Ringo's Tour...mini-review

Mark Walsh

Jul 25, 1989, 4:04:02 PM7/25/89
SI received this "mini-review" of Ringo's first show by e-mail today.

Anyone out there have a complete set list?

Letter follows:

ubject: Re: Ringo's Tour...how is it?
Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles

For some reason, I can't post from here; you can
post this if you want, but mainly I'm responding to your
query about Ringo's tour.

I saw the show last night (7/23) here in Dallas. It was very
enjoyable. Ringo did pretty well, except that he was occasionally
upstaged by members of the "All-Starr Band," notably Joe Walsh,
Nils Lofgren, Dr. John. Also featured were Billy Preston,
Levon Helm, "the bass player from the Band (I forget his name) ",
Jim Keltner (drummer on the Wilburys LP, among other things),
and Clarence Clemons.

It was as much these peoples' show as Ringo's; the
typical course of events would be Ringo performing 3 songs followed
by a tune from each of the memebers of the band, followed by 3 of Ringo's
numbers, etc.

Let's see, if I can remember some of Ringo's numbers:

1. It Don't Come Easy
2. No No Song
3. Yellow Submarine
4. Act Naturally
5. You're Sixteen
6. Honey Don't
7. Boys
8. Photograph
9. Back off Boogaloo
10. With a Little Help from My Friends

There were others, I think, but I can't remember them.

Joe Walsh did some tunes that I don't think he wrote, but
is associated with as a result of his tenure with the Eagles.

1. Life in the Fast Lane (didn't Don Henley write this)
2. Desperado ( another Henley tune )
3. Rocky Mountain Way (OK, this was his )

Anyway, it was a fun show.

-Russ

Steve Horvath

Jul 29, 1989, 8:33:56 PM7/29/89

> I saw the show last night (7/23) here in Dallas. It was very
> enjoyable. Ringo did pretty well, except that he was occasionally
> upstaged by members of the "All-Starr Band," notably Joe Walsh,
> Nils Lofgren, Dr. John. Also featured were Billy Preston,
> Levon Helm, [Rick Danko], Jim Keltner, and Clarence Clemons.

> It was as much these peoples' show as Ringo's; the
> typical course of events would be Ringo performing 3 songs followed
> by a tune from each of the memebers of the band, followed by 3 of Ringo's
> numbers, etc.

> Let's see, if I can remember some of Ringo's numbers:
> [list deleted]

This is exactly what I was expecting. To be honest, I would not want
to hear a whole night of Ringo singing. I'm obviously going "to see
one of the Beatles" (just like the rest of you with tickets). I'm
really looking forward to see Joe Walsh play guitar, and hear
"Band" songs like "Night They Drove Dixie Down" and "The Weight."
Don't get me wrong, I like to hear songs like "I'm the Greatest"
(I doubt he'll do that), and "It Don't Come Easy" /etc/etc. Yellow
Submarine will be fun too.

I'm sure it will be an enjoyable night because of the mixture of great
songs they will be playing.
| Steve Horvath | "I've got nothing to say but it's O.K." |
| sp...@cbnewsn.att.com | Good Morning (Lennon-McCartney) |

John J. Wood

Jul 30, 1989, 6:28:30 PM7/30/89
In article <27...@cbnewsh.ATT.COM> sp...@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (Steve Horvath) writes:

>This is exactly what I was expecting. To be honest, I would not want
>to hear a whole night of Ringo singing. I'm obviously going "to see
>one of the Beatles" (just like the rest of you with tickets). I'm
>really looking forward to see Joe Walsh play guitar, and hear
>"Band" songs like "Night They Drove Dixie Down" and "The Weight."
>Don't get me wrong, I like to hear songs like "I'm the Greatest"
>(I doubt he'll do that), and "It Don't Come Easy" /etc/etc. Yellow
>Submarine will be fun too.

I agree with Steve here, as when I first heard of the personnel, I thought
the same way. Let's not forget the great Dr. John either. I caught
Dr. John on solo piano at the annual Syracuse Jazz Fest last year. His
set was simply irresistible and was, IMHO, the highlight of the Jazz
Fest. :-)

I have also had the pleasure of catching Joe Walsh live twice, and the man
is truly one of my favorite guitarists. His sense of humor made his shows
a delight. :-)

I'm definitely looking forward to the Buffalo RINGO show on August 18th
(to Scott Moore: thank for for the nice tapes, amigo. PLEASE email me.
My email attempts to you have been bouncing for the last two months :-):-).
Any other r.m.b'ers going???:-)

>I'm sure it will be an enjoyable night because of the mixture of great
>songs they will be playing.

...and because of the great personnel, too. To those that have been there
already, how was Clarence and Rick Danko doing?? :-)

Catfish John W.

"In the town where I was born...."