Beatle Rocks Seattle

Nancy

Jul 20, 2008, 5:27:22 PM7/20/08
By Patrick MacDonald

Seattle Times music critic

Concert Review |

The legacy of the Beatles filled the lush grounds of Chateau Ste. Michelle
Winery in Woodinville Saturday night, under clear, cool skies. Only one of
the Fab Four was there - the ever-lovable Ringo Starr - and less than half
the songs in the show were from his former band. But those were the songs
the mixed crowd of young and old came to hear, and they loved them.

Starr, who turned 68 on July 7, has been doing his annual "All Starrs" tour
for 10 years now, longer than he was in the Beatles. Every year the great
drummer gathers veteran musicians to go out with him, each of them stars
with their own hits to contribute to the show.

This year they included guitarist Colin Hay of Men at Work, singer-guitarist
Billy Squier, bassist Hamish Stuart of the Average White Band,
keyboardist-saxophonist Edgar Winter, keyboardist Gary Wright and top
session drummer Gregg Bissonette. All were thorough pros who ably took the
spotlight several times in the set.

"What's my name?" Starr asked the throng repeatedly during the show, and
they roared back "RINGO" ever louder each time.

Standing onstage, he opened with "It Don't Come Easy," followed by "What
Goes On," which he said was written by "Lennon, McCartney and Starkey"
(Ringo was born Richard Starkey). He sang the rockabilly - and
R&B-influenced "Memphis In Your Mind." Then, he got behind his drum kit to
back Squier singing "Lonely Is the Night," Winter doing "Free Ride," Hay
singing "Land Down Under" and Wright crooning "Dream Weaver," which he said
was inspired by a book of poems given him by George Harrison.

Other non-Beatles highlights included AWB's jazzy "Pick Up the Pieces,"
Winter's pounding "Frankenstein," Squier's "The Stroke" and Hay's "Who Can
It Be Now?"

"I always followed my heart and never missed a beat," Starr sang in the
autobiographical "Liverpool 8," the title tune from his latest album. "It
was cool with those boys from Liverpool." Those glory days were revived via
"Act Naturally," "Yellow Submarine," "I Wanna Be Your Man," "Photograph" and
the song that summed up the night, "With a Little Help From My Friends."

fatt...@yahoo.com

Jul 20, 2008, 5:54:22 PM7/20/08

Thanks for posting this. Very nice.

MikeSo

Jul 20, 2008, 11:57:23 PM7/20/08
fatt...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Jul 20, 4:27 pm, "Nancy" <k...@msn.com> wrote:
>> By Patrick MacDonald
>>
>> Seattle Times music critic
>>
>> Concert Review |
>>
>> The legacy of the Beatles filled the lush grounds of Chateau Ste.
>> Michelle Winery in Woodinville Saturday night, under clear, cool
>> skies. Only one of the Fab Four was there - the ever-lovable Ringo
>> Starr - and less than half the songs in the show were from his
>> former band. But those were the songs the mixed crowd of young and
>> old came to hear, and they loved them.
>>
>> Starr, who turned 68 on July 7, has been doing his annual "All
>> Starrs" tour for 10 years now, longer than he was in the Beatles.
>> Every year the great drummer gathers veteran musicians to go out
>> with him, each of them stars with their own hits to contribute to
>> the show.
>>
>> This year they included guitarist Colin Hay of Men at Work,
>> singer-guitarist Billy Squier, bassist Hamish Stuart of the Average
>> White Band, keyboardist-saxophonist Edgar Winter, keyboardist Gary
>> Wright and top session drummer Gregg Bissonette. All were thorough
>> pros who ably took the spotlight several times in the set.

This was a great show and the Winery is a beautiful venue.

Billy Squier proved himself more than capable of handling the lead guitar
work for the band, much to my surprise. Gary Wright seemed to be having
issues with his keyboard setup most of the evening but had a big grin
plastered on his face throughout the show. Edgar Winter stole the show with
his performance of "Frankenstein".

>> "What's my name?" Starr asked the throng repeatedly during the show,
>> and they roared back "RINGO" ever louder each time.

My wife shouted out a belated birthday greeting to Ringo who quipped back
"Where's my gift?".

>> Standing onstage, he opened with "It Don't Come Easy," followed by
>> "What Goes On," which he said was written by "Lennon, McCartney and
>> Starkey" (Ringo was born Richard Starkey). He sang the rockabilly -
>> and R&B-influenced "Memphis In Your Mind." Then, he got behind his
>> drum kit to back Squier singing "Lonely Is the Night," Winter doing
>> "Free Ride," Hay singing "Land Down Under" and Wright crooning
>> "Dream Weaver," which he said was inspired by a book of poems given
>> him by George Harrison.

Following "Dream Weaver" Ringo joked that "George never gave me a damn book
of poems" which cracked up both the band and the audience.

Nancy

Jul 21, 2008, 8:28:03 AM7/21/08

"MikeSo" <mike...@hotmail.comma> wrote in message

Edgar's playing a free concert here next weekend. Part of a Street
celebration. Have to catch it.

rfor...@msn.com

Jul 21, 2008, 2:20:56 PM7/21/08
On Jul 21, 8:28 am, "Nancy" <k...@msn.com> wrote:
> "MikeSo" <mike98...@hotmail.comma> wrote in message
> celebration. Have to catch it.- Hide quoted text -

Just curious, where are you?

richforman

O'Leary III

Jul 21, 2008, 2:59:27 PM7/21/08
MikeSo wrote:

> Following "Dream Weaver" Ringo joked that "George never gave me a damn book
> of poems" which cracked up both the band and the audience.

They probably hear that every night.

Grandbastard

Jul 21, 2008, 7:24:17 PM7/21/08

Could be. He also said it in Chicago.

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

Jul 21, 2008, 7:29:53 PM7/21/08

<fatt...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Jul 20, 4:27 pm, "Nancy" <k...@msn.com> wrote:
> By Patrick MacDonald
>
> Seattle Times music critic
>
> Concert Review |
>
> Starr, who turned 68 on July 7, has been doing his annual "All Starrs"
> tour
> for 10 years now, longer than he was in the Beatles. Every year the great
> drummer gathers veteran musicians to go out with him, each of them stars
> with their own hits to contribute to the show.

This critic needs to get his facts straight. Wrong on 10 years, and wrong
on annual. The first one was 19 years ago, 1989.

1989 (1st All Starr Band Tour)
1992 (2nd)
1995 (3rd)
(Sounding annual yet?)
1997 (4th)
1998 (still 4th All Starr Band)
1999 (5th)
2000 (6th)
2001 (7th)
2003 (8th)
2006 (9th)
2008 (10th)

MikeSo

Jul 21, 2008, 7:51:08 PM7/21/08

Yes, but I only heard it once! :-)

--

Thanks,
Mike

fatt...@yahoo.com

Jul 22, 2008, 1:04:00 AM7/22/08
On Jul 21, 6:29 pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" <greek...@yeahright.com>
wrote:
> <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I see you are a big Ringo fan.

Nancy

Jul 21, 2008, 11:08:00 PM7/21/08

<rfor...@msn.com> wrote in message

richforman

Central Ill

Nancy

Jul 22, 2008, 8:00:13 AM7/22/08

"Nancy" <k...@msn.com> wrote in message

Actually it's Aug 3.
Guess the Ringo tour is over by then.

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

Jul 22, 2008, 10:32:03 AM7/22/08

<fatt...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Not at all. Never been to such a concert, nor do I care to. Rather, I am a
fan of accuracy. The above was based on about 1 minute of research on
Google.