"Let It Be" on "The Ed Sullivan Show"

Oozingchrome

Nov 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/5/00
I've been told that the Beatles played "Let It Be" on the "The Ed Sullivan
Show" in April of 1970, but I can't locate a source that will confirm this.

--

All follow-ups are directed to the newsgroup rec.music.beatles.moderated.
If your follow-up more properly belongs in the unmoderated newsgroup, please

Edward S. Chen

Nov 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/5/00
> I've been told that the Beatles played "Let It Be" on the "The Ed Sullivan
> Show" in April of 1970, but I can't locate a source that will confirm this.

The Beatles did not perform live for Sullivan after 1965. You are probably
referring to the "Let It Be" promo which appeared on the March 1, 1970
edition of the program. The entire show was a tribute to the Beatles
(including a fairly amusing appearance by the Muppets), and is available
in its entirety (including commercials!) in fairly high quality on the
collectors circuit.

<ESC>

Bob Gill

Nov 5, 2000, 10:43:59 PM11/5/00
"Edward S. Chen" wrote:

> > I've been told that the Beatles played "Let It Be" on the "The Ed Sullivan
> > Show" in April of 1970, but I can't locate a source that will confirm this.
>
> The Beatles did not perform live for Sullivan after 1965. You are probably
> referring to the "Let It Be" promo which appeared on the March 1, 1970
> edition of the program.

Right, and Let It Be was the version from the movie, with the same camera
shots and all, so if you have a copy of the film you wouldn't need this one
too.

-- Bob G.

ronct

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00

"Bob Gill" <bob...@erols.com> wrote in message

> "Edward S. Chen" wrote:
> Right, and Let It Be was the version from the movie, with the same
camera
> shots and all, so if you have a copy of the film you wouldn't need this
one
> too.

Are you sure about this? I always thought the Ed Sullivan promo clip was
the George Martin single version of the song and not the Phil Spector album
cut. I seem to remember the gospel organ music break and not the over
powering electric guitars. I could almost swear even the video was
different than the movie.

Boy Phil Spector really mangled this song almost as bad as "The Long And
Winding Road".

ronct

Bob Gill

Nov 6, 2000, 10:03:15 PM11/6/00
ronct wrote:

> "Bob Gill" <bob...@erols.com> wrote in message
>

> > Right, and Let It Be was the version from the movie, with the same camera
> > shots and all, so if you have a copy of the film you wouldn't need this one
> > too.
>

> Are you sure about this? I always thought the Ed Sullivan promo clip was
> the George Martin single version of the song and not the Phil Spector album
> cut. I seem to remember the gospel organ music break and not the over
> powering electric guitars. I could almost swear even the video was
> different than the movie.

Unless they showed two different Let It Be films on the Sullivan show, it was
definitely a clip from the movie. I remember it visually more than aurally: John
chewing gum as he supplied "oohs" for backing vocals with Yoko sitting next to
him, in particular. I remember my dad saying, "Is that that Lennon? I don't like
that guy."

Jud McCranie

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
Bob Gill <bob...@erols.com> wrote:

>> > Right, and Let It Be was the version from the movie, with the same camera
>> > shots and all, so if you have a copy of the film you wouldn't need this one
>> > too.
>>
>> Are you sure about this? I always thought the Ed Sullivan promo clip was
>> the George Martin single version of the song and not the Phil Spector album
>> cut. I seem to remember the gospel organ music break and not the over
>> powering electric guitars. I could almost swear even the video was
>> different than the movie.
>
> Unless they showed two different Let It Be films on the Sullivan show, it was
>definitely a clip from the movie.

When it was on in 1970, I recorded the sound (since the channel
it was on was on the FM dial) and I also took some 8mm film of
the screen (this was before we had VCRs). The clips on Sullivan
are the same as the LIB film.
Jud McCranie

Donz5

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
"Bob Gill" <bob...@erols.com> wrote:

> Are you sure about this? I always thought the Ed Sullivan promo clip was
> the George Martin single version of the song and not the Phil Spector album
> cut. I seem to remember the gospel organ music break and not the over
> powering electric guitars. I could almost swear even the video was
> different than the movie.

The Sullivan promo clip, which, as others have pointed out, is simply a clip
from the film, is from neither mix of the single and LP take of the song. It's
an entirely different take; in fact, it's from two takes, edited into one.

Steve Hawk

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00

Jud McCranie wrote:
(snipped)

> When it was on in 1970, I recorded the sound (since the channel
> it was on was on the FM dial) and I also took some 8mm film of
> the screen (this was before we had VCRs). The clips on Sullivan
> are the same as the LIB film.
> Jud McCranie

I thought so.

Steve

Arts & Sciences Default User

Nov 13, 2000, 12:00:01 AM11/13/00
Not sure about April of '70, but a film clip from "Let It Be" appeared on
Sullivan in December '69. It might have been repeated in April. In any case,
it was not a "live" performance. I know Paul had a video of "Maybe I'm Amazed"
on Sullivan in April of '70 when "McCartney" came out.
J.M. Dempsey

Oozingchrome wrote:

> I've been told that the Beatles played "Let It Be" on the "The Ed Sullivan
> Show" in April of 1970, but I can't locate a source that will confirm this.

Bill Lynn

Nov 15, 2000, 10:21:03 PM11/15/00
> I've been told that the Beatles played "Let It Be" on the "The Ed Sullivan
> Show" in April of 1970, but I can't locate a source that will confirm this.

I remember seeing that show and, if memory serves, it was footage from the
Twickenham sessions that was also included in the Let It Be film. It
showed Paul sitting at the piano looking directly at the camera with shots
of John playing bass sitting on the floor with Yoko, George playing guitar
and Ringo in the background being Ringo.

--
Cheers... Bill Lynn
Simtech Publications

Bob

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
I saw this show, and it was very similar. The clip is from the same
performance as the film
but with slightly different editing.
Bob Martin

Mike Johnson

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00

> I saw this show, and it was very similar. The clip is from the same
> performance as the film
> but with slightly different editing.

Here is a complete list I found of all the Beatles appearances on Ed
Sullivan:

http://www.rarebeatles.com/photopg7/sullivan.htm

Mike

yol...@hotmail.com

Jun 23, 2018, 10:19:47 AM6/23/18
On Sunday, November 5, 2000 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Oozingchrome wrote:
> I've been told that the Beatles played "Let It Be" on the "The Ed Sullivan
> Show" in April of 1970, but I can't locate a source that will confirm this.

While I have no documented proof, I can personally confirm that the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1970, performing "Let It Be," because I saw it, and remember it well. They were not live in New York, but appeared via a film made in England. Paul sang and played keyboard and wore a beard.

Talis Mann

Jun 24, 2018, 6:14:45 PM6/24/18
On 6/23/2018 7:19 AM, yol...@hotmail.com wrote:

> While I have no documented proof, I can personally confirm that the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1970, performing "Let It Be," because I saw it, and remember it well.

Yes, it's well-documented:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=68&v=1LrUTzijqz8

rwalker

Sep 8, 2018, 3:34:30 AM9/8/18
Well, I remember seeing it as well, so that's two of us.

thetexa...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2018, 9:04:00 AM9/8/18

thetexa...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2018, 9:58:02 AM9/8/18
Eat your heart out Paul!

https://youtu.be/BvPugOWeZiA

thetexa...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2018, 10:07:34 AM9/8/18
Although it’s important to settle this question of whether The Beatles did “Let It Be” on Ed Sullivan, the more important question is why Putin didn’t chart with his version of “Blueberry Hill”?

https://youtu.be/IV4IjHz2yIo

hector

Sep 8, 2018, 11:01:50 AM9/8/18
I used to see that clip on morning television at the time.
Let It Be movie if anyone missed that fact.

Bernie Woodham

Sep 10, 2018, 11:29:38 AM9/10/18
On Sunday, November 5, 2000 at 10:43:59 PM UTC-5, Bob Gill wrote:

> Right, and Let It Be was the version from the movie, with the same camera
> shots and all, so if you have a copy of the film you wouldn't need this one
> too.
>
> -- Bob G.

Woah, hold on there a minute...

Granted that it may have been the same clip, but the Sullivan show probably showed the clip in it's original 16mm format. That would be different than the reformatted version for the 35mm theatrical cut, (which is the cut you get on the laserdisc.)

So, I for one, would find value in having the version from the Sullivan show.

zippl...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2018, 1:05:42 AM9/11/18
I didn’t see the film version of the song “Let it Be” until about 1985 or later. Youtube recently has shown various
camera angles of the song, some very boring, and showing Paul sitting sideways.

gary chambers

Oct 7, 2021, 4:23:00 PM10/7/21
On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 1:05:42 AM UTC-4, zippl...@gmail.com wrote:
> I didn’t see the film version of the song “Let it Be” until about 1985 or later. YouTube recently has shown various
> camera angles of the song, some very boring, and showing Paul sitting sideways.

The film Clip Ed Sullivan showed us was indeed The Beatles doing a version of "Let it Be" from their movie. I don't think it was the version from the single or the album
since they performed the song many times in rehearsals...
But it was either before or after Ed showed us "Let it Be" . He showed us another video clip, taken from the same movie "let it Be" it was
"Two Of Us" this time. Paul played his Martin Acoustic Guitar, Ringo in the back up on drums. George, sitting down playing bass but using in Fender Telecaster, and playing low notes.
John sitting down next to Yoko, playing guitar, singing backup and.... whistling... Take a look https://vimeo.com/281265758 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️

say hey

Jan 10, 2024, 9:02:01 AMJan 10
btw the version on eds show was the one with a guitar {maybe lennon i was told back then} playing a lead thru a leslie amplifier which was a ORGAN synthesizer amp that had spinning horn type speakers that gave any but specifically a hammond B3 organ its MAGNIFICENT church-esc sound , had thought the date of taped event was at XMAS 69 but its been ALONG TIME so que sera

super70s

Jan 10, 2024, 12:59:55 PMJan 10
If it was Sunday April 12 that was the day after the ax fell, was that
mentioned at all?

"Let It Be" was the No. 1 single, until "ABC" took over the last couple
of weeks in the month.