Yoko's Suicide Threats

F Parella

Aug 9, 2010, 5:58:15 PM8/9/10
I've read that, upon learning in the 70s that his first wife, Cynthia,
was going to write a book about her life with him, Lennon was
hysterical. But when the book appeared, its soft, understated quality
gave him immense relief - so much so that he silently gave thanks
after reading it. In any event, here's a tidbit from Cynthia's first
book, A Twist of Lennon, which exemplifies her subtle way of putting
things:

"The first time that I ever came in contact with Yoko Ono was at a
meditation session in London. Prior to that, letters addressed to
John had arrived at our home asking for his help and support in
getting her book _Grapefruit_ off the ground. She claimed that no one
understood her work and that if someone didn't help her, she would
give up everything. I had also been informed by Dot, the housekeeper,
that she had been to the house on numerous occasions asking after
John, but had been unlucky on all her visits."

So much for Ono's claim that she had had no idea who JL was; and so
much for her claims that she had achieved great "fame" and "success"
prior to meeting JL.

More to the point at hand, what does Cynthia mean when she says Ono
was threatening to "give up everything"?

Here's another, more explicit example of the same strategy of Yoko's,
from Les Anthony (Lennon's limo driver/Mr. Fixit):

"John had been a lad before Yoko came along. We had to change the
Rolls for something less conspicuous in the end because we were always
parking outside some flat until much later than we should have been.
And people noticed.

But there won't be much chance for any of that now. Yoko doesn't
let him out of her sight. There was the time when John was asked to
tea at Cynthia's just to see Julian for the afternoon. He'd only been
there half an hour when he came running, in a terrible state.

'Quick, let's go!' he said. 'That silly bitch's threatening to
commit suicide.'

The housekeeper had rang to tell him Yoko had either taken an
overdose or was about to. Not taking any chances, we rushed back to
town. When we got there, Yoko was lying in bed, looking as if she
were at death's door. After that John didn't go to visit Cynthia and
Julian again."

Fattuchus

Aug 10, 2010, 1:29:48 AM8/10/10
On Aug 9, 5:58 pm, F Parella <f_pare...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've read that, upon learning in the 70s that his first wife, Cynthia,
> was going to write a book about her life with him, Lennon was
> hysterical.

I read that he was thinking of suing.

But when the book appeared, its soft, understated quality
> gave him immense relief - so much so that he silently gave thanks
> after reading it.

IIRC, I read that John was so touched by Cynthia being such a lady, he
was very moved.

Fattuchus

Aug 10, 2010, 1:33:05 AM8/10/10
On Aug 9, 5:58 pm, F Parella <f_pare...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've read that, upon learning in the 70s that his first wife, Cynthia,
> was going to write a book about her life with him, Lennon was
> hysterical.  But when the book appeared, its soft, understated quality
> gave him immense relief - so much so that he silently gave thanks
> after reading it.  In any event, here's a tidbit from Cynthia's first
> book, A Twist of Lennon, which exemplifies her subtle way of putting
> things:
>
> "The first time that I ever came in contact with Yoko Ono was at a
> meditation session in London.  Prior to that, letters addressed to
> John had arrived at our home asking for his help and support in
> getting her book _Grapefruit_ off the ground.  She claimed that no one
> understood her work and that if someone didn't help her, she would
> give up everything.  I had also been informed by Dot, the housekeeper,
> that she had been to the house on numerous occasions asking after
> John, but had been unlucky on all her visits."
>
> So much for Ono's claim that she had had no idea who JL was; and so
> much for her claims that she had achieved great "fame" and "success"
> prior to meeting JL.

This claim by Ono that she did not know who Lennon was has been torn
asunder in Bramwell's excellent book Magical Mystery Tour. Bramwell
worked with Brian Epstein and Apple. Bramwell writes, among other
things, that Brian owned a theater, and booked Yoko amongst other
artists to perform there, long before John met Yoko at Dunbar's
gallery. He gives other examples which show without a doubt that Yoko
knew who the Beatles were and was desperate to find a rich person to
sponsor and promote her career.

Fattuchus

Aug 10, 2010, 1:35:47 AM8/10/10
On Aug 9, 5:58 pm, F Parella <f_pare...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here's another, more explicit example of the same strategy of Yoko's,
> from Les Anthony (Lennon's limo driver/Mr. Fixit):
>
> "John had been a lad before Yoko came along.  We had to change the
> Rolls for something less conspicuous in the end because we were always
> parking outside some flat until much later than we should have been.
> And people noticed.
>
>      But there won't be much chance for any of that now.  Yoko doesn't
> let him out of her sight.  There was the time when John was asked to
> tea at Cynthia's just to see Julian for the afternoon.  He'd only been
> there half an hour when he came running, in a terrible state.
>
>      'Quick, let's go!' he said.  'That silly bitch's threatening to
> commit suicide.'
>
>      The housekeeper had rang to tell him Yoko had either taken an
> overdose or was about to.  Not taking any chances, we rushed back to
> town.  When we got there, Yoko was lying in bed, looking as if she
> were at death's door.  After that John didn't go to visit Cynthia and
> Julian again."

Yes, I read about that incident.

Plus I also read (I believe in one of Cynthia's books) that when Yoko
was chasing John to be a sponsor of her shows, in at least one of her
letters she claimed that if she did not become famous, she might kill
herself.

John was a gentle soul with a soft heart, and, IMO, he could be made
to fall for such guilt trips.

topaz

Aug 10, 2010, 6:55:06 AM8/10/10
On Aug 9, 5:58 pm, F Parella <f_pare...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thanks for sharing this. Such a shame that John was manipulated this
way, especially after Brian Epstein's death.

who?

Aug 10, 2010, 9:19:26 AM8/10/10

Brian must have thought Yoko had talent, which proves John wasn't
the first one to promote her. Does the book say she was famous
before she meant John?

Fattuchus

Aug 14, 2010, 1:29:20 AM8/14/10
> before she meant John?-

I don't remember if the book called her "famous." Probably not. But
Yoko was certainly working as an artist, although she was a starving
artist at the time.

who?

Aug 14, 2010, 3:58:15 AM8/14/10

The point is, somebody noticed her before John did and
gave her a break.

Fattuchus

Aug 15, 2010, 1:57:02 AM8/15/10
> gave her a break.-

True. Yoko was a performing artist long before she met John. She did
attract attention here and there. But was she "Famous" with a capital
"F"? No.

who?

Aug 15, 2010, 3:45:34 AM8/15/10

I wasn't aware the word "famous" required a capital F.

Fattuchus

Aug 15, 2010, 5:40:51 AM8/15/10
> I wasn't aware the word "famous" required a capital F.-

It's an expression, Jeff.

Some people are "famous" in the sense that they attract an audience of
200 people, most of them invited guests. Other people are "F A M O U
S" in the sense that they can fill Yankee Stadium with fans.

who?

Aug 15, 2010, 8:34:52 AM8/15/10

I know Fatt. But It was a good comeback.

:-)

> Some people are "famous" in the sense that they attract an audience of
> 200 people, most of them invited guests.  Other people are "F A M O U
> S" in the sense that they can fill Yankee Stadium with fans.

Right, and some people are famous cause they think so,
others aren't as famous and they think, and some are
really famous, and some are more famous than they
believe they are.....say for example, John Lennon,
which cost him his life. You've seen that interview
where he claims he's safe in NY...cause nobody
bothers him?

BlackMonk

Aug 15, 2010, 11:38:27 AM8/15/10

"who?" <yourimag...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Haven't you heard of Famous Amos cookies?

Fattuchus

Aug 16, 2010, 5:09:02 AM8/16/10
On Aug 15, 8:34 am, "who?"

> > Some people are "famous" in the sense that they attract an audience of
> > 200 people, most of them invited guests.  Other people are "F A M O U
> > S" in the sense that they can fill Yankee Stadium with fans.
>
> Right, and some people are famous cause they think so,
> others aren't as famous and they think, and some are
> really famous, and some are more famous than they
> believe they are.....say for example, John Lennon,
> which cost him his life. You've seen that interview
> where he claims he's safe in NY...cause nobody

> bothers him?-

Yes, I read that. I recall he said he felt safe in New York City . I
think John gave that interview or said something very similar just a
few weeks before he was brutally murdered. Just thinking about it
makes me very sad.

who?

Aug 16, 2010, 5:59:55 AM8/16/10
On Aug 15, 10:38 am, "BlackMonk" <BlackM...@msn.com> wrote:
> "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Come to think of it, I have.

who?

Aug 16, 2010, 6:01:21 AM8/16/10

The interview is in youtube....I believe, and took place in 1975,
though I could be wrong.

F Parella

Aug 16, 2010, 6:18:16 PM8/16/10
On Aug 10, 1:35 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

This tactic of Ono's must have had particular force with John because
he identified her with his mother (for some reason). That is, Yoko
could induce him to flash back on his mother's death, which so
traumatized him as a child.

"I know his deepest fears," Ono boasted to May Pang.

F Parella

Aug 16, 2010, 6:19:58 PM8/16/10
On Aug 10, 9:19 am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Ono turned her first two husbands, Toschi Ichiyanagi and Tony Cox,
into her promoters. "I view men as assistants," she has admitted.
And in return, she cheated on these men.

Danny McEvoy

Aug 16, 2010, 6:27:34 PM8/16/10
> And in return, she cheated on these men.- Hide quoted text -

Parella! Are you NYC based?? or DC???

Maybe you could come to McSorley's..just a thought...

Danny

who?

Aug 16, 2010, 6:58:29 PM8/16/10

You can study Yoko or any number of people for the rest of
your life, but have no control over how they behave. Yoko
is just who she is like the rest of us.

Fattuchus

Aug 17, 2010, 4:10:20 AM8/17/10

> "I know his deepest fears," Ono boasted to May Pang.-

IMO John would have made a fascinating study in human psychology. I
wish someone with a psychology or psychiatry background would do a
detailed analysis about John.

I recently read a book by a psychologist (can't recall his name right
now) . . . I think the book was called something like "When you Best
Isn't Good Enough." Sorry, can't recall it.

But the point of the book is that sometimes a child is raised by a
very controlling, highly critical parent. As a result, the child grows
up to be an insecure adult, lacking in confidence and not knowing how
to function fully on his own. The author calls these people "defeated
perfectionists."

Because such people are anxious and have little confidence, they
often have one or both behavior patterns: they are lazy, emotionally
needy, underachievers, and often engage in self destructive behavior
(like John) on the one hand; or, in the alternative, they rebel and
act up, getting into trouble (like John)

Fattuchus

Aug 17, 2010, 4:13:47 AM8/17/10

> Ono turned her first two husbands, Toschi Ichiyanagi and Tony Cox,
> into her promoters.  "I view men as assistants," she has admitted.

> And in return, she cheated on these men.-

In various interviews, Yoko stated that her mother drilled it into her
head that if she got married and/or had children, it would harm her
career. Yoko's main goal in life was to be rich, famous and
successful. She herself said during her Playboy interview that she
wanted to be the breadwinner in the family, and that she supposedly
was different than most other women because she did not become too
emotionally attached to a man.

For Yoko, her career was of utmost important. Any marriage had to
serve that purpose.

who?

Aug 17, 2010, 8:21:21 AM8/17/10
On Aug 17, 3:13 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Ono turned her first two husbands, Toschi Ichiyanagi and Tony Cox,
> > into her promoters.  "I view men as assistants," she has admitted.
> > And in return, she cheated on these men.-
>
> In various interviews, Yoko stated that her mother drilled it into her
> head that if she got married and/or had children, it would harm her
> career.  Yoko's main goal in life was to be rich, famous and
> successful.  She herself said during her Playboy interview that she
> wanted to be the breadwinner in the family, and that she supposedly
> was different than most other women because she did not become too
> emotionally attached to a man.

Yoko said this, Yoko said that. What would it take for you to quit
giving a crap? Is she really that important?

Phat Harry Chu

Aug 17, 2010, 8:42:36 AM8/17/10
On Aug 17, 8:21 am, "who?" <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Yoko said this, Yoko said that. What would it take for you to quit
> giving a crap? Is she really that important?

Si Yoko n'existait pas, il faudrait l'inventer.

Megan Meadows

Nov 17, 2021, 4:38:43 AM11/17/21
We CAN remove Tax Liens, Repo’s,
Late Payments & Bankruptcies from your credit!
The Credit People can help!
Text us now at (614) 414-2437. Reply STOP to Cance.