Ringo in Virginia

JNRoot

Aug 13, 2001, 12:19:12 PM8/13/01
I saw Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band on Saturday, August 11, in
Portsmouth,Virginia.  Much of the information from this tour has already been
posted, but I thought I'd post my notes anyway. The setlist consisted of 26
songs:

Photograph – Ringo
Act Naturally – Ringo
Court of the Crimson King – Greg Lake
Logical Song – Roger Hodgson
No One is to Blame – Howard Jones
Cleveland Rocks – Ian Hunter
A Love Bizarre – Sheila E.
Boys – Ringo
Give a Little Bit – Roger Hodgson
You’re Sixteen – Ringo
Yellow Submarine – Ringo
Karn Evil 9 – Greg Lake
I’m the Greatest – Ringo
No No Song – Ringo
Back Off Boogaloo – Ringo
Things Can Only Get Better – Howard Jones
I Still Love Rock’n’Roll – Ian Hunter (from his new solo CD)
The Glamorous Life – Sheila E. (great drum solo)
I Wanna Be Your Man – Ringo
Lucky Man – Greg Lake (Greg on rhythm guitar, Mark Rivera on bass)
Everlasting Love – Howard Jones
Take the Long Way Home – Roger Hodgson
All the Young Dudes – Ian Hunter
It Don’t Come Easy – Ringo

Encore (the band never leaves the stage.  Ringo says “It’s too damn hot to
leave and come back!”)
Don’t Go Where the Road Don’t Go – Ringo
With a Little Help From My Friends – Ringo

The show started at 8:00.  Ringo wore a light blue or light purple
t-shirt with the word “Stone”.  Over the t-shirt, he wore a long-sleeved,
dark blue shirt with a pattern of white stars.  Later in the show, he wore a
silver vest over the t-shirt.  He joked around as usual.  After Mark
Rivera’s sax solo on ”I’m The Greatest”, Ringo said “That’s why we
call him All-Lung.  I don’t know what that means.  I make this up as I go
along!”  Ringo only played drums on three of his own songs:  “Boys”,
“I Wanna Be Your Man”, and the end of “Back Off Boogaloo.”  For the
rest of his songs, he was up front.

Towards the end of “Cleveland Rocks” (the theme song for “The Drew
Carrey Show”), Ian Hunter held up a piece of paper and inserted the names of
area towns for Cleveland (e.g., Norfolk rocks, Chesapeake rocks).

    Greg Lake did “Karn Evil 9” accompanied by just Sheila E. on
drums and Howard Jones on keyboards.

    Sheila E. really pounded the drums, was constantly smiling, and was a
highlight of the show.  She was the last to leave the stage as she shook hands
with people in the front row.

The Harbor Center NTELOS Pavilion is new this year. It seats 3500 in
the reserved, covered section, and another 3500 on the lawn.  The concert
didn’t quite sell out; $10 lawn seats were still available before the show.

I sat next to a guy who has posted on several boards his disappointment
that Ringo sings the same songs tour after tour. I agree that Ringo seems to
have a 14-song repertoire from which he chooses 12 songs for each tour ("Honey
Don't" and "Love Me Do" were left out this year). I just think it's a treat to
see a former Beatle, and Ringo's constantly changing All-Starrs make each tour
a different and unique experience.

GerryB4991

Aug 14, 2001, 10:09:14 PM8/14/01
> I saw Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band on Saturday, August 11, in
>Portsmouth,Virginia.  Much of the information from this tour has already been
>posted, but I thought I'd post my notes anyway. The setlist consisted of 26
>songs:

I saw the All-Starr Band in Atlanta's Chastain Park on Monday, August 13, and
seems that the show was virtually identical to the description of the
Portsmouth appearance, right down to the band not leaving before doing an
encore. Items exclusive to Chastain Park include Sheila E. bringing a young
man on stage who has benefitted from her foundation, and Ian Hunter joining the
growing chorus of voices poking at the braves.
Sheila E. brought a young man, Jonathan, aged 10, to sit on stage during
"Glamorous Life." She introduced him one of the children who has benefitted
from her foundation for abused and neglected children. He proved to be a good
drummer in his own right, getting a solo of his own. Before the song started,
Ringo leaned over from his kit and handing Sheila a pair of his sticks, saying
"Here Sheila, he can play with these."
During "Cleveland Rocks" it's standard for Ian Hunter to make the song local.
Besides "Atlanta Rocks" and "Georgia Rocks" and "Falcons Rock" sang in
call-response, he tried "Braves Rock." Ian found that didn't get a great
response, but judgment stopped him from placing another, perhaps similar verb
into the call. Still, had he taken that route, he might have brought a roar
from a loss-weary group of Braves' fans seated in the orchestra level.
It was a great show, one to remember for the excellent music in a beautiful
venue.

Cheers,
Gerry