What are the most Indian-sounding Beatles songs?

Rich Billionaire

Jan 23, 2009, 11:21:57 PM1/23/09

I heard a Beatles song in a store with a heavy indian sound and a lot
of sitar playing. I loved it. It sounded a lot more Indian than
Norwegian Wood. I don't know what the title is. I couldn't make out
the lyrics either. Can you guys tell me which are the Beatles songs
that sound the most Indian?

goldenc...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2009, 11:23:42 PM1/23/09
On Jan 23, 8:21 pm, Rich Billionaire <f...@billionairesclub.com>
wrote:

WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU or INNER LIGHT

www.Shemakhan.com

goldenc...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2009, 11:25:44 PM1/23/09

...and LOVE YOU TO (sorry!)

www.Shemakhan.com

Rich Billionaire

Jan 23, 2009, 11:26:06 PM1/23/09

>> WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU or INNER LIGHT
>
>...and LOVE YOU TO

Thanks!

globular

Jan 23, 2009, 11:28:01 PM1/23/09

This is because Indians are playing on them.
The Inner Light was largely Indian, recording in India.
It was while the music for Wonderwall was being recorded in Bombay.
One was taken to the Beatles.

Obviously songs like Love You To and Within You, Without You for
sounding Indian.

goldenc...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2009, 11:32:41 PM1/23/09

Absolutely correct!!!

Though we should point out that WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU (on the SGT
PEPPER recording) also includes an Indian *sounding* arrangement for
strings (violins cellos) by George Martin (Sir) .

topaz...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2009, 3:11:22 AM1/24/09
On Jan 23, 11:21 pm, Rich Billionaire <f...@billionairesclub.com>
wrote:

Within YOu, Without You is the very first one that comes to my mind.
If you recall the song was sung by George and yes the lyrics were a
little tough to tease out depending on the volume at which the song is
played

Jones

Jan 24, 2009, 5:33:08 AM1/24/09
I always felt "The Night Before" was the first eastern sounding Beatles
song. The signature melodic line: We said our good bye eye eye eyes..."
very much evokes for me the holy man in the minaret calling the faithful
to prayer. Then the guitar break: "Bzzeedrap. Bzzeedrap. bzzubba dubba
duh...bzzeeedrap", I would almost bet was influenced by Paul's Help
movie set exposure to eastern instruments.

Timothy J

globular

Jan 24, 2009, 8:25:22 AM1/24/09

I only said 'sounding' because I wasn't sure who played on them, but
some Indians almost certainly did on Within You, Without You. The drum
sound anyway.
I double checked my Lewissohn book for the above, I half remembered the
story of The Inner Light being recorded by Indians with the Beatles
doing little.

globular

Jan 24, 2009, 8:40:43 AM1/24/09

I've read comments about a Gene Pitney song from about 1962 being the
first eastern sounding song, Mecca, though it reminds me of the B52s.
Then there is the strange case of 'raga' rock. You can listen to
Beatle's music to before 1968, and hear how it's all made up of a
maintaining of a rhythmic and noisy sound,beat examples are on A Hard
Day's Night and maybe much of pop was made this way. Imagine guitar
groups twanging the strings to a beat for the noise of it.
And the met the Byrds in early 1966 and shared this concept between
both, or did I dream that.

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

Jan 24, 2009, 8:56:50 AM1/24/09

"Rich Billionaire" <f...@billionairesclub.com> wrote in message

"Loup - First Indian On The Moon"

Jones

Jan 24, 2009, 2:00:18 PM1/24/09
[I've read comments about a Gene Pitney song from about 1962 being the

first eastern sounding song, Mecca, though it reminds me of the B52s.
Then there is the strange case of 'raga' rock. You can listen to
Beatle's music to before 1968, and hear how it's all made up of a
maintaining of a rhythmic and noisy sound,beat examples are on A Hard
Day's Night and maybe much of pop was made this way. Imagine guitar
groups twanging the strings to a beat for the noise of it. And the met
the Byrds in early 1966 and shared this concept between both, or did I
dream that.]

Not a dream.

Two other little things:

The drone is often considered an eastern musical phenomenon, yet a drone
sound of sorts is present in Love Me Do and perhaps Kathy's Clown [sp?].

The other thing is surf music-hard charging Pulp Fiction-ish rockabilly
lead guitar in some sort of minor key. I always asked myself, if that
wasn't from the surf era, what kind of music would it be perceived as?
And it's like Mata Hari music in my mind, like Egyptian, or maybe
Turkish.

So the eastern thing was always there, like a tree to pluck apples off
of. I think the punctuation-like use of sitar in Norwegian Wood is
eastern's finest moment in the Beatles, although I've seen Tomorrow
Never Knows called musically brilliant.

Timothy J

RichL

Jan 24, 2009, 5:01:48 PM1/24/09
Jones <tlcr...@webtv.net> wrote:

> The other thing is surf music-hard charging Pulp Fiction-ish
> rockabilly lead guitar in some sort of minor key. I always asked
> myself, if that wasn't from the surf era, what kind of music would it
> be perceived as? And it's like Mata Hari music in my mind, like
> Egyptian, or maybe Turkish.

There are direct Eastern linkages in "surf music", most prominently his
version of "Misirlou", which is of Greek/Turkish origin.

RichL

Jan 24, 2009, 5:40:30 PM1/24/09

<oops> his = Dick Dale's

Sean Carroll

Jan 29, 2009, 5:35:19 PM1/29/09
"Jones" <tlcr...@webtv.net> wrote

> The drone is often considered an eastern musical phenomenon, yet a drone
> sound of sorts is present in Love Me Do and perhaps Kathy's Clown [sp?].
>
> The other thing is surf music-hard charging Pulp Fiction-ish rockabilly
> lead guitar in some sort of minor key. I always asked myself, if that
> wasn't from the surf era, what kind of music would it be perceived as?
> And it's like Mata Hari music in my mind, like Egyptian, or maybe
> Turkish.

'Misirlou' was actually based on an old Greek folk song, which I find very
interesting.

No offence, but I also find it very annoying how it's always identified with
Pulp Fiction. Yes, it's a great movie, and I love it. And yes, that's where
*I* first heard the song, too. And yes, it was used very effectively in the
film. But the Dick Dale version alone was around for over *30 YEARS*
previous to the movie! Quentin Tarantino wasn't even BORN yet when it came
out!

--
--Sean
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=1062439264&ref=profile

'I am extremely disappointed. I send you out for exciting new designer
drugs, and you come back with tomato sauce.' --Dr Gregory House

[looking at a child's stuffed toy] 'Okay, elephants are not purple. This is
WRONG.' --Dr Temperance Brennan

Raja

Jan 29, 2009, 7:18:40 PM1/29/09

Isnt it amazing that all of them incredibly suck and all of them were
written by that bozo Harrison.

amy

Jan 30, 2009, 10:41:24 PM1/30/09

Ragay please do not speak you just prove your stupidity each time you
do.

BLACKPOOLJIMMY

Jan 30, 2009, 10:42:42 PM1/30/09

Poor Ragweed

who?

Jan 30, 2009, 11:25:18 PM1/30/09

I don't care for "Within you, without you,...but I love the Indian
influences in Harrison's solo music. I do cut off the last part of
"Brainwashed" though..where it has a
pause in the song. Or maybe I fade it out? It goes on too long.

topaz...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2009, 6:03:04 AM1/31/09

Huh? This is such an unexpected comment. I must admit for myself
that Within You WithOut You was far from my favorite song from that
album when I was younger,r however now that I am older and wiser I
think George's spirituality is so wonderful. Although it may not be
in the same discussion, George's song "It's All Too Much" which has so
many different sounds in it is probably one of the greatest Bealtes
songs of all time. It is amazing people today who were not born when
the Beatles existed as a group.

topaz...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2009, 6:07:18 AM1/31/09
On Jan 29, 7:18 pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am sharing with everyone this longer version of Its All Too Much
which has some lyrics that never made it to the final song; I found
the debate on youtube also interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w36iYgU2zus

I think this is a GREAT SONG. Timeless rock. It is like when George
was asked about the Spice Girls (someone was implying they were so big
they were like the female Beatles) he said "Let's see if their songs
are played in 30 years."
Rest in Peace George!!

topaz...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2009, 6:10:12 AM1/31/09
On Jan 29, 7:18 pm, Raja <zepflo...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am sharing with everyone this longer version of "Its All Too Much"
which is on youtube and as some lyrics that were dropped from the
final song. I really enjoy this song and I think this is a GREAT
timeless song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w36iYgU2zus

I remember when the Spice Girls were a their peak, George was asked
what he thought of them ( with all their excited fans) and he said
something loike "Let's see if their songs are played in 30 years."
Rest in peace George. We still love you.

mcl...@skusd.k12.ca.us

Aug 29, 2018, 12:11:06 PM8/29/18
This has been a great thread for my Music Appreciation class. Thank you!

Norbert K

Aug 29, 2018, 12:18:57 PM8/29/18
I haven't read through the thread, but I'm going to say "Within You, Without You," "Blue Jay Way," and "Love You To."

Personally, I'm not crazy about any of them. The touch of sitar in "Norwegian Wood" worked better, IMO.

P-Dub

Aug 29, 2018, 1:10:42 PM8/29/18
I didn't like 'Within You Without You' until I grew older. I dissected it, and really got into the lyrics. It was an incredible accomplishment. It ties Western styles and life with Eastern Philosophy - both musically and lyrically. I don't think it's pleasing to the ear as anything else on Pepper. But it deserves credit. Nothing like that had ever been done before Pepper. And I can't think of anything that's been done since that quite goes where it goes. George was one of the greatest songwriters of all time.

'Blue Jay Way' doesn't sound Indian to me. Not one of the better Beatles - or Harrison - tunes at all.

'Love you Too' was an early attempt to get sitar involved. It's not really Indian - other than having a sitar in it. Also not my favorite.

'Norwegian Wood' was just brilliant. Not Indian at all. But the sitar in there was something totally new - and started a trend of Indian-sounding stuff by other bands too.

Norbert K

Aug 30, 2018, 8:17:07 AM8/30/18
On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 1:10:42 PM UTC-4, P-Dub wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 12:18:57 PM UTC-4, Norbert K wrote:
> > On Friday, January 23, 2009 at 11:21:57 PM UTC-5, Rich Billionaire wrote:
> > > I heard a Beatles song in a store with a heavy indian sound and a lot
> > > of sitar playing. I loved it. It sounded a lot more Indian than
> > > Norwegian Wood. I don't know what the title is. I couldn't make out
> > > the lyrics either. Can you guys tell me which are the Beatles songs
> > > that sound the most Indian?
> >
> > I haven't read through the thread, but I'm going to say "Within You, Without You," "Blue Jay Way," and "Love You To."
> >
> > Personally, I'm not crazy about any of them. The touch of sitar in "Norwegian Wood" worked better, IMO.
>
> I didn't like 'Within You Without You' until I grew older. I dissected it, and really got into the lyrics. It was an incredible accomplishment. It ties Western styles and life with Eastern Philosophy - both musically and lyrically. I don't think it's pleasing to the ear as anything else on Pepper. But it deserves credit. Nothing like that had ever been done before Pepper. And I can't think of anything that's been done since that quite goes where it goes. George was one of the greatest songwriters of all time.
>
> 'Blue Jay Way' doesn't sound Indian to me. Not one of the better Beatles - or Harrison - tunes at all.
>
> 'Love you Too' was an early attempt to get sitar involved. It's not really Indian - other than having a sitar in it. Also not my favorite.

Not my favorite either, but I think it's pretty experimental. There's a lot of sitar, and Indian percussion, too. Also the time changes between 4/4 and 3/4 a lot. (Is it the first Beatles song to do this, I wonder? I mean, to use regular time changes?)

> 'Norwegian Wood' was just brilliant. Not Indian at all. But the sitar in there was something totally new - and started a trend of Indian-sounding stuff by other bands too.

Yes, the sitar gives NW a hint of exoticism without being excessive or annoying; it works perfectly.

zippl...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2018, 2:59:03 PM8/30/18
On Friday, January 23, 2009 at 10:21:57 PM UTC-6, Rich Billionaire wrote:
> I heard a Beatles song in a store with a heavy indian sound and a lot
> of sitar playing. I loved it. It sounded a lot more Indian than
> Norwegian Wood. I don't know what the title is. I couldn't make out
> the lyrics either. Can you guys tell me which are the Beatles songs
> that sound the most Indian?

The songs that have a sitar in them. Maybe "Love you To".

zippl...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2018, 2:59:39 PM8/30/18
Huh?????????

zippl...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2018, 3:08:05 PM8/30/18
On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 7:17:07 AM UTC-5, Norbert K wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 1:10:42 PM UTC-4, P-Dub wrote:
> > >
> > > I haven't read through the thread, but I'm going to say "Within You, Without You," "Blue Jay Way," and "Love You To."
> > >
> > > Personally, I'm not crazy about any of them. The touch of sitar in "Norwegian Wood" worked better, IMO.
> >
> > I didn't like 'Within You Without You' until I grew older. I dissected it, and really got into the lyrics. It was an incredible accomplishment. It ties Western styles and life with Eastern Philosophy - both musically and lyrically. I don't think it's pleasing to the ear as anything else on Pepper. But it deserves credit. Nothing like that had ever been done before Pepper. And I can't think of anything that's been done since that quite goes where it goes. George was one of the greatest songwriters of all time.
> >
> > 'Blue Jay Way' doesn't sound Indian to me. Not one of the better Beatles - or Harrison - tunes at all.
> >
> > 'Love you Too' was an early attempt to get sitar involved. It's not really Indian - other than having a sitar in it. Also not my favorite.

I always liked it, but not that crappy sitar music you had to
sit though, before Harrison appeared on stage, in his solo career.
Some don't like Linda, some don't like Yoko, but Harrison forcing you to sit
though so much Indian music was insulting, when you paid to
see Harrison.