Fastest Beatles Song? Slowest?

D Finnigan

Dec 6, 2009, 2:45:03 PM12/6/09
I was wondering, while listening to some fast tempo'd Beatles song (Hard
Day's Night and the like) if anyone knows what the fastest one they did was?
Seems like the slowest one I can think of is Long Long Long on the White
album.

Anyone know?

Todd

Dec 6, 2009, 3:18:24 PM12/6/09
Revolution, the single is pretty fast. Not Revolution #1 from the White
Album.

SynMusic

Dec 6, 2009, 3:48:15 PM12/6/09
Slow Down ( Fastest
Goodnight ( slowest )

Dr. Strangemonde

Dec 6, 2009, 5:51:45 PM12/6/09
The following list is from www.djbpmstudio.com:

Act Naturally 92.94
Another Girl 88.80
Dizzy Miss Lizzy 134.97
Help! 95.70
I Need You 137.42
It's Only Love 112.75
I've Just Seen a Face 120.87
Tell Me What You See 136.24
The Night Before 85.41
Ticket to Ride 124.22
Yesterday 96.17
You Like Me Too Much 88.54
You're Going to Lose that Girl 131.66
You've Got to Hide Your Love A 92.58
Hey Jude 148.07
Revolution 121.96
I Feel Fine 89.85
She's A Woman 88.85
I Want To Hold Your Hand 131.67
This Boy 110.99
Anna (Go to Him) 110.36
Ask Me Why 134.80
Baby It's You 113.16
Boys 144.59
Chains 128.92
Do You Want to Know a Secret 124.04
I Saw Her Standing There 162.14
Misery 134.84
Please Please Me 124.63
There's a Place 141.94
Twist and Shout 124.73
A Taste of Honey 103.51
Anna (Go to Him) 109.93
Ask Me Why 134.93
Baby It's You 112.71
Boys 143.54
Chains 130.11
Do You Want to Know a Secret 124.53
I Saw Her Standing There 161.63
Misery 133.52
Please Please Me 138.92
There's a Place 139.91
Twist and Shout 124.12
Lady Madonna 109.87
The Inner Light 103.28
Dig a Pony 114.14
Don't Let Me Down 82.30
Get Back #1 123.82
Get Back #2 124.97
Get Back #3 125.65
>I've Got a Feeling 82.64
One After 909 90.53
Across The Universe 152.50
Dig A Pony 116.75
>>Dig It 147.11
For You Blue 127.85
Get Back 122.53
I Me Mine 95.37
>I've Got a Feeling 82.98
Let It Be 137.84
Maggie Mae 83.74
One After 909 91.14
The Long and Winding Road 110.74
Two of Us 110.13
You Know My Name 119.16

Dr. Strangemonde

Dec 6, 2009, 5:54:32 PM12/6/09
My computer was trying to shut down, so i sent that last post without
noting that the BPMs (beats per minute) in the list appear to be
calculated at "double-time" on some songs, so if a slow song has a
reading of 148.22, I assume it should read at 74.11 instead.

Make sense?

- Dr S

t...@aerovons.com

Dec 6, 2009, 5:55:41 PM12/6/09
On Dec 6, 5:51 pm, "Dr. Strangemonde" <danc...@realtime.net> wrote:
> The following list is fromwww.djbpmstudio.com:

Nah the fastest is easily "All Together Now" near the end of the
tune..

TH

t...@aerovons.com

Dec 6, 2009, 5:56:29 PM12/6/09
Hey Jude 148.07

You're kidding, right?

TH

Dr. Strangemonde

Dec 6, 2009, 6:02:26 PM12/6/09

Read my follow-up post, Bessy Goodheart!

- Dr S

RichL

Dec 6, 2009, 8:15:55 PM12/6/09

Yeah, a lot of them looked awfully fast to me.

I didn't see Helter Skelter on your list. I'm betting it's near the
top, if not at the top.

Mack A. Damia

Dec 6, 2009, 8:35:15 PM12/6/09

Haven't seen, "Back in the USSR", mentioned.

Pettty damn fast.

D Finnigan

Dec 6, 2009, 9:06:43 PM12/6/09
RichLwrote:

> I didn't see Helter Skelter on your list. I'm betting it's near the
> top, if not at the top.

I don't believe that it's really that fast, though. I can hear it in my
head, and it doesn't seem to be faster than She Loves You, for example.

ermitano

Dec 6, 2009, 10:08:41 PM12/6/09

better explain what is a fast song. also i don't think that everybody
knows what bpm is, if you want to use the bpm value to measure the
speed of a song.

The Arranger

Dec 6, 2009, 10:30:38 PM12/6/09
On Dec 6, 8:15 pm, "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote:

On metronome marking, I'd guess "I've Just Seen a Face" is the fastest
song...off the top of my head.

The Arranger

RichL

Dec 6, 2009, 10:58:17 PM12/6/09

There's some ambiguity in that one. Depends how you define a "beat".
Strangemonde's link gave 120.87 bpm, I just clocked the first verse at
about 130, but that assumes that roughly every other syllable is a beat
(roughly):

I'VE just SEEN a FACE I CAN'T forGET the TIME or PLACE etc.

However, I'd say intuitively the "correct" quarter note is half that
value, i.e., each syllable would be a beat. In that case, my clocking
translates to 260 bpm!

I think we have a winner.

Dr. Strangemonde

Dec 7, 2009, 4:02:22 AM12/7/09
On Dec 6, 9:58 pm, "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I think the person who suggested the end of All Together Now has us
all beat.

But in any case, I tried to "correct" the songs in the list (or most
of them, anyway) according to the way my gut hears the songs:

Act Naturally       184.94

Anna (Go to Him)   110.36

Another Girl        177.60
Ask Me Why      134.80
Baby It's You   112.16
Boys   144.59
Chains  128.92

Dig A Pony      116.75
Dig It   147.11

Dizzy Miss Lizzy   134.97

Don't Let Me Down       82.30

Do You Want to Know a Secret    124.04

For You Blue    127.85
Help!                 95.70
Hey Jude        74.03
I Feel Fine     178.43

I Saw Her Standing There        162.14

I Me Mine       95.37

It's Only Love      112.75

I've Just Seen a Face   241.74

I Want To Hold Your Hand        131.67

I've Got a Feeling  165.46
Lady Madonna    218.87

The Long and Winding Road       110.74

One After 909   181.03
Please Please Me        124.63
Revolution      121.96
She's A Woman   176.71

Tell Me What You See    136.24

The Night Before        170.84

There's a Place 141.94

This Boy        110.99
Ticket to Ride  124.22
Two of Us       220.26
Yesterday       96.17
You Like Me Too Much    177.08

You're Going to Lose that Girl  131.66

You've Got to Hide Your Love  92.58

These are all open to argument, of course...

- Dr S

Jeff

Dec 7, 2009, 6:22:16 AM12/7/09

My computer is constantly trying to shut down. It makes no sense
that this gadget dislikes me personally. I'm looking for a
relationship that works. Please advise me. LMAO.

Jeff

JohnB

Dec 7, 2009, 11:15:28 AM12/7/09

I'm wondering how fast "Rock'n'Roll Music" would clock in at?
"Long Tall Sally" shifts a bit too.
Ringo's drum solo in Birthday suggests a pretty quick underlying beat
too.

Nil

Dec 7, 2009, 11:35:40 AM12/7/09
On 07 Dec 2009, JohnB <john...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> I'm wondering how fast "Rock'n'Roll Music" would clock in at?

According to my trusty metronome, it's about 170. Pretty fast!

> "Long Tall Sally" shifts a bit too.

It's about 174. A little faster even!

> Ringo's drum solo in Birthday suggests a pretty quick underlying
> beat too.

It's about 140. Lost in the dust.

I just found a pretty nice little on-line metronone:

<http://www.seventhstring.com/metronome/metronome.html>

I like it because it's got a tap-tempo feature. It's a little java
application, and you can download it and run it off-line, too.

Dr. Strangemonde

Dec 7, 2009, 11:38:38 AM12/7/09
On Dec 7, 10:15 am, JohnB <johnbo...@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm wondering how fast "Rock'n'Roll Music" would clock in at?

I really have nothing to say about that, except they try to play it
too darn fast! It spoils the beauty of the melody until it sounds just
like a symphony!

- Dr S

mtra...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2012, 4:06:07 PM6/17/12
I'm rather confident that Back in the USSR is the fastest.

RichL

Jun 17, 2012, 4:49:14 PM6/17/12
<mtra...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm rather confident that Back in the USSR is the fastest.

I'm even more confident that Long Tall Sally is faster. But I bet it's not
the fastest, either!

Nil

Jun 17, 2012, 5:00:44 PM6/17/12
On 17 Jun 2012, mtra...@gmail.com wrote in rec.music.beatles:

> I'm rather confident that Back in the USSR is the fastest.

According to my rigorous laboratory test (tapping my fingers along with
the song,) "Back in the USSR" comes in at a lowly #13 in the speed
test. Some of these were early live covers when they had a lot of
excess energy.

1. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry (Over You)
2. I've Just Seen a Face
3. Some Other Guy
4. That's All Right (Mama)
5. I Wanna Be Your Man
6. Help!
7. Her Majesty
7. Leave My Kitten Alone
9. Hey Bulldog
10. Slow Down
11. Can't Buy Me Love
12. Don't Bother Me
13. Back in the U.S.S.R.

Nil

Jun 17, 2012, 5:17:36 PM6/17/12
On 17 Jun 2012, "RichL" <rple...@yahoo.com> wrote in
rec.music.beatles:

> I'm even more confident that Long Tall Sally is faster. But I bet
> it's not the fastest, either!

Oops, I overlooked that one. I reconsidered the order of the others, so
now the undisputably fastest songs are:

1. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry (Over You)
2. I've Just Seen a Face
3. That's All Right (Mama)
4. Leave My Kitten Alone
5. Some Other Guy
6. Help!
7. I Wanna Be Your Man
8. Her Majesty
9. Hey Bulldog
10. Slow Down
11. Can't Buy Me Love
12. Don't Bother Me
13. Long Tall Sally
14. Back in the U.S.S.R.

RichL

Jun 17, 2012, 5:56:38 PM6/17/12
"Nil" <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
We've done this before here, as it turns out:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.beatles/browse_thread/thread/f5944cc2a475f2cd

And you and I were there!

hislop

Jun 17, 2012, 9:11:50 PM6/17/12
On 18/06/2012 6:06 AM, mtra...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm rather confident that Back in the USSR is the fastest.

You Really Got A Hold On Me must be somewhere near their slowest.

WillyShears

Jun 17, 2012, 11:05:50 PM6/17/12
On 6/17/2012 3:06 PM, mtra...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm rather confident that Back in the USSR is the fastest.
Fastest- Get Back
Slowest- I'm So Tired
Willy

belto...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2019, 1:37:54 PM3/24/19
On Monday, 7 December 2009 03:45:03 UTC+8, D Finnigan wrote:
> I was wondering, while listening to some fast tempo'd Beatles song (Hard
> Day's Night and the like) if anyone knows what the fastest one they did was?
> Seems like the slowest one I can think of is Long Long Long on the White
> album.
>
> Anyone know?

All my loving is kinda fast if you listen to the guitar, for strumming. its in triplets and can be tricky to play