The effect of Covering every Beatle Song

TheWalrusWasDanny

Jan 30, 2011, 7:04:35 PM1/30/11
The thing I have noticed through covering every Beatles song in 2010
is that my ability in writing has improved...I said that my main
concentration in 2011 was to focus on my own material (though I will
do other songs I like and do requests)..but I've really noticed that
the exercise has done me, personally quite a lot of good from an
artistic POV..I would advise any singer/songwriter to cover every
beatles song...varoius chords I have encountered in the Beatles
journey in 2010 have opened up a more melodic approach. I would say
that Lyrically the JL songs have had a major effect and melodically
the Macca songs have drawn me in..chordally it's been the GH factor
that has opened up stuff. I was always personal in my lyric..but the
JL factor has made me embrace each thing that happens to me in a
lyrical way....

So I have learnt from this experience:

JL - amazing personal lyrics (even the YO stuff)
GH - bizarre and explorative chordal progessions
Macca - Great melodies

I find myself blending the three togther in an unconcious way after
the Beatle journey..and if nothing comes of it it doesn't matter..at
least I know I'm doing it.

I thought you guys might find this interesting since I covered the lot
in a year...and what effect it has.

Danny

iarwain

Jan 30, 2011, 7:20:54 PM1/30/11
I once set out to learn every Led Zeppelin song in an effort to
improve my guitar playing (Jimmy Page is my favorite guitarist).
I gave out somewhere along in the fourth album, but it was definitely
a learning experience, and is in some ways still a foundation for my
playing.
I'm not at all surprised you learned some things from your journey.
I don't see how you could have gone through all that and not.

who?

Jan 30, 2011, 7:44:00 PM1/30/11
On Jan 30, 6:04 pm, TheWalrusWasDanny <dannyisthewal...@tesco.net>
wrote:

Not to knock your Beatles work, Danny.....I admire you for it.
But.....I can get the same effect just by moving my fingers
around on the frets of a guitar.....memorizing them, and
writing material I never thought was possible I could write.
That's not to say I'm not highly influenced by the Beatles
music. The main thing is how they always had new ways
of presenting their songs...and I keep that in mind every
time I write a new song. I don't like repeating myself in
how present what I write...anymore than they did.

TheWalrusWasDanny

Jan 30, 2011, 7:59:43 PM1/30/11
> how present what I write...anymore than they did.- Hide quoted text -

No Jeff..you miss the point..we all stand upon the shoulders of
giants..in this case the giants are the fabs..moving your fingers
around the fretboard has an effect but to cover every fabs songs
instills greater understanding of the genius..I can move my fingers
around the fretboard like a piece of piss.but instilling the songs of
the fabs (and in fact the covers the fabs did) has made my brain do
that little bit more somehow..it's unconcious..I know I'm a better
songwriter than I was this time last year..for example I wrote Car
Crash at this point last year (the Crash was on Jan 27th 2010) but the
last song I wrote was tonight (Soup and Hair) and it's better (IMO)
than Car Crash....though I won't knock car Crash since I like that
too..but if I were to revisit Car Crash now I'd make it better.

Danny

who?

Jan 30, 2011, 8:22:05 PM1/30/11
On Jan 30, 6:59 pm, TheWalrusWasDanny <dannyisthewal...@tesco.net>
wrote:

I understand what you're saying, Danny but I just don't
have the motivation to cover every Beatles song like
you did. I'm perfectly capable of doing it...but I waited
too long to get started, and I'm perfectly happy to
see that you've covered it.

.I can move my fingers
> around the fretboard like a piece of piss.but instilling the songs of
> the fabs (and in fact the covers the fabs did) has made my brain do
> that little bit more somehow..it's unconcious..I know I'm a better
> songwriter than I was this time last year..for example I wrote Car
> Crash at this point last year (the Crash was on Jan 27th 2010) but the
> last song I wrote was tonight (Soup and Hair) and it's better (IMO)
> than Car Crash....though I won't knock car Crash since I like that
> too..but if I were to revisit Car Crash now I'd make it better.
>
> Danny

Well, the main thing for me, Danny, that gets me motived,
is a least a 4 or or 5 piece sound of a band...and some
production when necessary. I never had the desire to
be just a guitar player...or just a bass player, etc. It's
the entire piece of a song that I'm interested in. I love
your guitar playing...but for me to do what you've
done (if I did it myself) I would be bored.

P-Dub

Jan 30, 2011, 9:15:47 PM1/30/11
>> last song I wrote was tonight (Soup and Hair) and's it's better (IMO)

>> than Car Crash....though I won't knock car Crash since I like that
>> too..but if I were to revisit Car Crash now I'd make it better.
>>
>> Danny
>
> Well, the main thing for me, Danny, that gets me motived,
> is a least a 4 or or 5 piece sound of a band...and some
> production when necessary. I never had the desire to
> be just a guitar player...or just a bass player, etc. It's
> the entire piece of a song that I'm interested in. I love
> your guitar playing...but for me to do what you've
> done (if I did it myself) I would be bored.

Let's jam...

I can play almost EVERY BEATLES SONG ever written. (I'm a keyboard guy,
and I also play left-handed bass. I can play all the chords on guitar,
if need be.) I have been known to do the 2nd side of Abbey Road at gigs,
for example.

The only thing I need is the lyrics to be available. I can sing the lead
and/or harmony on all of em.

I was a classical piano player starting at age 5. I found the Beatles at
age 7, and started writing songs by the time I was 13. I'm 50 now, and
I'm in Christian band - and also in a side blues/rock band. Yes - we
play Beatles.

Let's set up in the middle of the ng, and start tearing it up.

It will be FUN. Playing the Beatles is never boring. If you guys can
sing the lead competently, I'll do the harmonies.

For the fun of it, let's throw in some Stones songs.

P-Dub: If it weren't for logistics, I would play all day every day.

King Size Johnson

Jan 31, 2011, 12:34:24 AM1/31/11

Hunter S. Thompson once typed out 'The Great Gatsby' and some
Hemingway works, in order to try and catch the "rhythms" of his
favorite writers; a lot of painters have also reproduced famous works
for the same reasons. It's not a new development.

Thankfully, not everyone is so self-absorbed that they need to film
themselves and post their reproductions on YouTube (and by proxy,
RMB). I'll wager there are tens of thousands of musicians who have
learned all The Beatles' songs -- and a good deal of them have
actually made money from it.

who?

Jan 31, 2011, 1:56:23 AM1/31/11

You sound very talented. I'm no Danny though. I dislike trying
to cover the Beatles music cause it never sounds good.
Danny has the accent and I would rather hear him play these
songs. It would be interesting to hear you both make a recording
together. Nil or RichL might be interested too.

Fattuchus

Jan 31, 2011, 4:13:40 AM1/31/11
On Jan 30, 7:04 pm, TheWalrusWasDanny <dannyisthewal...@tesco.net>
wrote:

This is marvelous news, Danny.

inwoo...@yahoo.com

Jan 31, 2011, 7:54:09 AM1/31/11

I actually quite enjoyed listening to Danny's version of the songs. I
enjoyed his interaction with his daughter on the songs too.

iarwain

Jan 31, 2011, 9:51:19 AM1/31/11
> I'll wager there are tens of thousands of musicians who have learned all The Beatles' songs

For a long time I intentionally tried NOT to learn their material. I
loved listening to them so much I didn't want to take away the "magic"
by learning how to play the songs, if you know what I mean. A lot of
times after learning a song (and especially if I played it repeatedly
in a band) I didn't much enjoy listening to it anymore. I didn't want
to take that chance with the Beatles. I mean I DID learn quite a few
of their songs (how could you not?), but I held myself back with
them. I didn't learn anywhere near as many as I could have. I picked
and chose very carefully, like it was a limited resource.

King Size Johnson

Jan 31, 2011, 11:37:47 AM1/31/11
On Jan 31, 7:54 am, "inwood_1...@yahoo.com" <inwood_1...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I actually quite enjoyed listening to Danny's version of the songs.  I
> enjoyed his interaction with his daughter on the songs too.

No one's debating whether you liked or disliked them -- it was about
hijacking a Beatles newsgroup for self-promotion.

Nil

Jan 31, 2011, 12:22:02 PM1/31/11
On 31 Jan 2011, King Size Johnson <belly...@yahoo.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> No one's debating whether you liked or disliked them -- it was
> about hijacking a Beatles newsgroup for self-promotion.

There no "hijacking" going on. There's plenty of other stuff going on,
and if you no likee, you are free to no clickee.

Stop nursing your grudge, Dannytard.

King Size Johnson

Jan 31, 2011, 12:48:49 PM1/31/11
On Jan 31, 12:22 pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> There no "hijacking" going on.

Not any more.

who?

Jan 31, 2011, 2:10:31 PM1/31/11

I was the same as you and could have written this post.

Nil

Jan 31, 2011, 4:27:22 PM1/31/11
On 31 Jan 2011, King Size Johnson <belly...@yahoo.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> On Jan 31, 12:22 pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>> There's no "hijacking" going on.
>
> Not any more.

There never was, except in your mind.

And as you say, even that's not going on now.

It's a good time for you to stop nursing your grudge.

TheWalrusWasDanny

Jan 31, 2011, 5:03:27 PM1/31/11
On Jan 31, 9:27 pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 31 Jan 2011, King Size Johnson <bellyfl...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> rec.music.beatles:
>
> > On Jan 31, 12:22 pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> >> There's no "hijacking" going on.
>
> > Not any more.
>
> There never was, except in your mind.
>
> And as you say, even that's not going on now.
>
> It's a good time for you to stop nursing your grudge.

Nil, contacted Pete who runs the Beatles day thingy..but I've missed
the bloody deadline..which is a bit crap since I did register my
interest waaaay back in 2010..and the guys know of my
channel..still..we'll see.

Danny

Nil

Jan 31, 2011, 5:44:05 PM1/31/11
On 31 Jan 2011, TheWalrusWasDanny <dannyist...@tesco.net> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> Nil, contacted Pete who runs the Beatles day thingy..but I've missed
> the bloody deadline..which is a bit crap since I did register my
> interest waaaay back in 2010..and the guys know of my
> channel..still..we'll see.

http://www.hastingsbeatlesday.org.uk/

Yeah, I see now they're all full up. Sorry to hear that. I was hoping
you had been keeping a close watch on it, or touching base with them
every once in a while. That's what happened last year, too - the slots
filled up before you applied. Maybe someone will drop out or they will
add some more slots. I hope so - this would be an ideal venue for you.

By the way, I notice that I'm in a few of the pictures for Beatles Day
#2 (at the St. Leonard's Marina Pavilion) and #5 (at the late, great
Hastings Pier ballroom.)

Stephen X. Carter

Jan 31, 2011, 5:54:04 PM1/31/11

LIke it or not, it was relentlessly ON TOPIC - for which we can express
our thanks.

--
steve.hat.stephencarter.not.com.but.net
Nothing is Beatle Proof!!

Anne Onime

Jan 31, 2011, 6:35:18 PM1/31/11
"Nil" <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message news:Xns9E7E7DCE...@130.133.4.11...
> On 31 Jan 2011, King Size Johnson <belly...@yahoo.com> wrote in
> rec.music.beatles:
>
>> No one's debating whether you liked or disliked them -- it was
>> about hijacking a Beatles newsgroup for self-promotion.
>
> There no "hijacking" going on. There's plenty of other stuff going on,
> and if you no likee, you are free to no clickee.
>
> Stop nursing your grudge, Dannytard.

Dannytard?

TheWalrusWasDanny

Jan 31, 2011, 7:24:22 PM1/31/11
> >No one's debating whether you liked or disliked them -- it was about
> >hijacking a Beatles newsgroup for self-promotion.
>
> LIke it or not, it was relentlessly ON TOPIC - for which we can express
> our thanks.

Thanks Stephen..I can't for the life of me see how my Beatles journey
of covering every Beatle song acoustically wasn't *on topic* there
were some discussions that grew from the vids during 2010 IIRC...and
the rmb crew coming together in NYC and filming things like Dig It at
Rich Ls seems utterly within this NG territory..particulary since I've
been posting in here since 1999..obviously there were many vids I had
to post during that time..but then it's a lot of material to cover
within the space of a year..my vid postings were better that watch
spam, or US politics stuff..and the rmb subscribers didn't have to
click on the bloody links!...so I got on the telly!! Isn't that part
of the fun we all share? Jazzy being excited and all that? I'm afraid
I just don't get how it can be knocked in here.

Sometimes I can see entirely why May buggered off all those years ago.

Danny

Sheik Barack Hussein

Jan 31, 2011, 8:53:49 PM1/31/11
On Jan 30, 4:04 pm, TheWalrusWasDanny <dannyisthewal...@tesco.net>
wrote:
> .... and do requests)..

Something by the Bonzos would be cool!

TheWalrusWasDanny

Jan 31, 2011, 9:37:26 PM1/31/11

A close friend of mine is still a member of the Bonzos..they were
never my cup of tea...my mate doesn't know that! Anthing specific you
want?

Danny

who?

Jan 31, 2011, 9:46:16 PM1/31/11
On Jan 31, 6:24 pm, TheWalrusWasDanny <dannyisthewal...@tesco.net>
wrote:

Yeah, well May can get paid for what she says, but not here.

brilton

Jan 31, 2011, 10:03:41 PM1/31/11

I've seen some clips of them performing on "Do Not Adjust Your Set", and
they look pretty "out there".

I also have a compilation of theirs, of which I like quite a lot of it.

King Size Johnson

Jan 31, 2011, 10:03:59 PM1/31/11
> Yeah, well May can get paid for what she says, but not here.

<ding ding> We have a winner!

Fattuchus

Jan 31, 2011, 11:49:18 PM1/31/11
On Jan 31, 5:54 pm, Stephen X. Carter <steve@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 08:37:47 -0800 (PST), King Size Johnson
>
> <bellyfl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >On Jan 31, 7:54 am, "inwood_1...@yahoo.com" <inwood_1...@yahoo.com>
> >wrote:
> >> I actually quite enjoyed listening to Danny's version of the songs.  I
> >> enjoyed his interaction with his daughter on the songs too.
>
> >No one's debating whether you liked or disliked them -- it was about
> >hijacking a Beatles newsgroup for self-promotion.
>
> LIke it or not, it was relentlessly ON TOPIC - for which we can express
> our thanks.

I agree completely.

John Doherty

Feb 1, 2011, 9:03:27 AM2/1/11

On Jan 31, 12:34 am, King Size Johnson <bellyfl...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hunter S. Thompson once typed out 'The Great Gatsby' and some
> Hemingway works, in order to try and catch the "rhythms" of his
> favorite writers; a lot of painters have also reproduced famous works
> for the same reasons. It's not a new development.
>
> Thankfully, not everyone is so self-absorbed that they need to film
> themselves and post their reproductions on YouTube (and by proxy,
> RMB). I'll wager there are tens of thousands of musicians who have
> learned all The Beatles' songs -- and a good deal of them have
> actually made money from it.

Hey, as someone else who has hijacked the group in a bit of Beatles
oriented self promotion, "I resemble that remark" (to quote a great
age;-).

I have only seen some of his videos, but I found them fun & the
occasional Jazzy component added something fresh, too. Every artist is
"self absorbed" to some degree-- you have to be to keep going. The
Beatles themselves made their covers of their idols part of their
work, so they established that they like the idea in principle.

In this day and age, putting something online allows one to graduate
from just being a "guy alone in a room" to becoming a global
performing artist, even if the audience is non paying and small
compared to previous notions of what that is.

Danny and I were on parallel journeys, bouncing off the work of the
Beatles we all love. I guess there's some difference in that I have
been a working professional for almost 30 years previously while I
gather he was more cutting his teeth in the profession (busking his
way into more gigging), but I have enjoyed his contributions greatly.

I've got two more drawings in my project and then I'm done-- my "year
of Beatles" started on the anniversary of the US debut on The Ed
Sullivan Show.

And though I have participated in newsgroups for years, this one
effort has been connected to actually <<producing something>> in the
realm of art. Some weeks it was "more perspiration than inspiration",
but I managed to get a drawing up every week.

Danny did that too, and I admire his effort, have enjoyed the results
and wish more contributors here could also produce something beautiful
occasionally other than all the hot air most of us regularly add.

Danny's a vocal Yokotard, and he's often on the other side of the
argument about whether it's a good idea to constantly attack Yoko.
We're not always allies in threads.

But his tackling the catalog, and putting it up for all to see &
criticize wasn't mandatory, and it seems a little churlish to knock
it, IMO.

Sheik Barack Hussein

Feb 1, 2011, 11:13:15 AM2/1/11
On Jan 31, 6:37 pm, TheWalrusWasDanny <dannyisthewal...@tesco.net>
wrote:

Is your mate a member of Three Bonzos and A Piano? Their new album is
great!

TheWalrusWasDanny

Feb 1, 2011, 11:32:11 AM2/1/11

> Danny's a vocal Yokotard, and he's often on the other side of the
> argument about whether it's a good idea to constantly attack Yoko.
> We're not always allies in threads.
>
> But his tackling the catalog, and putting it up for all to see &
> criticize wasn't mandatory, and it seems a little churlish to knock
> it, IMO.

Thank you John!!!

Danny

Message has been deleted

Donna

Feb 1, 2011, 3:10:31 PM2/1/11
On Feb 1, 12:30 pm, Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com> wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>
> >Yeah, well May can get paid for what she says, but not here.
>
> She's still around in some form. Officious Donna exists to report the
> newsgroup's every move to her.

I do no such thing, you anonymous coward.

On second thought, you may have just given yourself away. Perhaps
you're not so anonymous, after all.

Nomen Nescio

Feb 2, 2011, 11:37:44 AM2/2/11
"Donna" wrote in message news:ff04484e-a43b-4d9e...@x5g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

On Feb 1, 12:30 pm, Nomen Nescio wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>
> >Yeah, well May can get paid for what she says, but not here.
>
> She's still around in some form. Officious Donna exists to report the
> newsgroup's every move to her.

I do no such thing, you anonymous coward.

On second thought, you may have just given yourself away. Perhaps
you're not so anonymous, after all.

It's not my fault your twat smells like a dead fish, Donna.

Anne Onime

Feb 2, 2011, 12:38:19 PM2/2/11
"Donna" <tom....@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:ff04484e-a43b-4d9e...@x5g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

On Feb 1, 12:30 pm, Nomen Nescio <nob...@dizum.com> wrote:
> Jeff wrote:
>
> >Yeah, well May can get paid for what she says, but not here.
>
> She's still around in some form. Officious Donna exists to report the
> newsgroup's every move to her.

I do no such thing, you anonymous coward.

On second thought, you may have just given yourself away. Perhaps
you're not so anonymous, after all.

It's not my fault your twat smells like a dead fish.

John Doherty

Feb 2, 2011, 12:44:08 PM2/2/11
(bile snipped)

This latest turn of the thread reminds me of the old saw that "the
reason that feuds in academia are so vicious is because the stakes are
so low."

Donna

Feb 2, 2011, 1:02:59 PM2/2/11

I know. Classy, right?

And considering that we got one at 11:37 EST and a rerun at 12:38, I
suppose we should stay tuned for yet another repeated broadcast at
1:39.

Anne Onime

Feb 2, 2011, 1:29:29 PM2/2/11
belly...@yahoo.com

And considering that we got one at 11:37 EST and a rerun at 12:38, I
suppose we should stay tuned for yet another repeated broadcast at
1:39.

The stnking twat can tell time!

Nomen Nescio

Feb 2, 2011, 1:40:21 PM2/2/11