George:Before or after LSD?

1 view

Dwayne...@webtv.net

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
Was George a better musician before he discovered LSD or after he had
his first trip?

Amaranth56

Oct 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/9/99
>Was George a better musician before he discovered LSD or after he
>had his first trip?

After, but only because with time he became more experienced. IOW, his taking
drugs and his improved ability are parallel events, and one wasn't the cause of
the other. They happened during the same time.

I think George's improvement as an overall musician was more likely the result
of seriously studying Indian music with Ravi Shankar and practicing the sitar 3
hours daily.

- - -
Every society honors its live conformists and its dead troublemakers.
-- Mignon McLaughlin

I'll probably be knighted, sainted, whatever when I'm dead. They love you when
you're dead. When you're alive you're just an embarrassment. -- JWL

Purlsplash

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
was george a musician? he didnt think he was a beatle during all things must
pass.

Sir Zeus

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
>Use of recreational drugs, despite popular belief, has never improved
>anyone's performance.

You don't think drugs had ANY influence on their music?

>Even though all of the Beatles obviously used drugs they fortunately had
>the sense not to abuse them to the extent that some of their peers had.

What? The Beatles did their fair share of abusing drugs just as everyone
else in the music biz does. Especially John. He was hooked on pills and
alcohol up until he got into pot. Then when he was turned onto acid, he
abused that too. Then he got hooked on smack, then coke. The other Beatles
have abused drugs as well.

CYBERFLOYD

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
<< Even though all of the Beatles obviously used drugs they fortunately had
the sense not to abuse them to the extent that some of their peers had. >>

John probably used LSD and heroin about as much as anybody.
I think George has made statements where he basically said he lost interest
in the guitar as he got into Indian things and only played it for Beatles'
sessions.So I wouldn't say his abilities in that area improved im '66 '67.<<

Newfilm99

Oct 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/10/99
>Was George a better musician before he discovered LSD or after he had
>his first trip?

I'm not sure that he was a better musician, per se, from drug use...but, I
think all of the Beatles would've readily agreed that they're songwriting
changed and improved as a result of it. It's hard to imagine anything after
'Beatles for Sale' without their use of drugs.

Consider:

Pre-marijuana: The Beatles are a nice, extremely talented, moptop rock n' roll
band. Their progression as musicians and songwriters from 'Please Please Me'
to 'Beatles for Sale' is noticeably improved, but mostly 'cosmetic.' Each of
these four albums are standouts and hold up well to this day, but, one could
easily swap tracks from album to album, and hardly notice the difference.

Introduction to marijuana: During the 'Help' period, the four are introduced to
pot by Bob Dylan. Suddenly, they're thought processes are altered in ways
never before conceivable. Sounds suddenly sound different. Objects look as
they never have before. Ideas that are 'out of the box,' so to speak, are
introduced - and explored.

Do you think George's introduction to the sitar on the set of 'Help' would've
been as profound without pot? It seems to me that a working class lad suddenly
thrust into superstardom wouldn't have had the time to be bothered with
anything of that sort - except that his mind had been 'expanded' by pot. It's
not that he had to be stoned at the very moment he first heard it; but, rather,
that he had been stoned before and thus was more readily eager to accept 'far
out' and 'strange' sounds.

Nothing before 'Help' suggested the direction the Beatles would be taking.
And, I believe that it is understood by all involved that that direction was
taken due to marijuana.

Ric Napoli

Oct 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/11/99
JSM wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> I did omit John's prolonged abuse, but otherwise they all claim to have
> quit serious drug abuse (cocaine, LSD for example) fairly early on (I
> did say they OBVIOUSLY used drugs, that fact is well known by most. I
> also remember their post-Beatles busts.). Fortunately they've never
> been known to overdose or find the need for drug rehab.

Ringo went into rehab and Lennon certainly detoxed from H

Sir Zeus

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
>I don't know that Lennon ever went into a program. I think he detoxed
>on his own.

Lennon quit cold turkey. Hence the song "Cold Turkey."

Tom

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99

>>I don't know that Lennon ever went into a program. I think he detoxed
>>on his own.
>
>Lennon quit cold turkey.

I never knew he was addicted to Thanksgiving leftovers.

Ric Napoli

Oct 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/12/99
JSM wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes

> I don't know that Lennon ever went into a program. I think he detoxed
> on his own.

I don't think he ever did a program either, but he did detox -- that's
still rehab, and an indicator of a serious habit.

RGrimes10

Oct 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/13/99
JSM js...@pacbell.net wrote:

> He (John) also had an early problem with
>pimento loaf.

As I understand it, John was about to form a new group called "Pimento and The
Cheeses" so I'm not so sure he had thoroughly given up the loaf.
God, I miss the boy!