Monk in Japan '63 (Need help, please!)

DSands5000

Mar 1, 2001, 7:19:53 AM3/1/01
I just got the CD - Monk in Japan 1963. It's great, but there's no reference
to who the tenor sax player is. It's not in the liner notes. Does anyone know
who it is and why his name was left out? Thanks.

Please email me (or carbon copy) directly. Thanks again.

Brad McFarlane

Mar 1, 2001, 7:37:19 AM3/1/01
to DSands5000
It's probably Charlie Rouse (who was with Monk throughout the sixties).
If you head to:

http://home.achilles.net/~howardm/recordsd.shtml

and scroll down about a quarter of the way, there's a listing for
"Thelonious Monk Quartet In Japan - 1963". The band is listed as Monk /
Rouse / Warren / Dunlop, but the listing says that Rouse is listed as
playing trumpet.

Aloha,
Brad

Glenn Wilson

Mar 1, 2001, 9:51:30 AM3/1/01
I'd have to hear it, but I think Paul Jeffrey is on that album. Paul and I
were on Lionel Hampton's band and touring Japan in 1982 and Paul was
complaining that he couldn't find the album in any of the 'jazz bars'. I
think it's the only recording Paul made with Monk.

Glenn
www.jazzmaniac.com

"DSands5000" <dsand...@aol.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

Martin Milgrim

Mar 1, 2001, 2:22:38 PM3/1/01
This is incorrect. Paul Jeffrey didn't play or at least record with
Monk until the early '70s. I have an LP done in Japan in '72 of the
Monk quartet (and Monk sitting in with a Japanese big band) with PJ on
tenor.

However, back in '63, two dates in Japan were recorded. One was a 2 LP
live set issued subsequently on Columbia. The other, a quartet date
done for Japanese TV is of great interest because it has not only been
issued on various bootleg labels (both LP and CD) but a commercially
released videotape exists which is simply fantastic viewing - the best
Monk on video IMO. Charlie Rouse is the tenor throughout.

Martin

Glenn Wilson

Mar 2, 2001, 8:16:00 AM3/2/01
Aha! Paul told me he recorded live with Monk in Japan but I didn't remember
the year. This clears it up. That's why I said I'd have to hear it. I
could tell Charlie Rouse a mile away (especially when he plays the trumpet
:)). We were also lucky enough to have Frankie Dunlop on the band at the
time too. What a pleasure he was to play (and tour) with.

Does anyone know what happend to Frankie? I know he was ill for a while in
the 80's but never heard if he recovered.

Thanks for clearing this up Martin

Glenn

"Martin Milgrim" <mmil...@gate.net> wrote in message