I seek your opinion...

Danny McEvoy

May 5, 2011, 9:08:30 PM5/5/11
As you know I'm covereing every UK Music Week number one of the
sixties during the year 2011. So far I have done 78 and there are 107
to go..I should do this easily..so I'm left with a bit of a
dilemma..what to do do next and stretch myself with...if and when I
finish this journey..do I ..Cover every UK number two..there are 130
songs that got to number two and didn't get to number one?..do I cover
the songs that got to number one in the NME chart in the UK..there are
20 songs..If I do every number 2..it only leaves six songs to do on
the NME chart..or...

Do I cover every USA number one of the 1960s?

It has been argued that I am intrinsically British so should just
leave the American market alone since the definintion of my being is
basically UK and that's the charm of the covers...but then the
majority of my views on YT are US...

What would be the best achievement? to have covered every UK and US
number one of the sixties in a year..or to have covered every UK
number one and two of the sixties?

Your opinions please?

Danny

Mack A. Damia

May 5, 2011, 9:53:32 PM5/5/11

Best not to scratch your bum in public.

who?

May 5, 2011, 10:47:48 PM5/5/11

How about just some great songs to go along with those?
I like a couple of Tommy Bolin tunes. I don't really know
if the two songs I like are hits? How bout "Round and Round"
by The Edgar Winter group? I don't think it was a hit though.
Hits aren't always the best choices. Anything out of the
ordinary that would blow peoples minds. "High Lonesome"
by Charlie Daniels? Part of the chord progression is similar
to "Guitar Gently Weeps. Kenny Rogers early songs?
"Something's Burning"? How bout Turtles songs?
Johnny Cash, "A boy named Sue"? Elvis's later songs
are good.

who?

May 5, 2011, 10:52:42 PM5/5/11

"Jack n. Jill" Tommy Roe. I like Glen Campbell. "Rhinestone
Cowboy"? I love all sorts of music.

marcus

May 5, 2011, 11:10:24 PM5/5/11
Danny,

This may sound like a strange idea, but did the pirate radio stations,
like Radio Caroline or Radio Luxembourg keep charts of the most
popular song or album of the week? If they did, maybe you could do
their #1s for the 1960s. Could be interesting, and quite different
from the songs you are covering now, as they started to be more album-
oriented towards the late 60s.

Just an idea.

Marc

http://marccatone.webs.com

Message has been deleted

Jim Beam

May 6, 2011, 6:28:03 AM5/6/11
> Cowboy"? I love all sorts of music.- Hide quoted text -

"Classical Gas" by Mason Williams. (If memory severs me right).

moonpie

May 6, 2011, 10:03:14 AM5/6/11
On Thu, 5 May 2011 18:08:30 -0700 (PDT), Danny McEvoy
<thewalru...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Your opinions please?

Do your own original stuff.

Lord Valve

May 6, 2011, 10:19:04 AM5/6/11
Danny McEvoy wrote:

> Your opinions please?

Get a fuckin' JOB.

LV

who?

May 6, 2011, 6:53:34 PM5/6/11

There you go.

who?

May 6, 2011, 6:54:28 PM5/6/11
On May 6, 9:03 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2011 18:08:30 -0700 (PDT), Danny McEvoy
>
> <thewalruswasda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Your opinions please?
>
> Do your own original stuff.

Problem is, the general public doesn't care to hear
original material.

who?

May 6, 2011, 6:56:03 PM5/6/11

He does have a job, but it's not my place to tell you
what it is, and it shouldn't concern you.

Danny McEvoy

May 6, 2011, 7:29:34 PM5/6/11
On May 6, 3:03 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2011 18:08:30 -0700 (PDT), Danny McEvoy
>
> <thewalruswasda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Your opinions please?
>
> Do your own original stuff.

Cheers Moonpie..there are many songs of my own material on my YT
channel..if you go to the channel (TheWalruswasdanny) and go to the
playlists they're all there including Beatle type connected
things.."The Ladder Comes Crashing Down" for example is linked to the
meeting of J&Y at the indica in 66...I am quite prolific in writing my
own material...

Cheers

Boogie

Danny

Danny McEvoy

May 6, 2011, 7:33:29 PM5/6/11

Thank you Jeff...the details of my private life are confidential as
I'm sure you can appreciate here on usenet!!

Danny

Eric Ramon

May 6, 2011, 10:13:39 PM5/6/11

LV is too busy posing for pictures with his gun, pretending to be a
tough guy. For all I know, he *is* a tough guy but he looks like a
goofball when he's pretending to frighten off his friends, who are
pretending to be thieves or something.

Jim Beam

May 6, 2011, 10:15:28 PM5/6/11

Wrote a song about it, wanna here it?
Done in a blues way.

"Get a fuckin' JOB".......
can't get no knob.........

Message has been deleted

The Nice Mean Man

May 7, 2011, 3:20:40 AM5/7/11

Utter skin-deep BULLSHIT. So sorry if it's the truth.........

TNMM

Danny McEvoy

May 7, 2011, 4:20:18 AM5/7/11
> Utter skin-deep BULLSHIT. So sorry if it's the truth.........

Thanks Iben! Nice to see you back!

Danny

moonpie

May 9, 2011, 9:32:34 AM5/9/11

who cares what the general public wants?

If he wants to get into a cover band and try to make money, then,
great. He's not making any money singing cover tunes on the internet
is he?

Why not try some original material?

who?

May 9, 2011, 11:57:33 PM5/9/11
On May 9, 8:32 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2011 15:54:28 -0700 (PDT), "who?"
>
> <yourimageunre...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >On May 6, 9:03 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Do your own original stuff.
>
> >Problem is, the general public doesn't care to hear
> >original material.
>
> who cares what the general public wants?

I don't or I wouldn't post my own original material that
mostly goes ignored. I'm just saying that in my
opinion, it's better if people don't post their own
material if they want more views on Youtube,
cause the general public doesn't care to hear original
music.

> If he wants to get into a cover band and try to make money, then,
> great. He's not making any money singing cover tunes on the internet
> is he?

No, but he said a couple of days ago that he wanted to be famous.
How will you get famous if your videos mostly get ignored cause
nobody much watches them?

> Why not try some original material?

He already has original material on youtube. I believe
he even said so in this thread.

moonpie

May 10, 2011, 10:56:57 AM5/10/11

Yeah, he did.... I wasnt aware of it because he seldom, or never,
posts the links in here

who?

May 10, 2011, 12:29:32 PM5/10/11

Well, I remember at one time he was posting links here to his
original material....about 6 months to a year ago. He quit
posting them to my knowledge after he decided to cover
every Beatles song. That became his priority. Anyhow, I
wasn't trying to say it's wrong for posters to post their own
material....cause this newsgroup has lost tons of posters
the last couple of years. If it weren't for posters like Danny
to put up links to their music...this newsgroup would be
mostly dead.

moonpie

May 10, 2011, 1:25:54 PM5/10/11

I wasnt here then.

He quit
>posting them to my knowledge after he decided to cover
>every Beatles song. That became his priority. Anyhow, I
>wasn't trying to say it's wrong for posters to post their own
>material....cause this newsgroup has lost tons of posters
>the last couple of years.

I can sort of see why.

who?

May 10, 2011, 3:57:01 PM5/10/11

I understand.

>  He quit
>
> >posting them to my knowledge after he decided to cover
> >every Beatles song. That became his priority. Anyhow, I
> >wasn't trying to say it's wrong for posters to post their own
> >material....cause this newsgroup has lost tons of posters
> >the last couple of years.
>
> I can sort of see why.

Yep, with all the trolls, arguments on topic/off, Facebook.
The list is endless, but it would help if more posters
would start threads, and please the people who want
to remain on topic too. I really don't mind the off topic
threads as long as people get along, but that's me.
You're a musician aren't you? I would like to hear
some of your material.

moonpie

May 10, 2011, 4:20:14 PM5/10/11

sure!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=934204

some covers and some originals, most of it is a girl singing, but I
played all the guitar and recorded and mixed it all at home. the
second song, a rockabilly thing, is all me.

who?

May 10, 2011, 6:02:28 PM5/10/11
On May 10, 3:20 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2011 12:57:01 -0700 (PDT), "who?"

You're a very talented guitarist, and I love all the songs including
the second song that's all you. I'm surprised you're into the
Beatles.

TheWalrusWasDanny

May 10, 2011, 7:49:03 PM5/10/11
> Yeah, he did.... I wasnt aware of it because he seldom, or never,
> posts the links in here-

Hi Moonpie...I usually post in original material in here..and the
Jazzy vids (because she insists I do!)..the UK number ones I'm not
really bothering since they're OT really...incidentally the trolls are
doing quite well..in that I'm just not coming into RMB as much..so the
battering is working..why come to a place to read
bollocks...particulary when I can inhabit FB and talk to Beatle people
that I can monitor..saying that I won't disappear...there will be
another McSorleys this year!

Danny

moonpie

May 11, 2011, 9:49:41 AM5/11/11

thanks for listening!

I grew up with the Bealtes, I saw them on Ed Sullivan. (I was 4, I
think, but I remember it... mostly because my older sister got so
excited she peed on the bed)

Anyway, guitar-wise I've never been a "pop" player, they didnt
influence me so much as a guitar player, but, I always liked their
music and their songwriting.

That cover band did a bunch of Beatles songs; we'd sort of rock them
up, maybe change the riff a little bit. always fun.

It wasnt until a long time after I had been playing, that I began to
listen to them again, and realized they were all very good guitar
players.

Except maybe Ringo.

who?

May 11, 2011, 12:43:40 PM5/11/11
On May 11, 8:49 am, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 May 2011 15:02:28 -0700 (PDT), "who?"

No problem. I enjoyed it. Noticed you were a fan of Jeez4's (sp?)
music. I'm also a fan.

> I grew up with the Bealtes, I saw them on Ed Sullivan. (I was 4, I
> think, but I remember it... mostly because my older sister got so
> excited she peed on the bed)

That's funny My girlfriend thinks many of those young
girls back then were just acting....and following some
of their others with their screaming. I told her that their
music really did cause these type of reactions.

> Anyway, guitar-wise I've never been a "pop" player, they didnt
> influence me so much as a guitar player, but, I always liked their
> music and their songwriting.
>
> That cover band did a bunch of Beatles songs; we'd sort of rock them
> up, maybe change the riff a little bit. always fun.
>
> It wasnt until a long time after I had been playing, that I began to
> listen to them again, and realized they were all very good guitar
> players.
>
> Except maybe Ringo.

All he had to do was to move his fingers around on the guitar,
to find more chords.

:-)

moonpie

May 11, 2011, 12:55:00 PM5/11/11

some of it definitely fits the "tribal hysteria" myth

thats what a large part of the fascination with pop idols really is.

Partly, the girls all want the pop idols, because all the other girls
want them too.

Partly anyway.

>> Anyway, guitar-wise I've never been a "pop" player, they didnt
>> influence me so much as a guitar player, but, I always liked their
>> music and their songwriting.
>>
>> That cover band did a bunch of Beatles songs; we'd sort of rock them
>> up, maybe change the riff a little bit. always fun.
>>
>> It wasnt until a long time after I had been playing, that I began to
>> listen to them again, and realized they were all very good guitar
>> players.
>>
>> Except maybe Ringo.
>
>All he had to do was to move his fingers around on the guitar,
>to find more chords.

LOL

well according to Billy gibbons (ZZ Top) you only need two chords

;-)

who?

May 11, 2011, 1:13:59 PM5/11/11

:-)

Yeah, I was never much of a fan of ZZ Top, and I will add Steppinwolf
(sp?)
to the list. I knew one guy in the late 60's who had just one album,
and played Magic Carpet Ride over and over and over again.
The entire album.

moonpie

May 11, 2011, 1:32:31 PM5/11/11

Haha

I've covered Born To Be Wild (threatened with bodily injury once if we
didnt play it) and Magic Carpet Ride waaaaay too many times.

I'm friends with a guy who works for Billy Gibbons, I've met them all,
watched them from onstage, up close, stage left three times. Its not
for everybody but to me, for blues rock, those guys are the real deal.

who?

May 11, 2011, 2:18:12 PM5/11/11
On May 11, 12:32 pm, moonpie <mr_rc_moon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2011 10:13:59 -0700 (PDT), "who?"

Oh Gawd.

:-)

> I'm friends with a guy who works for Billy Gibbons, I've met them all,
> watched them from onstage, up close, stage left three times. Its not
> for everybody but to me, for blues rock, those guys are the real deal.

I might enjoy their music more today then I did back then, like
many other bands, with the exception of "Floyds" Dark side of
the moon. I've tried so many times to get into that album and
just can't, and the same goes for The Who.

moonpie

May 11, 2011, 2:42:48 PM5/11/11
On Wed, 11 May 2011 11:18:12 -0700 (PDT), "who?"
<yourimag...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> I'm friends with a guy who works for Billy Gibbons, I've met them all,
>> watched them from onstage, up close, stage left three times. Its not
>> for everybody but to me, for blues rock, those guys are the real deal.
>
>I might enjoy their music more today then I did back then, like
>many other bands, with the exception of "Floyds" Dark side of
>the moon. I've tried so many times to get into that album and
>just can't, and the same goes for The Who.

Different strokes for different folks you know.

An internet pal of mine, gifted guitar player, HATES the Beatles.

With a passion.

that doesnt make him a terrible musician.

You like what you like, and thats kind of all there is to it.