages welcome.

The kids shows 11 am Saturday mornings are being done by the
same people who do the Hollywood Bowl kids shows.
Tomorrow it's Dan Crow. I caught Limpopo last week
and they were hilarous, and got my 3.5 year old daughter dancing.
August 17 Jammin' JP Nightingale goes around the world.
By the way, the Ashgrove validates for $4 of the $7 daytime charge
for parking on the pier, right behind the club.

Salsa Dancing Instruction Sundays 3-6pm

Recorded Information (310) - 656-8500
Reservations (310) 656-8501

Evening Schedule:

8/16 - Butch Hancock and Townes Van Zandt. The "Dream Team" of Texas
poet laureates on the same bill? A night designed in heaven.

8/17 - Tabu Ley Rochereau and Tambu Combo. Africa's greatest star
and soukous pioneer meets LA's AfroCuban sage. Don't go
to this show, I need more room to dance.

8/18 - 8 1/2 Souvenirs, Cosmopolitan Swing from the heart of Texas?
Musical gypsies that manage to put the swing back into pop.

8/19 - The Truth, OK, it's hard getting people out on Mondays, so this is
probably your last chance to see The Underground Railroad plus DJ's poets and
rappers at this jazzy hip hop dance club. Harry Shearer made it, so can you.

8/20 - Galactic, Swamp funk strait outta New Orleans. Imagine the MG's meet
the Meters and get down. LA debut of this band. Meets course requirements
for Doctorate of Funky Music.

8/21 - The Blue Shadows, formerly the Red Devils. Lester Butler on lead
vocals and harmonica, Bill Bateman on drums, John Bazz on bass, both
from the Blasters, plus special guests.

8/22 - The Carpetbaggers, Minnesota country insurgents. Get there early
and have dinner and drinks on the patio and check out the pier concert
then hang for this LA debut.

8/23 - Ramblin Jack Elliot and Kate MacKenzie, Grammy winning cowboy folk rap
legend is joined by a rising bard and passionate country chantress.

8/24 - Ralph Stanley and Kate MacKenzie, Founding Father of Bluegrass
celebrating his 50th anniversary. High and lonesome bliss.

8/25 - Austin Lounge Lizards, the Texan based Lizards present their wacky and
delightful take on roots traditions.

8/26 - The Truth

8/27 - Peter Case's Flight, a monthly new song review with special guests.

8/28 - The Blue Shadows, see 8/21

8/29 - Jon and the Nightriders, Cowabunga! Surf Music.

8/30 - Quetzalcoatl and Peggy Watson, Celebrating the richness and variety
of Mexican and border music.

8/31 - Maria Muldaur and Guy Davis, Rediscovered roots songstress and acoustic
blues star debut material from new albums. Remember the Jim Kweskin Jug Band,
Midnight at the Oasis, Dont'cha feel my leg, no?, guess that dates me.