Cynthia Lennon Recalls the Ad Lib Club, Keith Moon

Norbert K

Jan 20, 2022, 8:54:07 AM1/20/22
From Cynthia Lennon's book John:

"One of [Cynthia's & John's] favoite haunts was the Ad Lib Club. A discrete door led to a hallway with a lift, which took us to the club on the top floor. Inside, the design was minimalist, with cushioned benches and long, low tables set around a central dance floor. The club would be buzzing all night, and was the favorite haunt of most of the pop stars of the day. We'd talk, drink and dance the night away with singing twins Paul and Barry Ryan, our old Liverpool mates Freddie and the Dreamers and Gerry and the Pacemakers, plus the Who, the Rolling Stones, the Animals and Georgie Fame. Who drummer Keith Moon and I had wonderful philosophical conversations whenever we met. Despite his mad-rocker image, I found him sensitive and serious-minded and I was sad when, I decade later, he died so young."

Emma Smulders

Jan 20, 2022, 11:38:00 AM1/20/22
Op donderdag 20 januari 2022 om 14:54:07 UTC+1 schreef Norbert K:
> From Cynthia Lennon's book John:
>
> "One of [Cynthia's & John's] favoite haunts was the Ad Lib Club. A discrete door led to a hallway with a lift, which took us to the club on the top floor. Inside, the design was minimalist, with cushioned benches and long, low tables set around a central dance floor. The club would be buzzing all night, and was the favorite haunt of most of the pop stars of the day. We'd talk, drink and dance the night away with singing twins Paul and Barry Ryan, our old Liverpool mates Freddie and the Dreamers and Gerry and the Pacemakers, plus the Who, the Rolling Stones, the Animals and Georgie Fame. Who drummer Keith Moon and I had wonderful philosophical conversations whenever we met. Despite his mad-rocker image, I found him sensitive and serious-minded and I was sad when, I decade later, he died so young."

In May's book there is also a passage where May and Keith talk and where I also could describe him as sensitive and serious.

Norbert K

Jan 20, 2022, 11:56:18 AM1/20/22
Yes, indeed. I remember the passage.