Concert For George -- Marc Mann, guitar

Stephen

Oct 11, 2003, 12:06:54 AM10/11/03
It was amusing to see someone other than Eric Clapton playing his note-for-note lead guitar fills on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  That assignment fell to guitarist Marc Mann (whom I admit I never heard of before -- though he contributed to several tracks on Brainwashed) while EC handled the vocals on WMGGW.  Eric did play the main solo and the outro solo.  Marc Mann also played all the lead on Something (I also expected that EC would've done that) and did an admirable job recreating many of George's memorable slide guitar parts, particularly on Isn't It A Pity. Nice goin', Marc!

TAR

Oct 11, 2003, 1:39:19 AM10/11/03
Stephen wrote:

> It was amusing to see someone other than Eric Clapton playing his
> note-for-note lead guitar fills on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

That's the exact same thing my husband said to me.

UEF

Oct 11, 2003, 11:34:35 AM10/11/03
Strange, seeing as Clapton always improvises.

"TAR" <tom....@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Peter V

Oct 11, 2003, 10:58:18 PM10/11/03
Marc Mann actually was a "member" of ELO in it's most recent incarnation in
2001. He is on the album "Zoom" and played on the ELO VH1 Storytellers and a
couple of shows that were recorded and shown on PBS as well as released on
video called "Zoom Tour Live" If I am not mistaken, he was also involved with
either "Free As A Bird" and/or "Real Love" in some capacity.

PeterV

>From: "Stephen" NOSPAMst...@nyc.rr.com

>That =
>assignment fell to guitarist Marc Mann (whom I admit I never heard of =

mrpiesik...@gtempaccount.com

Oct 25, 2014, 9:07:41 AM10/25/14
If I am not mistaken, he was also involved with
> either "Free As A Bird" and/or "Real Love" in some capacity.
>
> PeterV

Yes, he helped Jeff Lynne work on "cleaning" and "denoising" (if that's even a word) the original John Lennon recording (from cassette). Marc is an expert at ProTools and the like.

zippl...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2014, 6:50:25 PM11/13/14
On Friday, October 10, 2003 11:08:01 PM UTC-5, Stephen wrote:
> It was amusing to see someone other than Eric Clapton playing his
> note-for-note lead guitar fills on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Clapton has never performed this song note for note. It's been close.

cadon...@gmail.com

Oct 3, 2017, 9:58:36 AM10/3/17
Eric didn't want to hog the limelight. He had great affection for George and wanted the concert to be great and not an ec
concert.

Norbert K

Oct 3, 2017, 10:38:02 AM10/3/17
On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 9:58:36 AM UTC-4, cadon...@gmail.com wrote:
> Eric didn't want to hog the limelight. He had great affection for George and wanted the concert to be great and not an ec
> concert.

Unlike Prince at the R&R Hall of Fame, you mean? A lot of people were ecstatic over that, but I hated it. Prince made that performance about himself, adding metal licks to the solo, etc. It really rubbed me the wrong way.

Nil

Oct 3, 2017, 12:52:51 PM10/3/17
On 03 Oct 2017, Norbert K <norbert...@gmail.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> Unlike Prince at the R&R Hall of Fame, you mean? A lot of people
> were ecstatic over that, but I hated it. Prince made that
> performance about himself, adding metal licks to the solo, etc.
> It really rubbed me the wrong way.

I thought that was fine for a one-time thing. Yes, it was over-the-top
and far from tasteful, but it was a great shot of energy and very
exciting entertainment. I guess it would rub me the wrong way if I
didn't just "let Prince do what Prince does."

Dresden Houndiearfums

Oct 3, 2017, 1:07:27 PM10/3/17
Oh Nil, if only the R&R HOF would have consulted you first before
something as distasteful as this took place.

Im sure the R&R HOF Board is resting easier over the fact that you have
declared it "fine for a one-time thing".

If only the rest of mankind would consult you on everything before
anything is done the world would be a better place with no hurricanes
and no bad music.

Marcus

Oct 3, 2017, 1:49:31 PM10/3/17
At least Nil has had accomplishments. What's yours? Being a troll on Usenet? Mom and Dad must be so proud.

Dresden Houndiearfums

Oct 3, 2017, 4:25:30 PM10/3/17
Oh Nil your acolytes are so devoted to you as they should be. This one
sounds like he swallowed a big load of yours which is why he is
especially snotty. But he is going to mess up his Bernie Sanders posters
with all that cum and saliva on his fingers.

Dresden Houndiearfums

Oct 6, 2017, 8:54:12 AM10/6/17
On 04-Oct-17 17:50, jjaj...@netscape.net wrote:
> OMG, that is disgusting, but good!
>
> Uni :-)

Nil is so important that his fervent acolytes will do anything to please
him. This one in particular swallows so much of Nil's semen in the hope
that Nil's brilliant DNA will merge with his so he won't be thought of
as an insignificant turd. Speaking of turds, he even ingests Nil's
dingleberries after tossing his salad.

Norbert K

Oct 6, 2017, 9:26:48 AM10/6/17
It seemed out of context to me. I read later that when Prince was negotiating whether or not to perform, he insisted that he be allowed to "own" the performance, which struck me as ugly. Also, if I remember it correctly, George's son smiled a bit when Prince started getting over the top -- but the other, more mature players didn't look so happy.

I guess I'm in the minority on this, though. One reviewer said it was the greatest event at a R&R HOF induction ever; and a lot of the online commentators seemed awestruck by it.

541326...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2018, 1:15:28 AM3/22/18
And he did Georges guitar parts on Wah Wah. I was surprised to see EC playing rythm when Marc cut loose, but he did an incredible job, playing both the horn and George's guitar licks from the original Phil Spectre mix.

dkerw...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2019, 12:37:45 PM12/25/19
He did an incredible job at the Concert for George. His best moments for me were his playing on Give Me Love and Something. I appreciate it when a musician stays on course and nails it and doesn't go off on his own personal licks. He contributed greatly to keeping that Concert a tribute to George and his music, not just another adhoc jam with all that talent around him. Thanks Marc!

terry.s...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2020, 3:08:38 AM7/12/20
Prince was a fanatic about no one making profit off his music. He believed music belonged to everyone for free. You have to remember that back in da day black musicians were taken advantage of by other folks making more money off their music than they did. Read the article in the New York Times it better explains the conversations from the producers oen mouth. Or Google it. Lots of articles came out after Princes death about this. BTW most folks forget this was a rock and roll induction and Prince was inducted the same night as Harrison which is why he was asked to play in the tribute given the second solo and told by Petty to cut loose and do his thing. Harrison and Prince were both inductees that night.

Norbert K

Jul 12, 2020, 7:47:17 AM7/12/20
On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 3:08:38 AM UTC-4, terry.s...@gmail.com wrote:
> Prince was a fanatic about no one making profit off his music. He believed music belonged to everyone for free. You have to remember that back in da day black musicians were taken advantage of by other folks making more money off their music than they did. Read the article in the New York Times it better explains the conversations from the producers oen mouth. Or Google it. Lots of articles came out after Princes death about this. BTW most folks forget this was a rock and roll induction and Prince was inducted the same night as Harrison which is why he was asked to play in the tribute given the second solo and told by Petty to cut loose and do his thing. Harrison and Prince were both inductees that night.

I like a lot of Prince's stuff but I thought his performance on "While My Guitar..." was over the top. This was supposed to be a tribute to Harrison, yet Prince strove to make it about himself. It was extremely unHarrisonlike.

And that magic trick at the end, where Prince threw the guitar in the air and it never came down? I guess this was supposed to suggest that he threw it -- and Harrison's spirit grabbed the guitar. I don't think Harrison's ghost, if there was such a thing, would have wanted it.