First four Beatles albums have been remixed in stereo

LKeavney

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

The first four albums were remixed in stereo a couple of years back and they
sound wonderful!! You can even hear the band breathing and the strum of the
guitar strings!! I forget the name of the boot but I'll get back to you. I
pretty sure that its still in print.

fr

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

LKeavney skrev i meldingen
<19980307225...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

I think the name is "The Original Masters".

fr

Ann K Ceresa

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

LKeavney <lkea...@aol.com> wrote in article

<19980307225...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...
> The first four albums were remixed in stereo a couple of years back and
they
> sound wonderful!! You can even hear the band breathing and the strum of
the
> guitar strings!! I forget the name of the boot but I'll get back to you.
> pretty sure that its still in print.

Don't believe it. the first, at least, was recorded on two track, with all
the instruments on one channel and all vocals on the other. the best
stereo you could get would be that mix - vocals on one side, instruments on
the other. mono sounds MUCH better. in any case, they've been available
legally (NOT on bootlegs) in this "stereo" mix for years. which all goes
to show: don't believe anyone who posts from aol.

BritBeat64

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

In article <01bd4a49$44e3f4e0$639bdccf@default>, "Ann K Ceresa"
<ece...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>don't believe anyone who posts from aol.

why?

Murcura

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

"Ann K Ceresa" <ece...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> don't believe anyone who posts from aol.

I guess Mr. Kozinn's contributions are no longer welcome
here. Sorry Allan.

*****************************
Sean Murdock
mur...@aol.com

Alex Shkoditzh

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

Ann K Ceresa <ece...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<01bd4a49$44e3f4e0$639bdccf@default>...

> LKeavney <lkea...@aol.com> wrote in article
> <19980307225...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

> mono sounds MUCH better. in any case, they've been available
> legally (NOT on bootlegs) in this "stereo" mix for years. which all goes

> to show: don't believe anyone who posts from aol.

The Bootleg CD, "Original Master Recordings" on Beat CD 013-2 was made from
MFSL half speed masters for a boxed set that was released (on vinyl) in the
early 80's.
The masters of "Original Masters" fell into the hands of the Beat Records
people who released them - the first four albums in true stereo on a 2 CD
set.
The sound is awesome. Although a case may be made for releasing the first 2
albums in mono, AHDN and BFS were recorded in four track and have a
wonderfull stereo image. In any case, all four albums sound better on this
"boot" than they do on their official releases. If you must have the mono,
buy this CD and hit the mono switch on your amp.
Your ears will still be happier with this than the current commercial
realeases.

Alex

Flabby Toad

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

BritBeat64 wrote:

> In article <01bd4a49$44e3f4e0$639bdccf@default>, "Ann K Ceresa"

> <ece...@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> >don't believe anyone who posts from aol.
>

> why?

Some people are actually proud of their internet provider. Some people
think that their ISP makes them smarter than people who use more common
internet connections, like aol. Some people are fucking stupid.

Being proud of your ISP is like being proud of your car insurance
company.

web...@nym.lycaeum.org

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

In article <01bd4a49$44e3f4e0$639bdccf@default>,

"Ann K Ceresa" <ece...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> LKeavney <lkea...@aol.com> wrote in article
> <19980307225...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...
> > The first four albums were remixed in stereo a couple of years back and
> they
> > sound wonderful!! You can even hear the band breathing and the strum of
> the
> > guitar strings!! I forget the name of the boot but I'll get back to you.
> > pretty sure that its still in print.
> >

> Don't believe it. the first, at least, was recorded on two track, with all
> the instruments on one channel and all vocals on the other. the best
> stereo you could get would be that mix - vocals on one side, instruments on
> the other. mono sounds MUCH better. in any case, they've been available

> legally (NOT on bootlegs) in this "stereo" mix for years. which all goes
> to show: don't believe anyone who posts from aol.

Exactly right! I have the vinyl versions of the first four cd's and they're
in "stereo" with the vocals on one side and the instruments on the other.
George Martin stated in 1987 that the first four discs would probably never
be released in stereo because he disliked the split so much. It would also
make no sense for EMI to release mono versions of the first four c.d.'s and
then turn around two months later and release "Help", "Rubber Soul", and
"Revolver" in brilliant stereo! If this was some kind of marketing ploy, I'm
sure the first four "stereo" cd's would've been out long ago! If you really
need to hear "Love Me Do" or "It Won't Be Long" in stereo, find the vinyl
versions and you'll hear why Martin dislikes the psuedo-stereo so much.

Ravi Kiran

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

web...@nym.lycaeum.org wrote:

> Exactly right! I have the vinyl versions of the first four cd's and they're
> in "stereo" with the vocals on one side and the instruments on the other.
> George Martin stated in 1987 that the first four discs would probably never

> be released in stereo because he disliked the split so much. If you really

> need to hear "Love Me Do" or "It Won't Be Long" in stereo, find the vinyl
> versions and you'll hear why Martin dislikes the psuedo-stereo so much.

Love Me Do doesn't exist in stereo. Couldn't the vocal channel be panned
to the center if the first two were remixed? AHDN and BFS can and should
be remixed in the future. By the way, when are we going to get some
remasters? I've heard that MFSL is negotiating with EMI to release gold
discs. I emailed them myself. No rumor.

JNugent231

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

On Monday 9/3/98 at about 09:30, the BBC (Radio 2 FM) played "AHDN" in stereo.
I listened intently, and I am convinced that the recording was not on vinyl (on
FM radio, you can hear ticks, pops, etc, and on the odd occasion the Beeb use
vinyl today, you can hear it straightaway).

Do the BBC have their own in-house CDs or MDs of the material in stereo?

On the same day, two announcers (T Wogan and J Young) indulged in some banter
suggesting that MD has now become the BBC's in-studio choice for jingles,
trailers, station idents, etc.

Murcura

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

jnuge...@aol.com (JNugent231) writes:

> On Monday 9/3/98 at about 09:30, the BBC (Radio 2 FM) played "AHDN" in
stereo.
> I listened intently, and I am convinced that the recording was not on vinyl
(on
> FM radio, you can hear ticks, pops, etc, and on the odd occasion the Beeb use
> vinyl today, you can hear it straightaway).
>
> Do the BBC have their own in-house CDs or MDs of the material in stereo?

If you're talking about the *song* "AHDN" (rather than the album), it's
available in stereo on the Red Album.

*****************************
Sean Murdock
mur...@aol.com

web...@nym.lycaeum.org

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

In article <19980310152...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
I remember George Martin on "The Complete Beatles" Documentary discussing how
many of the songs were recorded on four track (as he puts it) "In straight
stereo"... it is possible AHDN and BFS were originally done in stereo, but
for some reason capitol chose to release them in mono for the cd's. I have
the red album and AHDN sounds good in stereo. I hadn't listened to the
albums in so long I had forgotten. Also it's possible an MD dub was made
from a good tape...

Luke Pacholski

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

In article <6e48u6$2ie$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, web...@nym.lycaeum.org wrote:

> I remember George Martin on "The Complete Beatles" Documentary discussing how
> many of the songs were recorded on four track (as he puts it) "In straight
> stereo"... it is possible AHDN and BFS were originally done in stereo, but
> for some reason capitol chose to release them in mono for the cd's. I have
> the red album and AHDN sounds good in stereo. I hadn't listened to the
> albums in so long I had forgotten. Also it's possible an MD dub was made
> from a good tape...

I have _no_ idea what he means by 'straight stereo'... No, rhythm track on
one track of the tape, lead vocal on another, stuff like lead guitar on
another, and overdubs on another (well, all could be overdubs, but...).

For some reason, when Martin heard the stereo mixes of AHDN and BFS in
1986, he hated them and wanted the mono mixes put out. I'm not sure what he
was on at the time, but...<g>

Capitol made no decisions in the matter. They simply put out whatever EMI
gave to them...

Luke

Luke Pacholski

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

> Love Me Do doesn't exist in stereo. Couldn't the vocal channel be panned
> to the center if the first two were remixed? AHDN and BFS can and should
> be remixed in the future. By the way, when are we going to get some
> remasters? I've heard that MFSL is negotiating with EMI to release gold
> discs. I emailed them myself. No rumor.

Yes, things can be panned - listen to 'All My Loving' on the Red CD... As
for AHDN and BFS, yes they can and should be remixed, but I would also be
happy with the stereo mixes made in 1964...there is nothing really wrong
with them. I would just like them remixed for better sound quality...

Luke