Mrs Robinson and I am the Walrus?

yachtboy!

Apr 21, 2003, 2:53:29 PM4/21/03
Geez, I really never paid any attention to it before, but Paul Simon
throws in a "Goo Goo Ga Joo " in the middle of Mrs Robinson. How odd.

Lizz Holmans

Apr 21, 2003, 3:29:22 PM4/21/03
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:53:29 GMT, swl_y...@yahoo.com (yachtboy!)
wrote:

>Geez, I really never paid any attention to it before, but Paul Simon
>throws in a "Goo Goo Ga Joo " in the middle of Mrs Robinson. How odd.

Not odd, but an homage.

Lizz 'Nowadays when I see that movie, I cheer for Mrs.Robinson'
Holmans

--
Boys is easier, and if you have sons it's worth trying for three.
Nanny Ogg

Dave

Apr 21, 2003, 4:44:05 PM4/21/03
"Lizz Holmans" <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:53:29 GMT, swl_y...@yahoo.com (yachtboy!)
> wrote:
>
> >Geez, I really never paid any attention to it before, but Paul Simon
> >throws in a "Goo Goo Ga Joo " in the middle of Mrs Robinson. How
odd.

> Not odd, but an homage.

Are you sure? I thought that Mrs. Robinson came out in 1967 (The
Graduate did at any rate) and possibly before Walrus (which was
December, right?).

Plus, to pick a nit, it's Goo Goo Ga Joob in Walrus and Koo Koo Ka Choo
in Mrs. R.

--Dave

yachtboy!

Apr 21, 2003, 4:53:32 PM4/21/03
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:44:05 GMT, "Dave"
<dc_was...@yahooXYZ.invalid> wrote:

>Plus, to pick a nit, it's Goo Goo Ga Joob in Walrus and Koo Koo Ka Choo
>in Mrs. R.
>
>--Dave

You are, of course, correct.

saki

Apr 21, 2003, 5:04:46 PM4/21/03
"Dave" <dc_was...@yahooXYZ.invalid> wrote in news:pKYoa.34286
$ey1.3...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net:

> "Lizz Holmans" <di...@jackalope.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:53:29 GMT, swl_y...@yahoo.com (yachtboy!)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Geez, I really never paid any attention to it before, but Paul Simon
>> >throws in a "Goo Goo Ga Joo " in the middle of Mrs Robinson. How
> odd.
>>
>> Not odd, but an homage.
>
> Are you sure? I thought that Mrs. Robinson came out in 1967 (The
> Graduate did at any rate) and possibly before Walrus (which was
> December, right?).

"I Am The Walrus" was recorded in September 1967 and released on November
27, 1967. "The Graduate" (which included an early version of "Mrs.
Robinson", not the later hit recording) was released on December 21,
1967.

Simon & Garfunkel's hit "Mrs. Robinson" charted in May 1968.

> Plus, to pick a nit, it's Goo Goo Ga Joob in Walrus and Koo Koo Ka Choo
> in Mrs. R.

Correct, that's how Simon heard it. There was originally some uncertainty
about transcribing this part of the "Walrus" lyric, as I recall. The
Firesign Theatre heard it as Simon did and included the phrase in their
live radio broadcast of "The Giant Rat of Sumatra" in early 1968, but the
reference there was clearly to the Beatles' song.

----
"Any portfolio in a storm...."
------------------
sa...@ucla.edu

Sean Carroll

Apr 21, 2003, 5:58:41 PM4/21/03
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 20:44:05 GMT, "Dave"
<dc_was...@yahooXYZ.invalid> wrote:

>Plus, to pick a nit, it's Goo Goo Ga Joob in Walrus and Koo Koo Ka Choo
>in Mrs. R.

A distinction I've had to point out to people *many* times. You'd be
amazed how many think the line in 'Walrus' was 'koo koo kachoo'.

--Sean
http://www.livejournal.com/users/spclsd223/

Doctor Thomas B. Who

Apr 21, 2003, 10:03:02 PM4/21/03
But is it REALLY worth it to debate the spelling of something like "Goo goo
ga joob"?!

That's like those Rocky Horror people. They debate over how the word
"Schmanet" is properly spelled for goodness sakes!!

Sean Carroll <se...@kua.net> wrote in message

Jake

Apr 22, 2003, 12:39:10 AM4/22/03
<<The Firesign Theatre heard it as Simon did and included the phrase
in their live radio broadcast of "The Giant Rat of Sumatra" in early
1968, but the reference there was clearly to the Beatles' song.>>

The Firesign Theater also had numerous Beatles references in their How
Can You Be Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere At All album
including Lennon's photo on the front (along with Groucho Marx). I
seem to remember a character on the Nick Danger, Third Eye side of the
LP tossing in a "Koo Koo Kachoo" along with "everyone knew her as
Nancy" and "I'm so tired".

mister john

Apr 22, 2003, 11:03:22 AM4/22/03
maybe it mean sumfin spcsels inda waltrus langueg...

Dauber

Apr 22, 2003, 2:27:01 PM4/22/03
Waaaaay back on 21-Apr-03 16:04:46, saki said this about Re: Mrs Robinson and I am the Walrus?:

>"I Am The Walrus" was recorded in September 1967 and released on November
>27, 1967. "The Graduate" (which included an early version of "Mrs.
>Robinson", not the later hit recording) was released on December 21,
>1967.

>Simon & Garfunkel's hit "Mrs. Robinson" charted in May 1968.

....aaaaaaaand, let the record show that the 1967 version of "Mrs. Robinson" did NOT have the "[g/k]oo [g/k]oo [goo/ka] [j/ch]oo[b]" line in it. In fact, here are ALL the lyrics to that version: [note the lack of verses]:

And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson.
Jesus loves you more than you will know.
Stand up tall, Mrs. Robinson.
God in Heaven smiles on those who pray, hey hey hey, hey hey hey.

--
dauber (at) banana-and-louie (dot) org * ICQ: 28677921
Beatles fan since 1987 * Yellow Dog fan since 1994

mister john

Apr 22, 2003, 9:20:21 PM4/22/03
mista john remine poeple ovit many time to...

(((db)))

Apr 22, 2003, 11:13:20 PM4/22/03
I find it extremely hard to believe that Mista John could even spell goo goo
ga joob or any alternative thereof....what say you mista john? I am
extremely curious to see your spelling of it!

"mister john" <miste...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

mister john

Apr 23, 2003, 11:02:50 AM4/23/03
goo goo ga goob...no problm atalls fer mista john!!! :)

Doctor Thomas B. Who

Apr 23, 2003, 3:46:40 PM4/23/03
It's "Joob", dumbshit.

Owenperk