When The Beatles Met Elvis

Phil A. Scheo

Aug 28, 2015, 2:25:13 PM8/28/15

cuppajoe2go

Aug 28, 2015, 3:38:04 PM8/28/15
On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 11:25:13 AM UTC-7, Phil A. Scheo wrote:
> http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/music/when-the-beatles-met-elvis-one-of-the-most-mythical-meetings-in-pop-history-50-years-on

and nobody brought a camera.

Will Dockery

Sep 16, 2015, 11:05:22 AM9/16/15
"Phil A. Scheo" wrote in message

http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/music/when-the-beatles-met-elvis-one-of-the-most-mythical-meetings-in-pop-history-50-years-on

Fascinating history, thanks.

Tim

Sep 17, 2015, 12:28:06 AM9/17/15
Too bad Elvis later chose to buddy up with Richard Nixon just to get honorary DEA status, badge and all, while Elvis was a addicted pill popper and shortly thereafter, turn on the Beatles out of artistic jealousy. And this caused John to later retort that Elvis wasn't nothing but a hound dog and he wasn't no friend of his.

Tim

Sep 17, 2015, 12:48:20 AM9/17/15

Phil A. Scheo

Sep 17, 2015, 3:19:49 AM9/17/15
Elvis met Nixon after the Beatles had already broken up.

M C hammered

Sep 17, 2015, 10:38:19 AM9/17/15
Well I Mista Charlie feel as if Elvis was undawelma'd cuzza like dey intarupsha'd hus bacon bananana peanut butta sangwidge also he felt mush like Yoke dat da Beatlers lacked classercle trainerin and could not play in 3/2 time and had a "ba ba ba" beat.

He was quite simple more eaga ta meet Yoke.

Nuff said

Tim

Sep 17, 2015, 11:37:11 AM9/17/15
This didn't stop hypocrite pill popping Elvis from engaging in a smear campaign against The Beatles before their breakup, which then led to his meeting and being deputized as a drug enforcement agent by Nixon.

gj

Sep 17, 2015, 11:58:09 AM9/17/15
True, the king's behavior was shameful. I think he was very
intimidated and jealous. Especially given his inability to write his
own songs. I cut him more slack than I used to now since I see him as
more a guinea pig in how artists are manipulated by their management
and self delusions.

-GJ 2.0

Tim

Sep 17, 2015, 4:24:21 PM9/17/15
Bingo: my feelings prezactly !!

zippl...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2015, 5:27:03 PM9/19/15
They both ended up being 2 losers.

Will Dockery

Feb 27, 2019, 4:54:09 PM2/27/19
Elvis must rank at the top of your list, Pendragon, with Pat Boone and Tiny
Tim?

Norbert K

Feb 28, 2019, 7:02:51 AM2/28/19
On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 2:25:13 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/music/when-the-beatles-met-elvis-one-of-the-most-mythical-meetings-in-pop-history-50-years-on

I read that when the Beatles attended big events in the US in the early days, Lennon would ask the others half-jokingly, "But where's Elvis?" When they finally did meet Elvis, they were so underwhelmed that Lennon asked the others as they were leaving, "But where's Elvis?"

Norbert K

Feb 28, 2019, 9:16:45 AM2/28/19
BTW, this talk of the Beatles & Elvis reminds me that, when Elvis died, Elliot Mintz telephoned John so that John's comments could be added to an Elvis tribute he was working on. John said: "Elvis died when he went into the army." It probably wasn't what Mintz wanted. Lennon later elaborated in an interview it was during his stint in the army that "that's when they killed him. That's when they castrated him. The rest was a living death."

P-Dub

Feb 28, 2019, 9:44:37 AM2/28/19
Interesting comment by John. And he does have a point.

But I think Elvis' death (as an artist during the 60s) was a result of Colonel Tom Parker's obsession in making him a movie star. He was a rock n roll singer, but they put him in too many silly flicks.

Elvis was reborn in 68. The rest is history.

Bernie Woodham

Mar 5, 2019, 2:26:50 PM3/5/19
Elvis was 30 when they met. The Beatles were expecting too much. Lennon at 30 was not the same as Lennon in 1965.

The Beatles wanted Elvis to Get Back to Rock 'n Roll. After they left Elvis recorded his gospel album.

With that, Elvis was actually staying true to who he was. His first love was gospel music.

When people compare Elvis to The Beatles you are talking about two completely different entities. Elvis was very American.

Elvis lit the match. No sense in not giving him his due.

Norbert K

Mar 21, 2019, 8:09:29 AM3/21/19
In his great new autobiography, Roger Daltrey of the Who expresses a take on Elvis very similar to Lennon's; I think he even mentions that it was the Army experience that ruined him.

Joe Mahoney

Aug 4, 2021, 11:37:29 AM8/4/21
Elvis was in a rut. The Beatles were still ascending.