Lennon Discusses "Getting Better"

Norbert K

Sep 11, 2022, 9:40:19 AMSep 11
"It is a diary form of writing. All that "I used to be cruel to my woman/I beat her/And kept her apart from the things that she loved" was me. I used to be cruel to my woman, and physically -- any woman. I was a hitter. I couldn't express myself, and I hit. /i fought men and I hit women. That is why I am always on about peace, you see, it is the most violent people who go for love and peace. Everything's the opposite. But I sincerely believe in love and peace. I am a violent man who has learned not to be violent and regrets his violence. I will have to be a lot older before I can face in public how I treated women as a youngster."

-- Lennon, in his 1980 Playboy Interview