Ringo at Poplar Creek (long)

gregory.a.youngdahl

Jul 26, 1989, 1:13:51 PM7/26/89
Hi all RMBers,

I had the pleasure of attending the Ringo & Co. concert at Poplar
Creek (suburb of Chicago) last night. I have seen some of the posting about
the Dallas show so I guess some of the info is out, I'll provide what I can.
I am not very familiar with some of the other artists material so some of
the titles are guesses (or missing). Sorry.

The show opened with a band called Mason Ruffner (based upon what
was stenciled on their road cases - I never heard the name announced).
They were a 3 piece band that didn't do much for me, but I guess they were OK.

Then, at 8:35 Ringo and band took the stage.

1 - It Don't Come Easy
2 - No No No No
3 - Yellow Submarine

Up until this time Ringo was down in front singing. Now
he introduces Dr. John and takes his place at the drums.

4 - If I Don't Do It, Somebody Else Will
(Thanks to another poster for this title)

Dr. John then introduces Levon Helm.

5 - The Weight

Levon introduces Nils Lofgren.

6 - Silently (Not sure of this title - Just a guess from the words)

Nils introduces Billy Preston.

7 - Willie Go Round In Circles

Ringo now sings from the drums.

8 - Act Naturally
9 - Honey Don't

Ringo introduces Clarence Clemons.

10 - Friend of Mine (or Over and Over, again I'm not familiar)

Clarence introduces Rick Danko.

11 - ? (I didn't recognize the song, and couldn't understand enough
words to invent a potential title).

Rick introduces Joe Walsh.

12 - Life in the Fast Lane

Ringo comes down in front again.

13 - You're Sixteen, You're Beautiful, and You're Mine

- 15 min. Break

Joe Walsh appears alone at the piano.

14 - Desperado

The rest of the band on stage, Ringo at the drums again.

15 - It's Raining In My Heart (according to the other poster, thanks)

16 - Up On Cripple Creek

17 - Boys

18 - ? (another unrecognized song)

19 - Candy (another Dr. John song, I'm guessing the title)

20 - I Was in the Right Place at the Wrong Time (again Dr. John)

21 - ? (A Clarence Clemons song)

22 - Rocky Mountain Way

23 - Nothin' From Nothin' Leaves Nothin'
(The other poster had "That's the Way God Planned It"
here, perhaps some set juggling taking place)

Ringo comes down from the drums and introduces Jim Keltner.

24 - Photograph

This is the end of the show (except for the encores).

25 - Back Off Boogaloo

26 - With a Little Help From My Friends

The show ends at 10:52.

A friend of mine who was sitting behind the sound board and could see the
set list said that "I Wanna Be Your Man" was down as another encore, but
they did not play it. Perhaps another show will get that treat.

Some comments:

It was great to see Ringo, and over all it was a very enjoyable show.
When he was on the drums his distinctive style was evident, even with the
other two drummers playing along.

The production was nothing special, just the musicians playing and
enjoying themselves. Adequate lights and sound, nothing flashy. That is
the way I like it (usually).

Why was Desparado included? Joe Walsh didn't write it, he wasn't
even in the Eagles when it was recorded. It sounded OK but it seemed
out of place. What about copyrights and stuff? Do they have to pay the
Eagles (or whoever) for playing it?

The highlight songs seemed to be Rocky Mountain Way, With a Little
Help, Cripple Creek, and The Weight, more or less in that order (based on
audience reactions). Most of the Ringo songs seemed a little weak (believe
it or not). Upon reflection and discussion with some friends who were there
too and tended to agree, we concluded that most of the other songs (non-Ringo)
had the writer of the song performing on the instrument of composition (for
lack of a better phrase). All the little "key" parts were there. On the
Ringo songs it was as if all the musicians were just strumming the chord
progressions and no one really owned up to playing the little riffs that made
the songs distinctive. Perhaps as the show matures (this was the second
stop after all) this will change.

I had expected to be backed up in traffic, as many Poplar Creek
shows tend to cause a jam, but this was one show where I didn't even have
to stop until I was handing my money to the parking attendant. That was
a real surprise. I can't remember the last show I went to where that
happened. Also, I had paid $35 per ticket through a friend (?), but when
we stopped for dinner, the restaurant had a package deal of dinner + show
tickets for $36 each. I asked where the seats were and it turned out that
they were 8 rows behind mine. Worse yet they still had some that night,
and were on sale for $25 for dinner + show!!! There were also people in the
parking lot with tickets for sale (I didn't price them). I mention this
just in case there are people who want to go but don't have tickets yet.
Check around, don't get scalped. (BTW - My *real* friends and I figure that
the "friend" that got us the tickets pocketed at least $200 on the 20 tickets
he got us!!! I don't mind paying a little for his effort, but he was acting
like he wasn't making a thing. Oh well 8-( ...)

That is my report.

Greg Youngdahl AT&T Bell Laboratories Naperville, IL
att!iwsgw!greg

Kent Stewart

Jul 26, 1989, 4:11:53 PM7/26/89
In article <7...@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> gre...@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (gregory.a.youngdahl) writes:

> 4 - If I Don't Do It, Somebody Else Will
> (Thanks to another poster for this title)

Actually, I think the title is "Such a night".
The David Bromberg Band did a fine cover of this on the "how late'll ya
play till" live album. I think Dr. John wrote the song.

Thanx for the review, I gotta get back to my padded cell now...

"and it was such a night...
such a night.
sweet confusion
under the moonlight8-)"

Kirk Smith

Jul 27, 1989, 11:42:24 AM7/27/89
I was impressed.

I don't have a setlist, but it sounds like it was nearly identical to the
Poplar Creek show. I enjoyed all the tunes, and much has been
said about them, so I thought I would relate a few other impressions.

Although they could have made minor changes in the setlist, the only difference
that I noticed was that Ringo did not play drums on the second song of the
second set. Instead, he hung out behind the drum sets with Barbara Bach.
During the whole second set, she was roaming around the perimeter of the
stage with a 35mm camera, taking a bunch of candid shots and having a good
time.

When they played No No No No, Ringo said how that song meant a lot to him.
I presume that he recently controlled a substance dependence problem.

Ringo kept saying something like "Here's an old number that I'm sure you'll
remember". He also kept apologizing for saying it so often. He also refered
to the Beatles once as "those three other guys".

Before the show, they came on with a recorded announcment about keeping the
aisles clear, and a whole bunch of other rules. So, for most of the show,
people remained in or standing near their seats. I was sitting exactly
in front of the right speaker stack, in the front, and it was starting to get
kind of loud. When Clarence Clemons lead a song near the end of the second
set, he motioned everyone to come closer. Of course, we all made a mad dash
across to the center of the stage. I ended up standing right in front
of Billy Preston, leaning up against the stage. During With a Little Help From
My Friends, Ringo shook hands all along the front of the stage. I felt
like I was in a time warp. There was hundreds of screaming women trying to
mow me over to touch Ringo. It was like reliving the excitement that
surrounded the Beatles when they first toured in the US. The raw energy
was great. The band really enjoyed it.

In summary, the music was great, the crowd was excited about it,
and the band had a great time.

Kirk Smith